CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Pitching Wedge MS1 is on a distinguished road

Rideauview or Camelot

Hi All,

I am wondering if anyone has views on which is better. Rideauview or Camelot. I have narrowed down my search to those two. Here are my criteria:

1) Golf Course/Playing conditions
    2) Practice Facilities/ Instruction
    3) Social: Welcoming, easy to connect with other members, friendly atmosphere
    4) Reciprocal options
    5) Winter activities: Winter golf, dining etc

I am also curious if anyone has other clubs they think are comparable in or below that price range. I live in the Glebe so looking primarily east/south. Thanks,

Muthanna

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Rideauview member here, so be aware of any potential bias.

1. IMHO RV is a much better layout than Camelot. Much better. Our conditions are generally top notch and Camelot is usually the same.

2. As of right now Camelot has better facilities but we are in the middle of a complete overhaul of our practice facilities. They should be open mid next year so at that point they will probably be the same.

3. I can't comment on Camelot but RV has a very good and friendly membership.

4. Not sure what Camelot has here. We have a relatively small reciprocal list that you can find on the website.

5. Nothing at RV. We are shut down for the winter.

Since you are in the Glebe RV will be easier to get to than Camelot generally speaking depending on where exactly you are in the Glebe.

There's nothing really similar if you are looking East/South. Rivermead would be the closest comparator and it's probably closer to the Glebe than Camelot.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Rideauview member here, so be aware of any potential bias.

1. IMHO RV is a much better layout than Camelot. Much better. Our conditions are generally top notch and Camelot is usually the same.

2. As of right now Camelot has better facilities but we are in the middle of a complete overhaul of our practice facilities. They should be open mid next year so at that point they will probably be the same.

3. I can't comment on Camelot but RV has a very good and friendly membership.

4. Not sure what Camelot has here. We have a relatively small reciprocal list that you can find on the website.

5. Nothing at RV. We are shut down for the winter.

Since you are in the Glebe RV will be easier to get to than Camelot generally speaking depending on where exactly you are in the Glebe.

There's nothing really similar if you are looking East/South. Rivermead would be the closest comparator and it's probably closer to the Glebe than Camelot.
    Thanks, I am in the south end so both are a similar distance from my house. The one advantage Camelot has cost wise is that they sell membership certificates instead of an initiation fee. It will retain its value and can be transferred. That said, it's a full upfront cost versus the split over 10 years at RV. I am 46. Any thoughts on the age of members?

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I don't know what the age breakdown at Camelot is but there's a pretty good mix at RV. At 46 you're probably around the average of all members.

I forgot to mention that we have a waiting list at RV right now. With everybody off/working from home this year and a reduction of tee times due to covid the tee sheet was slammed all year. Even with the two week delay to the season our rounds are up 40% compared to last year.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

3 Wood MarcArt is on a distinguished road MarcArt's Avatar
    Hi Muthanna,
    I am a member of the Hylands Golf Club, and I've put together a few answers to the questions you had. As far as proximity to the Glebe, Rideau View is twice as far as Hylands, and Camelot is slightly closer than Rideau View going by my old address on Clemow Avenue in the Glebe. It may take as little as ten minutes to get to a Hylands from the Glebe on weekends, perhaps thirty minutes to the other two.

1) Golf Course/Playing conditions.
    - One has to say golf courses (plural) at Hylands, because Hylands has two full courses. So, if there's a tournament, you always have a second course to play on, not possible at the other two.
    - I've played at Rideau View and Camelot, and Hylands can't quite match their conditions, if they are a ten, then Hylands' conditions are an an eight.
    2) Practice Facilities/ Instruction.
    - With three putting greens, full grass practice range, and high-tech matting (same matting as at The Hunt Club practice range) for use in inclement weather when the grass portion of range is temporarily closed, and, with two practice holes allowing for 100 yard shots to actual greens, neither Rideau View nor Camelot wouldn't be any further ahead in a rating as far as facilities. Hylands did have the Ottawa Athletic Club's Golf Program for many years, I am not sure what will become of it now, but certainly there is fine instruction and facilities for it at Hylands.
    3) Social: Welcoming, easy to connect with other members, friendly atmosphere.
    - I have been a member for a while and I have found Hylands' members incredibly welcoming. I can count on many groups of playing friends for social and golf opportunities. My experience is such that, I feel that becoming a member there was the best decision of any I could have made for value and in being accepted and welcomed into the Hylands' community.
    - I should note that the average age has come down considerably of late, on the range on Friday those practicing consisted of people whose average age couldn't have been more than thirty.
    4) Reciprocal options.
    - There have been reciprocal in the past, the last two years there hasn't been a program of reciprocals offered. But when the PGA Tour Canada's Mackenzie Tour played at Hylands for several years, as a courtesy from other courses in the region, reciprocals were offered at many clubs, including the Hunt.
    5) Winter activities: Winter golf, dining etc.
    - There are cross-country ski trails, winter biking, and a skating/hockey rink program as well. With Covid, I am not sure of the dining opportunities, but I am sure with a call to the course that, can be answered.
    6) 'Views' from the course.
    - From either Course at Hylands, you can see lots of planes taking off and landing, which the PGA Tour professionals found fascinating to watch when they played at the courses. By the way, you can't see the Rideau River at all from the Rideau View Golf course, and only glimpses of the Ottawa River from Camelot.

