CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Caddy Gofish2 is on a distinguished road Gofish2's Avatar

Trying new putters and wondering if we have learned anything over the past 15 years ?

Just going back through old posts on this site and looking for putting insights. Will never be able to hit the driver 300 yards but I think that with all the spare time to practice that I can become a much better putter. Can anyone suggest a site that has really good tips or instruction or even personal anecdotes on how they improved their green game ?
    Last edited by Gofish2; 12-31-2020 at 08:02 AM.

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    My Odyssey Rossie II
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

3 Wood Jasonreg is on a distinguished road
    I had the opportunity to get to the Scotty Cameron Gallery for a putter fitting about 2 years ago and it was game-changing. Not so much that I left with a radically different putter than what I was already using - went from a Newport 2 to a Newport (albeit MOTO) and at the same 34" length I had been using. Rather they taught me things about the design of the SC putters no one had ever mentioned to me regarding the alignment aids built into the design of the putters. Also watching the putts on the high speed cameras at impact was really telling regarding what I had previously considered a decent stroke. And lastly, while it sounds funny, after noting excess backspin on the putt immediately after the stroke causing a very minor "hop" after the stroke - they found my current putter had excess loft (anyone else lean on their putter?). The hop was causing minor but perceptible path deviations. When the fitter bent the putter bent the loft back to design specs this hop disappeared and the putts rolled true.

So, while getting to the SC gallery may not be practical for most, I guess my point is prior to this I had never really considered a putter fitting a thing. I have now changed my thinking and consider it as important as any other fitting. The putter is after all that one club that you use on almost every hole at least once! My two cents.
    Last edited by Jasonreg; 01-10-2021 at 10:30 AM.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Somewhat related to Jason's post I was fitted at Golfworks by Brandon. This is the first key imho to getting centre strikes and arc/ swing path on the ball. I was lucky enough to find a fully adjustable putter and set it for my specs. I was a pretty decent putter before but the changes made a big difference for me.
    key #2, I also used a laser pointer on my putter head and to show the putting line to see if my alignment was off when setting up.
    key #3 I used a "tour striker smart ball" which I place between my arms to feel the the triangle when putting and helps the feel of rocking the shoulders.
    key#4 I bought a DVD from a fellow named Geoff Mangum on reading greens. It is a more analytical approach but he is not "polished" in his presentation but the method works really well. The Putting Zone is his website and he has many you tube videos including some with Steve Elkington.
    key#5 The most important, set-up your putting routine, from when you are approaching a green, see if its elevated, countoured as you walk up because you will not have the same perspective when you get to your ball. Once you get to your ball you should have a routine to read the green, get your line and feel the speed. Then your set-up to that mindset.

Now, isn't that simple.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Caddy Gofish2 is on a distinguished road Gofish2's Avatar
    Thanks for the information. The Geoff Magnum site has myriad links to other resources and should keep me occupied for the winter.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I just bought his dvd READING GREENS and it is enough for me
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Thread Information