CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter TS019 is on a distinguished road

Intermediate membership

Hi all. New member here so forgive me if I知 not abiding by the forum rules. I知 looking for an intermediate membership for next year and I知 wondering if anyone has any recommendations or suggestions. I知 30 (born in 90) and I知 located in downtown Ottawa so courses all over the region are accessible to me by the highway. I know that age is important to point out because I知 told some intermediate memberships stop at 30. Important factor is somewhere with a decent range/practice green.

Par gregnol is on a distinguished road gregnol's Avatar
    I'm 32 and also live downtown. I've been a member at Rideauview, Rivermead and now at Clublink.

It really depends on your budget, what you are looking to get out of it, and when you plan on playing. I frequently go to Toronto and having the option to golf there was a big reason for joining Clublink. It does not have a country club feel but it provides lots of opportunities to play multiple nice golf courses.

In my opinion the best playing environment and group of members was at Rideauview. The drive out from downtown can be a little long.

Rivermead is a great course with some really nice members. The bridge traffic can be difficult but with club storage and lockers I used to bike to the course. The price when I left had started to creep up.

If you are planning on staying as a member for a long time I would recommend looking at the yearly dues when you switch over to a regular playing member as well.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Putter TS019 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnol View Post
    I'm 32 and also live downtown. I've been a member at Rideauview, Rivermead and now at Clublink.

It really depends on your budget, what you are looking to get out of it, and when you plan on playing. I frequently go to Toronto and having the option to golf there was a big reason for joining Clublink. It does not have a country club feel but it provides lots of opportunities to play multiple nice golf courses.

In my opinion the best playing environment and group of members was at Rideauview. The drive out from downtown can be a little long.

Rivermead is a great course with some really nice members. The bridge traffic can be difficult but with club storage and lockers I used to bike to the course. The price when I left had started to creep up.

If you are planning on staying as a member for a long time I would recommend looking at the yearly dues when you switch over to a regular playing member as well.

Let me know if you have any questions.
    Thanks for the advice. I知 likely to be playing a round or two a week at minimum. I like the idea of being able to play a quick 9 after work (or 18 in June/July daylight hours) so I guess traffic is also a consideration. I致e heard good things about Rideauview but I think it might be too much of a hike to get there. I致e also had family members and friends leave Rivermead in recent years due to the increasing fees. I知 not too familiar with clublink but I do appreciate the flexibility of playing different courses. To my knowledge there痴 Greyhawk and one on the Gatineau side as well? Not sure if there are more in the Region. That said, I did like the fact that tecumseh was a 8 minute drive during COVID despite its often less than ideal conditions. I guess I知 all over the map and will have to narrow down my preferences.

Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road
    You get what you pay for. Club link provides variety and is also the poorest conditioned (at least locally) of the courses on your list. So some give and take. Rideau View does have reciprocals around Toronto. I would have to assume Rivermead does too. Pricing is on the way up though; the intermediate program at Hunt has doubled in price and is now tiered with age bands every 2-3 years with price adjustments along the way. I suspect other top end private courses in the region either have or are moving towards a similar model. With courses being as busy as they were this year those paying full pop are not too happy with giving up the tee to those who pay a third of the price (I知 not in total agreement with this but that feeling does exist). I can tell you that I know it痴 leading to reviews of membership pricing at a number of clubs. Personally, if I was 30 and lived downtown and planned to play at least 2-3 games a week I would either join Royal Ottawa (great new range and a reciprocal list that rivals the best clubs in the country) or Rivermead.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Another factor is waiting lists.

I know at RV we have a waiting list and senior members will be getting priority over intermediates. We've also raised pricing for intermediate members.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Ace Travis is on a distinguished road
    Give Camelot a call. Although I知 outside of the intermediate category age-wise, I know they have a pretty competitive price. Great course. Easy drive from downtown area. Solid range, short game area/putting greens and although I may be biased as a member of the club, it is a top 3 course in the city IMO (Royal Ottawa and Hunt Club rounding out the list)

Posting Sensei justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    My daughter and her fiance live downtown and they are intermediate members at Metcalfe. The intermediate category at Metcalfe goes to age 39. Its a 30 minute drive (417 to Anderson Rd and go south). There's a 9-hole course and an 18-hole course, so lots of variety and options. No range - you can stop at Anderson Links or Target Golf Centre on the way if you want to warm up before your round. The conditioning is always good, the food is great and the membership is friendly.

Metcalfe has many, many membership options to choose from, and they are all considerably less expensive than ClubLink, Camelot, Rideauview, Rivermead and all of the other options you have heard about so far. Those courses do have exceptional conditioning - but you do pay for that and since you're asking about intermediate options I assume that price is a factor. Metcalfe has a waiting list for next year, but send them an email for the membership prices and if you like them then you can see what happens in the spring. The course is open for at least another week if you want to check it out first.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis View Post
    Give Camelot a call. Although I知 outside of the intermediate category age-wise, I know they have a pretty competitive price. Great course. Easy drive from downtown area. Solid range, short game area/putting greens and although I may be biased as a member of the club, it is a top 3 course in the city IMO (Royal Ottawa and Hunt Club rounding out the list)
    It certainly was top 3. Not anymore. Fun to play once a year not so sure I could walk that - especially the back nine, three times a week in the summer though. I think you need to budget for cart costs as part of the annual expense.

Fairway Junkie Michael is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnyc View Post
    It certainly was top 3. Not anymore. Fun to play once a year not so sure I could walk that - especially the back nine, three times a week in the summer though. I think you need to budget for cart costs as part of the annual expense.
    What makes you think it isn't top 3 any more, just because you can't walk the course?? I do agree, the back nine is not an easy walk with the elevation changes, front nine is flat except for the ninth hole. And there is a waiting list for intermediate members at Camelot as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    What makes you think it isn't top 3 any more, just because you can't walk the course?? I do agree, the back nine is not an easy walk with the elevation changes, front nine is flat except for the ninth hole. And there is a waiting list for intermediate members at Camelot as well.
    The conditions have deteriorated. Rankings aren稚 static. Walking has nothing to do with it, although I would say it effects playability. The truth is the condition has slipped, especially the greens. I have nothing against the club; it痴 still top 5 in Ottawa but it痴 not top 3.

Thread Information