CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hylands GC

Forum Jedi XTOUR is on a distinguished road XTOUR's Avatar

Hylands GC

Looking at becoming a member. Any members here that can give me some information? TIA
    Proud member of the 2010, 2011 ,2012 OG vs TGN RYDER CUP
    Captain of 2012 Team OG Ryder Cup Champions!

3 Wood MarcArt is on a distinguished road MarcArt's Avatar
    Hi Xtour, As a member I have written this before, so please excuse the cut and paste portion of the message below, and if you wanted to find out more, private message me and I'll email you details on how to join... and you'd be welcome to join me for a round at the start of the season to check Hylands out. Oh, and by the way, the greens will be in great shape this year, having been put to bed well last fall. Here is the cut and paste I sent to someone else on the forum a while back...
    With its two full 18 hole courses - other than GreyHawk and Greensmere, the latter being non-Private, 36 holes is virtually unique in the region for a private club - and its tremendous practice facilities, with full grass range, three large putting greens all of which you can chip onto, and two full practice holes where you can use a pitching wedge to lob balls in from 100+ yards out and practice out of four bunkers onto an actual greens, in terms of value, challenge, ease of getting tees times, experience and friendliness, the Hylands Golf Club is one of the best private clubs I can think in the region. Regards...

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    They had a fantastic deal at the expo today. General public member $1950 all in (included tax and bar tab). I thought that was great.

The food and beverage credit is $300, so that deal would be $1,650 for golf, for a total of $1,950 to join Hylands...
    If I weren't already a member, I would have taken advantage of it.
    If the incentive isn't carried over, on Monday one would pay $2,325, plus HST.
    Call Hylands on Monday and see if the deal can be honoured...
    There is an initiation fee as well, which can be spread out over three years, four if you defer paying any of that fee the first year. At least, that has been the case in years past.
    Last edited by MarcArt; 03-07-2020 at 09:31 PM.

Thank you for your response. Your PM is full. I've looked at it couple yrs back I think with you also.
    They are honoring the 15% discount until Friday. I won't be playing that much weekend golf. They told me you can play as early at 6am if you have your clubs with you.

A couple of questions I had were...

Lottery system…if you don’t get your time does it provide you with the next closest time?
    Men’s night…. Cost and format . What time does it start?
    Locker room… Yearly cost?
    Practice range hours?

Also other than tournaments, are there days during the week that one of the courses are closed?

thanks

Hi again Xtour, it was me a year or so ago, sorry about the InBox, I've clear it...
    Below I have answered your questions, the only one I couldn't was the cost of Mens' Night at Hylands...
    Hope these help... Keep in touch if you do join, there are great golf friends there, and a great golf great community awaits you.

--------

Lottery system… if you don’t get your time does it provide you with the next closest time?
    - Not always the very next available time, but I have had no issues with getting times I want overall. Though on a busy summer weekend you might get a time an hour or so out from what you put in for as a foursome; but as a single, even as a two-some, it is rarely an issue to get times you want. My friend on the forum and fellow Hylands member 'Muddler' said it best on this forum with this assessment of the Lottery system at Hylands:
    "I've been a member for 6 years. The club got a new reservation system a couple years ago and its pretty good. You can reserve a tee-time up to 10 days in advance from your computer or mobile device. You put in your preferred time, course, playing partners. The tee-time sheet is generated by computer 3 or 4 days in advance.
    If you want a tee time after that just log-in, find and opening, and put your name in. If it's full, just show up and the starter will slot you in, as there are almost always last minute cancellations. Also, you can play on a first-come first-served basis early in the morning or after 5:30pm.
    There are very rare occasions where one of the courses is being used for a tournament on a weekend morning when things will get a bit hairy. This is once or a twice a season for inter-sectionals.
    I play most of my golf after work during the week and just show-up. I book on weekends and generally get my preferred time."

Men’s night…. Cost and format . What time does it start?
    - Though I don't participate in the Mens' Night, it is Thursdays, with Nightly Prize Table, 50/50 draws, Championship Team Prizes, Weelkly Contests (closest to the pin, Iongest/straightest drives), and Off-Course Contests. Last year there were 70 plus participants with the Opening Night Tournament on May 26th, followed by the first Mens' Night on May 30th. Sign-up was by May 17th.

Locker room… Yearly cost?
    - A locker and club storage are included in the fees.

Practice range hours?
    - PROSHOP HOURS OF OPERATION:*
    MAY, JUNE, JULY & AUGUST
    Monday – Friday: 0700 hrs – 2000 hrs
Saturday: 0630 hrs – 2000 hrs
Sunday: 0630 hrs -1900 hrs
Sunday (Driving Range) 0630 hrs – 1500 hrs
    OTHER MONTHS
    Monday – Friday: 0730 hrs – 2000 hrs
Saturday: 0700 hrs – 2000 hrs
Sunday: 0700 hrs – 1900 hrs
Sunday (Driving Range) 0700 hrs – 1500 hrs

Also other than tournaments, are there days during the week that one of the courses are closed?
    - I can't recall any time when both courses were closed for one or more tournaments.

thank you!!

Monday Qualifier 314314 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by XTOUR View Post
    Looking at becoming a member. Any members here that can give me some information? TIA
    Go for it.... my son and I are members and we love it.... Best deal in town.

