CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Lob Wedge Scorpion43 is on a distinguished road

Membership Choice

I am deciding on potentially joining either GreyHawk (Clublink) or Carleton Yacht and Golf. I live in the south end and both are very easily accessed. Price is about the same for both once you add in Food and all the miscellaneous. Thoughts??? Thanks

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    What type of course do you like? Carleton is short and tight with lots of trees.

Both courses at GreyHawk are full championship length and fairly wide open. Plus you get the benefit of all the other Clublink courses.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Monday Qualifier 314314 is on a distinguished road
    I'm at http://www.hylandsgc.com/index.php?lang=en best deal in town...

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion43 View Post
    I am deciding on potentially joining either GreyHawk (Clublink) or Carleton Yacht and Golf. I live in the south end and both are very easily accessed. Price is about the same for both once you add in Food and all the miscellaneous. Thoughts??? Thanks

Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road
    I’m actually shocked to hear that the price is about the same. Are you a fully privileged player over the age of 40? I believe Carleton is $2,500 annually with no initiation. Is Greyhawk the same?

6 Iron cobra is on a distinguished road cobra's Avatar
    Joined Carleton for a trial, $1500 for 25 rounds unlimited after 5 pm. Course is in great shape. Not long but you have to be accurate as there a lot of trees.

Lob Wedge Scorpion43 is on a distinguished road
    Correct it is $1500 for 25 rounds yet for a husband and wife membership the cost is close to $8500 when you factor in both memberships, Food and Beverage, capital fees and taxes. And Initiation of only $200 this month. Next year $3000 . So if I wait until Spring 21 the cost for two would jump to $11,500.

Correct it is $1500 for 25 rounds yet for a husband and wife membership the cost is close to $8500 when you factor in both memberships, Food and Beverage, capital fees and taxes. And Initiation of only $200 this month. Next year $3000 . So if I wait until Spring 21 the cost for two would jump to $11,500.
    How does this compare to Clublink using the exact same calculation? I have to assume Carleton is 50% cheaper

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road
    Cost of memberships for Carleton and Greyhawk are not even close if you are a talking about Adult memberships.

Hylands is a good deal for sure with 36 holes but not the most exciting course.
    Carleton only has 18 holes and is not very long and does not have many "great" holes.
    Greyhawk has the 36 holes and much more variety in hole design in my view.

Emerald Links is not private but is in great shape and to me offers better variety of holes than several courses and can play very tough if you want to play the blue tees.

I am in the process of picking a course that offers a family membership/range etc and these are all the options I am looking as I live in Greely.

3 Wood Jasonreg is on a distinguished road
    Pop out to Rideauview for a look. Complete revamp and upgrade of the practice facilities underway, good family atmosphere & junior improvement programs, greens and fairways are in amazing shape. Price on par with Clublink and close to Greely (back roads it is 20 mins door to door, 25-30 through Manotick). Worth considering - we have been there for about 8 years now - PM me if you have any specific questions. Jason

Rideauview is a great course for sure. I have never been a "membership" guy because I get bored at one course, so only having 18 holes is a negative to me...

I am looking at memberships now because my boys like to play and we play as a family once a week and my wife likes to practice and play, but my wife and kids only play 9 holes at a time.

Rideauview is $10k per year for a family + initiation

Last I checked Clublink (Greyhawk) has a family deal for less than $6k

3 Wood Jasonreg is on a distinguished road
    Best to take it offline but there are three separate family options depending on the #s of rounds for the parents. Happy to discuss in a PM if you would like additional info.

Why take it offline? I am confused...
    Why not share all the info people can get right here?

It looks like Rideauview for my family (wife playing more than 20 rounds) would be $9600 + initiation and other fees.

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by golfisforfun View Post
    Why take it offline? I am confused...
    Why not share all the info people can get right here?

It looks like Rideauview for my family (wife playing more than 20 rounds) would be $9600 + initiation and other fees.
    Crazy...
    Hylands is just over $5k for 2 adults and 2 kids. Full memberships, no restrictions.

Quote Originally Posted by em69 View Post
    Crazy...
    Hylands is just over $5k for 2 adults and 2 kids. Full memberships, no restrictions.
    You get what you pay for. There is a fairly significant gap between Hylands and Rideau View.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnyc View Post
    You get what you pay for. There is a fairly significant gap between Hylands and Rideau View.
    There certainly is... 18 holes and $5,000 from the sounds of it...

But yes, Rideau View is a beautiful course.

There certainly is... 18 holes and $5,000 from the sounds of it...

If money is the determining factor I’d explore Metcalfe as an option from Greely.

If money is the determining factor I’d explore Metcalfe as an option from Greely.
    I think for most people money is a factor. Is Rideau View twice the value of Hylands or Greyhawk? That is up to each person to decide...

I think for most people money is a factor. Is Rideau View twice the value of Hylands or Greyhawk? That is up to each person to decide...
    Yes I agree, money is a factor. Rideau View would be twice as nice, but not sure it’s twice the value. It’s all in what the member wants to get out of the experience. You want to play the better golf course, with access to some great reciprocals, then it’s a no brainer. If you are just looking to play and also enjoy the social benefits of a membership then I’m sure Metcalfe could provide that.
    I looked at Rideau View 10 years ago before joining Hunt and looked at it again 2 years ago before I graduated to a fully privileged membership. It’s a nice course. It’s probably top 5 in the City in terms of condition and layout. If you joined there it would be a great time. Only knock for me is the access to the tee sheet wasn’t great; not sure how that is now. But otherwise it was about 70% the cost of Hunt and about 60% the track (50% if you figure 18 vs 27 holes).

