CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter mattpower3001 is on a distinguished road

New Player to Golf

Hi, I am starting to learn how to play golf, i have great aunt and uncle who have been playing for 30 years and they have shown me the light and I think I will become hooked. I really need to buy my first set of clubs though, they have ping's and I really like those. What is the process of choosing them? I have a budget probably around £400 with bag. Am I right in thinking I should spend more on a putter, 3 wood and a mid iron, then fill the rest of my bag with a range of merely average clubs, upgrading them as I get better/richer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Regards
    Mattpower

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Two suggestions. 1) Buy a cheap set of clubs and see how much you play and really like the game. If you have already played lots and are indeed hooked, go and get custom fitted for a set of clubs. Doing this right away you will have a set made to your specs and will make the game much easier to learn.

As for where to spend your money. I would suggest investing in a good putter and a good set of wedges. The short game is where you are going to save strokes. As for the irons, don't invest in only a mid iron. Invest in a set that you like the look of. Alot of this game is about confidence, and if you are confident in your clubs you are already ahead of the game. As for woods, get fitted for a driver and a set of woods or a hybrid or two.
    Hope this helps, enjoy the game and have fun with it.

3 Wood funk-like is on a distinguished road

Get some good woods

I agree that you need good wedges and putter. I think its also important to have a good set of woods that you can hit comfortably. Being a new player, you may have a hard time getting off the tee with driver, so 3 wood is a great option. You will also need woods you can hit from the fairway and rough because you may have long approaches to the greens. You may want to check out the new hybrid clubs and forget about 3 and 4 irons in your set.

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    Most importantly: Welcome to the game and have FUN!
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    I have built beginner sets and in my experience the choice is 5-sw, driver (regular shaft/low bend), 3 wood, 7 wood or 21* hybrid. As Geoff said buy something less expensive but ensure that the clubs you get are cavity back with a low center of gravity. This will ensure that you have forgiveness as well get the ball up in the air. The 3&4 irons are normally harder to hit for beginners so buying a 7 wood or hybrid of the same loft will improve your chances of getting the ball closer to the hole on the 190-200 yrd fairway shots. A good putter in essential however can be costly. For now I would buy inexpensive one until you get a feel for distance and accuracy. As you develop and become more confident you will want to progress to a game improvement set of clubs. Sell the old set and use the money to upgrade to the set you have been drooling over. Getting fitted at this point is good advice.
    Once you improve your short game (within 100 yrds) you will want to buy a set of wedges. Some people carry 4 wedges, pitching wedge, gap wedge, sand wedge, and lob wedge. Until you become confident around the greens I would just stick to the Pw and Sw. As for balls, stick to the least expensive until you have developed a good game and can form an assesment of what ball works best for you. A lot of balls work the same but few stand above the rest but at your level stick to balls like Top flite.

Hope this helps.. Have fun..It's a great game.
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Lob Wedge Chaseme is on a distinguished road
    Are there brands you guys specifically reccommend or should be avoided? I'm in the same boat as the thread starter and it seems there are so many around the same price point. A friend was having RAM pushed on him by Golf Town and we had no idea if they were decent, he ended up elsewhere with Top Flites. I'm interested in Jazz but Golf Town seems to talk them down a bit.

So confused!

Ty Webb

woods

In lieu of a 3 and 4 iron, I would suggest a 7 and 9 wood. Very easy to hit.

The best advice I can give you is to get some good lessons and practice dilligently what you learn so as to ingrain good habits from the beginning. Far easing that trying to erase and relearn later. Also, practice the putting and chipping as often as the long game.

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaseme
    Are there brands you guys specifically reccommend or should be avoided? I'm in the same boat as the thread starter and it seems there are so many around the same price point. A friend was having RAM pushed on him by Golf Town and we had no idea if they were decent, he ended up elsewhere with Top Flites. I'm interested in Jazz but Golf Town seems to talk them down a bit.

So confused!
    As a beginner, I would avoid paying big $$$ for a brand name period. A good brand will last a long time, so if you know you'll be playing many times and for a long time, sure...but theres nothing wrong with getting a cheap beginner set thats not a big brand.

Now once your game gets better, there are difinitely brand name drivers, or knocks offs as well, that improve things like driving distance, forgiveness, etc...but they tend not to improve things until you have a consistent ability...so why waste money until then?

Anything in the $200 - $500 range is fine, or get some knock offs (imitation of brand names) for the same range.

Thats my 2 cents.

Andru
    Hey Matt

Hope you enjoy the game I'm about the quit.

