CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar

My negative experience at Stittsville golf course (Formerly GlenMar)

m4.jpg

I was part of 7 friends playing golf at Stittsville golf course on the afternoon of Sunday 17-May-2020. I had booked two tee times (2:20PM and 2:30PM) for myself and all my friends to play golf. I arrived at the parking lot at approximately 2PM to find the parking lot nearly full with a number of people openly drinking alcohol in the parking lot. Some sitting on the ground, some on a cart and some others on lawn chairs. I attempted to find a corner parking spot away from the commotion and found a corner spot immediately next to the East entrance of the parking lot.
    As an example of the drunkenness on the course, a twosome was observed by the second group I was a part of, taking their shirts off and diving into the pond adjacent to the first tee prior to teeing off.

I parked my car and went in to check in, pay and start my round. I teed off at 2:20PM alongside two friends, while the groups behind me consisted of the other 4 friends.

Upon finishing the 9th hole my group walked over to the 10th tee waiting to tee off. 9th Green and 10th tee are adjacent to the parking lot. Before we had a chance to tee off our friends in the group behind us finished the 9th hole.

At this time a friend from the group behind us went to the parking lot to retrieve something from his car. In the parking lot he was met by two elderly couples who asked him if he knew anyone with a black BMW which had been involved in an accident. He replied that the car in question belonged to his friend (me). He then walked to the 10th tee and informed me of the event.

I went to the parking lot and met the 2 elderly couples who told me my car was damaged and that “they” (some other unknown persons) were going to pay the deductible. I looked all over my car and did not find a note from the person who had hit my car. I replied, why would “they” (some other unknown persons) pay the deducible if they hit my car, and that whoever was responsible should be paying all the damages to the car. At that time the couple told me to see the head pro who wanted to talk to me.

I went to the clubhouse and was met with the Head pro at the golf course who apologized for what had happened, and said they looked through their video cameras and could not tell who had hit my car. He also said they would be installing a new camera to capture the part of the parking lot I was in. He was sympathetic. When I asked him if he knew when I had been hit, he said “An hour and half ago” but I did not think to ask how he knew that if there were no witnesses and no camera footage.

He also told me that the owner wanted to talk to me and promptly called the owner on the phone (who was not onsite). The owner, reiterated that he was sorry to see that my car was involved in a hit and run; and that they had reviewed camera footage which did not show how or what had happened, and out of what he called courtesy he offered to pay the deductible for my insurance. I thanked him and told him I needed to talk to my insurance to see what the next steps were and to file a police report.

I called the police and reported the hit and run and was provided with instructions on what to do and was given a file number. I followed that up with calling the insurance company and reported the same details for the incident.

Next day, I called the headpro and told him that I needed a question answered for the police report. He said to ask him anything and he would any any question. When I asked the headpro how he knew when my car was hit if there was no camera footage, he said I should talk to the owner. I told him that the owner was not on the course the day before as I had spoken to him over the phone and the headpro had given me the estimated accident timeline and therefore he should know. After hesitating he insisted on putting me on the phone with the owner, who he now claimed was at the course at the time of accident but had to leave due to other commitments. When I asked the owner the same question, he hesitantly told me that someone had witnessed “an incident”.

I asked for contact information of the witness and was told by the owner that they did not ask for it! I found this surprising and asked why they did not record the witness contact information.

I followed that up by asking if my car had been hit with a golf cart. The golf course owner confirmed that this was the case. Golf course did not disclose any of this information the previous day! Had I not asked they would likely not have told me. When I later confronted the owner with this, he said he “thought” the headpro had told me this fact and that there was a misunderstanding.

The owner then told me that they think they know who was responsible based on what he called “information that we have been able to piece together”. I followed that up by asking for information on the golfer who had rented the cart as golf courses always record golf cart number and information on the renter. The owner agreed to provide the information and within an hour the headpro texted me a tee sheet screen capture with a name or a person who had a tee time of 8:20AM and suggested to the best of his knowledge this is the person, but they could not be sure. When I asked for a picture of the damaged cart I was told the cart had no damage at all which I do not believe based on the extent of damage to my car. I was also told that not all their carts have numbers, and therefore cannot positively link the damage to the person whose name they gave me. They had found an abandoned cart in their lot and thought it belonged to the person who hit my car.
    The owner said that they tried to contact the suspected individual and the phone number was not valid and emails were left unanswered. However police was able to contact the person on the phone and to no surprise he denied having been involved in the accident.

