+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    7 Wood pagman is on a distinguished road pagman's Avatar
    I wouldn’t call Carleton a private course. They’ve been letting in players for the past couple of seasons with Executive Golf cards, once you start doing that, you should remove the “private” label from your golf course. It’s been a desperate situation there for a couple of years now so you resort to desperate measures like EG card holders to generate revenues. I have friends who’ve been members there for over 30 years and they’ve had it with what is going on there.
    Like everything else, you get what you pay for.

Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by pagman View Post
    I wouldn’t call Carleton a private course. They’ve been letting in players for the past couple of seasons with Executive Golf cards, once you start doing that, you should remove the “private” label from your golf course. It’s been a desperate situation there for a couple of years now so you resort to desperate measures like EG card holders to generate revenues. I have friends who’ve been members there for over 30 years and they’ve had it with what is going on there.
    Like everything else, you get what you pay for.
    Every private course in the area let’s in players. In fact they all depend on that revenue. Without it it’s difficult to maintain the course to the standards that members expect. In the case of Carleton prior to this season when golf play increased 30% or more across the city they would likely have reached the point of financial distress if not for those other revenue streams. Anyway just a point of clarification because although these courses are private it’s not unusual to see tee sheets loaded with guests. I counted one Saturday this season when there were over 80 guests bookings on our tee sheet.

7 Wood pagman is on a distinguished road pagman's Avatar
    I’ve been a member at a private club for 32 years so I’m fully aware that guest revenue is part of the equation for club financials. That being said, there is a BIG difference between a private club member bringing out a guest vs some player walking in off the street with their club EG card and having playing privileges. Private clubs like the Royal, Rideauview, Hunt , Camelot do not allow club EG. They do allow as a perk for their members ( who have more than like paid a hefty initiation fee as well as annual dues) the privilege to bring out guests. As i stated earlier, you get what you pay for.
    Carleton should not be included in any private club conversation with the clubs I’ve mentioned above.

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnyc View Post
    Every private course in the area let’s in players. In fact they all depend on that revenue.
    Not true....maybe as a guest of a member...but not all Private courses let a Public person book a tee time.

You are right about one thing though, the revenue is important.

5 Wood doctor-wedge is on a distinguished road
    I am a little disappointed as some people seem to be attacking Carleton for whatever their reasons are. Golf has changed over the years especially in Eastern Canada. Some courses have to find creative ways to keep their doors open to meet financial constraints and opening a few tee times to EG members so be it at least it’s open. I remember a time when golf courses used to be packed with all age groups at the private club I worked on and now we have a aging population with fewer and fewer new members joining for a variety of reasons including life . I will take my chances on Carleton and see what happens, I may not have super deep pockets for the “ Ultra Private Experience “ but I will enjoy what my budget allows me to play .

Quote Originally Posted by em69 View Post
    Not true....maybe as a guest of a member...but not all Private courses let a Public person book a tee time.

You are right about one thing though, the revenue is important.
    No private courses allow public players to walk on. My comment about guest play is meant to imply a guest of a member. And yes it’s a big revenue driver. Our budget forecast for guest play is 6 figures. If Carleton is allowing public players without members then they are not a private course by definition.

Quote Originally Posted by pagman View Post
    I’ve been a member at a private club for 32 years so I’m fully aware that guest revenue is part of the equation for club financials. That being said, there is a BIG difference between a private club member bringing out a guest vs some player walking in off the street with their club EG card and having playing privileges. Private clubs like the Royal, Rideauview, Hunt , Camelot do not allow club EG. They do allow as a perk for their members ( who have more than like paid a hefty initiation fee as well as annual dues) the privilege to bring out guests. As i stated earlier, you get what you pay for.
    Carleton should not be included in any private club conversation with the clubs I’ve mentioned above.
    If they are allowing non members to play without a member accompanying them than they are not a private course. To be honest I don’t think they have enough members to be a private course - not at the price they are charging anyway. If it’s a semi private course than that’s great. They would fall out of the private conversation where they were at the bottom and move to the top tier of semi private courses in the area.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by doctor-wedge View Post
    I am a little disappointed as some people seem to be attacking Carleton for whatever their reasons are. Golf has changed over the years especially in Eastern Canada. Some courses have to find creative ways to keep their doors open to meet financial constraints and opening a few tee times to EG members so be it at least it’s open. I remember a time when golf courses used to be packed with all age groups at the private club I worked on and now we have a aging population with fewer and fewer new members joining for a variety of reasons including life . I will take my chances on Carleton and see what happens, I may not have super deep pockets for the “ Ultra Private Experience “ but I will enjoy what my budget allows me to play .
    I don't see anyone attacking it, just offering opinions based on their experiences which is what you asked for. This is an internet forum after all.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Thread Information