CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Sand Wedge Quesnelr is on a distinguished road

Tournament Organization

Will be organizing a family tournament (40 +/- golfers) in late August and was looking for fun things to do and give to participants. Also any suggestions to collect $, people show up on time, keep a good pace on the course, etc. Any reference material?
    Thanks

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Hey Quesnelr, welcome to our forum.
    I am thinking about putting together a guide on the site, for first time toiurnament organizers, but I am kinda new at it myself

Do the basics; Closest to the pin (as many as you can), long drive, closest to the centrelin. The course management and staff are always very helpfull with putting out signs and rope for these things, or you can give the implements to the first cart out, and have them picked up by the last.

You could organize it in different ways, a scramble is good if there are a number of occasional players, since you all play from the best position, and it is a team effort; a challenge to go low for the better groups. If all the players are avid golfers, a best ball is fun. (lowest ball is the team score) This is good because it is a team effort, but you alll play your own ball to the hole. Sometimes accomplished golfers prefer this to picking up, and playing the best position.

For a few ideas, check out out OttawaGolf Tour page to see what kinds of games within the game we do at our events.

Try to gather as many prizes as you can, ask anyone you think may be able to help. Make sure to have a sign up listing the prize donors.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar

Talking

You dont say how good these golfers are other htna it is a family tournament. How good are they and whay kinda golf do they play.
    Start slow and give out as much as possible without charging an arm and a leg.

Are you eating afterwards or not? Do you want outside seating or indoor?

Ask all the neccessary q's to those playing........thye will tell you what they want out of it. Use their ideas as well. The more the better. Last word....start slow!!!
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Sand Wedge Quesnelr is on a distinguished road
    Golfers are beginner to intermediate. It will be a "best ball" tournament. While on the course I was thinking of closest to the pin, longest drive in the fairway (men's and women), nearest chip to the pin, longest putt and best drive off the first tee.

In scoring I was thinking of low gross team and possibly low net if the Callaway system is applicable to a team score as opposed to an individual score. (Here I would need to get a copy of the electronic scoring software.) Also a prize for the most honest foursome.

In the prize section I can always charge a bit more to buy stuff but I was looking at cheaper homemade gift ideas that could be done in the next 7 - 8 weeks before the big date.

Anyway this is long and thanks for your suggestions. I can be reached offline at quesnelr@rogers.com.

Richard

7 Wood gumby is on a distinguished road
    for a change of pace, instead of the usual
    long drive, and in an effort to even things up,
    have the people hitting on the long drive hole wear oven mitts...played in a tourney that did this and the usual long drive winners didnt win..
    it was funny to watch people try and hit wearing these mitts, and it kinda evend things out a bit.. it sounds like your trying to have a good time so this might help a bit...

7 Iron statsfreak is on a distinguished road

Talking Prizes

A idea you might consider for the prizes was one we enjoyed in a tournament we were in recently. Every participant brings a prize (limit on price of the item can be set) sealed in a brown paper shopping bag. All the bags are put on the prize table. At the end, the teams are called up in reverse order of finish, last place to first. As each team picks a bag from the table, they can "trade" their unopened bag with any of the previously picked and opened prizes. A trade cannot be refused. This means that the first place team has the pick of all the prizes except they don't know what was in the bags they picked until they open it or trade it away. Its a fun thing to do and really cuts down on you having to get all the prizes.

Putter piper is on a distinguished road
    Dan - I've been involved in the organization of some pretty big charity tournaments - would be happy to pass on any info that may be helpful in your online resource for new organizers. It's generally alot more work than most people anticipate but worth it in the end when everyone has a great time.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    I'd be most interested in any info you can send me. Of course you would be listed as a contributor.
    Thank you.

Putter o4par is on a distinguished road

Cool Tournament Organization

G’day Quesneir
    some thoughts on your tournament....
    Fortunately (or is that unfortunately?) i have been organizing our departmental tournament for the past 20 years..here are some hints that hopefully you can use. It took me a few years to learn but i believe that it is best to use the KISS (keep it sooo simple) theory. Forget the individual stroke play..worryng about handicaps and using a computer program..it is really way too much work for the purpose of the tourney. If you want a serious game with your buddy’s then you can arrange a small tourney (say you have 12 involved) whereby you know their caps and can apply them accordingly. I have played a lot of club tournaments ( i have a couple of two-piece wedges to prove it ) and i believe the purpose of these golf tournaments are strictly a social afternoon.

1) use a scramble format (you say it’s a family event)..make sure you have at least one golfer in each foursome who can advise other non-golfers on golf etiquette and keep up the pace of play of the group.

2) i have used a rule whereby you have to use everybody’s tee shot at least four times during the round. This will keep the non-golfers in the game and perk their interest also.

3)Use all the contest holes..ie: longest drive and closest to the pin. I usually have a prize for the most honest group..or dedicated group that comes in with the highest team score.

4) emphasize that this is a fun tournament and that there will be a token gift (mock-up trophy) for the winning team. I provide a trophy and perhaps a sleeve of golf balls to the winning team however, they do not get to pick from the prize table. I have averaged around 90 participants every year and this idea eliminates stacked teams from winning the big prizes. Once the token awards and prizes have been handed out, I then begin drawing from at hat so that everyone has the same chance at winning a quality prize.

Hopes this helps

ray (aka o4par)

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar

Talking Perfect!

o4par

We must have gone to the same school of "guide to golf tournaments 101"

Hosting our 17th Annual this sunday at Pakenham! Took a few years but the scramble format with token prize for the winners, prizes for CTP / long drive / straight drive / target shot, are great to have with any group. We also have a 50/50 putting contest and this year are trying a chipping contest too.
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Putter o4par is on a distinguished road

Cool

Thanks Steve....
    you're right, the only way to learn i guess... ...we still learn something new from each tournament. But as long as they keep coming..we'll keep organizing.
    Good luck with your 17th this sunday...gonna be a hot one

ray (aka o4par)

Thread Information