100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Caddy beefstuf is on a distinguished road beefstuf's Avatar

Etiquette Thread

Has there been an ettiquette thread lately? This area really angers me espcially when I play on a course that players should know better; Eagle Creek, Hunt Club, Le Diable, etc. Anyways I am tired of seeing ppl not take the time to either fix a divot, rake a bunker, take the right club when the cart path cannot go on the fairway and worst of all....repair the damn ball mark. Oh ya and let me play through....a sinlge behind a foursome....hmmmm

Time and time again I find myself getting on a green and fixing at least a half a dozen ball marks. Now I am not a big complainer, but this is a sore spot. I do have the remedy I believe they used to enforce this in France. Etiquette training.

People should be forced to take a certification in etiquette. Their lack of care, or laziness is costing the courses a lot of money and me a lot of strokes(which is the most important). My father taught me etiquette a long time ago. It does not take long to learn.....

As the game of golf is getting more and more popular people are becoming more and more ignorant. Just read a book, take a course, or read a blog on how you should act on a golf course. I guess I am a traditionalist; always tucked in, always repair ball marks, divots etc. Just take the time to respect the course you are playing.

Just needed to vent.....thanks for listening

Justin

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    actually, I was quite surprised by the number of ball marks I found at Hunt Club last week. I'm only talking 2-3 per green but some of them were very noticeable and for a course in that good of shape and especially since it is private, you would think that there would not be a single one. To me it's inexcuseable.

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    Unfortunately you are preaching to the choir. I would say the overwhelming majority of people who post on here, rake bunkers, replace divots, fix ball marks, etc etc.

The only way to get the message across to those who don't is to keep doing it yourself when in the company of people new to the game (and those who should know better) and show them how easy and quick it is to do, thereby setting a good example, that hopefully they will follow. Insisting it is done only leads to the "I payed my 50 bucks so I can do what I want" attitude.

And there are also those "special cases" who drop litter, spit gum onto sidewalks, and don't tidy up after themselves without a second thought. They are a lost cause.

Quote Originally Posted by beefstuf

Just needed to vent.....thanks for listening

Justin
    I was merely venting some frustration. I do not want to change the world and its ways I only want people to hear my cries.

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    I was merely venting some frustration. I do not want to change the world and its ways I only want people to hear my cries.
    Yeah I know the feeling, I think I needed to vent too

Fairway Junkie sharkshooter is on a distinguished road sharkshooter's Avatar
    ....a sinlge behind a foursome....
    Well, as a single behind a foursome, the less time they take raking bunkers and fixing divots, the less time you will have to wait. Besides, you should have lots of time on your hands to do it for them.

I have given up expecting etiquette from those in front of me, and, like already mentioned, try to enlighten those I am with.

Shotmaker spidey is on a distinguished road spidey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkshooter
    I have given up expecting etiquette from those in front of me
    What a sad commentary on the "civilized society" that we live in. We are so pathetic that we have even given up hope on those people who purport to play a game entrenched in gentlemanly etiquette.

I think there are some basic rules that should never be broken. I think that any non-members at a club should be given a sheet or a rundown by the starter that reminds them of these simple things. (And I've known some members who could use a copy too.)

1 - Please be quiet while someone is shooting. Even if the player is not in your foursome, he deserves your quiet if he's within normal earshot.

2 - It is expected that you not interfere with other players line of play, especially on the green. Step around it or ask.

3 - If a full hole (or even most of a par 5) is open ahead of you, please wave the following group through.

4 - Be polite to anybody you meet on the course. Bad Karma has a way of coming back on you.

5 - Leave the course as you found it or better.

6 - Fivesomes, steel spikes, personal beer/alcohol, skidding golf carts, driving carts on or near greens and tees, ball hawking, walking carts onto greens, driving over ropes, throwing clubs, searching for balls for longer than 5 minutes, rowdy or belligerent or boorish behaviour are all sufficient grounds to have you expelled from the course.

7 - Having fun means everybody, not just you having fun at everybody else's expense.

So, have fun and be the reason everybody else is having an enjoyable game.
    [color=blue]s[/color][color=red]p[/color][color=blue]i[/color][color=red]d[/color][color=blue]e[/color][color=red]y[/color]

[color=seagreen]"Got more dirt than ball. Here we go again."
    Alan Shepard, Apollo 14 Commander, Amateur-Golfer, preparing to take another swing during his famous moon walk in 1971.
    [/color]

Very well said.

I might agree with everything you said, spidey, if I knew what "ball hawking" was.

If you find a ball in the area that you believe you balls and it is not yours. But you just decided to take it. That is ball hawking. If you are in the bush browsing then you are not hawking, but if the ball is between fairways on a busy day then.....leave it.

