+ Reply to Thread
    I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar

Ottawa Golf Expo

I think they did a pretty good job creating the online show this year. Of course, an in-person show is always better, but under the circumstances they created something very unique. I watched a video created by David Hearn, specifically for the show...so that was pretty neat.

Ace KOKO72 is on a distinguished road KOKO72's Avatar
    Totally agree....obviously being there in person to talk to vendors, test equipment and just walk around can't be duplicated, I think they have made the best of a bad situation. I can't imagine how much effort had to go into this by both organizers and presenters. Well done.

Bogie ladygolfer13 is on a distinguished road ladygolfer13's Avatar
    I agree did great job. I like walking around the show. Didn’t see any great green fee deals like there have been in past

3 Wood cruxradio is on a distinguished road
    Noticed there's really no 'specials' or golf deals like they'd have at the in-person show.
    If you go to a golf course and click "Show Specials" they are not show specials at all, they are just whatever promos the course had already. The only legitimate show specials I've seen were for Manderley and for Perth.
    Last edited by cruxradio; 03-10-2021 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cruxradio View Post
    A bit of complaint here, there's really no 'specials' or golf deals like they'd have at the in-person show.
    If you go to a golf course and click "Show Specials" they are not show specials at all, they are just whatever promos the course had already. The only legitimate show specials I've seen were for Manderley and for Perth.
    I remember a few years back my Mom got deal at Dragonfly 4 rounds for $100. Not anymore

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cruxradio View Post
    Noticed there's really no 'specials' or golf deals like they'd have at the in-person show.
    Probably because golf is in such high demand this year they don't need to offer them, knowing the moment they open, the tee sheets will be packed.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    Probably because golf is in such high demand this year they don't need to offer them, knowing the moment they open, the tee sheets will be packed.
    Yes definitely see 5-6 hour rounds

Quote Originally Posted by ladygolfer13 View Post
    Where? I haven’t played a round longer than 4.5 hours in years

Ace KOKO72 is on a distinguished road KOKO72's Avatar
    Agreed...even on the busiest days last year a round never was over 4.15 to 4.5 hrs.

Moderator Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 BogeyGolf is on a distinguished road BogeyGolf's Avatar
    To be honest, I did not even though there was a Golf Expo this year...I saw nothing about it....

In the Zone 1800Duffers is on a distinguished road 1800Duffers's Avatar
    Bring back the beer booths!

Quote Originally Posted by ladygolfer13 View Post
    I think I may have had 1 round which was 4:15...all others were 4 or less...with a 4 foursome and a full tee sheet.

It is poor course management when rounds last much longer than 4:30...tee times are too close together ($).

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Me as well ????
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    If courses must maintain the 10-12 minute gap between tee times that they did last year, you're going to play fast. If they're allowed to go back to 7-8 minutes, you're going to play slower.

Championship Cup leftygolfguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by 1800Duffers View Post
    Bring back the beer booths!
    There was a beer booth.. though I am not sure how to drink it virtually.

Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    If courses must maintain the 10-12 minute gap between tee times that they did last year, you're going to play fast. If they're allowed to go back to 7-8 minutes, you're going to play slower.
    Any course offering 7-8 minute intervals is one of the factors which cause of slow play. IMO, it isn't enough time.

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road
    People cant expect to always play quick rounds. It just isnt realistic. A group of good golfers playing in 4 hours or slightly faster is reasonable. But 4 golfers shooting high 90s cant be expected to play just as fast. They are taking 60+ more shots than 4 good golfers. That means more looking for balls and at least another 30min of time.

Quote Originally Posted by golfisforfun View Post
    People cant expect to always play quick rounds. It just isnt realistic. A group of good golfers playing in 4 hours or slightly faster is reasonable. But 4 golfers shooting high 90s cant be expected to play just as fast. They are taking 60+ more shots than 4 good golfers. That means more looking for balls and at least another 30min of time.
    They can. The expectation from a course with good course management protocols would be to ask those to golfers keep up with the group in front. Unfortunately, this means they might need to pick up their ball or not search for every ball they lose. It is a balance between good tee time intervals and maintaining proper pace of play.

