CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar

The here and now.

You’re a freak I am a freak. A lot of ink has been spilled over clubs and instruction yet very little about what goes on in your mind during a golf round. Does your mind wander? Mine does all the time. While I’m on the third hole I’m already thinking about the 17th hole and what could go wrong. Even worse while I am on the golf course I am thinking about writing this thread. I guess everyone’s mind wanders and you have to bring it back to the task at hand which is to stay in the here and now and taking it one shot at a time.
    I can just see it. You’re setting up to the tee and although you’ve been hitting them great in the range all the sudden you visualise a slice or your least favorite shot in your mind. Chances are you are going to reproduce the shot that was in your mind. So let’s start a positive thread about ways to improve our golf game. Does your mind controll you or is it the other way around?
    Least you could do is visualise your best shot ever. While it is no guarantee it is sure is a better mind set than thinking about your worst shots.
    Chief.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Birdie flagolfnut is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee
    You’re a freak I am a freak. A lot of ink has been spilled over clubs and instruction yet very little about what goes on in your mind during a golf round. Does your mind wander? Mine does all the time. While I’m on the third hole I’m already thinking about the 17th hole and what could go wrong. Even worse while I am on the golf course I am thinking about writing this thread. I guess everyone’s mind wanders and you have to bring it back to the task at hand which is to stay in the here and now and taking it one shot at a time.
    I can just see it. You’re setting up to the tee and although you’ve been hitting them great in the range all the sudden you visualise a slice or your least favorite shot in your mind. Chances are you are going to reproduce the shot that was in your mind. So let’s start a positive thread about ways to improve our golf game. Does your mind controll you or is it the other way around?
    Least you could do is visualise your best shot ever. While it is no guarantee it is sure is a better mind set than thinking about your worst shots.
    Chief.
    Good thread, I will get back to you on this one.

Barnie
    It's impossible.. You might like to pretend you are going to hit a sweet shot but you know in the back of your mind your full of On those difficult shots with hard pin placements you know the last thought going through your mind is going to inevitably switch to a prayer That is unless your a pretty good golfer already. For me it depends on my mindset to start my round. Today I didn't expect much and I ended up tossing the worst round of the year out.. It was boiling out!!

I often play my best games when I am not expecting much. Shot 81 today. Pretty happy with the outcome considering I only get out once a week. Yet when I come back home I remember my bad shots and my bad drives instead of remembering all the other good shots.I should remember the good ones which happen more often than not instead of remembering the bad ones.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Monday Qualifier Started2k3 is on a distinguished road
    I should remember the good ones which happen more often than not instead of remembering the bad ones.
    I am new to the game but what can you learn from a good shot?

If you have a bad shot into a green side bunker, but then have a great sand save and make par. Have you learned that it doesn't matter if you end up in the bunker because you will be able to save par or have you learned that there was something wrong with your approach shot (that may need work (either mentally or with your swing)).

I remember my good shots to give me confidence when I am in a similar situation again, but I remember my bad shots so that I can try to improve.

Just my opinion.
    Back at it.

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar
    So let’s start a positive thread about ways to improve our golf game. Does your mind controll you or is it the other way around?
    Good topic!

Well, I let my body control my mind during play..... which is a bad thing. If I'm playing a solid round, I'll start to let loose with the driver and spray a bit. If I'm playing a bad round, I'll resort to maybe a 2 iron or 5 wood off the tee and play safe which (in my mind is playing for bogey). I usually play better if I start off with the 2 iron or 5 wood off the tee and gradually get to the Big Shtick. I get a better confidence build up this way....

Another example. You're having the round of your life let's say even par after 7 then something clicks in your mind. If I get bogey bogey then I'll finish at 38 which is great. Experience tells me that it is not what usually happens. If you had taken it one shot at a time you would have increased the chances of finishing even par on the front nine or at least cleared your mind from getting in the way.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    I play my best when I am not thinking about anything golf related. When I get my mind of golf on the course I have played my best. My only thoughts are of picking my target and swinging. I don't think about tempo, grip, backswing, downswing, nothing. And I'll keep myself in that frame of mind throughout the round. When I'm having a bad day it's when I am thinking about my grip, stance, tempo etc. Very odd I am sure but it works for me.

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GJohnston69
    I play my best when I am not thinking about anything golf related. When I get my mind of golf on the course I have played my best. My only thoughts are of picking my target and swinging. I don't think about tempo, grip, backswing, downswing, nothing. And I'll keep myself in that frame of mind throughout the round. When I'm having a bad day it's when I am thinking about my grip, stance, tempo etc. Very odd I am sure but it works for me.
    Reminds me of my first "B" Class City and District Tournament. I went out and shot a wonderful 99 the first day at Outaouais (with a crowd pleasing 10 on #18)... went out and got loaded with some buddies (Izzy was there) and when it came to the second round and I knew I didn't have a chance, I ended up -3 after 9 holes! Of course, I knew this and colapsed on the back 9 (Mountain Creek) and shot 80.

I guess that if you aren't thinking (or you are too messed up to think) can lead to good things!

Quote Originally Posted by GJohnston69
    Been there done that. However my scores are more consistent this year because mainly I don't try to change anything while on the course even if I am not having a great day. It works out a lot better that way. I have also learned to put bad holes behind and never give up on the round until I am in the parking lot. This has led to unexpected birdies.Like Yogi would say: It ain't over until it's over.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    Hmmm. I find my best shots are when I just step up to the ball, go through my pre-shot routine and rather than look at the ball I take a good look down the fairway to my target, then back at the ball, and then swing.

My worst shots are when I think of anything mechanical (i.e. keep left arm straight, head down..blah blah).

It's a self perpetuating problem because when I hit a bad shot I tend to overreact and think "what did I do wrong" and then try to correct it.

It sounds kind of stupid, but when i'm playing well and scoring well, all I am aware of when I am swinging is the wind in my ears, birds chirping etc. i.e no inner chatter or negative thoughts. If I could get there and stay there more often i would score a lot better.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    However my scores are more consistent this year because mainly I don't try to change anything while on the course even if I am not having a great day.
    Good advice - make swing changes on the practice range only, but when you get to the course - "you gotta dance with the one that brung ya"

Thread Information