1 Iron BARGEGOLF is on a distinguished road BARGEGOLF's Avatar
    What is the Hylands Golf Club's messaging regarding the Airport authority's long term plans for use of the lands the golf courses currently sit on?

Page 21 of the Airport Master plan refers to FUTURE AIRFIELD OPERATIONS SUPPORT & TERMINAL AREA...

https://yow.ca/sites/yow.ca/files/si...mary_-_eng.pdf

3 Wood Jasonreg is on a distinguished road
    While I do not know the answer to the question posed, if you read the entire executive summary, you will see that the Future Airfield Ops area is designated as future land use for a potential parallel 07R25L runway expansion. Earlier in the report however it suggests that YOW has sufficient runway access to support all future growth through 2038. So....again while I am not sure of the answer, it does not seem to impact Hylands - at least in the near term. Interesting read though.
    Last edited by Jasonreg; 03-10-2020 at 11:28 AM.

Thanks for this. Do you have a link to the full report ? I can only find the summary on the YOW.ca website...

Sorry, no I do not but I was referring to section 3.2 Airfield Capacity of the exec summary in the link you provided. Last Para reads:

"The highest growth scenario assumed in the aircraft movement forecasts predicts 133,627 runway operations in 2038; therefore, there is sufficient runway system capacity to accommodate air traffic growth in the next 20 years, and beyond."

I recall a couple of years ago that the Airport Authority was saying that the east-west runway needed to be extended. At the time, the consequence indicated was that Alert Road would be closed and that access to the golf course take place from the south - re-opening Bowesville off of Leitrim. Anything to that?

So take this with a grain of salt, but while I do not have any specific information on extending 07/25 (currently 8,000 feet - it would not hurt but 8,000 is pretty standard these days), given they just resurfaced the runway (was it last year or the year before?) one can assume this plan is not exactly immanent. My two cents.

3 Iron Noonan is on a distinguished road
    Hi XTOUR

My son and I were members at Hylands in 2016. I enjoyed my 1 season there alot. Men's night was lots of fun as well. Whenever we didn't get a tee time that suited us on the weekend, my son and I simply took advantage of the earlybird feature-we'd often be finished our 18 holes and sitting in the restaurant eating breakfast by 8:30 AM. I did not play as much golf that season as I would have liked but that was due to work being too busy, not the golf club. Lots of great guys there though.

I suspect the greens will be great there at Hylands this year having just been re-done. Last season was horrible even for many of the big private clubs. It took our fairways quite a while to come back last season at my long-time private club in Manotick. We hosted the Tunis last year and the fairways weren't quite back to 100% by then. Our greens are always great there though.

Let's hope this season is a good one once it starts after the COVID pandemic cools down.

Sounds like the golf show deal for Hylands would have been a steal. Lots of golf courses are hungry these days and this will continue in the near term due to demographics and fewer younger people taking the game up. Who knows what this season will bring economically speaking to local clubs.

Have a good season anyway.

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    Finally just joined. My son has been a member for 3 years, so it was time I joined as well. Over the past 3 years, I have felt so comfortable at the club when I was "invited" by my son . The members are absolutely so welcoming.

Looking forward to the 2021 season and meeting other OG Hylands members.
    Last edited by em69; 01-01-2021 at 12:22 AM.

Fairway Junkie Michael is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by em69 View Post
    Finally just joined. My son has been a member for 3 years, so it was time I joined as well. Over the past 3 years, I have felt so comfortable at the club when I was "invitrd" by my son . The members are absolutely so welcoming.

Looking forward to the 2021 season and meeting other OG Hylands members.
    Congrats, great choice, especially that your son is there. 36 holes, good practice and chipping area and the price is decent too. My favourite is the north course, the last 3 holes can be tough depending on the wind.

Gap Wedge InTheHunt is on a distinguished road
    How busy was the course this year especially later in the day. Any members input would be great.

Thanks

5 Wood doctor-wedge is on a distinguished road
    I have heard that with a full golfing membership at Hylands, it is hard to get a tee time ?

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by InTheHunt View Post
    How busy was the course this year especially later in the day. Any members input would be great.

Thanks
    It was busy just like any other course as many people were working from home, therefore were able to golf more often.

But if you looking to play later in the day, then there were spots available.

Hylands runs a good lottery system and quite often we would get a tee very close to what we asked.

3 Iron Noonan is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by InTheHunt View Post

Thanks
    I was a member there in 2016 (pre-pandemic) and there were no issues at all getting out after work.

As others have pointed out, this past Covid season it would have been much more challenging since the number of rounds were up astronomically pretty much everywhere.

Pitching Wedge GMoch is on a distinguished road
    Hylands tends to be busier than others in normal times due to having 1300 to 1400 members playing 2 courses. As has been mentioned this past season was even busier due to the uptake in golf due to COVID.

Quote Originally Posted by GMoch View Post
    Hylands tends to be busier than others in normal times due to having 1300 to 1400 members playing 2 courses. As has been mentioned this past season was even busier due to the uptake in golf due to COVID.
    Yes it was busy last year from what other members told me. But in 60+ rounds, my longest was a 4:10 with 3:30 being average. Many members only play nine.

Thread Information