+ Reply to Thread
    Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar

Question yellow or red hazard

Situation:

Par 3 with a lake between (yellow hazard) the tee off and the green. There is also a small river running up from the lake to the left side of the green (red hazard).

I hit my tee shot on the green and then the ball rolled in the river “lateral hazard”. Where do I drop the ball? Do I have to go back in front of the lake “Yellow sticks” and ignore the fact that the ball was in play and rolled in the lateral hazard?

Thanks
    Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    Sounds to me like it last crossed the lateral hazard so you can drop within 2 club lengths of that spot, no closer to the hole. Other options under lateral hazrd seem less appealing - play your next shot from where you originally hit the shot that ended up in the water; drop on the other side of the hazard equidistant from where the ball crossed the hazard.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by powerlefty
    Sounds to me like it last crossed the lateral hazard so you can drop within 2 club lengths of that spot, no closer to the hole. Other options under lateral hazrd seem less appealing - play your next shot from where you originally hit the shot that ended up in the water; drop on the other side of the hazard equidistant from where the ball crossed the hazard.
    A pro told me that the yellow hazard was the ruling applied in this situation. I did not believe that at the moment and I can’t find any official ruling for this issue.

Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mberube
    I did not believe that at the moment and I can’t find any official ruling for this issue.
    I believe the text outlined in bold applies in your case:

26-1. Relief for Ball in Water Hazard
    It is a question of fact whether a ball lost after having been struck toward a water hazard is lost inside or outside the hazard. In order to treat the ball as lost in the hazard, there must be reasonable evidence that the ball lodged in it. In the absence of such evidence, the ball must be treated as a lost ball and Rule 27 applies.

If a ball is in or is lost in a water hazard (whether the ball lies in water or not), the player may under penalty of one stroke:

a. Play a ball as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played (see Rule 20-5); or
    b. Drop a ball behind the water hazard, keeping the point at which the original ball last crossed the margin of the water hazard directly between the hole and the spot on which the ball is dropped, with no limit to how far behind the water hazard the ball may be dropped; or
    c. As additional options available only if the ball last crossed the margin of a lateral water hazard, drop a ball outside the water hazard within two club-lengths of and not nearer the hole than (i) the point where the original ball last crossed the margin of the water hazard or (ii) a point on the opposite margin of the water hazard equidistant from the hole.

[COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Putter historian is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by mberube
    A pro told me that the yellow hazard was the ruling applied in this situation. I did not believe that at the moment and I can’t find any official ruling for this issue.
    I don't think you need to seek an official ruling -- it's right there in rule 26-1b and c

Your reference is the point where the "...ball last crossed the margin of the water hazard"

So if your ball rolled off the green into the lateral water hazard, then any other margins the ball may have crossed on its way to the green are not relevant.

Sand Wedge Hogeboom is on a distinguished road
    Seems simple enough. The ball last crossed the margin at a lateral hazard, therefore your can invoke the lateral hazard rule. Your options are:

1. Drop within 2 club lengths of the spot where the ball last crossed the margin (no closer to the hole);
    2. (if possible) drop within 2 club lengths on the other side of the river;
    3. (if possible) also on the other side of the river: drop anywhere along a straight line between the hole and the spot where the ball crossed the margin.
    4. Re-hit from your previous spot.
    5. Play the ball as it lies, in the hazard.

#2 and #3 may not be possible, as the river may be impassible. #1 may also be impossible, as there may be no spot on the green that isn't closer to the hole.

Thread Information