+ Reply to Thread
    Bogie tmacgolf is on a distinguished road tmacgolf's Avatar

Membership Recommendations

Perhaps a thread with the info I'm looking for already exists, but I could not seem to find one. Basically, I'm trying to decide where to purchase a membership for 2021 and am interested in some suggestions/opinions. Here are some quick details that may frame any feedback you might want to provide:

1. Previous membership Stonebridge
    2. Live in Barrhaven
    3. 45 years old
    4. Will purchase 7 day anytime membership
    5. HATE slow rounds (so usually try to play very early)
    6. Don't want to have to travel too far to play
    7. Budget $4,000ish
    8. Currently considering Equinelle and The Marshes *prefer to walk so Marshes not a great option for that
    9. Index 9ish
    10. may also purchase a membership for my 16-year-old daughter or just pay to play when she wants to join me (this is not really high on the decision factor list but is something I am keeping in mind)
    Thanks for sharing any thoughts or alternate ideas.

Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road
    A couple quick comments for anyone considering locking into a membership;
    Your index doesn’t matter to anyone but you. I play with guys who are +2.8 and guys who cannot break 120. So long as everyone maintains a steady pace of play I could honestly care less. You’ll find as part of a club people will gravitate towards playing with nice people who don’t blow their tops, who encourage others and who play quickly. Also, when it comes to budget make sure you get all the fine print. Initiation fees first and foremost. Many courses have a food and beverage minimum. Some courses have levies or other “one time” debt payments or capital costs. We pay tax and 18% on all food/drinks. Hearing through the grapevine that a number of courses have waiting lists. Buddy of mine tried to get his friend signed up at our course and he’s number 31 on a waiting list in the intermediate category and was told it’s likely to be 3-5 years. Awesome that you’re getting your daughter out! Given the budget and launching base in Barhaven there are plenty of good options. Most courses will host you for a “recruitment” visit to come and dip your toe in to see what the course has to offer. Emerald Links and Carleton would both be within your budget and within 15 minutes of Barhaven. Good luck to you!
    Last edited by Johnyc; 02-06-2021 at 10:36 AM.

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    Not sure if you considered Hylands. I am also in Barrhaven so it is less than 15min to the course. If you really hate slow rounds then you would enjoy Hylands. No matter what time of day, rounds are always 4:15 or less. 2 courses to choose from with an amazing practice facility.

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road
    Greyhawk (Clublink) has a huge range, 36 holes, a nice bar/restaurant and gives you access to other Clublink courses here and in other cities.
    Probably 35 to 40 minutes from Barrhaven.
    Under your $4,000 budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnyc View Post
    A couple quick comments for anyone considering locking into a membership;
    Your index doesn’t matter to anyone but you. I play with guys who are +2.8 and guys who cannot break 120. So long as everyone maintains a steady pace of play I could honestly care less. You’ll find as part of a club people will gravitate towards playing with nice people who don’t blow their tops, who encourage others and who play quickly. Also, when it comes to budget make sure you get all the fine print. Initiation fees first and foremost. Many courses have a food and beverage minimum. Some courses have levies or other “one time” debt payments or capital costs. We pay tax and 18% on all food/drinks. Hearing through the grapevine that a number of courses have waiting lists. Buddy of mine tried to get his friend signed up at our course and he’s number 31 on a waiting list in the intermediate category and was told it’s likely to be 3-5 years. Awesome that you’re getting your daughter out! Given the budget and launching base in Barhaven there are plenty of good options. Most courses will host you for a “recruitment” visit to come and dip your toe in to see what the course has to offer. Emerald Links and Carleton would both be within your budget and within 15 minutes of Barhaven. Good luck to you!
    Thanks for the info. Yes, I don't worry about index either and love that I can play with friends of any ability, I only included it because I thought it might frame the level/caliber of course I was looking to join. I have been a member of a course for much of my life so am very comfortable with the ins and outs of memberships, but the only course I have ever been a member of in Ottawa was Stonebridge. I have played many courses in Ottawa but was curious which ones people might suggest. I hadn't considered at all that memberships might be full/capped right now and as soon as I read your comment about that started calling around. One of my first choices responded already and said they are currently in a waitlist situation, so no guarantee they are even taking new members currently. Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by em69 View Post
    Not sure if you considered Hylands. I am also in Barrhaven so it is less than 15min to the course. If you really hate slow rounds then you would enjoy Hylands. No matter what time of day, rounds are always 4:15 or less. 2 courses to choose from with an amazing practice facility.
    Thanks for the tip. I will be honest that I mistakenly thought it wasn't an option for anyone who was not a member of the military, police, etc..After ready your comment, I looked into it and have followed up with the course requesting information about availability.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by golfisforfun View Post
    Greyhawk (Clublink) has a huge range, 36 holes, a nice bar/restaurant and gives you access to other Clublink courses here and in other cities.
    Probably 35 to 40 minutes from Barrhaven.
    Under your $4,000 budget.
    Thanks. I looked at Clublink, and once I factor in initiation, yearly fees and fodd/bev. minimums it is over my self-imposed budget.

