100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    5 Wood rossigm is on a distinguished road rossigm's Avatar
    Message from Golf Québec, this morning (April 20th)

Dear golfers:

We hope you are in good physical health and that your spirits are holding up despite this global crisis. The arrival of the month of May coincides annually with the opening of all golf courses. Although the timing of this opening is unknown at this time, we are aware that golfers are excited to hit the fairways again. So, we believe it is time to give you some encouraging yet realistic news.

In the past few weeks, your Golf Industry Standing Committee has been working tirelessly to open golf courses in collaboration with the government and in compliance with government guidelines.

We are aware that the Québec government is very sensitive to the health and safety of all Quebecers. The golf industry is no exception. Consequently, our mobilization with the government is focused on finding various solutions that will comply with the guidelines of the Public Health Branch to ensure that golf courses open safely in Québec.

When the government allows the courses to open, we will obviously count on the cooperation of all golfers, without exception, to respect the new policies that will be put in place. It will be important to demonstrate that we are a united and accountable industry.

As you know, the practice of golf is full of mental and physical health benefits. The Standing Committee is convinced that it will be possible to comply with public health guidelines as golf is an individual sport that is easily played with a social distance of two metres.

If the good news is announced and that everyone makes an individual effort, it will be a lot easier to be responsible collectively. Of course, patience is very much appreciated in a situation that is as out of the ordinary as the one we have been living in for several weeks.

Rest assured that golf clubs are already actively working on preparing for the season with the safety and health of employees and all golfers as a priority. When the Québec government gives permission to open the courses, the clubs will be ready.

We are looking forward to seeing you on Québec's golf courses.

Your representatives of the Golf Industry Standing Committee

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    ClubLink also posted a very positive message. They are planning to open May 4th in Quebec and hopefully May12th in Ontario. These dates align with the end of the state of emergency for each province.

3 Wood MarcArt is on a distinguished road MarcArt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by em69 View Post
    ClubLink also posted a very positive message. They are planning to open May 4th in Quebec and hopefully May12th in Ontario. These dates align with the end of the state of emergency for each province.
    Wow, then my 'hope' that we might be golfing by May 9th could come true... fingers crossed!

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I don't disagree but if you have been self isolating for 14 days then you can head out, you just ave to be careful not og near the golfer who is not respectful of the precautions.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Administrator MikeRaganold is on a distinguished road MikeRaganold's Avatar
    ClubLink COVID-19 Update
    (copy of member letter received Mon 2020-04-20)

Dear Member,

We hope that you and your family are well and staying safe.

Thank you for staying home and being patient in these challenging times. Hopefully there will some better news soon and brighter days ahead.

We are grateful to frontline workers and their families, who continue to protect and serve us during these times. And to our employees who continue to prepare for the season ahead under unprecedented circumstances.

As you know, golf courses have been ordered closed by the Provincial Government due to our classification as a non-essential business. Our turf and other asset maintenance work is able to continue, but only the most essential work can be performed. All other employees continue to work remotely in preparation for the upcoming season.

As of today, the Provincial Government emergency orders are scheduled to be in place through May 4th in Quebec and May 12th in Ontario. We are planning to open some of our Clubs immediately thereafter, subject to any reduction or extension of the emergency orders.

In response to the ongoing COVID-19 threat, and to be prepared for operating in a changed world, we’ve developed a series of safety protocols within our new Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) to keep employees, Members and guests as safe as possible. There are too many details to cover here but some of the highlights include:

• Members and guests to arrive on property no earlier than 20 minutes prior to a pre-booked tee time
    • Clubhouse dining rooms will remain closed
    • Social distancing must be strictly upheld at all times
    • Payment for guests, carts, etc. only accepted on member accounts
    • Ball washers, benches and bunker rakes will be removed
    • Frequent cleaning and disinfecting of surfaces and equipment that golfers come in contact with

We will be sharing more details of our new SOP along with expectations for golfers as we get closer to opening.