Regards.
    MarcArt.

Habitual poster adam is on a distinguished road adam's Avatar
    I live in the Glebe and am a Rivermead member, with the light traffic this year it's been 10-15 minutes for me to get to the course. Bridge traffic could be an issue at certain times of day last year obviously, but probably the same issue getting anywhere around rush hour.

We're also looking like we might have a wait list for next year, and had a pretty big uptick in rounds played - probably a consistent theme across all courses.
    Even I've never heard of me

Quote Originally Posted by MarcArt View Post
    Hi Muthanna,
    I am a member of the Hylands Golf Club, and I've put together a few answers to the questions you had. As far as proximity to the Glebe, Rideau View is twice as far as Hylands, and Camelot is slightly closer than Rideau View going by my old address on Clemow Avenue in the Glebe. It may take as little as ten minutes to get to a Hylands from the Glebe on weekends, perhaps thirty minutes to the other two.

1) Golf Course/Playing conditions.
    - One has to say golf courses (plural) at Hylands, because Hylands has two full courses. So, if there's a tournament, you always have a second course to play on, not possible at the other two.
    - I've played at Rideau View and Camelot, and Hylands can't quite match their conditions, if they are a ten, then Hylands' conditions are an an eight.
    2) Practice Facilities/ Instruction.
    - With three putting greens, full grass practice range, and high-tech matting (same matting as at The Hunt Club practice range) for use in inclement weather when the grass portion of range is temporarily closed, and, with two practice holes allowing for 100 yard shots to actual greens, neither Rideau View nor Camelot wouldn't be any further ahead in a rating as far as facilities. Hylands did have the Ottawa Athletic Club's Golf Program for many years, I am not sure what will become of it now, but certainly there is fine instruction and facilities for it at Hylands.
    3) Social: Welcoming, easy to connect with other members, friendly atmosphere.
    - I have been a member for a while and I have found Hylands' members incredibly welcoming. I can count on many groups of playing friends for social and golf opportunities. My experience is such that, I feel that becoming a member there was the best decision of any I could have made for value and in being accepted and welcomed into the Hylands' community.
    - I should note that the average age has come down considerably of late, on the range on Friday those practicing consisted of people whose average age couldn't have been more than thirty.
    4) Reciprocal options.
    - There have been reciprocal in the past, the last two years there hasn't been a program of reciprocals offered. But when the PGA Tour Canada's Mackenzie Tour played at Hylands for several years, as a courtesy from other courses in the region, reciprocals were offered at many clubs, including the Hunt.
    5) Winter activities: Winter golf, dining etc.
    - There are cross-country ski trails, winter biking, and a skating/hockey rink program as well. With Covid, I am not sure of the dining opportunities, but I am sure with a call to the course that, can be answered.
    6) 'Views' from the course.
    - From either Course at Hylands, you can see lots of planes taking off and landing, which the PGA Tour professionals found fascinating to watch when they played at the courses. By the way, you can't see the Rideau River at all from the Rideau View Golf course, and only glimpses of the Ottawa River from Camelot.

Regards.
    MarcArt.
    Thanks MarcArt. I got to play a round at Hylands and agree with you on the practice facilities. Two reasons that stop me from joining. 1) I have heard that access to TSheet/Times is a lottery and Military folks are given preference. You rarely get to golf at the time you want. 2) Although I did not get to use the dining/bar facilities, it looked a bit jaded.

Fairway Junkie Michael is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by MS1 View Post
    Hi All,

I am wondering if anyone has views on which is better. Rideauview or Camelot. I have narrowed down my search to those two. Here are my criteria:

1) Golf Course/Playing conditions
    2) Practice Facilities/ Instruction
    3) Social: Welcoming, easy to connect with other members, friendly atmosphere
    4) Reciprocal options
    5) Winter activities: Winter golf, dining etc

I am also curious if anyone has other clubs they think are comparable in or below that price range. I live in the Glebe so looking primarily east/south. Thanks,

Muthanna
    As for Camelot/Rideauview, here are some comments on Camelot:

1. Playing conditions are equal I believe, won't comment on layout, too subjective, both are good in my opinion.
    2. Very good practice facilities at Camelot, grass range, chipping area, practice bunkers and putting green. Very good instructors as well.
    3. I have had no issues connecting with other members and management and staff are very approachable.
    4. You can check the website for reciprocals, although due to Covid, they were all on hold this year but that was probably the same for all courses.
    5. Camelot does have indoor simulators, started last year. Two now but believe that may be expanding. A limited food and beverage menu is also available while using the simulators. There are some winter events and trails cleared for walking etc.