Thank you for sharing the updates. Keep us posted. I’m sure others are in a similar situation and considering their options.

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by tmacgolf View Post
    Thanks. I looked at Clublink, and once I factor in initiation, yearly fees and fodd/bev. minimums it is over my self-imposed budget.
    Weird... I joined last year and the dues are $3300+ tax for me (46 years old) and no f&b minimum at all... Initiation is payable interest free over 20 years which ends being less than $200 per year.

anyways, best of luck

Quote Originally Posted by golfisforfun View Post
    Weird... I joined last year and the dues are $3300+ tax for me (46 years old) and no f&b minimum at all... Initiation is payable interest free over 20 years which ends being less than $200 per year.

anyways, best of luck
    Weird because it says right on the website that there is a FB minimum. I can tell you that our course waived the FB minimum last year due to the pandemic but my minimum is $1,500 annually preceding tax and 18% gratuity which is added to every item. We received confirmation that the full cost has resumed this year. I’d bet that’s what happened at Clublink too. You might want to check into it.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I think @Johnyc is probably right about last year's FB being waived. Ours was waived as well. Of course once our patio opened spent way more than my minimum anyway.

I think this year is going to be very different for membership deals, or lack thereof. With the huge surge last year every club/course saw record numbers of players and it looks like the same will be true this year although maybe not to the same extent. I think pretty much every private club has a waiting list now and the pressure on tee times at public clubs is going to be high again.

Stonebridge being closed for the season isn't going to help with tee time shortages either.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

I can confirm based on all of my calls that FB min. are back in effect this year (including Clublink courses) and there certainly aren't many discounts on initiations or dues out there either. So far I have heard from three public courses that they are full for memberships this year. I have made my decision and am happy to have found a place to tee it up this summer now that Stonebridge is gone, but I didn't expect it to be this difficult. I'm glad for the courses and for the game in general, but it is too bad that it too a pandemic to give the industry the shot in the arm.

1 Iron john8888 is on a distinguished road
    Clublink COO – Nov 9,2020

We’ve halted the sale of Intermediate and Junior memberships at all of our Clubs.

In 2020, we decided to temporarily waive our food and beverage minimums. We don’t anticipate a big change to the hospitality environment next season, so we’ve decided to waive the food and beverage minimums once again in 2021

Also

Existing Club link members earn a MEMBERSHIP FEE VALUE REWARD each year they are members. The $$ in this account can be used to pay off (or zero out) a family member or friends initiation fee.

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    I think @Johnyc is probably right about last year's FB being waived. Ours was waived as well. Of course once our patio opened spent way more than my minimum anyway.

I think this year is going to be very different for membership deals, or lack thereof. With the huge surge last year every club/course saw record numbers of players and it looks like the same will be true this year although maybe not to the same extent. I think pretty much every private club has a waiting list now and the pressure on tee times at public clubs is going to be high again.