Golf courses in other jurisdictions where courses are open, such as British Columbia, have successfully implemented new procedures. You may be aware that we closed our golf courses in Florida in mid-March out of an abundance of caution and prior to being told to do so, which afforded us the time to develop our new SOP. In the Tampa area, golf is still permitted, and last week we reopened Club Renaissance and Scepter using our new procedures. To date, we’ve had no issues with execution of the SOP and we are experiencing cooperation from Members as they know there is risk of being shut down if the rules are not followed.

The fluidity of this crisis represents a great challenge for all of us. We will continue to follow the guidance of government and health officials with respect to the precautionary protocols deemed necessary.

We are grateful for the support, feedback and questions from our community of Members. The original list of frequently asked questions (FAQ) has been updated and can be found on your Club website by clicking on the “My News” icon.

Sincerely,
    John Finlayson
    Chief Operating Officer
    ClubLink

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeRaganold View Post
    ClubLink COVID-19 Update
    (copy of member letter received Mon 2020-04-20)

Dear (ClubLink Member's name),

We hope that you and your family are well and staying safe.

Thank you for staying home and being patient in these challenging times. Hopefully there will some better news soon and brighter days ahead.

We are grateful to frontline workers and their families, who continue to protect and serve us during these times. And to our employees who continue to prepare for the season ahead under unprecedented circumstances.

As you know, golf courses have been ordered closed by the Provincial Government due to our classification as a non-essential business. Our turf and other asset maintenance work is able to continue, but only the most essential work can be performed. All other employees continue to work remotely in preparation for the upcoming season.

As of today, the Provincial Government emergency orders are scheduled to be in place through May 4th in Quebec and May 12th in Ontario. We are planning to open some of our Clubs immediately thereafter, subject to any reduction or extension of the emergency orders.

In response to the ongoing COVID-19 threat, and to be prepared for operating in a changed world, we’ve developed a series of safety protocols within our new Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) to keep employees, Members and guests as safe as possible. There are too many details to cover here but some of the highlights include:

• Members and guests to arrive on property no earlier than 20 minutes prior to a pre-booked tee time
    • Clubhouse dining rooms will remain closed
    • Social distancing must be strictly upheld at all times
    • Payment for guests, carts, etc. only accepted on member accounts
    • Ball washers, benches and bunker rakes will be removed
    • Frequent cleaning and disinfecting of surfaces and equipment that golfers come in contact with

We will be sharing more details of our new SOP along with expectations for golfers as we get closer to opening.

Golf courses in other jurisdictions where courses are open, such as British Columbia, have successfully implemented new procedures. You may be aware that we closed our golf courses in Florida in mid-March out of an abundance of caution and prior to being told to do so, which afforded us the time to develop our new SOP. In the Tampa area, golf is still permitted, and last week we reopened Club Renaissance and Scepter using our new procedures. To date, we’ve had no issues with execution of the SOP and we are experiencing cooperation from Members as they know there is risk of being shut down if the rules are not followed.

The fluidity of this crisis represents a great challenge for all of us. We will continue to follow the guidance of government and health officials with respect to the precautionary protocols deemed necessary.

We are grateful for the support, feedback and questions from our community of Members. The original list of frequently asked questions (FAQ) has been updated and can be found on your Club website by clicking on the “My News” icon.

Sincerely,
    John Finlayson
    Chief Operating Officer
    ClubLink
    I assume this is for Club Link courses only?
    Last edited by MikeRaganold; 04-21-2020 at 06:21 PM.

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
    I assume this is for Club Link courses only?
    The message is from the COO of ClubLink, but I have been reading messages from Nation Golf Club and they seem to indicate courses are coordinating efforts to open. If the province permits courses to open up after May 12th, then I suspect they will...if they are ready. I know the courses I play will be ready.

3 Wood Jasonreg is on a distinguished road
    Emerald Links / Anderson Links just sent around an email with a 15 May target opening:

"With the extension of a State of Emergency for Ontario through to May 12th, the 2020 golf season opener has been delayed. We are currently implementing protocols together with our golf partners (NGCOA Canada and Golf Canada) and have been working very closely to develop a clear plan for golf's return within a safe and healthy environment.

The courses have wintered well and are looking better every day and should be looking great for a hopeful opening on May 15, 2020. We look forward to seeing you back on the links!"