Anyway. Don't buy cheap clubs. That's awful advice. buy a set of clubs that will help you play your best. Cheap or expensive poorly fitted clubs will slow your progress. I'm not saying do a full dynamic fitting as your swing might change, but for certain get your lie angles adjusted. Oher than that. You won't need a driver or a 60 degree wedge. do this

putter, sw, pw, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, hydrid 4, Hybrid 3, 5 wood strong, 3 wood( 13 degree )

That's 12 clubs. Which leaves you wiggle room once you get better to fill in the gaps.

Quote Originally Posted by mattpower3001
    Hi, I am starting to learn how to play golf, i have great aunt and uncle who have been playing for 30 years and they have shown me the light and I think I will become hooked. I really need to buy my first set of clubs though, they have ping's and I really like those. What is the process of choosing them? I have a budget probably around £400 with bag. Am I right in thinking I should spend more on a putter, 3 wood and a mid iron, then fill the rest of my bag with a range of merely average clubs, upgrading them as I get better/richer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Regards
    Mattpower

Andru

So confused!
    Dont' worry about the name on the club worry about the way you swing that club.

Hit a bunch and buy the one that helps you play your best. The set that feels right and looks right. I would recommend the sets with the hybrids for long irons though, Adams, Wilson, Jazz, Nike. I believe have those combo sets. I was recently fitted for a set of clubs and opted for a gap wedge instead of a 3 iron. Then added a 7 wood to fill the gap between my 4 iron and 4 wood.

here's an idea http://www.adamsgolf.com/ir_idea.htm ( no pun intended )

bbad

So confused!
    To answer your question directly, Jazz make some very nice clubs, so not sure where that comment came from. Not familiar with RAM anymore, so can't comment on it. Last time I tried a RAM club, they were still making persimmon drivers.

I wouldn't let GT (or any other vendor) discourage you from ANY maker. Try them and swing away, and just let your confidence with hitting the ball be your guide - not the brand or the seller.

My only other advice is to buy the most forgiving clubs you can find. Cavity-back and offset would be your biggest help.

Take the extra money that you would have spent on more expense clubs and go see the nearest CPGA pro!!!! It'll be worth its weight in gold.

cheers,

JB

Quote Originally Posted by Andru
    Anyway. Don't buy cheap clubs. That's awful advice. buy a set of clubs that will help you play your best.
    It all depends on what you mean by beginner. I'm introducing a beginner, and his swing would not benefit from any make...his position, and I agree, is that he wants his own set so that he can practice and improve, and after that, he'll buy up. IF HE MAKES CONSISTENT CONTACT, his distance is at a stage where he hits a 7 iron to about 90-110 yards.

Pings, TM, Callaway, etc., would be a waste of money for him, and he agrees. Thats where that advice stems. Speaking as someone who has played with Pings and played with Ping knockoffs, there is no difference, other than some people like to show that they can afford pings.

Now if you can afford to lay down $1200 without breaking a sweat, do it...it doesn't matter to you. If you can't, why put yourself in a position where you buy a high end set that DOESNT DO ANYTHING FOR YOUR GAME, and you end up blaming the clubs. A lot of beginner clubs are very forgiving, and I've seen high end ones that are not...so don't make that mistake, consult a professional if you are going to buy high end.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Buy used. I've seen some amazing deals on this board (and others I am sure) for some good quality clubs. I think since you mentioned your budget was in British Pounds that you are in the UK, but regardless, check out some local shops, newspapers, etc. You'll get more for your $ in the long run and they will have a higher resale value. You can get the lie angles, etc. checked after you buy them. I saw some nice Adams bags at Costco (here in Canada) for $69 CAD. I'm sure there are similar deals, new or used.

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfpeasant
    It all depends on what you mean by beginner. I'm introducing a beginner, and his swing would not benefit from any make...his position, and I agree, is that he wants his own set so that he can practice and improve, and after that, he'll buy up. IF HE MAKES CONSISTENT CONTACT, his distance is at a stage where he hits a 7 iron to about 90-110 yards.

Pings, TM, Callaway, etc., would be a waste of money for him, and he agrees. Thats where that advice stems. Speaking as someone who has played with Pings and played with Ping knockoffs, there is no difference, other than some people like to show that they can afford pings.

Now if you can afford to lay down $1200 without breaking a sweat, do it...it doesn't matter to you. If you can't, why put yourself in a position where you buy a high end set that DOESNT DO ANYTHING FOR YOUR GAME, and you end up blaming the clubs. A lot of beginner clubs are very forgiving, and I've seen high end ones that are not...so don't make that mistake, consult a professional if you are going to buy high end.
    Since you took the liberty of PUTTING WORDS INTO MY MOUTH and adding CONTEXT THAT DOESN'T EXIST. I will retort.

No where did I say to buy a set of 1200 dollar clubs. No where did I say Expensive clubs would help your game.

I said BUY THE CLUBS THAT HELP YOU PLAY YOUR BEST.