Stonebridge being closed for the season isn't going to help with tee time shortages either.
    Has Rideau View further tightened tee sheet restrictions for intermediate members? I believe this issue is coming to head at Hunt. There are restrictions 7 days a week but I’m hearing these could be expanded with that course as busy as it was last year.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnyc View Post
    Has Rideau View further tightened tee sheet restrictions for intermediate members? I believe this issue is coming to head at Hunt. There are restrictions 7 days a week but I’m hearing these could be expanded with that course as busy as it was last year.
    We created a restricted intermediate category that has lower fees than the fully privileged intermediate category. The full priv category had a big rate hike but they have no restrictions.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Forum Jedi XTOUR is on a distinguished road XTOUR's Avatar
    I can confirm based on all of my calls that FB min. are back in effect this year (including Clublink courses) and there certainly aren't many discounts on initiations or dues out there either. So far I have heard from three public courses that they are full for memberships this year. I have made my decision and am happy to have found a place to tee it up this summer now that Stonebridge is gone, but I didn't expect it to be this difficult. I'm glad for the courses and for the game in general, but it is too bad that it too a pandemic to give the industry the shot in the arm.
    May I ask where you decided to join?
    Proud member of the 2010, 2011 ,2012 OG vs TGN RYDER CUP
    Captain of 2012 Team OG Ryder Cup Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by XTOUR View Post
    May I ask where you decided to join?
    I don't mind at all. I have submitted my application to Carleton.

Quote Originally Posted by john8888 View Post
    Clublink COO – Nov 9,2020

We’ve halted the sale of Intermediate and Junior memberships at all of our Clubs.

In 2020, we decided to temporarily waive our food and beverage minimums. We don’t anticipate a big change to the hospitality environment next season, so we’ve decided to waive the food and beverage minimums once again in 2021

Also

Existing Club link members earn a MEMBERSHIP FEE VALUE REWARD each year they are members. The $$ in this account can be used to pay off (or zero out) a family member or friends initiation fee.

Hope this helps
    Not that it matters, but when I inquired about Kanata, I was told all the relevant prices and fees, including the food and bev. cost but was never told it would not apply this year. Would not have swayed my decision but seems like it might have been a factor to mention specific to this year's costs to join.

Golf Nut nice_lag is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post

It'll also be interesting to see if it impacts the Hunt... I believe that the Hunt had an agreement with Stonebridge to book tee-times for their members because it was so busy... if they maintain the same levels, will the Hunt Club enter into an agreement with another course?
    nice_lag
    Almonte

Gap Wedge Stonebridge is on a distinguished road Stonebridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nice_lag View Post
    I believe that the Hunt had an agreement with Stonebridge to book tee-times for their members because it was so busy...
    We had no agreements with Ottawa Hunt.
    Web: www.stonebridgegc.com Twitter: @StonebridgeClub Facebook: www.facebook.com/StonebridgeClub

Golf Nut nice_lag is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonebridge View Post
    We had no agreements with Ottawa Hunt.
    Thanks for clarifying this... came to me from an Asst Pro... maybe I misunderstood him... Thanks again.
    nice_lag
    Almonte

Quote Originally Posted by nice_lag View Post
    It'll also be interesting to see if it impacts the Hunt... I believe that the Hunt had an agreement with Stonebridge to book tee-times for their members because it was so busy... if they maintain the same levels, will the Hunt Club enter into an agreement with another course?
    When the LPGA came to Hunt in 2017 we were given lottery ballots to play a number of local courses while our track was closed for member play. I cannot recall if stonebridge was on the list of courses we could play at. If memory serves it was all the local private clubs. There has never been an agreement for Stonebridge members to come and play at Hunt.

Regarding the tee sheet it was full last year and that’s a first in my 11 years there. The number of rounds went up significantly and although the course was in the same prestine condition the greens weren’t as quick as they were cautious with the foot traffic. The stimp speeds were posted daily and it was generally in the 10.2 to 11.0 range, a tick below average.

I am sure, at least to start, that the course will be as busy this year. I also have to believe that despite the large revenue stream it introduces that guest play will be paused, again at least to start.

3 Iron Noonan is on a distinguished road
    I don't mind at all. I have submitted my application to Carleton.
    You’ll enjoy Carleton. I was a member there in 2018.
    Great membership and good conditions. You could also play super early as long as you yield to the maintenance staff. Great for super quick early morning rounds.

Thread Information