+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    5 Wood doctor-wedge is on a distinguished road

Carleton golf and yacht club

Looking for any input as to the Carleton golf and yacht club . If anyone has played or is, was a member of the club would love to hear all the comments positive or negative about the course , facility and membership. Just joined and would love to hear from everyone’s experiences.

Gap Wedge CrowdPleaser is on a distinguished road
    Was a member at Carleton for a couple of years. Really enjoyed the layout. Always in great shape and the members were great. Would love to return but life got in the way.

Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road
    Was a member for 4 years 11-15 years ago. I generally play the course once a year with a best friend who’s still there. Gord Percy was a gem and it sucks he’s gone. Joel Tricky does a great job with a skeleton crew. The greens are good. It’s the bottom end of the local private golf courses. Overall it would be top 10 in the Ottawa area. When I was a member it had a limited number of reciprocal courses you could play on. The price posted this year for a membership had to make it one of the very best deals around. I paid more to play there annually 15 years ago as an intermediate then what they are presently charging fully priveleged golfers. Lastly, there are some amazing golfers at the course. Some of the best in the city. Carleton is in the A bracket for both the ladies and men’s so you’ll find great games if you wish to play with top level players.

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road
    Carleton is always in nice shape, but it can get a bit boring after a while in my view. Only 18 holes and not much of a range/practice facility hurts the value. When I compared to other options, the $3100 to join as a 45 year old does not match up well against the cost to join Clublink (Greyhawk) which costs me $3350. And the $3350 at Greyhawk gets my wife and kids free twilight golf, a free weekly clinic and other perks.

As I said, Carleton is in nice shape, greens are always good, but the value just isn't there for me. Now maybe the price listed on the website is higher than any deals they may be offering, I am not sure on the 2021 plans...

Do the club link courses charge an initiation? I see that Royal is back up to $35,000, the highest in the city.

Greyhawk for me was a $6500 initiation payable over 20 years with no interest.
    No food/bar tab at Greyhawk.
    Membership for the first 2 years is $3300, then up closer to $3900 per season. I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by golfisforfun View Post
    Greyhawk for me was a $6500 initiation payable over 20 years with no interest.
    No food/bar tab at Greyhawk.
    Membership for the first 2 years is $3300, then up closer to $3900 per season. I believe.
    No bar tab during Covid or is this always? 20 years with no interest is pretty sweet. I wonder what’s the point? With terms like that they might as well just roll it into the annual dues.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnyc View Post
    No bar tab during Covid or is this always? 20 years with no interest is pretty sweet. I wonder what’s the point? With terms like that they might as well just roll it into the annual dues.
    Yeah the initiation over 20 years seems meaningless, but it is still $6500 for them.
    I am not sure about bar tabs in the past.

As I said, Carleton is a nice course, I just don't think the value is as high as other courses for similar money.

I just got my payment plan for 2021 and we have the option of paying in 10 monthly installments which is nice.

Yeah the initiation over 20 years seems meaningless, but it is still $6500 for them.
    I am not sure about bar tabs in the past.

As I said, Carleton is a nice course, I just don't think the value is as high as other courses for similar money.

I just got my payment plan for 2021 and we have the option of paying in 10 monthly installments which is nice.
    The Clublink courses are absolutely better then Carleton. No question. I was just basing it on what I believed was a discounted rate; Carleton was $2500 this year and no initiation fees and no bar tab. Compared to Clublink which was almost $4000 annuals plus initiation. In any event there are courses for every budget. Just glad people are playing. I cannot think of a better game. Merry Christmas to all

Lob Wedge TheBigM is on a distinguished road
    Hi Doctor-Wedge,

I was a member at Carleton for 15 years before moving had me give up my membership two years ago. Great course and even better members. From those of us over 50, the course will be a challenge every round, and the greens are always amongst the best in the area. It's a pleasure to go back there to play as a guest. For my money, it was the best value in the private golf industry in Ottawa. Be sure you join Men's League.

