CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    9 Iron joceber is on a distinguished road

Fall Green conditions (Punch greens or aeration)

I tend to avoid playing courses that just add fresh punched greens.
    Keep a list here.

Sorcier: Sept 21st
    |>
    Hole in one... ----------@,,,,,,,,,,,__|,,,,,,,,,, 07/06/14

Lob Wedge Le sorcier is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by joceber View Post
    Keep a list here.

Le Sorcier will start punching and top dressing the greens on Monday September the 28th, not September the 21st! Thank you

The management

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Prescott were punched a couple of weeks ago and I played yesterday and they have recovered very well, rolling fast and true. A few little spots can be seen where they punched but that's it.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

3 Iron eez is on a distinguished road eez's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joceber View Post
    Keep a list here.

Good idea to start a separate thread for this.

Played Pakenham today and of the 18 holes, I think only 1 was punched. #9 on Canyon.
    You always hit a good shot on 18 to keep you coming back.

Caddy Gofish2 is on a distinguished road Gofish2's Avatar
    Why do some courses punch early in the fall while others leave it to later ?

Quote Originally Posted by Gofish2 View Post
    Why do some courses punch early in the fall while others leave it to later ?
    This from Dragonfly's newsletter I received Sept. 1st.

As you are aware we aerated the back nine on Monday with great success. Terry invested a significant amount of money in a top-of-the-line aerator and we immediately saw a benefit in the form of the amount of time we saved punching them. What used to take us two days was accomplished in less than five hours. This let us top dress the greens with sand and mat the sand into the holes the same day. A little pain for a lot of gain.

The timing this year is earlier than other years and you may question as to why so early when the greens are playing so great? I hope to answer that in the next paragraph.

It is a culmination of many things but the biggest reason is our bentgrass greens need the fall heat to heal properly. If we wait until the cooler days of October, the turf is stressed when we close the course and the result is greens that don't bounce back come springtime (anybody remember hole #9 this spring?). We wish we never had to aerate but it is a key part of keeping the greens healthy. Next year when you say "these greens are in amazing shape" in May you will look back and think it was all worth it.

Aeration trivia time: What percentage of green actually has a hole punched in it? I bet it is lower than you initially guessed!!!

Answer: Around 10% of the green has holes in it. It is an optical illusion as your eyes are drawn to the holes.

Caddy Gofish2 is on a distinguished road Gofish2's Avatar
    Thanks for posting and appreciate the info from Dragonfly !

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Played Casselview yesterday and their greens were punched---small 1/4 inch holes---made no difference on the putt. For an out of the city course that has been under rated in my mind they do a magnificent job all year round---lots of clean up this year and looks like there is a mountain for fertilizer to apply--kudos to the crew
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Moderator Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 BogeyGolf is on a distinguished road BogeyGolf's Avatar
    The Meadows greens are punched and sanded. FYI. Full pop to play on them as well.

Ace KOKO72 is on a distinguished road KOKO72's Avatar
    This the time of year when I specifically ask if and when the greens were punched when making a tee time. Unfortunately a lot of courses will not offer this information up front when you are booking a time. Kudos to the ones that do..Equinelle and Stonebridge come to mind right away.

Full green fees should not be charged if the greens were freshly punched...(IMHO) We all understand that this is necessary to keep the greens healthy and in top shape but its not really golf if the greens are unputtable.

Gap Wedge Stonebridge is on a distinguished road Stonebridge's Avatar
    Week of October 5th we will be aerating tees and starting our irrigation blowout.

October 13th we will begin aerating fairways.

GREENS will not be aerated until after we close for the season. They were done early August and will remain in perfect shape for the remainder of the season.

Thank you
    Web: www.stonebridgegc.com Twitter: @StonebridgeClub Facebook: www.facebook.com/StonebridgeClub

Ace KOKO72 is on a distinguished road KOKO72's Avatar
    Marshes will begin aerating their greens on Mon Oct 5 according to the booking site. Here is the message:

GREEN AERATION:
    BEGINNING MONDAY, OCTOBER 5TH, WE WILL BE AERATING OUR GREENS. WE WILL BE DOING 2 GREENS A DAY UNTIL THE JOB IS COMPLETE. OUR PRICES HAVE BEEN REDUCED TO REFLECT THIS PROCESS.