Now Adams clubs really aren't that expensive and you can't argue the hybrid design is the set for a beginner or anyone for that matter.

And BTW There's a HUGE difference between PINGS and PING knock Offs. The ping Casting process is patented so if the knock offs are duping this process then they're A) lying or B) in serious trouble.

If you can't duplicate the metal forming process you can't produce a club that feels exactly the same. The metal is different. Period. So that fact that YOU can't feel the difference doesn't mean their isn't one.

I swear some people wake up a different person every day. There is no hostility here, and I'm not putting words in your mouth, I'm restating my position so its clearer.

I own pings. I also own ping knock offs. For the level that my game is, I shoot 85 to 95, the pings don't give me any more distance or accuracy. Yes, they are nice; yes they are patented; and yes, when your game is scratch-80, I believe that tailoring clubs to your swing makes a difference.

That said, when you are starting the game, that doesn't mean buck-all...if you shoot 100-120, pings or beginner clubs are not going to make a difference. Save your money, or buy used as mentioned above.

Disagree all you like, its my opinion.

Putter EagleB is on a distinguished road
    I'm starting after 15 years of no play and the game I remember 15 years ago has changed so much.
    I used to play as a young man and hated the game, but I was ignorant and there was no good advice to be had and equipment for the most part was not there where technology was concerned.

I've played two rounds recently with some game-improvement irons from Taylor Made and shot a 118.
    It was amazing and I'm hooked.

What do you guys think of ultra-game improvement irons like the Maltby Outburst Plus?
    List some names and models we new guys can go after for our first set towards our progression to using some blades someday when we gain the confidence and control in our game?

A word about hurt feelings. The internet is a place where misconceptions and some are easily offended. Please don't be. Clarifications are always a post away, and we are all brothers in this game so let's keep it friendly always.

Regards,
    Mark

EDIT: Oh and this is my first post on this board, though I've lukred for about a week or two. So, Hi.

3 Wood mcnorth is on a distinguished road mcnorth's Avatar
    Hey Matt,

This season was my first so I'm a real newbie also. My father and brother have played for years and have pretty solid sets (TNT and Ping respectively) but I wasn't sure I was going to go whole hog so I bought a halfway-decent 'entry level' set from my brother-in-law who manages a SportMart (good deal! haha) and decided I'd upgrade if I got totally hooked and played 10 times during the summer. I'm a teacher so I have summers off but I also have a new daughter so time is always tight.
    The set was the Hippo Giant beginner set: I liked the putter, the irons were the more forgiving style cavity backs, and the woods were oversized. I also purchased a huge 460cc Hippo Giant driver because the set came with a 370 cc driver and I wanted a big guy with a big sweet spot (although the shaft was a few inches longer than the 370).
    I played the beginning of the season with those and they were fairly serviceable clubs. My ball flight was lower than I liked and I was inconsistent with the irons but a fine set to learn with as this was literally my first time playing.
    Didn't spend too much and I was able to learn a few things about what I liked and disliked in a club as I learned how to swing (and hold!) the darn things. I'm glad I didn't commit to a major investment before I had some idea of what I was looking for. I'm also glad I didn't go get custom fitted BEFORE I even had a consistent swing (which I still don't) - I see no wisdom in getting custom fit when your swing (and therefore fit) will be different from day to day and swing to swing. You can get fitted for club length but that's about it.
    About halfway through the season I was cruising ebay and stumbled across some hybrid clones. Being a lefty it was a rare and affordable find so I decided to buy them and see if I liked them. I bought 4 heavenwood clones (Acer) which is a wood type hybrid (longer shaft) 2,3,4 and 5, as well as iron type hybrid TaylorMade clone (kind've a rescue club but not quite - PowerPlay Select 5000) in 6, 7, and a SW. The clones all had iron shafts. It was nice to be able to experiment with the three types of clubs, varying shaft lengths, and lofts. All told though I spent less than $500 for the Hippos, the driver, and the clones.
    The oversized Hippo was too long for me to hit consistently so I learned 370cc and a shorter shaft gave me much more distance and control (new golfer slice of course). The power plays had a nice offset and really, really helped me hit it straight (which lead to my first birdie on the first hole I used them). I also liked the high loft which helped my ball flight. The heavenwoods were a little too long for me so as far as hybrids go - I like em' iron style (or length anyway). My Hippo fairway woods were a little too big for my local course and bad lies, so I need a fairway club that is low slung and has a sweetspot closer to the turf.
    I'm still learning but the equipment I've purchased so far this off-season has me really excited about playing next year. So my advice is spend a year experimenting with as much as you can on the course - so buy knowing you won't likely buy right first-time out - and that probably means buy cheaper rather than expensive. The better equipment will help your game, no doubt, but play around a little to find out WHAT new equipment works best for you.

And that is one big post.

Thread Information