CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    3 Wood funk-like is on a distinguished road

Round 2 of the Citizen

Does anyone know what the low score was today at Stonebridge? I played, and the conditions were tough. Fairways were soggy and wind was a factor. Its probably too soon to know what the cut was, but does anyone know what the low score was?

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    I caddied for a buddy of mine and one of the guys in our group was 73 and I later saw another 73 but all the low first round guys were out in the afternoon and I think the wind a wet fairways may play with some of them. I think that the pins were actually there for the taking and not stupid like the times I've played there. I figure there will be a handfull under par. When we were sitting around after the round the guys were talking about the cut and thinking it may be 163 or 164.

King Hawk Sphere Hunter is on a distinguished road Sphere Hunter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gbower
    I caddied for a buddy of mine and one of the guys in our group was 73 and I later saw another 73 but all the low first round guys were out in the afternoon and I think the wind a wet fairways may play with some of them. I think that the pins were actually there for the taking and not stupid like the times I've played there. I figure there will be a handfull under par. When we were sitting around after the round the guys were talking about the cut and thinking it may be 163 or 164.
    What does 74 + 92 add up to?
    What a day! My worst round of golf in 20 years.
    May have to switch to right-handed!
    Someone shot a 67 out there today. He must have quit after 16 holes or something?

SH

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sphere Hunter
    What does 74 + 92 add up to?
    What a day! My worst round of golf in 20 years.
    May have to switch to right-handed!
    Someone shot a 67 out there today. He must have quit after 16 holes or something?

SH
    OK, I have to ask, how did you manage a 92? Did you get into fescue trouble on more than one hole? Trouble with the water?

I ask, because I play SB all the time and I am always surprised at the high numbers that come out of the Citizen tournament from folks with relatively low handicaps.

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent
    OK, I have to ask, how did you manage a 92? Did you get into fescue trouble on more than one hole? Trouble with the water?

I ask, because I play SB all the time and I am always surprised at the high numbers that come out of the Citizen tournament from folks with relatively low handicaps.
    3 holes.

WEST 2

The wind was blowing hard left to right on 2.and the green is smaller than it looks from the tee. Dropped two in the water. Third in the bunker. Soggy wet sand couldn't take a chance finessing it. Score 8 haven't done that since my first year of golf.

WEST 9

Fescue. Tried to finesse a 7 iron. Mistake. 5 wacks later. on the green two putts. 8 Next time. I'm taking my sand wedge and swinging as hard as I can. That stuff is jail.

EAST 7.

Aim over the trees on the corner. Hitting a cut all day. Hit a hook. Reload. 13 over par on 3 holes.

Before you can blink. Depressing in a way but you get back on the horse and do it again. It was my first tournament and I have to admit it's a blast. Those jitters on the first tee are awesome, feeling the pressure, is better.

Good luck to all those that made it through to round 3.

Driver Adska is on a distinguished road
    It was a tough day out there today! A 92 can happen in a heartbeat at Stonebridge.

Jay Thomsen from Rideauview shot the 67. That is an incredible score.

I don't know about the morning, but by 6:30 those greens were SLOW.

Putter kitabur is on a distinguished road kitabur's Avatar
    Jay Thompson was 67--Chris Bernard was 70--Roch Lalond was 70

Quote Originally Posted by Andru
    .... Andru's long day snipped ....>
    That makes sense, and I can definitely see it happening, since I have had those kinds of holes myself from time to time.

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gbower
    I think that the pins were actually there for the taking and not stupid like the times I've played there.
    I played after the tournament ended and you're right about the pins. I counted 9 of the pins in what I consider to be their easiest position. 7 of them were in middle difficulty position (some of them still pretty easy). Only 2 were in the hardest position and those were on two of the easiest holes on the course.

The fairways were definitely pretty wet and it seemed like they must not have mowed them because they were a little shaggy for Stonebridge too.

Can anyone comment on how they treated some of the slightly muddy areas in the fairways? I didn't notice any 'Ground Under Repair' signs or white paint surrounding them. Were the players given any specific instructions?

MJF

There were not many GUR areas at all. I had one situation where I was in casual water, and that was on 6.

What is Talon like? It's doubtful to be able to get a practice round in there, isn't it??

I won't give you the blow by blow but I can describe the day as ugly from start to finish. I hurt my back looking for a ball in the fescue on the first hole. I stepped into a 12" deep hole without seeing it. The entire day I hit it sideways. I was really kind of lucky that I kept finding my ball time and time again. On the final hole I went 5 off the tee for a nice little 9. Number 2 is a 187 par three over water and into a very hard wind. I hit my 5 wood short into the water hazard. Then teed up a second ball and hit the same 5 wood over the green into the hazard. Stonebridge is the wrong place to be playing when your guessing.

SH

Oh ya, one more thing. I shot 32 on the back nine in the first round at Kanata and 52 on the back nine at Stonebridge. Not sure what this means except that I can play this game, just not yesterday.

SH

Quote Originally Posted by mjf
    Can anyone comment on how they treated some of the slightly muddy areas in the fairways? I didn't notice any 'Ground Under Repair' signs or white paint surrounding them. Were the players given any specific instructions?

MJF
    I was in one on the par 5 third hole (not sure which nine, south or east I guess). I would have just played it but an official drove up and told me I could take relief. So I did. The official said the relief was from tire tracks but I couldn't see any. I didn't get any GUR instructions before the round.
    SH

Quote Originally Posted by Sphere Hunter
    Stonebridge is the wrong place to be playing when your guessing.

SH
    Too bad about the back. I stepped into a grass covered depression last year and hyper-extended my knee. Not fun.

I guess your last comment is the one that makes the big scores makes sense.

