CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
    Scratch Player Gobble_It is on a distinguished road Gobble_It's Avatar
    As long as we have the "spike" of highest number of new cases in 3-4 days like today, it will be status quo until end of May .

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mjf View Post
    I'm thinking that courses should either have designated 'waiting areas' on each hole with squares painted on the ground each 10 feet from the other. Or... maybe say that if you have to wait you should do so with each person at a different corner of the back tee on each hole (assuming it's generally un-used).
    I spoke to someone today who works at a course and they seem to have indicated courses will open after the long weekend.

8 Iron cpal is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobble_It View Post
    As long as we have the "spike" of highest number of new cases in 3-4 days like today, it will be status quo until end of May .
    You've got a top doctor in Canada saying he doesn't understand how the virus is still spreading. As usual, we should be terrified by the people in charge.

I spoke to someone today who works at a course and they seem to have indicated courses will open after the long weekend.
    What a joke. Not shocked actually, but the sheer stupidity displayed by officials, news outlets and people in general right now is fantastic.

3 Iron eez is on a distinguished road eez's Avatar

Germany trending

Germany Covid.JPG

Looking at Germany's daily reports, it's clear the trend is good, but there are a lot of spikes. Could be how / when regions report, or how often test results are reported.

I'd love to see Ontario and Canada get to this stage of "spikiness".
    You always hit a good shot on 18 to keep you coming back.

Putter spanky is on a distinguished road
    for safe distance, likely a 14-week, add one club per week phase-in: driver only 1st week, add putter by 14th week, otherwise, high-handicappers only to start

Pitching Wedge pwoods72 is on a distinguished road
    Ontario reporting 346 new positive cases today and with 19,227 test results (highest so far). This is the lowest percentage of positive results reported compared to 477 yesterday. It would be informative to see this broken down by Region to see if the huge swing is associated with specific areas.

Patients in hospital have also been decreasing along with those in ICU. So as more cases are verified each day, the rate of hospitalization decreases. Isn't this a vital measurement when assessing risk and public policy?

Ace KOKO72 is on a distinguished road KOKO72's Avatar
    I am assuming that as more and more of the economy opens up and people start to go out these spikes will inevitably continue. Common sense, social distancing and washing of hands has to increase as restrictions are loosened.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Hopefully there is a doctor on the forum (A) You can have the virus and it does not effect you. (B) You can have the virus and you ARE infected and you CAN spread it. There are only 2 scenarios ????? YOU ARE A CARRIER IN BOTH CASES. This may seem like a mundane OBSERVATION but I think it makes a real clear picture------------------SO, if this IS the case there are only 2 solutions. (A) we come up with a vaccine or (B) we find a way to kill the virus ?????? Either way we are in for a long haul ????

What is real scary---the country's debt amount has been 2 to 5,000,000,000---according to Ian Lee of Carleton University it is now 250, 000,000, 000 and in 2 months it will be 1,000,000,000,000. His question was "how long can we sustain this ?"

Too much to think about---I'm going out to cut my grass----yes it needs it---the fertilizer worked
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Quote Originally Posted by KOKO72 View Post
    I am assuming that as more and more of the economy opens up and people start to go out these spikes will inevitably continue. Common sense, social distancing and washing of hands has to increase as restrictions are loosened.
    Of course it will. Shutting everything down was never going to stop or 'defeat' the virus. All it was meant to do was slow down its spread so the medical system wouldn't be overburdened. As we go back into the world, infections will increase but the goal would be to manage them to not exceed medical capacity. The same total number of people will get the virus as if we'd not shut down, but those infections will just be spread over a longer time horizon rather than being condensed in one large, steep spike.

Most of us will get it eventually - shutdown did nothing to prevent that. There WILL be more infections as we reopen, which is why listening to people talk about avoiding future waves/spikes is hilarious and ignorant of science.

Flattening the curve was about spreading out the cases over a longer curve, not about reducing the total number of cases in the long-term. Young, healthy people have almost no risk but practicing good hygiene and social distancing once we're out will still help manage the rate of infection. More importantly, older people or those with vulnerabilities should absolutely continue to isolate for the foreseeable future.

On a golf note - parks and green areas opening in ON, so perhaps courses soon?

Quote Originally Posted by cpal View Post
    Of course it will. Shutting everything down was never going to stop or 'defeat' the virus. All it was meant to do was slow down its spread so the medical system wouldn't be overburdened. As we go back into the world, infections will increase but the goal would be to manage them to not exceed medical capacity. The same total number of people will get the virus as if we'd not shut down, but those infections will just be spread over a longer time horizon rather than being condensed in one large, steep spike.