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    Here's a positive sign... Saskatchewan has included the opening of golf courses in phase 1 of it's 'Re-Open Saskatchewan' plan: https://globalnews.ca/news/6858118/s...rus-scott-moe/
    Twitter: @mfarquharson73

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    I just caught the end of an ad on the radio , saying that the golf courses are planning to open May 15th (covid updates on live 88.5)
    Is this hopeful thinking or confirmed , anyone know ?
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilster View Post
    I just caught the end of an ad on the radio , saying that the golf courses are planning to open May 15th (covid updates on live 88.5)
    Is this hopeful thinking or confirmed , anyone know ?
    In Saskatchewan
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Sand Wedge White Light is on a distinguished road

Reopening

Just got a call from our DG at Le Sorcier. They are planning to open by mid-May.

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    In Saskatchewan
    Road trip , you're driving tho

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    See---this is the problem----there are notices coming out from all over. The courses are planning for mid May----WHAT DOES THE GOVERNMENT SAY ???? Of course the courses will talk---Club Link will talk---all that is doing is adding to the hype. I just listened to the forecast for Ontario and Quebec----with the numbers reporting; they are still high. From what I can gather the earliest anything will be relaxed will be the long weekend and I don't think golf courses are at the top of the list. JMHO
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    See---this is the problem----there are notices coming out from all over. The courses are planning for mid May----WHAT DOES THE GOVERNMENT SAY ???? Of course the courses will talk---Club Link will talk---all that is doing is adding to the hype. I just listened to the forecast for Ontario and Quebec----with the numbers reporting; they are still high. From what I can gather the earliest anything will be relaxed will be the long weekend and I don't think golf courses are at the top of the list. JMHO
    Nothing will happen until the government gives the ok. We can all speculate when that might be but we really don't know
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Fairway Junkie Michael is on a distinguished road
    In both Saskatchewan and New Brunswick they are mandating, along with the usual precautions, that tee times are to be separated by 20 minutes. If that extends for any length of time it will make it tough on some courses I believe.

The big problem I see is that there is no uniform plan in place to actually open golf courses; NATIONALLY. If courses open with 20 minute t-times---then there is only one result---closure. One person per cart---not enough carts to fill a normal t-sheet. Putting foam in the cups negates the object of the game----jimmies most of the time. 4 golfer per hole vs 2 per hole---this is a joke. First come first served for cart availability ??? What about handicapped seniors that can't walk a course but still enjoy the game ? It will be the WILD WILD WEST out there until government backed regulations can be put into place. Right as we speak different entities are making up their own rules to fit their particular requirements. Am I a downer---NO--I am a realist and most of all I DO hope the courses open with as close to normal as possible conditions. JMHO

Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road
    The big problem I see is that there is no uniform plan in place to actually open golf courses; NATIONALLY. If courses open with 20 minute t-times---then there is only one result---closure. One person per cart---not enough carts to fill a normal t-sheet. Putting foam in the cups negates the object of the game----jimmies most of the time. 4 golfer per hole vs 2 per hole---this is a joke. First come first served for cart availability ??? What about handicapped seniors that can't walk a course but still enjoy the game ? It will be the WILD WILD WEST out there until government backed regulations can be put into place. Right as we speak different entities are making up their own rules to fit their particular requirements. Am I a downer---NO--I am a realist and most of all I DO hope the courses open with as close to normal as possible conditions. JMHO
    I don’t see a need for a uniform plan, nor do I want the government any further involved than they need to be. Give us the basic parameters and let the clubs figure it out. I don’t see a need for a course in Ottawa to necessarily follow the same rules as a course in BC. Plus, there are so many variables at each course. Some lend themselves to 20 min tee times while others may not. We have had 10 min tee times for years, doesn’t bother me. We played a summer allowing fivesomes while the course was under renovation. We can adapt. I just want to play and am willing to do my part by showing up 10 mins before tee time, not using my locker, the back shop, shoe service, restaurant, bar, whatever. Just want to play. Let us start and we can show the government that it can work. We just need to police ourselves and others. Maybe this year that means no guests. Maybe it means no carts. Whatever, better then nothing if you ask me. But I don’t want to wait for the government to come up with uniform rules or we will be waiting till August to play as a single once every three weeks

At our course, the rules will be, according to our DG, to whom I spoke 2 days ago:

Show up no more than 15 min. before tee time.
    One tee time every 10 min.
    Up to 4 carts per hole (we have enough carts).
    Cannot store clubs at the premise.
    Have to handle your bag by yourself.
    No restaurant, bar, lockers, showers, etc.
    Have to wash your hands coming in and going out.
    No ball washers, garbage cans.