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    I'm a member at Rideauview and played (most of) a round at Carleton last July and didn't like the course at all. To be fair, last year was a very hard year on golf courses and presumably Carleton took a worse hit than most because it was in VERY bad condition. I gather it improved this year.

It might have been a nice design years ago I guess but, in my opinion, somebody needs to be let loose there with a chainsaw to make it more playable. I'm a good player, reasonably long and pretty accurate with my driver but far from what anyone would classify as a 'bomber' and I felt like more than half of the holes took driver out of my hand. There are way too many tight doglegs for my liking.

There was a par 3 (#8 maybe?) where, from the middle of the tee box, a draw was required to play AROUND A TREE. That's just goofy golf in my humble opinion.

I didn't enjoy the course at all and, frankly, you couldn't pay me to be a member there.
    Twitter: @mfarquharson73

Quote Originally Posted by mjf View Post
    I'm a member at Rideauview and played (most of) a round at Carleton last July and didn't like the course at all. To be fair, last year was a very hard year on golf courses and presumably Carleton took a worse hit than most because it was in VERY bad condition. I gather it improved this year.

It might have been a nice design years ago I guess but, in my opinion, somebody needs to be let loose there with a chainsaw to make it more playable. I'm a good player, reasonably long and pretty accurate with my driver but far from what anyone would classify as a 'bomber' and I felt like more than half of the holes took driver out of my hand. There are way too many tight doglegs for my liking.

There was a par 3 (#8 maybe?) where, from the middle of the tee box, a draw was required to play AROUND A TREE. That's just goofy golf in my humble opinion.

I didn't enjoy the course at all and, frankly, you couldn't pay me to be a member there.
    I find it funny when guys say that a course "takes driver out of their hand"... I hit it 260 off the tee and can hit driver on every Par 4 and 5. I would imagine that if you hit it 300 off the tee some holes might be an issue.

Tee blocks would have to be squeezed over far back left on #8 and pin tucked far back left to MAYBE bring the tips of the tree branches in play.

Carleton is extremely playable, there are hardly any low branches on trees, it is VERY easy to find balls in the rough, the course is not super long, there are no blind tee shots, hardly no water in play etc etc...

It was in great shape this past season, and greens were really good as usual.

A course does not need to be "made more playable" simply because someone finds it tough to play...

And when reading my comments, please keep in mind, I am not a member there and would not join there either.

Thanks Big M, that’s the plan, and thanks to everyone who has posted a response to my post. From reading everything that has been posted , I am happy with my decision to become a member at Carleton. I am 58 - still hit the ball 300 yds , play to a solid 5 handicap, and I am looking to walk the course for my health , love of the game , a tough course challenging and conditioned to higher standards , and most importantly - meet fellow members and become a positive fixture of the club participating in club events with my wife who has joined as well. If I so chose to play the “better clubs” then I will make a phone call and call the GC superintendent and get a round of golf at their place , satisfy my ego - then go home to my little piece of golfing heaven in Manotick. I have been a Golf Course Superintendent (retired recently) for many years and I have learned along the way that there are always bigger and better courses all across this country and everyone has a opinion of what course is the best . I just wanna play golf ..
    Last edited by doctor-wedge; 12-30-2020 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mjf View Post

You get what you pay for. Carleton has zero elevation change, is tight in places and isn’t at the low end condition level as other private courses in the city. But it does force you to dig into your bag and play different shots. And it’s no fluke that they are in A division in intersectional; they have some great players.

