CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter mal101 is on a distinguished road

Slope rating inconsistencies?

I played Renfrew last Friday. Beautiful scenery, conditions were excellent. Awesome and devilish green complexes.

I have played most of the courses within 100km of Ottawa and this has to be one of the toughest tracks in the area. Certainly it is ahead of Dragonfly, Sand Point Buckingham and Mountain Creek in that regard (all have higher slope). I would liken it in difficulty and feel to Haute Plaines, Sorcier, Heritage, Whitetail or Timber Ridge.

How then is the Slope Rating 115 (from whites) ??? I mean Pakenham (C/I) is 117. I bet a player that shoots 80 at Packenham shoots at least 85 at Renfrew with the same game. I think Renfrew slope should be more like 130.

Any comments on other area courses with bizarre slope ratings?

Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by mal101 View Post
    I played Renfrew last Friday. Beautiful scenery, conditions were excellent. Awesome and devilish green complexes.

I have played most of the courses within 100km of Ottawa and this has to be one of the toughest tracks in the area. Certainly it is ahead of Dragonfly, Sand Point Buckingham and Mountain Creek in that regard (all have higher slope). I would liken it in difficulty and feel to Haute Plaines, Sorcier, Heritage, Whitetail or Timber Ridge.

How then is the Slope Rating 115 (from whites) ??? I mean Pakenham (C/I) is 117. I bet a player that shoots 80 at Packenham shoots at least 85 at Renfrew with the same game. I think Renfrew slope should be more like 130.

I’ve actually played renfrew a few times and it’s not a difficult golf course. I haven’t played any of the other courses on the list provided so I have no idea how it compares to those but it’s not in the same league as many of the more difficult tracks in the city. As for slope and rating I do agree that many courses are incorrect. Best example is Black Bear Ridge. I find that course to be more difficult than the rating whereas I find Rideau View easier. Mind you it’s all how the course sets up and where the trouble exists. At Hunt I find the south 9 two to three strokes more difficult than the north nine yet the rating is almost the exact same.

3 Iron eez is on a distinguished road eez's Avatar
    Just so we're all talking the same thing, Slope is the indicator of difficulty of the course for a Bogie golfer. From Golf Canada .... Slope rating is the difference between the course rating for a ‘scratch’ golfer and the course rating for a ‘bogey’ golfer multiplied by a factor. The Slope rating indicates the difficulty of a golf course for the ‘bogey’ golfer relative to the scratch player.

In theory, a rating of 113 should be "average" difficulty of a course for a bogey golfer, which I interpret as a bogey golfer should shoot around bogey golf.

Given that, I think Renfrew's rating is reasonable. While it might be an easy course for a scratch golfer as indicated by the Rating of 69.4 vs. Par 71, the Slope of 115 indicates slightly above average difficulty for a bogey golfer (like me).

The courses I've played often and that I find rated too high (from the White tees, or equivalent) when compared to Renfrew, or the standard of 113 are:
    Sand Point - 122; Dragonfly - 126; eQuinelle - 120; Mississippi - 125; Cedarhill - 116; and I may have missed some.

Perth at 117, Prescott at 116 and Loch March (Blue) at 119 are reasonable when compared to Renfrew's 115 ..... in my opinion.
    You always hit a good shot on 18 to keep you coming back.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mal101 View Post

RGC got re-rated maybe 4-5 years ago, and some of the changes to the white tees (#4 and #16 come to mind) resulted in the softening of the slope rating.

In 2015 my 82 was a 10.8 differential, last night's 82 is a 12.4 differential. It doesn't seem like a lot but it hits me hard in the ole index!
    Andrew

Thread Information