100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    "Richard"
    is there anywayto block Golfbum from sending me prvate msgs? He is taking taking offence to me calling his "home course" a cow patch. I guess he is from there and isn't to happy with my comments about that course.

*edit* I had posted his coments to me on here but took it down as it doesn't really accomplish anything. I haved him.

On a seperate note, rgk5 it was very big of you to apologize and i would like to do the same if I said anything that offended you but its just my opinion. Sure my opinion of the course might change after I play the course (if they don't see right through me and throw me off the course and throw my clubs on the ground) but until then thats just wnat I think of the course once you take away the history and the fact that it is all natural, no designing involved
    Last edited by "Richard"; 07-15-2005 at 09:07 PM.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    I understand everyone's point of view on this topic. Yes the Old Course is the home of golf, has ton of history and anybody who is half serious about the game would play the course in a heartbeat if the opportunity presented itself. But in some regards I do agree with thotho. Anybody can't the Old Course is nice to look at. All those humps and brown. I think that is what thotho is saying. But to some the course is beautiful for different ways. I mean put Augusta and the Old Course side by side and for pure visual appeal Augusta would blow it away. But what makes the Old Course great is the heritage. Anybody and everybody who is anybody in the game of golf has walked those fairways and greens and that is what makes it so awe inspiring to us golfers.

And as for Jack playing his last round at St. Andrew's, I think the signifigance has more to do with finishing his career where the game began. But I'm pretty sure everyone has made that connection.

It is ok to disagree with someone but no need to run them down. That is why it is an opinion and not the answer. Voice your opposition but do not personally attack someone. Everyone has the right to an opinion, good or bad, but if we all agreed how boring would that be.

Enjoy the final two rounds and let's hope the mother nature starts showing here teeth to make this course play a little tougher and make it a memorable Open.

Amateur BullDog is on a distinguished road BullDog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scottycameron
    Its all about the history... The origin of the game...
    Among other things, but you're spot on. I was priviledged to play the course in 1999 and my first tee shot, playing 17 and crossing the Swilken bridge on 18 are my best golf memories in my 23 years playing the game.

There's just *something* about being where all the legends have played.

Medalist faldo is on a distinguished road faldo's Avatar
    Another thought about St. Andrews.

Remember, it's totally owned in perpetuity by the residents of the town of St. Andrews. It's never opened on Sunday's for golf, except for the Open every 4/5 years. Next week at this time, you'll see nothing out there but people walking dogs, families picnicing beside the Hell Bunker and kids running up from the beach to hide in the fescue.

Ahh yes, sounds just like Augusta .
    Of course, each of those kids would have to be worth Ten Mil each....

Let's just enjoy the shotmaking (and pray for some big winds,

Ciao,

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    I'm totally opposite. I think the course looks beautiful. Yes, it looks brown, but those greens are fast and tricky (think stonebridge x 10). Those bunkers are strategically placed and can turn a par into a triple. Then there's the weather, which tough luck, you play in, no outs. The design is beautiful in my eyes, and so is the course.

Did Tiger make it look easy this weekend? Yes. But he didn't several years ago when he was in the lead and then shot an 88 on a wet, windy and wild day.

Barnie
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfpeasant
    I'm totally opposite. I think the course looks beautiful. Yes, it looks brown, but those greens are fast and tricky (think stonebridge x 10). Those bunkers are strategically placed and can turn a par into a triple. Then there's the weather, which tough luck, you play in, no outs. The design is beautiful in my eyes, and so is the course.
    Exactly my point from earlier.. To me the course looks the way a golf course is supposed to be. I love the different options it yields. Bump and run etc. I'm personally a big fan of links style courses with mad fescue that requires decision making and thought around the green. I can't wait to go and play it some day.

Sand Wedge charronja is on a distinguished road

St. Andrews Scotland

I was at the Royal and Ancient St. Andrews in 2000. I didn't get to play it, but I was able to walk parts of it. When you're there, looking out over the fairways, you can't help but think "Where's the course?" It just looks like an expanse of grass. You can't even make out the pot bunkers. It was weird. However, in saying all that I would still have loved to play it.
    http://www.charrongolf.com

Need a Caddy rgk5 is on a distinguished road rgk5's Avatar

Thumbs up

On a seperate note, rgk5 it was very big of you to apologize and i would like to do the same if I said anything that offended you but its just my opinion. Sure my opinion of the course might change after I play the course (if they don't see right through me and throw me off the course and throw my clubs on the ground) but until then thats just wnat I think of the course once you take away the history and the fact that it is all natural, no designing involved[/QUOTE]

Thanks amigo as your thoughts are appreciated.

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    I am a Scotsman and have visited St Andrews but not played there (yet).

I must say that even walking onto part of the course gives you the chills, you can see where all the great players hit their shots from and replay them in your mind. When you see the valley of sin, the Swilcan bridge, the road hole it just brings back all the memories of past dramas there.

It may look like a "cow pasture" to some, but to me it is heaven.

