+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar

Predictions - Season Opener

Time to get some season opener predictions.

1 point = Name the date
    2 points = Name the date and the course

Mapleview - April 15th

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Presscot, April 7th

In the Zone 1800Duffers is on a distinguished road 1800Duffers's Avatar
    Prescott, April 10

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I would say Mapleview April 5th showing my optimism
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

5 Wood Grabster is on a distinguished road
    Last year today, 76cm of snow on the ground.
    This year, 31cm of snow.

Toss in a bit of climate change, I'll go with March 20th, Mapleview.

Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road
    Not sure about opening dates but we have already received an email advising that the ice situation this winter could create similar playing conditions to what the region experienced last spring. The warming then cooling and the lack of snow as insulation (ice on top of the greens) could lead to trouble. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

On an aside Iooks like there is a chance the LPGA returns to Ottawa in summer 2021.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabster View Post
    Last year today, 76cm of snow on the ground.
    This year, 31cm of snow.

Toss in a bit of climate change, I'll go with March 20th, Mapleview.
    optimist! I hope you're right.
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Moderator Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 BogeyGolf is on a distinguished road BogeyGolf's Avatar
    I will say Prescott on April 17, 2020.

Bogie ladygolfer13 is on a distinguished road ladygolfer13's Avatar
    that would be great, where did you hear this

Quote Originally Posted by ladygolfer13 View Post
    that would be great, where did you hear this
    Sorry not sure if this question is directed towards me, but I’m assuming it is. We received an email last week announcing that a vote will be held at the club later this month to determine whether or not the membership endorses the tournament and the restrictions that accompany it.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnyc View Post
    Not sure about opening dates but we have already received an email advising that the ice situation this winter could create similar playing conditions to what the region experienced last spring. The warming then cooling and the lack of snow as insulation (ice on top of the greens) could lead to trouble. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

On an aside Iooks like there is a chance the LPGA returns to Ottawa in summer 2021.
    Too bad the winter may provide poor spring conditions, hopefully it will not affect as many courses as it did last year.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    I received the following update from Metcalfe a couple of weeks ago:

In the last six weeks there has been a lot of thawing and refreezing which has led to ice building up in the greens. As a result, we will be attempting to remove the snow from the greens in mid-February and will then apply an ice melting product made up of leaf compost and wood ash. This product is very black and attracts the sun to melt the remaining snow and ice from the green. Timing of this application of product is critical because there needs to be 3 days of strong sun to melt the ice. We will keep you up to date.

There have no updates on whether this intervention has been successful or not, but clearly the greens-keepers are worried. BTW "Rader Rob" is predicting an April 17th opening date for Metcalfe , so the "early-bird" courses are usually a week or so before that...

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    If you cover the greens in fall, does it help with ice build up? Maybe someone can chime in as i have no idea.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
    If you cover the greens in fall, does it help with ice build up? Maybe someone can chime in as i have no idea.
    Depending on how they are covered it does help. At Rideauview we cover ours and last year we had minimal green damage but there were still a couple of spots where the ice got underneath.

Hopefully it won't be as bad this year.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Bogie mikelaurin is on a distinguished road
    Iroquois do not cover greens were great from start to end of season , I will say Mar 27 for Prescott

Yes but Iroquois is far enough away that winters are not the same as here in Ottawa
    Lefty Lucas

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    At Rideauview we cover ours
    What steps does Rideaview take to protect? Curious.
    Where my son plays, they lay straw and then tarps.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    We are similar. A combination of straw, tarps, and I believe something like bubble wrap on some greens.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

To be blunt, it’s all about money. It’s tens of thousands of dollars to maintain tarps over 18 holes let alone 27 or 36 (depending on the property). Biggest issue with recent weather is the ice. Tarps can help protect but still are no guarantee. So you spend $40,000 annually on tarps and all it does is increase your chances of success come spring. Problem with our recent winters is ice. Snow acts as an insulator. It’s the ice that’s killing the greens with the warming and cooling. So how many golf courses in the region have the budget for tarps? Probably some but not all. It’s the same as course conditions. Very few courses are in the same condition today as they were in 10 years ago. Profits are down and therefore many (not all) courses are investing less in maintenance. Not to mention the cost of maintenance continues to rise (min wage, etc). And legislation regarding the ability to write off golf as a form of business expense has hurt the game. It all amounts to less money coming in and the cost of maintenance going up. And it’s high end courses too. I played Camelot last year and it’s a top 80 course in Canada and the conditions are consistent with what you might have experienced at emerald links 10 years ago. Just a much nicer layout. The Ottawa weather is unique. My brother lives in Toronto and there are parts of the city with no snow on the ground. Here in Manotick I’ve got 2 feet in my backyard.

5 Wood Pine View is on a distinguished road Pine View's Avatar
    Pine View has plowed and sanded the greens on the Championship course. The ice is melting quickly and the greens underneath are looking pretty good. We have a couple more days of warm weather coming before a nice new blanket of snow.
    This is not the Pine View you remember from years gone by. Come back and see what we have done and what we have in store for the future - www.pineview.com

Quick update; results of the vote last night have been released and It has been determined that the Hunt Club membership endorses the LPGA returning in August 2021

Bogie ladygolfer13 is on a distinguished road ladygolfer13's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnyc View Post
    Quick update; results of the vote last night have been released and It has been determined that the Hunt Club membership endorses the LPGA returning in August 2021
    Yay glad to hear

3 Iron eez is on a distinguished road eez's Avatar
    So it seems that Club EG has sent out an email that they "heard" that Prescott is opening in March !! Sounds more like hype and hope rather than likelihood.

From their email ... "I hear that Prescott Golf Club is opening soon! We stay in touch with the golf courses regularly in the spring and we’ll open up spots and some leagues events the moment they open — so stay tuned on that front. "
    You always hit a good shot on 18 to keep you coming back.

Birdie BOB LEFEBVRE is on a distinguished road BOB LEFEBVRE's Avatar
    Prescott March 27 th

Nice Bob, Prescott predicts a March opening yesterday and look at you today Capt obvious LOL I am headed to Ogdensburg in an hour so I will swing by the course and take some pics that you can all salivate over!! Oh and me too.
    Lefty Lucas

Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    Nice Bob, Prescott predicts a March opening yesterday and look at you today Capt obvious LOL I am headed to Ogdensburg in an hour so I will swing by the course and take some pics that you can all salivate over!! Oh and me too.
    Good man !!!!

Bogie mikelaurin is on a distinguished road
    I said Mar 27 on Feb 20

You win Mike, maybe
    Lefty Lucas

I am here for all OGers, the webcams from Syracuse shows green grass everywhere
    Attached Images
    Lefty Lucas

Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    I am here for all OGers, the webcams from Syracuse shows green grass everywhere

Thanks Luc. You made my day

Thread Information