Scratch Player Gobble_It is on a distinguished road Gobble_It's Avatar
    Stittsville (Glen Mar) has been punched with small holes. Ball is rolling ok on the greens though. Lots of fertilizers around the greens/tee box areas

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Any report on rockland punching their greens?
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Need a Caddy slash is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    Any report on rockland punching their greens?
    Punch 10 days ago. Playing tomorrow and will update. Played twice last week and they were a bit bumpy because the sand had went down.

Seasoned Veteran donquijote is on a distinguished road donquijote's Avatar
    Sandpoint (Arnprior ) will be punching them this weekend
    Played today and some holes had a lot of killed spots on the greens

3 Iron rad is on a distinguished road
    Marshes punched

Quote Originally Posted by slash View Post
    Punch 10 days ago. Playing tomorrow and will update. Played twice last week and they were a bit bumpy because the sand had went down.
    Thanks Denis
    Lefty Lucas

Need a Caddy slash is on a distinguished road
    Greens at Rockland are in great shape. A bit on the slow side but all punch holes have almost disappeared

5 Wood Grabster is on a distinguished road
    Tuesday played Marshes. Apparently the "2 greens a day" advertised was the case. Almost all greens were punched and about 3 were sanded. Not a good experience.

Friday played Stittsville. Punched greens but not an issue for putting. Small holes. No big impact.
    And the course is pretty good. Had a blast. First visit there.

3 Iron rad is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabster View Post
    Tuesday played Marshes. Apparently the "2 greens a day" advertised was the case. Almost all greens were punched and about 3 were sanded. Not a good experience.

Friday played Stittsville. Punched greens but not an issue for putting. Small holes. No big impact.
    And the course is pretty good. Had a blast. First visit there.
    Yes they did 12 the first day by “accident”. They did take 50% off the already reduced price without me asking though. Was something like $25 for 18 with cart.

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    Played Perth recently. Greens were punched (large holes) and sanded. Not sure when but probably sometime last week. When the ball landed, sand kicked up. Aeration holes caused some tracking issues on putts

Medalist imozzie is on a distinguished road imozzie's Avatar
    Pine Viewwill be punching greens Tues and Wed next week. Only 9 holes available each day.
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

Casselview were to punch their greens once more this past Monday, not sure if the weather delayed things or not.
    Lefty Lucas

Lob Wedge campbellgolf is on a distinguished road
    Casselview were to punch their greens once more this past Monday, not sure if the weather delayed things or not.
    Supposed to play there tomorrow. Hopefully they aren't too bad

5 Wood Pine View is on a distinguished road Pine View's Avatar
    Pine View will be punching our greens next week. Font nine Tuesday, back nine Wednesday. The Executive course will be punched Monday (weather permitting) or Thursday.
    This is not the Pine View you remember from years gone by. Come back and see what we have done and what we have in store for the future - www.pineview.com

Quote Originally Posted by campbellgolf View Post
    Supposed to play there tomorrow. Hopefully they aren't too bad
    Please let us know how they as I have a couple of replacement games there to play and will go soon if they are decent.
    Lefty Lucas

Quote Originally Posted by powerlefty View Post
    Played Perth recently. Greens were punched (large holes) and sanded. Not sure when but probably sometime last week. When the ball landed, sand kicked up. Aeration holes caused some tracking issues on putts
    I also played Perth last week (Wed. the 14th) and you'd get rooster tails of sand on long hard putts. Overall still playable.

Played there yesterday and what a difference a week makes with some warmish weather and rain. Greens were coming back really nicely. They are closing on the 31st.

Which courses are still in decent condition for this week and next ?

I played Canadian this past Sunday and it is in very good condition like summer.
    The punched a green a while ago and it is rolling very well.

Are there any other courses that have not punched their greens yet ?

Thanks

Please let us know how they as I have a couple of replacement games there to play and will go soon if they are decent.

Did you play there recently and how are the greens ?

Thanks

Thread Information