Most of us will get it eventually - shutdown did nothing to prevent that. There WILL be more infections as we reopen, which is why listening to people talk about avoiding future waves/spikes is hilarious and ignorant of science.

Flattening the curve was about spreading out the cases over a longer curve, not about reducing the total number of cases in the long-term. Young, healthy people have almost no risk but practicing good hygiene and social distancing once we're out will still help manage the rate of infection. More importantly, older people or those with vulnerabilities should absolutely continue to isolate for the foreseeable future.

Well said cpal---clear and simple

6 Iron EagleEagle is on a distinguished road

Curb side pick up

Pretty sure Golftown is opening Monday for curb side pick-up which is a good sign we are moving in right direction.

Got My Card btasse is on a distinguished road btasse's Avatar

Older people

Quote Originally Posted by cpal View Post

Not sure where you got info re older people should continue to isolate. I am in that age group and disagree with statement.

Here are stats from mid May in Canada for covid by age groups.

0-19 age 5.41%
    20-29 age 12.24%
    30-39 age 14.22%
    40-49 age 16.02%
    50-59 age 16.47%
    60-69 age 11.92%
    70-79 age 7.99%
    80+ age 15.74%

I would say that older people are safer than people in the 20-59 age group. Maybe they should be the only ones playing 🤗

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...bution-canada/
    Golfing only thing on my mind.......

Quote Originally Posted by btasse View Post
    Not sure where you got info re older people should continue to isolate. I am in that age group and disagree with statement.

Here are stats from mid May in Canada for covid by age groups.

0-19 age 5.41%
    20-29 age 12.24%
    30-39 age 14.22%
    40-49 age 16.02%
    50-59 age 16.47%
    60-69 age 11.92%
    70-79 age 7.99%
    80+ age 15.74%

I would say that older people are safer than people in the 20-59 age group. Maybe they should be the only ones playing ��

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...bution-canada/
    Uh, not sure why you're looking at infection stats. Those stats are irrelevant given young, healthy people are recovering from the virus just fine. Older people or those with pre-existing conditions are dying.

This is older and from the UK, but it is representative of relative death rates (by age groups) experienced in Canada and the US:

More info: https://www.worldometers.info/corona...-demographics/

On topic - another day, another Ford press conference without golf. Apparently it's safer to buy plants in a retail store than play golf outdoors...

Caddy Gofish2 is on a distinguished road Gofish2's Avatar
    Well said, with age comes increased risk as you are more likely to have high blood pressure, diabetes and other health issues. That being said I will be on the course walking and practising social distancing.

Administrator MikeRaganold is on a distinguished road MikeRaganold's Avatar
    Let's keep this thread about implications of GOLF. and... Play nice.

Your statement was "older people" should isolate period with no further explanation or statistic to support your claim. Anyone in any age group that has a serious pre-existing condition of any kind has greater chances to pass with covid. The highest number of people in "Canada" that have covid are in the 20-59 age range.
    This is my last comment on this subject.

Pitching Wedge pwoods72 is on a distinguished road
    Back to golf; I was originally more confident that Quebec courses would open before Ontario but with Montreal still shutdown and the assumption that they wish to open all courses in the province at the same time, I think it is more likely Ontario opens first and I predict it will be after this coming weekend (not based any information just hope).

As far as protocols when golfing and really anywhere for that matter, I for one will be very aware of my distance to another person and I suspect most will behave the same but it's bound to happen where a few people may congregate a little inside the safe distance in certain areas (easily out of habit) and it will require each person to take a greater degree of responsibility in both reminding others and also to accept being reminded of their distance. You will also have the extremes as well; those that a very protective and scared of contracting the virus (in which case why are they even out) and those with purposeful disregard and will act in defiance. It's this latter type that I would be most concerned with and I hope they respect that not everyone shares their views and will adjust accordingly.

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Greensmere have posted that they will have 12 minutes between tee times and a list of common sense criteria , we're getting close peeps
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Quote Originally Posted by pwoods72 View Post
    Back to golf; I was originally more confident that Quebec courses would open before Ontario but with Montreal still shutdown and the assumption that they wish to open all courses in the province at the same time, I think it is more likely Ontario opens first and I predict it will be after this coming weekend (not based any information just hope).

