CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
    Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justdoit View Post
    .women's tee box is much closer..��
    LOL, i'm thinking about it buddy. been playing senior tees at different courses depending on yardage.Anything over 6000 yrds is getting harder for me. I play whites usually at my course Buckingham cause i know the course well.But at the beguining of the year, senior tees for sure.
    Last edited by Marcos; 04-11-2020 at 09:52 AM.

Putter 3PuttPete is on a distinguished road
    Last edited by 3PuttPete; 04-11-2020 at 05:08 PM.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3PuttPete View Post
    Excellent^^^^
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justdoit View Post
    .women's tee box is much closer..🥴
    Marcos's little white lies

Golf Nut justdoit is on a distinguished road justdoit's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post

I think he is just cleaning his club

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post

Busted !!!! LOL

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Do not do this Florida, you may get retrieved instead of your golf ball!
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    Do not do this Florida, you may get retrieved instead of your golf ball!

Good avise Luc. LOL.

5 Wood rossigm is on a distinguished road rossigm's Avatar
    There's still hope!!!

Multiple Central Okanagan golf courses are opening this week

Central Okanagan residents who have been adamant that golf can be played while respecting social distancing rules have finally gotten their wish.

Three Central Okanagan golf courses will open to the public this week with adapted rules and guidelines to meet physical distancing and sanitization standards recommended by the provincial health officer.

Kelowna Springs, Shadow Ridge and Shannon Lake, which are Play Golf Kelowna (PGK) partner courses, will all open to the public on Wednesday, April 15.

“An abundance of preparation, industry discussion and careful consideration has gone into this decision,” said a statement from PGK.

PGK cites provincial regulations regarding non-essential services that says any business or service “may stay open if it can adapt its services and workplace to the orders and recommendations of the provincial health officer.”

After conferring with courses in the Lower Mainland and Kamloops that have been open over the past few weeks, PGK has implemented the following protocols at all three courses:

Signage indicating golfers to stay at home if experiencing Covid-19 symptoms, or having returned from travel
    Signage indicating physical distancing reminders around the courses
    Reducing inventory of tee times
    Golfers cannot enter the golf course property earlier than 20 minutes before their tee time
    Limiting number of people in the Golf Shops
    All warm-up areas will be closed (putting greens, hitting nets, etc.)
    Removal of touchpoints on the golf course such as ball washers, bunker rakes, inserts to prevent golf ball from falling to bottom of cup, etc.
    Restaurants remain closed, and gathering places like tables and chairs have been removed
    Golfers must leave the property immediately after golf and no loitering around clubhouses or parking lots

“Golf provides the community with a place for outdoor exercise and much-needed positive mental health stimulation during this difficult time,” said PGK’s statement.

“With an average property size of 100+ acres, the ability for physical distancing (minimum of six feet apart) is easily achievable on a golf course.”

PGK says that a number of other health and safety measures, along with the appropriate signage, will be put in place around each golf course.

https://www.kelownanow.com/watercool...UDWFtaZABIFPeg

Consistently present SnazzyD is on a distinguished road
    OK.....I'm probably going to get flamed real bad for this contribution to the discussion, but here goes:

Why is nobody in the media asking some basic questions instead of fanning the flames of fear 24/7? Here's a few that I'd like to see discussed:
    1. How does Covid-19 compare to other recent outbreaks on a global scale?
    2. What is the average age of those who die from it?
    3. What is the mortality rate for those who are neither seniors nor have pre-existing conditions?
    4. Why are deaths attributed to pneumonia sharply down this year?
    5. Why are hospitals using Covid-19 'diagnosis codes' when patients die of unrelated issues?
    6. Within any region, how do the total number of deaths attributed to Covid-19, flu or other contagious ailments compare to recent years?

Here are a few of the documented facts that nobody ever talks about:
    • Around 90,000 Italians died from the flu and related symptoms just 2 years ago, mostly among the elderly who are the most prone to succumbing. Even if you accept the official Covid-19 numbers, their official death total right now is just under 20,000 (source: John Hopkins tracker)
    • Influenza had a huge impact on the US (sorry, the only reliable stats I could find) with data from last year highlighting how risky the flu season ALWAYS is for the elderly and those with pre-existing conditions.