1 Iron Bouboude is on a distinguished road
    White Light all the rules look ok to me except the no garbage cans. If no cans people will toss stuff in the woods.

Caddy Gofish2 is on a distinguished road Gofish2's Avatar
    Maybe for a short time we could stop being slobs

Golf Nut justdoit is on a distinguished road justdoit's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bouboude View Post
    White Light all the rules look ok to me except the no garbage cans. If no cans people will toss they stuff in the woods.
    they do that now with garbage cans..pretty sad

3 Wood Jasonreg is on a distinguished road
    It's like they were saying a few weeks ago - "Now that we have everyone washing their hands, we can now work on Turn-Signals". Anyone who throws a beer can (or whatever) in the woods will still do that post COVID.....you just can't teach stupid......

I think there will be garbage bags in carts. At our club cars are required.

Pitching Wedge Budapest is on a distinguished road
    If governments are still allowing public transit, with all the risks of contact and crowds, golfing outside with distancing should not be a big deal. I keep reading mor and more just the fact that you’re outside poses little risk.

Why can't carts be outfitted with plexiglass dividers like the shields in grocery stores etc. Then you could allow 2 person per cart. This way course won't suffer a huge loss. 10 minute t-times-no problem---no garbage cans---who thought up that---just move them away from immediate area. No ball washer--no problem. Showing up 15 minutes prior ???? 2 folks arriving in same vehicle can share a cart. No rakes---no problem. Lets hope the powers that be will use some common sense here and the regulations will be uniform across the province or the country for that matter. When it comes to solutions for things like this --referring to JohnnyC---he is partially right in saying the more people making the decisions---the more problems. The US has 50 states trying to decide on something and look at the mess---we have 12 districts and seem to be doing a lot better AND we are following the lead of the scientists and doctors----not politicians. Perhaps it may be time to actually listen to the experts--in ALL FIELDS. It's too bad we all have to learn the hard way but the major problems that have come to light have been with us for years-------------someone just was not listening or chose to ignore the basic facts.
    HELL---the folks that have suffered the most are the 65% of deaths were our parents in long term homes etc.-------------do you think that was acceptable ? I don't have the answers and I am sure most of our elected politicians don't have the answers---nor are they capable of coming up with a viable plan. The money they are throwing out there-------------where is it coming from and who will pay it back ? This may appease people today but what about the long term. If this money is available now-------------WHY WAS IT NOT MADE AVAILABLE YEARS AGO TO ALLEVIATE NURSING/HOME CARE PROBLEMS ?? It was ignored or deemed not priority !
    MODERATORS---I realize that this forum was not to be political but one thing runs into another to make a point. I can't see a better way for folks to interact at this time. This forum used to be HUGE---now is the time to bring it back to the forefront and maybe, just maybe we can come up with some viable solutions
    This is not an OTTAWA golf problem---this is a WORLD problem. Do you think we can take the lead ?

Administrator MikeRaganold is on a distinguished road MikeRaganold's Avatar

Post The Great Divide - public reacts to golf courses allowed open

12,500+ thread views from around the world since MAR 15, 2020.

More interesting reads, observations, opinions and more...

THE GREAT DIVIDE
    Closed beaches, parks and recreation areas... golf courses are still able to carry on with life as usual with only minor inconveniences.

Check this from Hilton Head Island, posted Apr 26...
    https://www.islandpacket.com/news/bu...242203711.html

A banner ad displays "Stay home and stay safe" while the town’s most recent post is a video of a town council member explaining how to play golf safely during the pandemic...

“No beach walks but golfing is allowed? one local wrote on Facebook. “This just pours salt in our wounds over the beach decision,” she said.