Some golf courses just don’t work for me either. Between the traffic to get there and the layout I’m no fan of Royal Ottawa. The new range is incredible and the clubhouse is the best in the area but the course has some wonky holes and design features. I feel the same about Camelot (except the range at Camelot is poor at best). And I’m sure there are some that come to Hunt and find things they don’t like about the course either. It is what it is. Happy that the poster is happy. In golf you generally get what you pay for. And at a tiny club like Carleton that probably has 10 people working on grounds and when there is any more than a few millimeters of rain the course shuts down there are going to be issues. But for 1/3 the cost it will represent value to some.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    You get what you pay for. Carleton has zero elevation change, is tight in places and isn’t at the low end condition level as other private courses in the city. But it does force you to dig into your bag and play different shots. And it’s no fluke that they are in A division in intersectional; they have some great players.

Some golf courses just don’t work for me either. Between the traffic to get there and the layout I’m no fan of Royal Ottawa. The new range is incredible and the clubhouse is the best in the area but the course has some wonky holes and design features. I feel the same about Camelot (except the range at Camelot is poor at best). And I’m sure there are some that come to Hunt and find things they don’t like about the course either. It is what it is. Happy that the poster is happy. In golf you generally get what you pay for. And at a tiny club like Carleton that probably has 10 people working on grounds and when there is any more than a few millimeters of rain the course shuts down there are going to be issues. But for 1/3 the cost it will represent value to some.
    You can't use traffic as a means of not liking a course lol.

I'll be honest, the first time I played the Royal I was underwhelmed. I played it again this summer and enjoyed it a lot more. Perhaps it was a few of the changes (though the one hole on the front along the west side still needs some work) but overall I have changed my opinion of it. I guess I have come to appreciate the quirks a little more. The new practice facility is likely the best in Canada.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Fairway Junkie Michael is on a distinguished road

I always thought the range at Camelot was very good, all grass, target greens and flags and plenty of space. Curious why you think it is poor??

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    I find it funny when guys say that a course "takes driver out of their hand"... I hit it 260 off the tee and can hit driver on every Par 4 and 5. I would imagine that if you hit it 300 off the tee some holes might be an issue.
    I can hit driver on every par 4 and 5 as well. It's just that, statistically speaking, it's the completely wrong play (for me) on too many holes. I don't mind when a course has one or two par 4s that are 'position' holes. Carleton just has too many for my liking.

Tee blocks would have to be squeezed over far back left on #8 and pin tucked far back left to MAYBE bring the tips of the tree branches in play.
    I actually took a picture because I thought it was so comical. I went back and looked at it and the tees were on the left side of the tee box. But from the middle of the teeing position, and to a middle pin, the tips of the tree branches were in line with the pin. No way the hole was designed like that.
    Twitter: @mfarquharson73

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    You can't use traffic as a means of not liking a course lol.

I'll be honest, the first time I played the Royal I was underwhelmed. I played it again this summer and enjoyed it a lot more. Perhaps it was a few of the changes (though the one hole on the front along the west side still needs some work) but overall I have changed my opinion of it. I guess I have come to appreciate the quirks a little more. The new practice facility is likely the best in Canada.
    I don’t enjoy playing either Royal or Camelot because of the layouts. When I last played Camelot the greens were really poor. Greens at Royal were good last time I played. The drive has nothing to do with the course but the whole experience just doesn’t leave me wanting to play either,

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I always thought the range at Camelot was very good, all grass, target greens and flags and plenty of space. Curious why you think it is poor??
    Last time I was there it was torn to pieces. Ground was uneven and the balls were of poor quality.

But again it’s all about expectations. I’ve seen people post on this forum that Stonebridge is mint or in perfect condition. If you’re only point of reference is Manderly or Cedar Glen then I totally get that opinion. I wouldn’t share it but I can understand it. We all have an opinion, mine is no more valuable than anyone else’s. For the money, the best course I’ve played in the area is Black Bear Ridge. I’ve played nicer courses but that property blends great conditions, great layout and is super cheap. In any event happy new year to all. Hope everyone has a great 2021 golfing season
    Last edited by Johnyc; 12-31-2020 at 09:15 PM.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    I don’t enjoy playing either Royal or Camelot because of the layouts. When I last played Camelot the greens were really poor. Greens at Royal were good last time I played. The drive has nothing to do with the course but the whole experience just doesn’t leave me wanting to play either,
    Fair enough though I’d play either 10/10 times over Carleton
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Last time I was there it was torn to pieces. Ground was uneven and the balls were of poor quality.
    When was the last time you were there, the range does get a lot of use and is one of the best in town. Ground is not uneven, and the balls are very good and are always available. You just seem to have it in for any course that is not the one you are a member of, which is Hunt Club I presume.