If you are not familiar with a course that has big scores lurking, you can indeed have a very long day. I play SB all the time so I know where to miss, especially when the wind is blowing.

I'm trying to get my index low enough to play next year and if I do I'll be mighty PO'd if I shoot a big number.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adska
    There were not many GUR areas at all. I had one situation where I was in casual water, and that was on 6.

What is Talon like? It's doubtful to be able to get a practice round in there, isn't it??
    When is the round there? I'm away next week, but if it's in a couple of weeks, maybe we can set something up.

I do have a 12:15 at Talon on Thursday, with one spot open and two calls out for it. I'll let you know if they turn it down if you are interested.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Wow. Colby, that would be amazing!

Just let me know. The round is next Tuesday.

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    Just call them up and say you want to play a practice round for the Citizen. They will of course check your name against the list. We got on for a round at Kanata before the first round that way.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Wow. Colby, that would be amazing!

Just let me know. The round is next Tuesday.
    No room on Thursday now, I got a call back. And I'm leaving Friday for the States. Garth's method is best, it shouldn't be an issue.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

9 Iron Christian is on a distinguished road

Thumbs up

Having witnessed the "Stupefaction at Stonebridge" as the caddie to Sphere Hunter yesterday, I can testify that I would not have wanted to be playing out there.

It was extremely hot and humid. It was challenging just to stay well hydrated. It was also windy as hell and some holes were just beasts (even with relatively easy pin placements).

The fairways were pretty soggy and I found the greens to be unusually slow and shaggy for SB. It did not help that we had a late tee-time so greens were somewhat bumpy due to traffic. One of the FC's, shot 76 and missed at least four or five really short putts due to bumpiness and slowness of the greens.

In SH defence, I have played many rounds with him where he played hurt and this particular round was by far the worst. In most cases (he usually plays hurt), he can adapt his swing to accomodate a sore back/neck etc. but yesterday he literally had no clue where it was going. He was walking around like a 70 year old man and could not even bend over to retrieve his ball from the hole

By some minor miracle, he managed to shoot 40 on the way out but it was only a matter of time before the big number showed up. I take my hat off to him for finishing because if I had been in his shoes, I would have coped out for the DNF due to injury.

I don't impress too easy but he did impress me just by finishing.

Cheers. Christian

Just curious, how many people had caddies?

Andru
    I think SH is taking this harder than me.

The good news is, we're not paid to do this. The other bit of good news is golf doesn't define you as person. People have bad days. In my case it was 2 but I digress.

It's not worth the effort mentioning how good you are, were or could have been. Because no one other than you really cares. I can't remember who won last year and unless it's a buddy I won't remember who won this year.

I enjoyed the nerves and challenge of competing. I've learned two things. One, I need to get out and play more courses, two, trust your game. This game got you into this tournament and it will take you through it.

I hate to sound so phylosophical, but I can sense a little embarrassment from everyone who didn't play as well as they should have. Me included. I've realised is what the Buffalo Bills, Minnesota Vikings and Leaf fans have learned.

The sun will come out........
    Tomorrow, bet your bottom dollars that to-mo-ro...........w
    There'll be su.........n.

Tomorrow, Tomorrow
    I love Ya , Tomorrow
    You're always.... a day..... a....way......!!!!!

Andru
    Just curious, how many people had caddies?
    I had a caddie. And if I ever here a pro talk about fatigue or how golf is a sport. I'll choke. Walking a course without having to carry or drag your bag is the easiest thing I've ever done. Give Casey Martin a darn cart would ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Andru
    I had a caddie. And if I ever here a pro talk about fatigue or how golf is a sport. I'll choke. Walking a course without having to carry or drag your bag is the easiest thing I've ever done. Give Casey Martin a darn cart would ya.
    I hear ya. I've had a caddie twice now (Pinehurst #2 ) and it is as you say, a walk in the park physically. I never even had to clean my ball for crying out loud.

how is it not a sport? i agree that having a caddy makes it easier, but by no means would i call it easy going out and shooting a decent score.

Andru
    how is it not a sport? i agree that having a caddy makes it easier, but by no means would i call it easy going out and shooting a decent score.
    That would be the skill aspect of golf. Calling golfers athletes is another thing. After watching the tour de france and a little triatholon this afternoon. Calling a golf athletics is like calling poker exercise. If you carry you're own bag I can agree it's very demanding having a caddie makes it a walk in the park.

It's hard to put Lance armstrong and phil Mickelson under the same category as athlete.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Interesting to see the scores in today's Citizen and then to find out that some/many of the scores were not accurate. Perhaps the reporter played yesterday and spent too much time in the fescue.

Did the Sun have accurate results listed?

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    Interesting to see the scores in today's Citizen and then to find out that some/many of the scores were not accurate. Perhaps the reporter played yesterday and spent too much time in the fescue.

Did the Sun have accurate results listed?
    I didn't see the Sun but I did notice that most of the scores I looked at were wrong in the Citizen today. Kinda weird to have so many mistakes.

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    Just talked to a buddy who was in the last groups on Monday. Looks like the cut was 161 again this year. Oh but for 2 holes on Monday..... I feel for ya SH.

In the case of a serious breach of etiquette, who calls the disqualification penalty? If there was only to be a stroke penalty assessed, who would call that?

I need to know this stuff, for future tournaments.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    In the case of a serious breach of etiquette, who calls the disqualification penalty? If there was only to be a stroke penalty assessed, who would call that?

I need to know this stuff, for future tournaments.
    Perhaps a few more details about the "serious breach of etiquette" would help. Without these, report the breach to one of the rules officials and then let them decide. If there was another fellow competitor who was willing to back you up, then the decision should be easy. If not, and the offending party denies any wrong doing, then it is unlikely that anything would be done.

Thread Information