2018 2019 CDC flu stats.jpg
    (source: CDC)

The numbers are even higher during the 2017-2018 flu season which resulted in 60,000-70,000 deaths (source: CDC)
    • When reporting breathlessly about the mortality rates, the media/experts work with a numerator that is clearly being inflated, and a denominator which is a huge unknown but is almost surely being vastly under-reported. When the H1N1 "swine flu" struck the world in 2009, it was estimated to have infected between 43-90 million Americans and resulted in 9,000-18,000 deaths (source: CDC) and as many as half a million worldwide.

Did we shutter the global economy and suspend most civil liberties as a result?

Of course not! So what the heck is going on now?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't like being manipulated or lied to - if I wanted any of that, I'd ask my teenager why he was home late from school (now a distant memory). I will continue to follow the guidelines to keep my family and others safe, and am making the most of our "mandatory bonding time" (which has been great, to be honest) but.....something's not right here, and I can feel it in my creaky bones.

I don't own (or rent) a tinfoil hat, so feel free to rebut but counter with facts to the contrary (I'd love to be wrong here) instead of the usual ad hominem when tightly held world views are challenged.

My Dad (recently RIP) always drilled into us the importance of critical thinking when watching the nightly news or reading any statistics.....I can hear him clearly now.

Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by SnazzyD View Post
    OK.....I'm probably going to get flamed real bad for this contribution to the discussion, but here goes:

Why is nobody in the media asking some basic questions instead of fanning the flames of fear 24/7? Here's a few that I'd like to see discussed:
    1. How does Covid-19 compare to other recent outbreaks on a global scale?
    3. What is the mortality rate for those who are neither seniors nor have pre-existing conditions?
    4. Why are deaths attributed to pneumonia sharply down this year?
    5. Why are hospitals using Covid-19 'diagnosis codes' when patients die of unrelated issues?
    6. Within any region, how do the total number of deaths attributed to Covid-19, flu or other contagious ailments compare to recent years?

• Around 90,000 Italians died from the flu and related symptoms just 2 years ago, mostly among the elderly who are the most prone to succumbing. Even if you accept the official Covid-19 numbers, their official death total right now is just under 20,000 (source: John Hopkins tracker)
    • Influenza had a huge impact on the US (sorry, the only reliable stats I could find) with data from last year highlighting how risky the flu season ALWAYS is for the elderly and those with pre-existing conditions.

Attachment 62385
    (source: CDC)

The numbers are even higher during the 2017-2018 flu season which resulted in 60,000-70,000 deaths (source: CDC)
    • When reporting breathlessly about the mortality rates, the media/experts work with a numerator that is clearly being inflated, and a denominator which is a huge unknown but is almost surely being vastly under-reported. When the H1N1 "swine flu" struck the world in 2009, it was estimated to have infected between 43-90 million Americans and resulted in 9,000-18,000 deaths (source: CDC) and as many as half a million worldwide.

Did we shutter the global economy and suspend most civil liberties as a result?

Of course not! So what the heck is going on now?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't like being manipulated or lied to - if I wanted any of that, I'd ask my teenager why he was home late from school (now a distant memory). I will continue to follow the guidelines to keep my family and others safe, and am making the most of our "mandatory bonding time" (which has been great, to be honest) but.....something's not right here, and I can feel it in my creaky bones.

I don't own (or rent) a tinfoil hat, so feel free to rebut but counter with facts to the contrary (I'd love to be wrong here) instead of the usual ad hominem when tightly held world views are challenged.

My Dad (recently RIP) always drilled into us the importance of critical thinking when watching the nightly news or reading any statistics.....I can hear him clearly now.
    A couple points; if you have the flu you almost certainly know it. You stay at home, generally, and you get over it. One of the biggest issues with the covid-19 virus is that you may not know you have it as the symptoms can be very mild. This, IMO, is one of the leading reasons why it is so dangerous.

