CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Lob Wedge Northern Golfer is on a distinguished road Northern Golfer's Avatar

swing all messed up

For years I did not touch a driver as I hit a power slice (50-150yds) when using the same setup and grip as my long irons (1-3). This year I have adopted a very strong grip and play the ball off my front foot and sometimes even in front of it. This setup lets me hit my driver with only about 10-30yards of slice or dead straight. The bad side affect of this setup is that I tend to pull the ball and when i dont get that little bit of fade the ball is in trouble.

When I was not carrying a driver I would consistantly hit my 2-3 iron dead straight or a slight fade. I could really concentrate on coming over the top of the ball. I cant do this with a driver and have had to learn a new swing with the big stick. This has now affected my swing with my irons. I fade or slice most everything now and just feel lost with my once consistant irons.

Are wood and iron swings supposed to be that different?
    Would a swing trainer help? if so which one would be best?

Dave

Birdie flagolfnut is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Golfer
    For years I did not touch a driver as I hit a power slice (50-150yds) when using the same setup and grip as my long irons (1-3). This year I have adopted a very strong grip and play the ball off my front foot and sometimes even in front of it. This setup lets me hit my driver with only about 10-30yards of slice or dead straight. The bad side affect of this setup is that I tend to pull the ball and when i dont get that little bit of fade the ball is in trouble.

When I was not carrying a driver I would consistantly hit my 2-3 iron dead straight or a slight fade. I could really concentrate on coming over the top of the ball. I cant do this with a driver and have had to learn a new swing with the big stick. This has now affected my swing with my irons. I fade or slice most everything now and just feel lost with my once consistant irons.

Dave
    You have to have the same swing for every club. The only difference is in the length of the club i.e with a driver your swing will be a longer than it would be with a wedge, but the swing remains the same. People often think that there is a different swing when they use their drivers and that is one reason why so many beginners struggele with their drivers and longer irons.

Gap Wedge dlaville is on a distinguished road
    No, both are the same. It's difficult enough to learn one correct swing why make it two? Physically and geometrically both swings are the same, what changes is ball position so you can hit down with an iron but sweep more with a wood.

Personally, I like the Momentus or similar training aids. It teaches you to swing the club on plane and trains the components of your swing to comply with it.
    David Laville, G.S.E.M.
    The Golfing Machine Authorized Instructor

Lob Wedge Northern Golfer is on a distinguished road Northern Golfer's Avatar
    thanks for the feedback guys...this weekend i went out with a minor tweak to my grip for my irons...boy did it work...had my best 18 of the year and tied a personal best...but that was no thanks to my driver...the big banana slice is back...oh what a mysterious game we play...

here is my driver setup....very strong grip...ball placed directly off my front foot...the very strong grip limits my backswing in speed and distance which usually keeps me from over swinging...

im keeping my eye out for some training aids on eBay...

Sand Wedge SwingGuru is on a distinguished road

Dave
    I wouldn't go that far up in my stance, it is like throwing logs on a fire as far as encouraging a slice is concerned. Get to a good teaching pro in your area and get a couple of lessons. It will work wonders, or upload your swing to this site if you have the capabilities and I'll have a look.

BTW, the iron and wood swings should be executed the same, however the shortened shaft, narrower stance will change the length of swing and pitch of the club going back, so they might feel a touch different. But you should strive to have them feel the same. There is but one swing laddie, so learn it well and you'll master all the shots, from a 5 yard lob to a 300 yard drive.
    [url="http://www.swingsensations.com"]http://www.swingsensations.com[/url]

Get your game online....

Thread Information