What I will say reading this forum is people know what they know. If they have only ever played Manderly and then go to a course like Emerald Links it surely would leave them with the impression that Emerald Links is in great shape. I read here now Stonebridge is perfect condition and how Marshes is mint. This is because this is all these people have played so this is accurate to them. I’ve never driven a Ferrari so I can’t say how it handles but when it comes to golf courses there are so many out there of so many varied conditions, designs, etc but there is something for everyone. Most will offer you the chance to come and poke around and play a round when making your decision. Have fun with the process and jump in.

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    I do agree with Rideaview being very nice for sure. But IMO only...not worth double the costs. Hylands does have two full length courses to choose from for variety which is a nice feature.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    I guess money is a big factor for all of us. My opinion is choose a course, public or private where you know all the family will be happy. The other thing is if you dont enjoy your experience at a private course, what do you stand to lose cash wise if it doenst work out? Initiation fees? Other related fees? Maybe some private course members can shed a light on this.

6 Iron cobra is on a distinguished road cobra's Avatar
    Yes I agree, money is a factor. Rideau View would be twice as nice, but not sure it’s twice the value. It’s all in what the member wants to get out of the experience. You want to play the better golf course, with access to some great reciprocals, then it’s a no brainer. If you are just looking to play and also enjoy the social benefits of a membership then I’m sure Metcalfe could provide that.
    I looked at Rideau View 10 years ago before joining Hunt and looked at it again 2 years ago before I graduated to a fully privileged membership. It’s a nice course. It’s probably top 5 in the City in terms of condition and layout. If you joined there it would be a great time. Only knock for me is the access to the tee sheet wasn’t great; not sure how that is now. But otherwise it was about 70% the cost of Hunt and about 60% the track (50% if you figure 18 vs 27 holes).

What I will say reading this forum is people know what they know. If they have only ever played Manderly and then go to a course like Emerald Links it surely would leave them with the impression that Emerald Links is in great shape. I read here now Stonebridge is perfect condition and how Marshes is mint. This is because this is all these people have played so this is accurate to them. I’ve never driven a Ferrari so I can’t say how it handles but when it comes to golf courses there are so many out there of so many varied conditions, designs, etc but there is something for everyone. Most will offer you the chance to come and poke around and play a round when making your decision. Have fun with the process and jump in.
    I had an associate membership at RV a couple of years ago. Really enjoyed it, great course and amenities. Tee sheet wasn’t a problem since I typically play later in the day and close to my home. Didn’t end up joining as I don’t play enough to justify the total cost. Lucky that we have so many options to chose from.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
    I guess money is a big factor for all of us. My opinion is choose a course, public or private where you know all the family will be happy. The other thing is if you dont enjoy your experience at a private course, what do you stand to lose cash wise if it doenst work out? Initiation fees? Other related fees? Maybe some private course members can shed a light on this.
    Initiation fees and any capital adjustments would be a write off if you walk. The one thing you can keep is an equity share if you so choose to purchase it. If the course was ever to sell the share holders would be entitled to a payment. I joined Hunt 10 years ago and the initiation has moved up and down. It was $21,500 when I joined. It got as low as being waived entirely if you had already paid somewhere else and now that there is a waiting list again it is back up over $20,000 and a birdie tells me it’s going back to $30,000. We had a capital cost (one time charge) of $5,000 during the 18 hole renovation. Otherwise now it’s just annual dues. They waived the Food and Beverage this year (which I personally believe was a mistake) which is normally $1,200. Course has been super busy this year (I would say 30% to 50% more rounds are being played this year) because people aren’t vacationing like they normally would. Guests were only just recently allowed and are limited to Saturday only. Guest fee is up again this year; last Saturday was the busiest guest day since I joined - 108 guests!!

Fairway Junkie Michael is on a distinguished road
    Initiation fees and any capital adjustments would be a write off if you walk. The one thing you can keep is an equity share if you so choose to purchase it. If the course was ever to sell the share holders would be entitled to a payment. I joined Hunt 10 years ago and the initiation has moved up and down. It was $21,500 when I joined. It got as low as being waived entirely if you had already paid somewhere else and now that there is a waiting list again it is back up over $20,000 and a birdie tells me it’s going back to $30,000. We had a capital cost (one time charge) of $5,000 during the 18 hole renovation. Otherwise now it’s just annual dues. They waived the Food and Beverage this year (which I personally believe was a mistake) which is normally $1,200. Course has been super busy this year (I would say 30% to 50% more rounds are being played this year) because people aren’t vacationing like they normally would. Guests were only just recently allowed and are limited to Saturday only. Guest fee is up again this year; last Saturday was the busiest guest day since I joined - 108 guests!!
    Any issue getting a tee time in the mornings??

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Any issue getting a tee time in the mornings??
    I’ve not had an issue before this year. Again, course play is significantly higher this year then I’ve ever seen it before. Thankfully we have 27 holes which really helps but to answer your question - yes, more difficult this year then ever before. If I know I have availability I book in advance and am able to get something within an hour of my request. As a single you can always find a game last minute but if you’re trying to get a foursome last minute it’s really hard this year. That was never the case before. Up until this year we probably had 25% to 40% of the membership who played fewer then 10 games a year. We were spoiled.

Thread Information