It is not "ok" for golfers to be standing on the tee waiting. There should be a smooth, uninterrupted flow from hole to hole. It is not difficult....and if that is accomplished them a round is completed in about 4 hours.

3 Wood Jasonreg is on a distinguished road
    I agree. There are many things folks can do to speed up play - and none of them take away from the experience IMO. For the record I am not an advocate of racing around the course, not putting out or taking unreasonable gimmies, and generally breaking every rue of golf along the way. It does not impress me when I hear someone say they played in 3 hours - I am more impressed by a good score on a challenging course.

However, pace of play can be significantly improved by playing ready golf.

Ready golf is not getting ready but then waiting for your "turn" - it is walking directly to your ball, conducting whatever your pre-shot routine is, and then hitting your ball assuming you are not interfering with anyone else's shot. It is not spending 3 minutes searching for a ball in the woods when you would not be able to pay the ball anyways. It is keeping up with the group ahead of you. Period. It is putting out when you are ready, not necessarily waiting for someone to pace off their putt and study the green - if this is their routine - I have no problem with it, but don't be annoyed if I putt ahead of you. Leave the flag in. When you are done putting, go to the next tee box and tee off when you are ready and it is safe to do so. I could go on.

We often put groups of 6-8 juniors out at the same tee time - guess what - they are taught ready golf, they play every shot and they stay on pace. Our pace objective staggers throughout the day, but it starts at a goal of 3+30 from 7am to 8am, 3+45 from 8am to 9am and Sub-4 hours for the rest of the day. It works and we like it, but we communicate Pace of Play initiatives and reminders at pretty much every opportunity - it doesn't happen by wishing it so, it takes a commitment of everyone playing, the course staff, marshals and leadership. It can be done.

Rant over.

Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road
    One of the biggest reasons golf became so unpopular. Too expensive and took too long to play. I watch bad golfers play in under 4 hours all the time. Play the right tee. Play ready golf. Limit searches for golf balls that are clearly unfindable. It’s not only possible to play in under 4 hours regardless of skill but probable. To be honest the slowest rounds I’ve watched are at the A class intersectionals a couple years back when there was an hour between groups. Guys grinding over shots like there was a million on the line. That or the second round of the LPGA event at the Hunt. Groups were over 5 hours; some close to 5.5 hours. Love the skill on the LPGA tour but it’s so painful to watch.

3 Wood Jasonreg is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnyc View Post
    Play the right tee.
    Yes, classic reason. I see folks that cannot carry 200 yards off the tips and I cringe. Play forward, enjoy the game. One of the best things I have seen on our range is a colour coding aligned generally with the tees. If your average drive is taking you to the white stakes - play the white tees, blues - blues and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonreg View Post
    Yes, classic reason. I see folks that cannot carry 200 yards off the tips and I cringe. Play forward, enjoy the game. One of the best things I have seen on our range is a colour coding aligned generally with the tees. If your average drive is taking you to the white stakes - play the white tees, blues - blues and so on.
    Game is so much more enjoyable when played from the correct tees. Pre COVID we had a guy come from one of reciprocals in Montreal for 18 holes. Pro shop asked if he could join me and I of course I was glad to have him along. Very nice guy; a dentist. Not a bad player, maybe a 12 handicap. Walking to the first tee he says he’s playing the gold’s, our championship tees. I’m a 5 and I played the blues. He didn’t break 110 and said the course was in very good shape but was super unfair. I thought to myself he’s driven two hours and didn’t make a par all day. I’ll never get that. But see it all the time.

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road
    This is part of the problem with golf. I see people commenting that playing the wrong tees is not enjoyable, that players should pick up in their ball to keep up etc etc...

Let every golfer decide what is enjoyable for them. If someone enjoys playing from the tips and shooting 100, that is their choice.

There is no way a group that takes 60 to 80 more shots than another group should be expected to play in the same amount of time, that is simply stupid.

I do not enjoy a 3h30 min round and I am a 4 hcp. I am very happy strolling around playing 4h to 4h15. I am out to golf and enjoy my tme and relax.