As far as protocols when golfing and really anywhere for that matter, I for one will be very aware of my distance to another person and I suspect most will behave the same but it's bound to happen where a few people may congregate a little inside the safe distance in certain areas (easily out of habit) and it will require each person to take a greater degree of responsibility in both reminding others and also to accept being reminded of their distance. You will also have the extremes as well; those that a very protective and scared of contracting the virus (in which case why are they even out) and those with purposeful disregard and will act in defiance. It's this latter type that I would be most concerned with and I hope they respect that not everyone shares their views and will adjust accordingly.
    Ya, it's not really any different than if you showed up to golf and one of your playing partners told you they were just getting over strep throat or something. You'd take precautions to keep some distance, not shake hands, etc. and ask them to keep their distance if they weren't being mindful. We've likely all done it before, just not for every single round.

Oh well---another week passes and still nothing The previous comments are great.
    MIKE---I understand the forum rules but don't you think that they should be relaxed for this situation ?
    I have watched the news----too much; but the more I hear from the "powers that be" the more complicated things are becoming. While Ford has done a good job in most cases he is starting to sound like Trump---there is no need to keep telling Ontario residents they are great etc. and also to keep thumping various politicians on their back. They are being paid handsomely to do a job.
    Just found out that WE cannot open up our own companies
    to manufacture various PPE equipment because it would violate some existing trade agreements----wonder how many more agreements are out there that we as "little people" know nothing about !
    Maybe the bottom line might be---"if you want it done--do it yourself" don't rely on foreign powers. Not sure how that would work
    As far as opening the courses--personally I think he may be holding back because if he does it will favor a select group versus the masses --no idea at this time .
    BTW---went out yesterday because we did need some things---one trip in 3 weeks----6 different stores Lowes--Costco--Metro--CTC---HD---all empty !!!! Last stop Chinese food at the Dragon Restaurant on Montreal Road----busy as hell--no social distancing---no staff--no masks--no gloves for staff and no cleaning of pin machine. Just shook my head

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    Oh well---another week passes and still nothing
    Ford extended the status quo from May 15th to May 18th a couple of weeks ago so people don't go nuts on the long weekend. I don't know what you were expecting, but I was expecting May 16th at the earliest and now I'm expecting courses to open on May 19th.

Golf Nut justdoit is on a distinguished road justdoit's Avatar
    Here is a scenario..golf opens in ontario but us quebecers cannot cross the bridges if still closed.You guys won't have us to bother you.If bridges open and courses open in Ontario but not in Quebec we plan to take over your courses..😎⛳🏌️*♂️

Scratch Player Gobble_It is on a distinguished road Gobble_It's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justdoit View Post
    Here is a scenario..golf opens in ontario but us quebecers cannot cross the bridges if still closed.You guys won't have us to bother you.If bridges open and courses open in Ontario but not in Quebec we plan to take over your courses..��⛳��️*♂️

You can cross the bridges to go into Ottawa. It has never been restricted to Gatineau/Quebecois during Ontario covid-19 emergency declaration which it appears going to be extended until June 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Gobble_It View Post
    You can cross the bridges to go into Ottawa. It has never been restricted to Gatineau/Quebecois during Ontario covid-19 emergency declaration which it appears going to be extended until June 2.
    They ask you what is the reason..it Has to be for work or humanitarian for instance taking groceries to a parent or grandparent..you will not get across for golf

So only 3 provinces are not open for golf..Ontario Quebec and Nova Scotia but NS will open driving ranges this week..

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Problem is: If they go with 2 some every 10 minutes between tee off times that means they will only allow 12 golfers per hour. Good luck getting a tee off time after work or in primetime
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by justdoit View Post
    So only 3 provinces are not open for golf..Ontario Quebec and Nova Scotia but NS will open driving ranges this week..
    Good move by NS..... Wish they did same here before clubs opened...

Quote Originally Posted by btasse View Post
    Good move by NS..... Wish they did same here before clubs opened...
    Exactly..we will need to loosen up for sure before teeing it up

Caddy Gofish2 is on a distinguished road Gofish2's Avatar
    Once they open, how many plan on wearing a mask and/or gloves during their round ? I will certainly wear a mask the first time but uncertain about those nitrile gloves (tho they feel really good swinging my hybrids in the yard).

Ace KOKO72 is on a distinguished road KOKO72's Avatar
    Don't see the need for masks and gloves once on the course. Might be a good idea around the pro shop/starter area but as soon as you tee off there should be no need for the PPE.

Thread Information