CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Bogie tmacgolf is on a distinguished road tmacgolf's Avatar

Another summer of full time sheets and memberships?!

As some of you may have seen in a recent post, as a result of several life factors, I am back in the position to play lots of golf this season so was on the hunt for a membership. I hadn't bothered to purchase one for the last few years as I knew I would not be playing enough to justify it.

I was somewhat surprised when I started contacting various clubs and courses, both private and semi-private, to learn that many were not currently accepting new members and are in a waitlist situation.
    I assume I won't be the only person looking for this season, so hopefully, anyone who hasn't already made their arrangements are able to find a place that meets their needs.
    I'm not sure if it's appropriate or not to list the specific courses that informed me of waitlists, so I will hold off, but I was at least 5 that had either fully closed the lists or at least some of the categories (e.g. no new intermediate being accepted).

I was also wondering if there are courses that have very high caps, thus causing a bit of difficulty even for full privilege members? Are there courses that were not in a position to impose caps in the past that have had to do so due to recent conditions? Just found it interesting. Good for the local courses, but perhaps not great for anyone waiting too long to make a decision.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I think part of the problem last year was that the amount of play for the existing membership was WAY up along with other factors like reduced number of tee times because of Covid protocols.

I'm a member at RideauView and we increased our tee time spacing from 9 minutes to 10. So right away we had 11% fewer tee times. Add to the mix the number of people who were either off from work or had much more flexible hours and our tee sheet was essentially full from the first tee time of the day until 6 or 7 PM pretty much all summer.

Hard to predict if that will continue this year or not but hopefully we'll move back to 9 min this year.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

In the Zone 1800Duffers is on a distinguished road 1800Duffers's Avatar
    It will be busy at the courses again and difficult to find a tee time. People will be working from home and may take a break to golf.

1 Iron john8888 is on a distinguished road
    John Finlayson
    Chief Operating Officer
    ClubLink Corporation

One of our biggest priorities will be accommodating the expected demand for tee times. The extraordinary increase in demand we experienced from Members last season has led us to review our tee time booking policies and procedures along with the privileges associated with certain membership categories.
    We have concluded that it will be necessary to make some adjustments to maximize access to the tee. There is more to consider but we want to provide you with an update on what has been decided thus far:

Member Count Limitations – We have implemented a waiting list for new Members at a number of our Clubs that have reached capacity and we’ve halted the sale of Intermediate and Junior memberships at all of our Clubs.

Expanded Hours of Operation – Our Turf Superintendents have come up with some innovative workplans and scheduling to allow for earlier openings Monday to Friday. This will create more tee time inventory and not compromise playing conditions.

Corporate Events – These rounds were down substantially in 2020. We plan to again strategically and significantly keep our Corporate Event rounds down at our Member Clubs to increase the availability of tee times to our Members.

Social Members and Guest Play - Social Members and guests will not have access to play prior to 11 a.m. on weekends and holidays at Member Clubs.
    Full Privilege and Restricted Junior Members – Restrictions on access to the tee have been adjusted to free up more inventory for Full Golf Members Wednesday through Sunday. Juniors are very important to us and we recognize them as Full Golf Members of the future. However, these temporary measures are necessary at this time to maximize availability for Full Golf Members.

Should the demand for golf return to more normal levels at some point during the season, we will be prepared to readjust accordingly.

We are making progress with our technology partner to complete the necessary enhancements to our online booking engine to ensure it will perform in 2021. The five-day window and staggered approach to daily opening of the booking system will continue, although we are planning some adjustments to ensure the process is equitable and effective.

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    The exact reason I didn't wait. I chose Hylands and signed up in November. As the season gets closer, even more people will look into memberships.

Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road
    I think we will see much of the same. Our membership categories are capped. Waits lists continue to grow. Initiation fee has gone up. Guest play was suspended although I do think this return, albeit in a modified format. Our tee times were already at 10 minute intervals so no change there. The vaccine rollout has been significantly slower than what I expected. I don’t see much different this year. Next year we are likely to find some semblance to pre covid but I truly believe golf courses will be packed again this year. People’s disposable / discretionary dollars are going to be spent somewhere and with so many other options off the table it’s where people are spending their money

Posting Sensei justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    New memberships were capped at Metcalfe back in the fall and a waiting list put in place- I don't think that has ever happened before. Tee sheets were packed last year with longer tee time intervals - and there were hardly any tournaments at all. In the past I would often show up at the course without a tee time booked at twilight when the course is not usually busy - not last year.

I think 2021 will be an interesting year for golf courses...

Scratch Player Gobble_It is on a distinguished road Gobble_It's Avatar
    With the vaccines coming, I think this summer will be less congested on the golf courses . Once the oldies >50years old have been vaccinated (hopefully by the end of June), restrictions will be relaxed and the younger folks with have other things to do and will stay away from the courses.

Last year I saw lots more youngsters playing in the time slots you don't expect them to - early weekend mornings. Some of them might continue on with golf but we will have to see.