The owner and I spoke on the phone once and I told him I was disappointed that the course could not positively identify who had hit my car, and that unless they can do so, they are liable for damages. Further I told him that from my vantage point the course hid information from me. And that from the angle and location my car was hit and the damages, it would appear that the person operating the cart was drunk and was trying to leave the course. He said that his car had been in a hit and run at Canadian Tire center and was told nothing could be done since it was a public parking lot. And that I should not speculate on the state of the person who had hit my car as neither of us was there. I told him that Stittsville golf course was private property belonging to him and that the golf cart that hit my car was also private property belonging to him. I also told him that my car would forever be branded as accidented and its resale value would be lower and that I would hold the course responsible should they not be able to identify the suspect.

Two days later, thinking that would be no more information forthcoming solving this case or moving it further I contact the owner and said after speaking to my wife I would take him up on the offer of paying for the $500 deductible and he agreed to do so once I provided a bill.

However, 2 days later one of the golfers in my group contacted me to let me know that he had found the witness to the accident. My fellow golfer had ran into a co-worker while golfing on May 17th 2020 (Day of accident) and said hello to him. On May 21st 2020, he ran into the same co-worker at their place of employment. While chatting, my friend mentioned that my vehicle had been involved in a hit and run at the golf course.

To his surprise his co-worker told him that he was there alongside a friend of his when the accident happened and they witnessed it. Additionally, the co-worker’s friend, was the person who actually called the clubhouse and reported the accident.
    The co-worker’s friend was asked by the person at the clubhouse to come in and describe the person (which the owner had identified as himself) who was responsible. He walked over to the clubhouse and outside the side doors of the clubhouse he described the incident to a person working at the golf course. He also gave a description of 2 drunk young men between 25-30 years old; with one person wearing a Hawaiian print sleeveless shirt who was the driver.

Although I asked the owner of the golf course if he had a witness, all I was told by him was that there was a witness who called to report the incident. And that he had not left any contact information, or description. The golf course was once again not forthcoming.

When speaking to the owner previously, I told the owner that by the damage to my car and the fact that my car was in a corner spot next to the East exit of the course, it could only suggest that the driver of the cart was impaired and was trying to leave the course on cart. The owner told me not to speculate as we don’t know this for a fact, having full knowledge that I had presumed correctly as he spoke to the witness in person who had basically told him the same thing.

The witness told the owner that the two individuals who had hit my car appeared intoxicated and that the force of hitting my vehicle was hard enough that their beer cans as well as a shoe off of one cart occupant had been thrown out of the cart and under my car. The individuals on the cart were in fact trying to leave the course using their cart and did so after hitting my car. They circled back and entered the course from the West entrance and shortly thereafter left the course in their cars.

I have full police statements from the two witnesses as well as all my fellow golfers who have given their account of the state of the course that day...
    Proud member of the 2009 Ryder Cup winning team

4 Iron SecondChance is on a distinguished road
    Without any video evidence it would be hard to convict the guy based on just the witness statement especially there was no information on the involved cart. It would be a no-fault found case and the insurance will pay out. Why the owner was not more forthcoming is puzzling, unless they were serving this highly drunk person and could be found liable.

My daughter was involved in a parking lot hit and run a few years ago. Even with the info from the witness who recorded the phone number on the business truck that hit her car, the driver was not convicted as he claimed he didn't know that he has ripped my daughter's car fender off and damaged the front wheel. I don't know how he didn't know that. My insurance paid for the damage and called it a No-fault found case.
    Last edited by SecondChance; 06-23-2020 at 03:24 PM.

Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road
    Yeah that sucks. Removing the emotion and looking at this through the lens of probability I’d take the offer of deductible payment; probably the best you will do. It sucks. This course sounds like it is completely out of control.