I like shopping the rough at Eagle Creek. The mentality is great though, you find Prov1's, Nike One, up until hole 13 or so then it is Top Flite, X-Out, etc....quite funny.

Ah, yes. I think I have been the victim on occasion. Partly my fault for not being in the fairway, but, really now, people, if you cannot afford to buy your own golf balls ...

It's no big deal if you don't know what ball hawking is; if you were a ball hawk, you'd know.

Ball hawking is wasting time hunting for balls when you should be playing. I suppose anybody who collects balls without wasting time is actually just an opportunist.
    [color=blue]s[/color][color=red]p[/color][color=blue]i[/color][color=red]d[/color][color=blue]e[/color][color=red]y[/color]

Alan Shepard, Apollo 14 Commander, Amateur-Golfer, preparing to take another swing during his famous moon walk in 1971.
    [/color]

I guess I am a ball hawk. But I never make ppl wait at the tee. I only hawk when I have time to do so.

Andru
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO not this thread again!!!

Barnie
    Too be honest from what I've seen the courses aren't in bad shape from people not fixing ball marks.. You find some here and there but that will never change.. I think for the most part people are fairly decent at fixing them. Much better than raking sand traps and when I say "raking sand traps" I don't just mean plop the rake down and make some half assed attempt and smoothing it out. For the most part over all people are pretty good about course maintenance I think. It's the slow people that piss me off.

1 Iron Tanglegrip is on a distinguished road Tanglegrip's Avatar

Fixing divots?

I agree with all of the above and will usually fix two or three ball marks on a green in the rare occasion when I'm on in regulation and waiting for other members to get on. It's good karma and takes my mind off my miserable putting.

Question, last week at Stonebridge one of the marshals advised a FC in our group not to bother fixing his divot on the fairway. The explanation was that they would prefer the lawnmower to chew up the grass and they fill the divot with a sand/seed mixture. I did notice that a number of replaced divots were not growing.

Up to now I've always fixed my divots, but I'm wondering if I should. What is the correct procedure?

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanglegrip
    I agree with all of the above and will usually fix two or three ball marks on a green in the rare occasion when I'm on in regulation and waiting for other members to get on. It's good karma and takes my mind off my miserable putting.

Question, last week at Stonebridge one of the marshals advised a FC in our group not to bother fixing his divot on the fairway. The explanation was that they would prefer the lawnmower to chew up the grass and they fill the divot with a sand/seed mixture. I did notice that a number of replaced divots were not growing.

Up to now I've always fixed my divots, but I'm wondering if I should. What is the correct procedure?
    I too have had this question lately. I have noticed that most replaced divots dry up and die. My course gives out little bottles with sand/seed and thats whats most people use. Since I carry I don't bother but I do replace my divots and wonder if it i the right thing to do. Any greens keepers out there?

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar
    What pisses me off is the fact that they know about fixing ball marks!

They just dont do it! No excuse when you have 20 divot tools in your bag.
    And last but not least,ciggarette buts on the green(thats right,on THE green)
    I see it all the time.
    These are the same people that complain when the greens are not perfect!
    [font=Impact]Dirty...Mean...And Mighty Unclean.[/font]

Out of Bounds chipandput is on a distinguished road chipandput's Avatar

GolfEtiquette

What piss me off is when some players don't mark there ball while they wait for players who are away to play.

"Richard"
    I get upset when the grounds keepers run their motors while I'm playing. most of the times they turn them off if they are close but sometimes they don't and its really annoying. Other times you see the cart girl riping around the course and she is in your view so you pretty much either have to shoot with her hanging out on the cart path in the corner of your eye or you have to wait 20 seconds and let her through and go through your routine again. It doesn't take much to get me off my game and don't put up with much. I have a friend who has been playing for such a long time and durring my putt he will ask me what I'm shooting... He has a score card and is keeping his own score and i have my own score card and am keeping my own score so why does it matter anyway? I always tell him my score at the next tee box anyway because while walking to the next hole i always recount.

What else bugs me on a course? A foursome who have finnished putting and are taking their time putting the flag back in and standing on the green counting their scores up and writting them down. One time i asked them to get off the green and count their strokes and they tried to pick a fight.

Finally, cell phones... I hate cell phones on a golf course. I have been on the green and heard phones ring, i have heard people at the next tee box stop everything to answer their phone and when I finnish putting and walk over the guy is standing there with a driver in his hand, ball teed up and he is talking on the phone... so i wait.

I could write and write and write about this but I am tired. maybe tomorrow.