This idea of "keep up with the group ahead of you" is flawed big time. What if the group ahead plays really fast and are great golfers and your group is average pace and average ability. What if the group ahead is a 3some and you are a 4some?

If you want to enforce pace of play, you need a timeline, not a "group ahead of you" policy. If you tell me that front 9 is 2hrs and back 9 is 2h10 min then leave me alone and let me play in that time frame and dont talk to me about the group ahead of me.

This is part of the problem with golf. I see people commenting that playing the wrong tees is not enjoyable, that players should pick up in their ball to keep up etc etc...

Let every golfer decide what is enjoyable for them. If someone enjoys playing from the tips and shooting 100, that is their choice.

There is no way a group that takes 60 to 80 more shots than another group should be expected to play in the same amount of time, that is simply stupid.

I do not enjoy a 3h30 min round and I am a 4 hcp. I am very happy strolling around playing 4h to 4h15. I am out to golf and enjoy my tme and relax.

This idea of "keep up with the group ahead of you" is flawed big time. What if the group ahead plays really fast and are great golfers and your group is average pace and average ability. What if the group ahead is a 3some and you are a 4some?

If you want to enforce pace of play, you need a timeline, not a "group ahead of you" policy. If you tell me that front 9 is 2hrs and back 9 is 2h10 min then leave me alone and let me play in that time frame and dont talk to me about the group ahead of me.
    Sure, so long as you let others groups play through no issue. You enjoy your day and the quicker players enjoy theirs. Everyone wins. I don’t get not enjoying a 3:30 round, but that’s just me and to each their own. It’s like slower cars on a four line highway. Nobody says you have to drive quickly, but if you are slow move to the right side, especially if you see traffic stacking up behind you.

Sand Wedge Bobbert is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    Where? I haven’t played a round longer than 4.5 hours in years
    The Canadian on a Saturday is guaranteed to be a long day. I only played the 18 hole course a handful of times last year, but twice they were 10 -15 minutes behind on the first tee.

Amateur rview1 is on a distinguished road
    The basic problem,as i see it, with the whole pace of play issue in golf is that people don't seem aware of the concept that we are "sharing the playing surface" ie.the golf course, so what we do can affect the enjoyment of other people playing around us.
    The philosophy of "i pay my money so i have a right to disregard those around me" shows a lack of awareness to the idea that we are not in a bubble on the course but again in a shared space with a built in spacing and timing (ie.spacing in tee times).
    If i don't have the skill to play from the tips then playing there increases the difficulty and will add time and slow the pace.
    Similairly i never understood a group's reluctance to allow a group or players to play through,when in most cases it increase the enjoyment of both parties.
    Equally as bad is the better group pressing or racing to make slower group uncomfortable.
    There are tons of ways for people to be "efficient" on the course and still have a fun and enjoyable outing.It simply comes down to awareness and mutual respect.
    Just as a noisy group in a movie theatre would ruin the experience of those around them, lack of awareness on a golf course has the same effect.

Few times last year at nation

Administrator MikeRaganold is on a distinguished road MikeRaganold's Avatar
    Kinda lost me how any of this is relevant to OTTAWA GOLF EXPO thread.

Its important to maintain the topic and see if the Ottawa Golf community feels there is value in the VIRTUAL GOLF EXPO format and if it is relevant???

Unfortunately, golfers might think playing the tips is enjoyable for them and if they do, go for it, but you have to keep pace, end of story. If you can't you're playing from the wrong tees and the marshals should step in and ask them to pick up and move on. We're all sharing the same course and there is a requirement to keep pace and most courses have a guideline of what that should be.

And if there is a hole or two open in front of you and you are keeping pace, then you need to start letting groups play through.

8 Iron cpal is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbert View Post
    The Canadian on a Saturday is guaranteed to be a long day. I only played the 18 hole course a handful of times last year, but twice they were 10 -15 minutes behind on the first tee.
    I have no idea what they are thinking at that course. I've never got off on time there. Even before last year.

Thread Information