But looking at this through a health care lens is what made (makes) this so dangerous. Because of the respiratory implications it causes such a significant strain on resources that we simply don’t have in place. Ottawa has approximately 120 ICU beds with the pumps and vents needed. The fear was if there was a sudden wave of incoming patients they simply could not have provided care for everyone. So the physical distancing was (is) a must to help avoid this surge that would stretch resources beyond capacity. If not for the physical distancing and lock downs this could have been 10-100 times worse. It is a major commitment to essentially shelter in place but this is what was required otherwise it would have been far, far worse then a seasonal flu. As it stands many lives were saved and everyone will be back on the local golf courses sometime next month. My course wouldn’t have opened for another couple weeks anyway so we are only going to be a couple weeks behind as it is. No big deal on that front. And when safe to do so I will do my part to help the economy by spending all my discretionary income locally.

Anyway, just my two cents.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    WHAT A GUTSY POST SNAZZY. I'LL APPLAUD YOU FOR IT

I have been wonder a lot of the same things myself over the past 4 weeks. In a nutshell-----I am 75 years old--lived a good life--in comparatively decent health and in no way am I afraid of dying---it's inevitable. When we go---no one knows.

We have a pandemic---there is no denying it---how we are handling it is another question.

We had no FLU vaccine---no SARS vaccine--no H1N1 vaccine but we are still here. Why----the man upstairs is the only one that knows. All we did was develop a vaccine AFTER. We will also develop a vaccine after for Covid 19

This disease--virous or what ever you want to call it does has a lasting effect---it does kill. It kills the vulnerable---it has been proven.

My opinion is that this is a blip on the evolution of man and yes we will get through it because there are people that ARE surviving it---just how many we won't know until it is 100% over.

It is overwhelming our hospitals and everything that we have know as normal. We were not prepared; could we ever be? I don't know.

Apparently this started because a bat ate some dog meat in a outdoor market. Is this true? Hell there have been outdoor markets for years. What makes more sense to me is that maybe it started in the outdoor market in Wuhan---in a overcrowded, unsanitary environment. All that tells me the conditions were ripe for something to happen. The virous was spread world wide and the hardest effected places are the overcrowded areas of the world-------------not unsanitary-----not less affluent---THE MOST CROWDED CENTRES. THERE HAS TO BE SOME CORRELATION TO THE POPULATION DENSITY ????

I will stick my neck out----I think someone somewhere over reacted !!!! ALTHOUGH I WILL ADMIT I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT WOULD HAVE HAPPENED IF WE DIDN'T.

There is already talk of relaxing restrictions in Florida and Texas---they have both been hit the hardest in the pocket book--oil and tourism. I think it's time someone woke up !

As I see it for now the cure is worse than the disease-----------%$#$%% did I just mirror the number moron on our planet---please excuse the comparison but I had no other way to express it.

Agreed we have no vaccine for this but one day we will.

I am not on the front line but I can only imagine and at this point all I can say is THANK-YOU.

I am a proud Canadian and under the circumstances I am extremely grateful to live where I do.

Thanks for reading---I really wanted to get this out---right or wrong.
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Posting Sensei justsomeguy is on a distinguished road

How does Covid-19 compare to other recent outbreaks on a global scale?
    1. It is much worse. Over 100,000 deaths in about 2 months.
    It can kill anybody. What's your point?
  14. What is the mortality rate for those who are neither seniors nor have pre-existing conditions?
Again, what's your point? Are you suggesting that seniors and those with pre-existing conditions don't matter?
  • Why are deaths attributed to pneumonia sharply down this year?
  • Duh, because these same people are at the highest risk for dying from COVID-19, which kills them first.
  • Why are hospitals using Covid-19 'diagnosis codes' when patients die of unrelated issues?
  • Really? This sounds like something from some wacko conspiracy website.
  • Within any region, how do the total number of deaths attributed to Covid-19, flu or other contagious ailments compare to recent years?
  • COVID-19 did not even exist until December 2019 - its a little early to make yearly comparisons.
    That would be 90,000 flu deaths per year vs. 20,000 COVID-19 deaths mostly in the last month. Not exactly a good comparison...

North America has had the advantage of being one of the last places hit, so we've seen (and hopefully learned from) what is happening elsewhere in the world. Those countries that have ignored it are paying a steep price, and those that took swift and immediate action are coping.