I don't believe you can go wrong with either choice, both are very good, depends on which one would tick the most boxes for you.

Quote Originally Posted by adam View Post
    I live in the Glebe and am a Rivermead member, with the light traffic this year it's been 10-15 minutes for me to get to the course. Bridge traffic could be an issue at certain times of day last year obviously, but probably the same issue getting anywhere around rush hour.

We're also looking like we might have a wait list for next year, and had a pretty big uptick in rounds played - probably a consistent theme across all courses.
    Thanks, Adam. I don't speak any French. Will that be an issue from a social perspective? Right now I golf public courses and have a bunch of friends that I golf with. My big worry joining a private club is that I will lose the group of guys I play with now

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    As for Camelot/Rideauview, here are some comments on Camelot:

1. Playing conditions are equal I believe, won't comment on layout, too subjective, both are good in my opinion.
    2. Very good practice facilities at Camelot, grass range, chipping area, practice bunkers and putting green. Very good instructors as well.
    3. I have had no issues connecting with other members and management and staff are very approachable.
    4. You can check the website for reciprocals, although due to Covid, they were all on hold this year but that was probably the same for all courses.
    5. Camelot does have indoor simulators, started last year. Two now but believe that may be expanding. A limited food and beverage menu is also available while using the simulators. There are some winter events and trails cleared for walking etc.

I don't believe you can go wrong with either choice, both are very good, depends on which one would tick the most boxes for you.
    Thanks, Michael. I am meeting with Greg on Thursday for a tour of the facilities.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    My 2 cents on Camelot and RV - I enjoy playing both and have played them several times each (not a member of either). Different courses for sure, Camelot is a bit more dramatic in terms of the layout, terrain, etc. but is a tough walk, especially on a hot summer day. RV, while hilly, is a nice walk and for someone that prefers walking, that would be the deciding factor.

Other courses to consider are the Hunt Club - 27 holes and the Royal Ottawa - their new practice facility is likely the best in the country and the course is great too and has the best patio of any course in Ottawa. That and the Royal 9 is a nice 9 hole course. Conditioning at all of these clubs is excellent.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    My 2 cents on Camelot and RV - I enjoy playing both and have played them several times each (not a member of either). Different courses for sure, Camelot is a bit more dramatic in terms of the layout, terrain, etc. but is a tough walk, especially on a hot summer day. RV, while hilly, is a nice walk and for someone that prefers walking, that would be the deciding factor.

Other courses to consider are the Hunt Club - 27 holes and the Royal Ottawa - their new practice facility is likely the best in the country and the course is great too and has the best patio of any course in Ottawa. That and the Royal 9 is a nice 9 hole course. Conditioning at all of these clubs is excellent.
    I do prefer walking so that is good to know. The Hunt Club and Royal are outside my price range.

3 Wood MarcArt is on a distinguished road MarcArt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MS1 View Post
    Thanks MarcArt. I got to play a round at Hylands and agree with you on the practice facilities. Two reasons that stop me from joining. 1) I have heard that access to TSheet/Times is a lottery and Military folks are given preference. You rarely get to golf at the time you want. 2) Although I did not get to use the dining/bar facilities, it looked a bit jaded.
    Hi again Muthanna,
    In another thread I mention mine and another Hylands member's comments about Tee Times for the two courses... see those comments below. And, there is no preferential treatment for members on Tee Times.
    And, while the facilities at Hylands are well kept, and more than in keeping with other clubs in the region, to compare it with Camelot and Rideau View one might find them not as modern, but one pays a premium for the luxuries of such facilities.

Lottery system… if you don’t get your time does it provide you with the next closest time?
    - Not always the very next available time, but I have had no issues with getting times I want overall. Though on a busy summer weekend you might get a time an hour or so out from what you put in for as a foursome; but as a single, even as a two-some, it is rarely an issue to get times you want. My friend and fellow Hylands member 'Muddler' said it best on this forum with this assessment of the Lottery system at Hylands:
    "I've been a member for 6 years. The club got a new reservation system a couple years ago and its pretty good. You can reserve a tee-time up to 10 days in advance from your computer or mobile device. You put in your preferred time, course, playing partners. The tee-time sheet is generated by computer 3 or 4 days in advance.
    If you want a tee time after that just log-in, find and opening, and put your name in. If it's full, just show up and the starter will slot you in, as there are almost always last minute cancellations. Also, you can play on a first-come first-served basis early in the morning or after 5:30pm.
    There are very rare occasions where one of the courses is being used for a tournament on a weekend morning when things will get a bit hairy. This is once or a twice a season for inter-sectionals.
    I play most of my golf after work during the week and just show-up. I book on weekends and generally get my preferred time."

Thread Information