Caddy Gofish2 is on a distinguished road Gofish2's Avatar
    Agree that the owner should have been more forthcoming but would be difficult to prove negligence on his part. Many years ago I got backed into at the Standish Hall and the driver took off. Witness took his licence number and left a note on my windshield. I called Hull police and they tracked down owner of car and called him. Told him they would lay criminal charges if he didn't compensate me for the damage. Within 48 hours I had cash in hand. Different days but no need to lawyer up

Monday Qualifier 314314 is on a distinguished road
    I don't think the club was trying to hide information but to compensate you for your troubles. Insurance should be able to cover this without fault. - Nice car!

Hybrid jimmyc is on a distinguished road
    As a member of the course I can say you are 1 - being overly dramatic and 2 - inventing things. There is no drunkenness on the course. That is just you trying to paint a picture. The staff are top notch. The pro more so. I get that you are mad and emotional but you come off as a child selling a narrative rather than facts.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Jimmy, can I ask why he would make up the story of people jumping into the pond? And the fact he has friends to corroborate his story. I have met Reza before, he is an upfront, good guy. I have no reason to doubt his story.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

I am more so taking exception to the gernalization that the course is drunkenness. I have never in 4 years a member seen anything at all resembling his story. I see more so emotional reaction than fact. I have many many reasons to doubt his story. 100+ rounds a year there and never saw anything like this. Add in I was at the course during this time frame and saw nobody at all drunk.

Being a member, I can see you wanting to speak up and defend your course and staff. And in general, my past experiences there have been positive. And although you say you were at the course during the same time, did you park in the area where Reza did? We’re you waiting behind Reza’s group and saw what they saw? Defend the course, if you want to, but I wouldn’t question someone’s account of events without having been there with him.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

And I don’t think he was insinuating that the course is a drunken funhouse. Just on that particular day, things weren’t the norm. People are behaving oddly, in odd times.

Perhaps. To drag the course down which is entirely his intent is unfair. I am not saying he is a bad person, just acting our of emotion rather than fact. He is absolutely trying to paint a picture of people getting drunk both on course and in the parking lot. This is a fabrication. Ive tried having 1 single beer in the car park. Didnt go well.

Fairway Junkie Michael is on a distinguished road
    I don't believe his intent was to drag the course down, you are missing the point and trying to defend the course and your membership, which is all fine. He has witnesses that have seen the people jump into the pond, why would he make that up. And you cannot deny the dent in the car.

Jimmy I have written witness statement from 8 people stating all of the facts I have written here. All of them. There is no exaggeration. Everything I have stated is exact fact. I have made no generalizations. I stated facts for that afternoon only.

I have stated what happened to me and what the environment was like on that particular afternoon. Two of the 7 I played with are members of this site and can attest to the events.
    Last edited by rezadue; 06-26-2020 at 01:18 AM.

Putter GarfieldJohn is on a distinguished road
    Just wanted to voice my support of the head pro at Stittsville. I am not a Club member but know the head pro and can attest to his good character, hard work and commitment to all golf clients. Just give the facts and not insinuate about people’s motives and slam their integrity.

Welcome to the forum JohnGarfield and glad to hear that. Can you please point to the statement in which I have "insinuated and slammed integrity"? I have made sure not to provide my opinion and just stated the chronological order of events and facts.

Quote Originally Posted by GarfieldJohn View Post
    Just wanted to voice my support of the head pro at Stittsville. I am not a Club member but know the head pro and can attest to his good character, hard work and commitment to all golf clients. Just give the facts and not insinuate about people’s motives and slam their integrity.
    Last edited by rezadue; 06-26-2020 at 09:22 AM.

What did you hope to accomplish with the post if not to drag down the course or staff or both? You say you have filled a police report. What purpose does this serve then?

Own it. You are not asking for witnesses. You are not soliciting any assistance. This is just you wanting some retribution for feeling wronged.

I would be equally pissed off but would deal with the course and police directly not come to a public place and attempt to slander a course for the alleged incident.

Definition of SLANDER : "the action or crime of making a false spoken statement damaging to a person's reputation"

Definition of ALLEGED: "(of an incident or a person) said, without proof, to have taken place or to have a specified illegal or undesirable quality."

there are no false spoken statements here. Only the account of what happened.
    and it is not alleged, as it is a fact. With proof.

You need to make sure the statements you are making are correct before suggesting I have "slandered" anyone about an "alleged" event....