PS..

http://calgary.cbc.ca/regional/servlet/View?filename=ca-golf-rage20050712

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by chipandput
    What piss me off is when some players don't mark there ball while they wait for players who are away to play.
    What, mark period, or mark balls that are in line? I know when I'm playing with buddies, not marking is faster, and we only mark balls that'll potentially interfere.

I find the reverse annoying: people who putt, they're left with a 2 footer, and they mark and back off til everyone else putts...now thats annoying.

Marking the ball

Hey! Don't get me wrong. Im talking about balls that are not marked and in the field of vision of the player putting.
    B.T.W Im finishing my 2 footers and so are the guys I play with, cause we play fast while respecting each other and the rules and etiquette.

QUOTE=Golfpeasant]What, mark period, or mark balls that are in line? I know when I'm playing with buddies, not marking is faster, and we only mark balls that'll potentially interfere.

I find the reverse annoying: people who putt, they're left with a 2 footer, and they mark and back off til everyone else putts...now thats annoying.[/QUOTE]

Hey! Don't get me wrong. Im talking about balls that are not marked and in the field of vision of the player putting.
    I dont do this. I'll say "you want me to mark that" if I think bothers someone, or we establish it up front with strangers...but field of vision is a big area. For instance, a ball past the hole, and not in the "through line", I don't mark.

"Richard"
    Question, one of my friends marks his ball in the fairway, turns it and points the writting on the ball towards the flag so he can line up his iron shot. Is he allowed to do that. he says he is allowed to as long as he doesn't clean his ball. (since we are talkinga bout marking balls)

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    Question, one of my friends marks his ball in the fairway, turns it and points the writting on the ball towards the flag so he can line up his iron shot. Is he allowed to do that.
    No, he is not allowed to do that UNLESS his ball interferes with another players stroke and the other player asks him to mark it.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanglegrip

From what I have heard, once you break the grass at it's root, replacing the divot will not make the grass grow back. That is why the sand/seed is used. Clubs just want you to replace divots so no one will complain of getting that "bunker lie" in the middle of the fairway.

18-2. By Player, Partner, Caddie or Equipment
    a. General
    When a player’s ball is in play, if:

(i) the player, his partner or either of their caddies lifts or moves it, touches it purposely (except with a club in the act of addressing it) or causes it to move except as permitted by a Rule, or
    (ii) equipment of the player or his partner causes the ball to move,

the player incurs a penalty of one stroke. If the ball is moved, it must be replaced unless the movement of the ball occurs after the player has begun the stroke or the backward movement of the club for the stroke and the stroke is made.

Once the ball is in play, it cannot be touched until it reaches the green, except under a specific rule. There is no rule allowing re-orientation of a ball through the green.

[/color]

Etquette

No offense but I guess I would'n like to play with you cause I think that marking a ball is the less you can do. For me it becomes a routine( pick the ball, clean a little and putt when it's my turn)and I never waste any of my partner's time. Players that don't mark balls make me feel like they don't care for their partner's. It's only an opinion, you don't have to agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfpeasant
    I dont do this. I'll say "you want me to mark that" if I think bothers someone, or we establish it up front with strangers...but field of vision is a big area. For instance, a ball past the hole, and not in the "through line", I don't mark.

No offense but I guess I would'n like to play with you cause I think that marking a ball is the less you can do. For me it becomes a routine( pick the ball, clean a little and putt when it's my turn)and I never waste any of my partner's time. Players that don't mark balls make me feel like they don't care for their partner's. It's only an opinion, you don't have to agree.
    No, I don't. I guess you misread. I tend to play with people I know, so we know what we prefer. Since we don't get distracted by balls that are off at 45 degree angles and 6 feet from the putt line, we leave it. Yes, we clean if needed, but nothing frustrates me more than watch people who excessively mark and clean over and over, and THEN 3 and 4 putt.

If you're good, fine. But I also find that the players I play with who are scratch or a bit above don't get distracted easily.

If the ball is going to interfere, even if visualizing a sight line, I mark. If not, why bother?

If we were golfing, and I knew it bothered you, I'd mark it. If I didn't know, are you suggesting everyone marks their ball all the time? Thats a complete waste of time.

Maybe if you explained "field of vision" to me, you'd see that we don't disagree.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    I am with Golfpleasant completely on this one. It doesn't need to be done all the time especially if it isn't interfering with your putt. It's the little things that slow a round down and that's one of em. It's not bad golfers who make the day slow it's people who "think" they are good that slow everyone else down. Take one or two practice swings and step up and hit, be ready to hit when it's your turn and stop plumbobing greens for christs sakes!!!

Thread Information