“This is a disgrace and a travesty,” another Hilton Head resident. “How dare you encourage this behavior? None of you...not ONE represents this island and US...the ones (whose) families have been here since before the town charter. You’re failing us.”

Check this from Hilton Head Island, posted Apr 26...
    https://www.islandpacket.com/news/bu...242203711.html

[MODERATORS---I realize that this forum was not to be political but one thing runs into another to make a point. I can't see a better way for folks to interact at this time. This forum used to be HUGE---now is the time to bring it back to the forefront and maybe, just maybe we can come up with some viable solutions
    This is not an OTTAWA golf problem---this is a WORLD problem. Do you think we can take the lead ?]

Golf Nut justdoit is on a distinguished road justdoit's Avatar
    Why can't carts be outfitted with plexiglass dividers like the shields in grocery stores etc. Then you could allow 2 person per cart. This way course won't suffer a huge loss. 10 minute t-times-no problem---no garbage cans---who thought up that---just move them away from immediate area. No ball washer--no problem. Showing up 15 minutes prior ???? 2 folks arriving in same vehicle can share a cart. No rakes---no problem. Lets hope the powers that be will use some common sense here and the regulations will be uniform across the province or the country for that matter. When it comes to solutions for things like this --referring to JohnnyC---he is partially right in saying the more people making the decisions---the more problems. The US has 50 states trying to decide on something and look at the mess---we have 12 districts and seem to be doing a lot better AND we are following the lead of the scientists and doctors----not politicians. Perhaps it may be time to actually listen to the experts--in ALL FIELDS. It's too bad we all have to learn the hard way but the major problems that have come to light have been with us for years-------------someone just was not listening or chose to ignore the basic facts.
    HELL---the folks that have suffered the most are the 65% of deaths were our parents in long term homes etc.-------------do you think that was acceptable ? I don't have the answers and I am sure most of our elected politicians don't have the answers---nor are they capable of coming up with a viable plan. The money they are throwing out there-------------where is it coming from and who will pay it back ? This may appease people today but what about the long term. If this money is available now-------------WHY WAS IT NOT MADE AVAILABLE YEARS AGO TO ALLEVIATE NURSING/HOME CARE PROBLEMS ?? It was ignored or deemed not priority !
    MODERATORS---I realize that this forum was not to be political but one thing runs into another to make a point. I can't see a better way for folks to interact at this time. This forum used to be HUGE---now is the time to bring it back to the forefront and maybe, just maybe we can come up with some viable solutions
    This is not an OTTAWA golf problem---this is a WORLD problem. Do you think we can take the lead ?
    very well said

Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by justdoit View Post
    very well said
    The honest answer as to why the long term care facilities weren’t addressed earlier; there is only so much money to go around. The tax base is only so big. We can greatly improve the long term care facilities. We can regulate. We can end hallway patients. We can give teachers a 3% salary increase. We can subsidize day care. We can make college and university tuition free.....but it all comes at a price. Not saying I agree or disagree but that’s what it amounts to. It all sounds great until you see an extra 10% coming off each Paycheck. Again, I’m not here to tell others what is right or wrong but so far as I see it we cannot have it both ways. We can’t have all the services without the costs unless there are cuts elsewhere. And yeah maybe I am biased but I cannot understand how a nurse has no pay raise between year 8 and 20 and has to work overnight, weekends, 12 hour shifts and holidays with no summer vacation until they have roughly 15 years of seniority just to make the same as a teacher. I mean that with no disrespect. I’m not saying a teacher should make any less but I’m sure as heck saying a nurse should make more. I think this $4/hour raise should be permanent as they are dealing with not just covid but dangerous patients and family plus infectious diseases and the mental strain of seeing unfavourable outcomes weekly. It was said to me a long time ago and I never believed it; the nurses always made 10-15% less then fire and police because the nursing profession is mainly women while the others are mainly men. But you know what, I can’t help but think there is truth to it. So yeah maybe when this is all said and done there will be major changes across the board. And maybe there won’t be. Wishing you all the very best

1.30pm today Doug Ford will give us the update on reopening businesses ...keep your fingers crossed golfers

Thread Information