I once went to (the old) Wembley Stadium in London on a tour when I was a kid. I got to touch the hallowed turf, go up the famous 39 steps, hold up the FA Cup. It was truely amazing, just like visiting the old course. What I am trying to say is that you need to go there and see it for yourself, St Andrews isn't just a golf course, just like Wembley isn't just a soccer ground, they are monuments to the history of their games.

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfpeasant
    But he didn't several years ago when he was in the lead and then shot an 88 on a wet, windy and wild day.
    Actually, it was an 81, in 2002, and not at St. Andrews, but at Murfied.

See http://www.opengolf.com/history/past...sps?PartNo=131 for the recap.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar

Question

What does it cost to play St. Andrews?
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mberube
    What does it cost to play St. Andrews?

115 pounds in the main season, 85 for two weeks in early spring and late fall, 56 off the mats in the winter. Exchange is around 2.1 these days, so a not unreasonable $240-50 in $CDN.

http://www.standrews.org.uk/golf/boo...reen_fees.html

I walked this course back in '99 in the midst of a long hiatus from golf. Walked Pebble Beach in '03 on my honeymoon. Played neither, but desperately wanted to. I think you have to see them to really appreciate them. They are gorgeous and I'll take real links golf anyday over the manufactured layouts.

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack
    Actually, it was an 81, in 2002, and not at St. Andrews, but at Murfied.

See http://www.opengolf.com/history/past...sps?PartNo=131 for the recap.
    Same weather.

Amateur BullDog is on a distinguished road BullDog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spackler
    115 pounds in the main season, 85 for two weeks in early spring and late fall, 56 off the mats in the winter. Exchange is around 2.1 these days, so a not unreasonable $240-50 in $CDN.
    Wow - what a difference. I paid 70 pounds in June of 1999. Exchange was about 2.5 then. That's quite a hike in only six years.

Mike

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    Here's an interesting article with some information about how to play the Old Course:

http://www.golfdigest.com/majors/bri...7scalping.html

MJF

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Great article. Stupid deal.

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    Personally I agree that St. Andrews Old Course is a very ugly course. I was commenting on that with my wife all weekend long while watching the tourney. History is history, and all that good stuff, but that is definitely the ugliest golf course I've seen on TV in a big tourney. I'm not saying it's easy to play of course, nor that there is reason to take it out of the Open Championship rotation. Just not aesthetically appealing to me.

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Championship Cup Eldred is on a distinguished road Eldred's Avatar
    Wow, I didn't know there are many courses surrounding the old course at St Andrews. Look at The Jubilee, it's right on the coast, I wonder if you'll get the sense of both Pebble Beach and The Old Course in one there!!!

http://www.standrews.org.uk/golf/the...scorecard.html

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by broken27
    Personally I agree that St. Andrews Old Course is a very ugly course. I was commenting on that with my wife all weekend long while watching the tourney. History is history, and all that good stuff, but that is definitely the ugliest golf course I've seen on TV in a big tourney. I'm not saying it's easy to play of course, nor that there is reason to take it out of the Open Championship rotation. Just not aesthetically appealing to me.

Dan
    That's funny because my wife, (who doesn't golf) said she liked the looks of The Old Course. She has sat and watched The Masters etc with me and yet she said The Old Course looked rather neat. All the bunkers, the big double greens etc were something she liked the looks of.

I guess it all comes down to what we, as golfers think a course should look like. I prefer traditional older courses and the links style layouts. I don't need flower beds everywhere on a course. I would prefer greens that are green and fairways that are firm yet green. Rough? Rough is meant to be punishment so if it is not lush green I don't care. Hit it there, get what you deserve!

As I said, we all have our preferences in course styles.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road

Comments From The Shark

I just came across these comments from Greg Norman regarding golfing in Scotland.

“This part of Scotland,” he says, “is a unique place and to have the chance to play St. Andrews and then move on to Royal Aberdeen for my Seniors debut is great.

“When we play in America, it’s all about target golf. If you have 143 yards to the flag, you have to hit a wedge 143 and spin it back. On these great links courses you must look at the bump and run, and the different sort of strokes you have to play are fantastic.”

To me that says it all about Links Golf. No imagination? Stay home!
    The course I play constantly is somewhat like a links layout, minus the ocean of course. However it gets windy there, and I am talking big winds too. You have to be able to run some shots up onto the greens or you just can't control your distance when playing into or downwind. Makes it rather interesting at times!
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    I love links style golf. A few courses here have that style but are much more green. Cloverdale is links style and when the wind blows, it's great golf if you play the game the way you have to, to score well. Isnt Predator open and hilly fairways? You should be able to make the ball roll forever off the tee with low riding drives and then bump and run your seconds into those greens. I play with Colby often and he is getting to be a master at those low balls. ( )

I guess it all depends on the game you like.
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    To clarify, I have nothing against Links style golf in terms of playing it. I just find St. Andrews Old Course particularly ugly to look at on TV....

My home course is pretty Links-y through the front 9, with more of a target golf back. I really enjoyed Predator when we played with Colby last year (?). I just think that for television, and in terms of pure esthetics, the course we saw at the Open doesn't belong in the same class as Augusta or Pebble Beach.

Of course, it's all purely opinion...

dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Thread Information