End of June is beyond optimistic. I'm 55 and not expecting to get vaccinated until probably August based on the current news.

3 Wood Jasonreg is on a distinguished road
    Another RV opinion here but personally I like the 10 min tee times. I am convinced that though it reduced the overall inventory, it was material to the increase in the pace of play. Sub 4 hour rounds are now the norm with no back ups on really any tee to the point where a 4 hour round almost feels slow. I think that between the changes in categories and the slow easing of restrictions, it will be a version of last year, but we will see slightly less traffic day in, day out. More interested to find out if we will have an open clubhouse and more representative F&B - that I am not so sure about.

I know this might sound crazy; I have no issue paying to a member at a private course, but I always feel ripped off on the FB side. I find the food to be average and overpriced. Drinks prices are basically what you’d pay at a Sens / Redblacks game. I’d just as soon dramatically scale back the whole FB enterprise, go with breakfast, drinks and bbq options daily. You’re either a golf course or a restaurant but it’s hard to be both.

Personally I think we are fall and into the winter for the vaccines to reach 75% of the population and that’s assuming no breaks in the supply chain and a population that wishes to receive it. As such I don’t see much difference this year. Hope I’m wrong.

Our annual FB minimum is so low ($600) that it's really just an after thought.

I haven't been to a Sens game if forever but our beverage prices are much lower than what you'd pay for a crappy beer there.

Yeah I’m at $1,500 before tax and gratuity for our minimum. A can of coors light was $11 last year. Again, just my beef. Seems like nobody else cares about such things so I keep my mouth shut but it’s the one side of the business, as I noted above, that I hope they consider moving in a different direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnyc View Post
    Yeah I’m at $1,500 before tax and gratuity for our minimum. A can of coors light was $11 last year. Again, just my beef. Seems like nobody else cares about such things so I keep my mouth shut but it’s the one side of the business, as I noted above, that I hope they consider moving in a different direction.
    Jesus that's crazy. Our minimum is inclusive of tax/grat and a can is usually $5 or $6.

Fairway Junkie Michael is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Jesus that's crazy. Our minimum is inclusive of tax/grat and a can is usually $5 or $6.
    Agreed, that sounds crazy, 11 bucks for a Coors light!!

[QUOTE=jvincent;569032]Jesus that's crazy. Our minimum is inclusive of tax/grat and a can is usually $5 or $6.

Yeah the exclusive of tax and grat FB minimum means it’s actually a little more than $2,000 you need to spend.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Agreed, that sounds crazy, 11 bucks for a Coors light!!
    I feel that way too. And again, the price of golf doesn’t bother me, but this chaps my ass.

I don't mind paying a fair price for a premium quality meal or drink, but I don't consider an $11 Coor's light either fair or quality. When you say exclusive of tax and gratuity, does that mean that a percentage is automatically added on to each transaction and doesn't count towards your minimum or is the expectation that you are adding tips when you "sign off"? I thought most clubs included the gratuities and that it was not expected or accepted to tip. Perhaps it is different from club to club.

Quote Originally Posted by tmacgolf View Post
    I don't mind paying a fair price for a premium quality meal or drink, but I don't consider an $11 Coor's light either fair or quality. When you say exclusive of tax and gratuity, does that mean that a percentage is automatically added on to each transaction and doesn't count towards your minimum or is the expectation that you are adding tips when you "sign off"? I thought most clubs included the gratuities and that it was not expected or accepted to tip. Perhaps it is different from club to club.
    For example the $11 coors light is inclusive of taxes and tip. But when it comes to the minimum only the base cost is deducted from your minimum spend. So in this case approximately $8 counts towards your FB minimum, the taxes and tip do not. Taxes and tip are automatically applied to everything. If I were to grab a chocalte bar or an apple at the halfway hut they add taxes and 18% gratify to the transaction.

Forum Jedi XTOUR is on a distinguished road XTOUR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnyc View Post
    For example the $11 coors light is inclusive of taxes and tip. But when it comes to the minimum only the base cost is deducted from your minimum spend. So in this case approximately $8 counts towards your FB minimum, the taxes and tip do not. Taxes and tip are automatically applied to everything. If I were to grab a chocalte bar or an apple at the halfway hut they add taxes and 18% gratify to the transaction.
    when I played in a tournament at Kanata, I paid the total and then proceeded to tip. ONly after did someone tell me the gratuity was included.
    Proud member of the 2010, 2011 ,2012 OG vs TGN RYDER CUP
    Captain of 2012 Team OG Ryder Cup Champions!

Putter golfguy4867 is on a distinguished road
    COVID or not, there will be more golfers looking for a place to play, at least in the West end of town, due to Stonebridge not being open.

Quote Originally Posted by em69 View Post
    The exact reason I didn't wait. I chose Hylands and signed up in November. As the season gets closer, even more people will look into memberships.
    Based on what I was told, unless you are an active military member, you made the right call to join early!

Thread Information