100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    9 Iron Jason Moreau is on a distinguished road Jason Moreau's Avatar

Loch March or Stonebrige today?

I'll be goin to out at around 2 30- 3 00 to play either Loch March or Stonebrige. Which one should I go play? And how the conditions of the course. Haven't played either of them yet this year

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Greens - definitely Loch March. Way more consistent, much less severe and millions fewer ball marks.

Fairways - about even with a very slight edge to Stonebridge for layout. Conditioning is a dead heat.

Rough - You get in to a bit less trouble when you miss the fairway at Loch March. The fescue at SB can beat you up.

Service - Loch March for me. The staff is friendlier and the girls that work the proshop and carts are great to look at too. (Thank god my wife doesn't read this forum )

Loch March for my money, with SB a close second. Have fun.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Barnie
    I gotta go the opposite.. Stonebridge is ten times the course the Loch is. Loch March in my opinion is way overrated. The only problem I had with Stonebridge was the greens were a little to slow for such a nice track however I like greens that are nice and slick.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnie
    I gotta go the opposite.. Stonebridge is ten times the course the Loch is. Loch March in my opinion is way overrated. The only problem I had with Stonebridge was the greens were a little to slow for such a nice track however I like greens that are nice and slick.
    Went and played stonebridge, it was in decent shape. The greens a lil slow like you said but had a good day out on the course. I just moved to the Nepean, "Algonquin College Area" I usta live out By Casselview. But next year I might or might not buy a membership at Stonebridge, but that's yet to be debated. I'm kinda sick and tired of playing the normal courses... Played them too often as a Junior now.
    I love the bent grass!!!

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    Have you played Eagle or Packenham? Both have great greens.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfpeasant
    Have you played Eagle or Packenham? Both have great greens.

I've played Eagle Creek lastyear, planing on getting out there within the next coupld of weeks. Haven't played Packenham.

Barnie
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Moreau
    Went and played stonebridge, it was in decent shape. The greens a lil slow like you said but had a good day out on the course. I just moved to the Nepean, "Algonquin College Area" I usta live out By Casselview. But next year I might or might not buy a membership at Stonebridge, but that's yet to be debated. I'm kinda sick and tired of playing the normal courses... Played them too often as a Junior now.
    I love the bent grass!!!
    Yeah I'm not sure why they don't speed the greens up. I've only played it once so I can't compare it to other years but from what I hear they generally aren't that quick. The bent grass is definitely sweet, as well as the fescue mixed with trees and water. I've been thinking on a membership there next year as well. Getting tired of playing what's on the Corporate Card. I seem to play better golf at the nicer courses.

I seem to play better golf at the nicer courses.
    Yea same here, when you pay that much money you really want to take advantage of the course.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Yeah I'm not sure why they don't speed the greens up. I've only played it once so I can't compare it to other years but from what I hear they generally aren't that quick.
    While they greens at SB aren't what I call slow, they are certainly a lot slower this year than in the past.

For the first couple of years they had them hard and fast, which I actually prefer as well, however the average golfer just can't handle that setup with easy greens. Factor in the undulations and multiple tiers at SB and you get unhappy golfers so they have slowed them down quite a bit.

I don't know if it's because of the heat, but I also get the impression that they are keeping the greens very well watered this year as well. This will slow them down too. It also means it's very easy to create ball marks, which seems to be an epidemic at SB this year.

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent
    While they greens at SB aren't what I call slow, they are certainly a lot slower this year than in the past.

For the first couple of years they had them hard and fast, which I actually prefer as well, however the average golfer just can't handle that setup with easy greens. Factor in the undulations and multiple tiers at SB and you get unhappy golfers so they have slowed them down quite a bit.

I don't know if it's because of the heat, but I also get the impression that they are keeping the greens very well watered this year as well. This will slow them down too. It also means it's very easy to create ball marks, which seems to be an epidemic at SB this year.
    Yea speaking about watering down the green. I was actually speaking about that with my golf partner yesterday. The greens were really soft even late in the day. I was getting alot of spin from them yesteday. The Shot of the day was on East 6 par 3 175 from Diamond's "Always have to play the tips" hit a 5 iron just flew it past the pin and had it suck back about an inch to leave me a 3 footer for birdie. I LOVE GOLF. When you get spin off a 5 iron the greens have to be soft!

My fav hole is the 9th on the east. Nice little par 5 @ 489. Because of the Greens shape it's really hard to hit in 2 specially with the elevated green with bunkers on the left and water in the back. I hit driver, 3 iron and thought I was perfect but found out after I drove up to find my ball sitting about 10 feet off the back center of the green. Because of the tight pin position thought I'd flop it up, but that didn't go to plan. Made bogey on the last hole. Almost brought a tear to my eye.

Thread Information