100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    72 Divots

Angry Television Coverage

I have no doubt that similar threads have been written before so please bear with me. I just need to vent a little frustration with British Open television coverage (most golf television coverage these days for that matter). More specifically, television networks insisting on just showing a few players throughout a round, sometimes even when those players are not even in contention. Now don't get me wrong, Jack Nicklaus is a hero of mine adn I understand and appreciate the historic aspect of his round today. But really...do we need to watch him as he waits five minutes for his turn to tee off or as he walks between holes?! Particulalry his first few holes of the day. Save this inundated coverage for when he approches 17 & 18. There are so many players within a few shots of the lead, it would be nice to enjoy some of what the other golfers are doing. My man Freddie is two shots off the lead at last check and I've seen him putt twice!

Thank you...I feel better!

Fairway Junkie sharkshooter is on a distinguished road sharkshooter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 72 Divots
    .... My man Freddie is two shots off the lead at last check and I've seen him putt twice!

Thank you...I feel better!
    Don't get me wrong, I agree with your rant, but, being at work, I would pay to have seen anyone putt twice today.

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by 72 Divots
    But really...do we need to watch him as he waits five minutes for his turn to tee off or as he walks between holes?!
    Yes, I do!!!
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    [QUOTE=72 Divots], television networks insisting on just showing a few players throughout a round, sometimes even when those players are not even in contention. Now don't get me wrong, Jack Nicklaus is a hero of mine adn I understand and appreciate the historic aspect of his round today. But really...do we need to watch him as he waits five minutes for his turn to tee off or as he walks between holes?!
    [QUOTE]

I don't know if this will make you feel better but this question was posed to a tv exec & the response was that they are trying to draw in the casual viewer. They know you're going to watch no matter what.What they also know is the channel surfing semi-fan will stop on their channel if Jack or Tiger is on the screen.
    So their answer is regardless of who is leading, they will show whoever makes people watch.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EDSGOLF
    Yes, I do!!!
    Me too.
    Just like we did while watching him at Pebble While sitting on the fence at 18, just like we watched his walk thru Augusta. What JAck has done for this game is unmatched by anyone.
    I had chillls watching the standing ovation they gave him today while walking down the fairway on no 1. I bet if you asked ALL the players in the field today if they would like to watch his round if they didnt have to prepare and play their own rounds, the would ALL say yes. If they had the chance to play with him and WAtson today? Again they would say yes in a heartbeat.

Just enjoy!
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    Me too. I remember they did the same thing with Arnie, and I thought it was a great idea. Devote a few minutes of airtime to people who put this game, from a North American television perspective, on the map. I would have gladly watched his whole round.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    I agree. We will miss Jack. I watched and it was memorable for sure. Tomorrow is Saturday. Moving day. It is always best when it blows nasty cold hoizontal rain.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Now that Jack is done, let skies open with a bang and have them play the course the way we like to see it. More wind, a little rain maybe
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Hopelessly Addicted fireice is on a distinguished road fireice's Avatar
    Weather looks like more of the same 20-21 degrees wind about 9mph out of the west.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?world=0015

Will anyone catch Tiger? Hopefully.

Champion sharkhark is on a distinguished road sharkhark's Avatar
    I agree with your original comment about only following the typical 4 or 5 well known bunch. Example today I suddenly see 2 names close to the top that I don't even know (i.e. the kid who accidentaly drove on to a wrong green).

They were not covered at all, suddenly a small comment is made that someone unknown is doing well today, then their name, then that's it, back to phil or ernie going through an average round.
    Well of course they must be playing well to suddenly hit the leaderboard but would you know it? of course not.
    In regards to Jack, he's great, he deserved extra attention in his final tourney round...but..way too much...the soft focus footage from his previous open wins..over...and over. If you watched all the coverage today like me then you must agree it was overboard. Between that and the same commercials over and over (can you say DQ..bzzzz....bzzzz...or nike jr tiger....bzzzzzzzzz.
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    My complaint about TV coverage is when they come back from commercial, show 3 or 4 shots and go back to commercial. Tough to get interested when you are watching more commercials (like a previous poster said, the same ones) than Open coverage. Bring on the Master's with next to no commercials.

Thread Information