100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: www.cgtf.com

Pitching Wedge shankenstein is on a distinguished road

www.cgtf.com

Hi all, I'm thinking of taking the teaching certification course offered by the Canadian Golf Teaching Federation (www.cgtf.com). They are coming to Emerald Links in August.
    Has anyone taken this course? Is is considered a reputable training school?
    I would like to start teaching next year and thought it might be a good place to start and a good certification to have on the resume.

Shagging Balls upanddown is on a distinguished road upanddown's Avatar
    anyone know if you can attend - and not stay at the hotel and meals - and would they offer a different price ?

Fairway Junkie dasnutz is on a distinguished road dasnutz's Avatar
    It gives you certification with them, but most courses want CPGA certification. If you are truly interested in getting certified, go the CPGA route. My buddy did it and he regrets not saving the $ with CGTF and doing the CPGA.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar

!

I've been in the same boat. Choosing between CGTF and the CPGA is definitely choosing two different paths. I know people who have gone both routes. Most Golf Courses won't hire a CGTF certified "pro" as anymore than an assistant in most cases although the head pro at Casselview is a CGTF pro. Taking the CPGA certification to become a pro takes years and ALOT of work. You have to have a three year Business Management diploma or Degree and then theres the 2500 hours you have to put in as an assistant pro in the pro shop. Look into it in the area, speak with golf courses and driving ranges to see if they would hire you as a CGTF pro. Its a good way to start, but if your serious and you want to be a pro at a club then go the route of the CPGA!

Pitching Wedge shankenstein is on a distinguished road

great advice

Thanks for the great advice.
    I'm considering doing this as a 'summer hobby business'. I love teaching and love the game, so blending the two would be a real bonus. I think the CPGA route is more appealing as well, but I can't afford to commit the time required to take the CPGA route. If I didn't already have a career (and house to pay for!) I would do that instead.
    The only thing that turns me off of the CGTF is that you can still get your 'card' even if you don't shoot the required 83 or better two days in a row. They state on their website that if you fail the playability test, you could send in two signed scorecards within a certain amount of time and still receive your card or certificate.
    That kinda turns me off because you just know there are people out there that shoot 110 and make up a bogus card and have their buddies sign it. I could see that really bringing down the quality of teachers that carry the CGTF name.
    I know there are teachers that can't play the game but can still teach, but I would rather learn from a player that has actually seen the situations rather than read about them somewhere else.
    Personally, I know I wouldn't go to anyone without some kind of resume or accreditations unless I knew them personally and their game, so why would anyone come to me without the same?
    Are there any other places you can go for teaching courses?
    I've googled it, but only found $20K courses in the states, the CPGA and the CGTF.
    Some other Canadian reasonably priced options would be nice.
    Thanks again

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    The crappy thing about the CPGA route is that in order to play in you need your head pro to sign you up. I have a buddy in Toronto who is probably the best player I have ever seen and because hes not a member anywhere can't do the playability. He and I both are graduates of Humber College's Professional Golf Management program and all he wants to do is teach... So he is comming down in August to do the CGTF. Its unfortunate that this has to be the case, and as you said before some places may not hire him. All for now...

Gap Wedge golfCOACH is on a distinguished road
    CGTF? you guys think that anyone wants to take a lesson from someone who got certified in a weekend? Do you want to teach golf or fold shirts? If you want to teach, go through the CPGA and work for someone who teaches full time and knows what they're talking about and read www.thegolfingmachine.com You want to learn from a real instructor? go see the old guy at the Marshes.

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by golfCOACH
    CGTF? you guys think that anyone wants to take a lesson from someone who got certified in a weekend? Do you want to teach golf or fold shirts? If you want to teach, go through the CPGA and work for someone who teaches full time and knows what they're talking about and read www.thegolfingmachine.com You want to learn from a real instructor? go see the old guy at the Marshes.
    You're arriving a bit late to the party...

7 Wood East Coast Golf is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by scottycameron
    The crappy thing about the CPGA route is that in order to play in you need your head pro to sign you up. I have a buddy in Toronto who is probably the best player I have ever seen and because hes not a member anywhere can't do the playability. He and I both are graduates of Humber College's Professional Golf Management program and all he wants to do is teach... So he is comming down in August to do the CGTF. Its unfortunate that this has to be the case, and as you said before some places may not hire him. All for now...

there are so many jobs available for him in Ontario alone...I think your friend is either really picky or is limiting his search to courses in his area..If he really wanted to become CPGA and is as good as you say, he should have no problems getting into the program.

Thread Information