This is not a new thing - only new to us. The Black Plague killed at least 100 million people in the 1400's, and the Spanish Flu killed at least 50 million people only a 100 years ago. So don't think it can't happen here. I can stay home for a month or two if that's what it takes.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Scratch Player Gobble_It is on a distinguished road Gobble_It's Avatar

Cool

There is some hope for golf soon

https://www.vicnews.com/sports/golf-...fety-measures/

Ford is going to extend the state of emergency for another 28 days...That will take us to second week of May. Most courses around Ottawa don't open until mid or end of May.. Still hoping for a full season !

Fairway Junkie Michael is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobble_It View Post
    There is some hope for golf soon

https://www.vicnews.com/sports/golf-...fety-measures/

Ford is going to extend the state of emergency for another 28 days...That will take us to second week of May. Most courses around Ottawa don't open until mid or end of May.. Still hoping for a full season !
    Believe that will take us to 12 May when legislature is scheduled to return.

4 Iron Gangrel is on a distinguished road
    InfluenzavsCOVID-19_v02_AG_hpEmbed_10x13_992.jpg

this is why Covid has to be taken more seriously than the flu.

5 Wood rossigm is on a distinguished road rossigm's Avatar
    Hi,

There's currently a petition going around asking the premier of Quebec François Legault to let the golf courses open during the COVID-19.

https://www.change.org/p/gouvernemen..._share_initial

I'd feel safer going golfing outside on acres and acres of property rather then going at the grocery store...... as long as the basic rules of distancing are followed.

- Tee times every 10 minutes
    - One person at a time in the pro shop (pay your green fee (credit card only ''TAP' and get out) you can't buy balls/tees/shoes etc...
    - No power cart (golf courses don't have enough to send out 4 per group and 2 person in a cart is not social distancing)
    - No ball washer
    - No rake
    - Flag stick welded to the bottom of the cup with a 3-4 inch pool noddle at the bottom so the ball doesn't go all the way down. And yes welded because some dumb ass will still try to take the pin out.
    - No beer cart
    - No club house

And if you not comfortable with that don't bother complaining just stay home until it's over.
    Last edited by rossigm; 04-15-2020 at 01:08 PM.

Fairway Junkie Michael is on a distinguished road
    I don't think 10 minutes between tee times is enough to avoid back-ups at some courses.

1 Iron BARGEGOLF is on a distinguished road BARGEGOLF's Avatar
    Under the physical distancing constraints, Public course green fees will have to be jacked up significantly to generate sufficient revenue to make it close to viable. 2somes with fewer tee times. Negligible pro shop, food and beer revenues...

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road

I have not read all the posts so this simple point may have been made previously. IMO, the NUMBER of deaths is irrelevant, but the RATE of death is. If the death rate from the mostly preventable flu is.1% and using some current COVID-19 statistics, the latter has a world wide death rate of 6.4%. Simply means that one has 64 times the chance of dying from this virus than the flu at any age and obviously much greater than that if your my age.

Plus, there is currently no cure or vaccine.

3 Wood ex-mailman is on a distinguished road
    The reason the rate is so high is that very few people in relation to the population are being tested. So the ones that die are counted but those that get it and survive are not being tested.

Consistently present SnazzyD is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    I have not read all the posts so this simple point may have been made previously. IMO, the NUMBER of deaths is irrelevant, but the RATE of death is. If the death rate from the mostly preventable flu is.1% and using some current COVID-19 statistics, the latter has a world wide death rate of 6.4%. Simply means that one has 64 times the chance of dying from this virus than the flu at any age and obviously much greater than that if your my age.

Plus, there is currently no cure or vaccine.
    I agree. The mortality rate is key.....but the numbers we are being shown are grossly inaccurate and misleading, for several reasons:
    1. the number of deaths reports as being "Covid-19 related" is being inflated (A)
    2. the number of confirmed cases is way, way under-reported (B)
    3. the mortality rate isn't being broken down by age/health conditions

A/B is the mortality rate you're referring to, and for the reasons above we can safely assume the true number is nowhere near 6.4%. And if you broke down a more realistic figure for mortality rate by age and health condition, you would see that the general population (younger, healthy) are at very little risk, while older people and those with pre-existing conditions are at a very high risk, just as they are with the flu every year.

