CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Golf town

Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road

Golf town

Full disclosure; over the years I’ve had a number of buddies who have worked at golf town. Used to spend a lot of money there and even took lessons with Marc when he had a teaching station set up. Boxing Day was always a can’t miss and I usually loaded up on clothing. But I have to tell you I’ve noticed a steady decline in sales and service over the years. What I saw today (my first visit since Boxing Day) was pretty wild. Finding LH clubs is always a challenge and I know that going in. I usually order from the pro shop at the club but was looking for a one off today so thought I’d take a chance. While browsing I overheard two people, one clearly identified as an employee with the black golf shirt and the other who I assumed was a patron. Both used language you’d generally hear in a bar with multiple F’s, etc. I can even describe in detail the conversation as I couldn’t help hearing every word despite not trying to listen and standing approximately 20 feet away. I was really surprised to learn that the guy with the blue golf shirt on was actually also an employee. Anyway between the service and the cost increases (everything is cheaper at our pro shop counter) there is just no reason to shop at golf town any longer. Not sure if this is a one off and maybe I’m in the minority but these are my impressions of late. It’s too bad too, it was such a great place once upon a time.

Bogie ladygolfer13 is on a distinguished road ladygolfer13's Avatar
    I would have said something to the Duty Manager

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    This is definitely not new but when the manager/staff have no $$$ interest in the endeavor what does one expect. I can see the volume of sales going up at a few of the local courses that have a decent pro shop--much like the specialty sports shops of the 60s and 70s.
    I think we will probably see one more Golf Town shut its doors before long. I have also heard Sports Check is also feeling the pinch. There are golfers--but just fewer of them. Courses are full but that relates to longer t-time spacings. It's been a tough year all over.
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Monday Qualifier 314314 is on a distinguished road
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by ladygolfer13 View Post
    I would have said something to the Duty Manager

Pitching Wedge GMoch is on a distinguished road
    Since they let go a lot of the old Management such as Glen Pitt and Ian Brown go for example there has been a massive decline in service. Have had some terrible interactions with the Manager at the Trainyards location. Ever would have happened years ago. Too bad.

Thread Information