When was the last time you were there, the range does get a lot of use and is one of the best in town. Ground is not uneven, and the balls are very good and are always available. You just seem to have it in for any course that is not the one you are a member of, which is Hunt Club I presume.
    Best range in the city is Royal. With the recent improvements it’s really distanced itself. I didn’t play Camelot in 2020. Last time I played the course was in August 2019. It’s hard to compare any course locally to Hunt. But again, as I’ve said, it’s about cost in relation to course. To this end I think Black Bear is the best within 4 hours. Much better value then Hunt. Dinky little range and essentially no clubhouse and amenities but for what it costs in relation to the course layout and condition it’s unreal value. And yes I hold a course like Camelot to a much higher standard. When you are listed as a top 100 course in Canada and charge the prices they do expectations increase. And when you charge $2500 for Carleton with no initiation I’d say that’s pretty decent value.

Best range in the city is Royal. With the recent improvements it’s really distanced itself. I didn’t play Camelot in 2020. Last time I played the course was in August 2019. It’s hard to compare any course locally to Hunt. But again, as I’ve said, it’s about cost in relation to course. To this end I think Black Bear is the best within 4 hours. Much better value then Hunt. Dinky little range and essentially no clubhouse and amenities but for what it costs in relation to the course layout and condition it’s unreal value. And yes I hold a course like Camelot to a much higher standard. When you are listed as a top 100 course in Canada and charge the prices they do expectations increase. And when you charge $2500 for Carleton with no initiation I’d say that’s pretty decent value.
    Think Camelot might be the third most expensive in and around Ottawa, after Royal and Hunt, not 100 percent sure. It is not cheap to play any of these courses for sure. I liked Black Bear when I played it, was in fantastic shape.

Wow did not mean to start a debate about whose club is the best by no means. Johnyc brings a lot of good points to the table as for higher end clubs around Ottawa, as well as some others who have responded on this particular thread. I played both Black Bear and Trillium Woods in October (both very nice ) but my vote goes to Trillium Woods . I guess Beauty is in the eye of the beholder ?

Quote Originally Posted by doctor-wedge View Post
    Wow did not mean to start a debate about whose club is the best by no means. Johnyc brings a lot of good points to the table as for higher end clubs around Ottawa, as well as some others who have responded on this particular thread. I played both Black Bear and Trillium Woods in October (both very nice ) but my vote goes to Trillium Woods . I guess Beauty is in the eye of the beholder ?
    We are fortunate to have so much choice in and around Ottawa when it comes to golf.

3 Wood Jasonreg is on a distinguished road
    We are fortunate to have so much choice in and around Ottawa when it comes to golf.
    Well said Michael. Happy New Year everyone!

Putter golfguy4867 is on a distinguished road
    Trillium gets my vote also over Black Bear, but both are fabulous courses.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    Fair enough though I’d play either 10/10 times over Carleton
    Agreed. Carleton is good value for a private course at $2500 a year but it’s not in the same league as Royal or Camelot.

Quote Originally Posted by golfguy4867 View Post
    Trillium gets my vote also over Black Bear, but both are fabulous courses.
    I’ve actually never played Trillium. I can’t get off Black Bear. I’ll have to give it a shot next time I’m down there.

Agreed! There is something for everyone. Hopefully everyone has a safe and healthy 2021 filled with lots of golf

Thread Information