The other thing they aren't talking about is the impact this is having on mental health, physical well-being and the many kinds of fallout occurring when people's livelihoods are destroyed.

The real numbers don't support the over-reaction. The damage being done to the world economy and societies everywhere is orders of magnitude greater than the disease itself.

It concerns me that so few people are questioning any of this...

Quote Originally Posted by BARGEGOLF View Post
    Under the physical distancing constraints, Public course green fees will have to be jacked up significantly to generate sufficient revenue to make it close to viable. 2somes with fewer tee times. Negligible pro shop, food and beer revenues...
    Very, very few golf courses are public only in this area. Almost all have some combination of members (who have already paid their fees) and public golfers. I'm sure that course maintenance is the biggest cost - and they are already paying out that money.

The real danger is if the courses are closed for half the summer, they're going to have to refund a portion of members fees or risk losing them next year. Plus all the tournaments that will be cancelled even if the courses do open. Its going to be tough year either way.

I concerns me that you are stating so many things as FACT without a shred of evidence.

There is absolutely no evidence that COVID-19 deaths are inflated - in fact there is considerable evidence of the exact opposite. The death toll in China is so ridiculously low (especially since it started there), that the only question is whether the actual numbers are 4, 6 or 10 times what they are reporting.

I'm not sure what your point is about under-reporting of actual cases either. Do you think that 50,000 cases is somehow better? You get sick, and you either recover or you die - the other numbers are not that important.

As for your last point, well I guess your ageism is showing. Old people matter too.

Its not fun staying at home, not playing golf and having everything closed - I get that. But implying that young people should be able to do whatever they want because even if they get this highly-contagious, deadly disease with no known cure or vaccine they (probably) won't die from it - well that's just being selfish and I don't get that. So stop spouting conspiracy theories and suck it up for a few more weeks. You'll manage - and us geezers will thank you for it.

Pitching Wedge prophet is on a distinguished road
    I agree. The mortality rate is key.....but the numbers we are being shown are grossly inaccurate and misleading, for several reasons:
    1. the number of deaths reports as being "Covid-19 related" is being inflated (A)
    2. the number of confirmed cases is way, way under-reported (B)
    3. the mortality rate isn't being broken down by age/health conditions

A/B is the mortality rate you're referring to, and for the reasons above we can safely assume the true number is nowhere near 6.4%. And if you broke down a more realistic figure for mortality rate by age and health condition, you would see that the general population (younger, healthy) are at very little risk, while older people and those with pre-existing conditions are at a very high risk, just as they are with the flu every year.

The other thing they aren't talking about is the impact this is having on mental health, physical well-being and the many kinds of fallout occurring when people's livelihoods are destroyed.

The real numbers don't support the over-reaction. The damage being done to the world economy and societies everywhere is orders of magnitude greater than the disease itself.

Last year if an 80 year old man would have died of pneumonia nobody would have batted an eyelash probably said he lived a good life this year not so much .when was the last time anyone heard of someone dying of cancer or heart disease?

3 Wood Jasonreg is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    Its not fun staying at home, not playing golf and having everything closed - I get that. But implying that young people should be able to do whatever they want because even if they get this highly-contagious, deadly disease with no known cure or vaccine they (probably) won't die from it - well that's just being selfish and I don't get that. So stop spouting conspiracy theories and suck it up for a few more weeks. You'll manage - and us geezers will thank you for it.
    Well said.

Pitching Wedge prophet is on a distinguished road

In the Zone 1800Duffers is on a distinguished road 1800Duffers's Avatar
    Cool idea, how deep does the pole go into the ground?

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    I like this design better: https://twitter.com/CobblestoneGolf/...71223929335809

Hands keep further away from the hole / flagstick.
    Twitter: @mfarquharson73

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    .....you would see that the general population (younger, healthy) are at very little risk, while older people and those with pre-existing conditions are at a very high risk, just as they are with the flu every year.

Is this then a suggestion that we open everything up, which would likely increase the spread of the virus resulting mostly in the deaths of those of us who are older, in order to save the livelihoods and mental health of those that are younger?

• + Reply to Thread
    Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Thread Information