I believe this subforum is titled Local stuff. and I have provided my account of what happened at a local golf course. And it seems like I am entitled to that. So if you find it upsetting, please feel free to not contribute to this post and thereby do not help keep it at the top of active threads in this subforum.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyc View Post
    What did you hope to accomplish with the post if not to drag down the course or staff or both? You say you have filled a police report. What purpose does this serve then?

Own it. You are not asking for witnesses. You are not soliciting any assistance. This is just you wanting some retribution for feeling wronged.

I would be equally pissed off but would deal with the course and police directly not come to a public place and attempt to slander a course for the alleged incident.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar

I'd bet you'd feel different if it were your car. The course flat out lied to him about his car being hit and what they knew about who hit it, were over serving their customers and not doing anything to clear people (drinking and socializing) out of the parking lot post round (1 day after courses opened).

If that is the type of business you want to support, go nuts but suffice it to say I will never play there again.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

oh, and by the say, it's libel, not slander. Libel is for written word, slander is for spoken word.

Good point Jeff. Definition of LIBEL: "a published false statement that is damaging to a person's reputation; a written defamation."

And this doesn't apply either as there are no false statements in my account.

Perhaps. To drag the course down which is entirely his intent is unfair. I am not saying he is a bad person, just acting our of emotion rather than fact. He is absolutely trying to paint a picture of people getting drunk both on course and in the parking lot. This is a fabrication. Ive tried having 1 single beer in the car park. Didnt go well.
    And what facts do you have? You weren’t there. Lots of people drinking, tailgating, guy doing a burnout leaving the course, two drunk guys jumping in the pond shirtless. Ya we’re making this all up

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    I was there the day off , it was a gong show to say the least , I've never seen drunken behavior like it on a course .
    It was the first weekend after the covid restrictions being loosened and it was not being dealt with by the course or management.
    Plain & simple, I won't be back , which sucks because I genuinely like the course
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Scratch Player Gobble_It is on a distinguished road Gobble_It's Avatar
    I have been playing there over the years and I have not witnessed any shenanigans/drunkenness on and off the course. Perhaps it was an extreme odd day after the lock-down and everyone was excited.

I'm not sure if you have any evidence that the staff was actually over-serving the customers on the premise ? Who knows those idiots could have brought their own liquor in.

As for the accident, it was unfortunate. I do believe the stories on both sides . However I do truly believe that the owner/HP didn't have anything to hide since they don't have any material evidence to state or point to the offender even with the witness's report.

I hope the police will nail this guy but I doubt it. Without surveillance camera and also the "involved golf cart", it will be tough to charge anyone.

Could the staff have done better ? Sure they can and I hope this is their lesson learned.

Quote Originally Posted by Gobble_It View Post
    I have been playing there over the years and I have not witnessed any shenanigans/drunkenness on and off the course. Perhaps it was an extreme odd day after the lock-down and everyone was excited.

I'm not sure if you have any evidence that the staff was actually over-serving the customers on the premise ? Who knows those idiots could have brought their own liquor in.

As for the accident, it was unfortunate. I do believe the stories on both sides . However I do truly believe that the owner/HP didn't have anything to hide since they don't have any material evidence to state or point to the offender even with the witness's report.

I hope the police will nail this guy but I doubt it. Without surveillance camera and also the "involved golf cart", it will be tough to charge anyone.

Could the staff have done better ? Sure they can and I hope this is their lesson learned.
    Why lie then multiple times? They had two possible reasons. They either knew the person and wanted to protect him or feared for their liquor license (or both)

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    Ditto

Putter Lavi25 is on a distinguished road
    I have played Stittsville two times. Within those two times, I have witnessed a staff member go out and break up a group having parking lot pints. That's batting 50%.

Golf Nut justdoit is on a distinguished road justdoit's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavi25 View Post
    I have played Stittsville two times. Within those two times, I have witnessed a staff member go out and break up a group having parking lot pints. That's batting 50%.
    Really wonder these days if is drinking or golfing that matters..and to think these drunks are getting into their cars and onto the roads..pathetic

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justdoit View Post
    Really wonder these days if is drinking or golfing that matters..and to think these drunks are getting into their cars and onto the roads..pathetic
    I have said many times...if I were a traffic police officer I'd park outside a golf course once a week. Drinking and Driving is a real concern.

Thread Information