CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    "Richard"

Why isn't golf in the Olympics?

They just got rid of baseball. IF golf was an Olympic sport that would be amazing. its such a huge sport right now and its growing so fast. Whoever won a gold medal, they would be national hero. Ian Thorpe, Micheal Felps, marion jones became national heros after their wins. It would be bigger than winning any of the majors because it would be for your country. Not sure if it would mean as much to the players right away but In time, I'm sure it would mean just as much.. if not more. I mean, its only every 4 years. The only problem is that anyone can win ONE golf tourny. US open being a perfect example. What do you think? would golf be a good olympic sport?

"Richard"
    Also, would golfers show up to an event with no apreance fees? With no $5m purse? What if the country didn't have quality course to compare to the course the majors are held at? Are they really going to spend $50m making a golf course to use at the olymics? I guess if they can build $180mil stadiums and then not use them after then they can build a course

"Richard"
    interesting. Why didn't it last as a sport? What do you guys think about them adding it now? Do you think they can get a field strength equal to that of a major?

Birdie flagolfnut is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    They just got rid of baseball. IF golf was an Olympic sport that would be amazing. its such a huge sport right now and its growing so fast. Whoever won a gold medal, they would be national hero. Ian Thorpe, Micheal Felps, marion jones became national heros after their wins. It would be bigger than winning any of the majors because it would be for your country. Not sure if it would mean as much to the players right away but In time, I'm sure it would mean just as much.. if not more. I mean, its only every 4 years. The only problem is that anyone can win ONE golf tourny. US open being a perfect example. What do you think? would golf be a good olympic sport?
    I think it would be a great Olympic sport. Not only do the pro's get to play but the best amateurs in the world too. There are a lot of amateurs out there that nobody knows about who can play on the Tour. I played with one in Florida. I'm wondering how it would be set up though. Match play or strole play?? Would like to see it as an Olympic sport.

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    I can see it as an olympic sport similar to how the World Cup is set up. Each country sends a two-man team and they play best ball or some format like that.

Championship Cup Eldred is on a distinguished road Eldred's Avatar
    I guess if they can build $180mil stadiums and then not use them after then they can build a course
    I don't see how host city would have budget to build a championship golf course just for the one/two weeks tournament. But imagine the existing golf courses in the region bidding to provide their venue?
    Now there's an Olympic event of its own

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Also, would golfers show up to an event with no apreance fees? With no $5m purse? What if the country didn't have quality course to compare to the course the majors are held at? Are they really going to spend $50m making a golf course to use at the olymics? I guess if they can build $180mil stadiums and then not use them after then they can build a course
    I believe the reason why golf is not an Olympic sport has nothing to do with the players or the availability of venues. From what I have heard the major pro tours and golf associations (PGA, European PGA, LPGA, USGA and R & A) are simply not interested.

The tours would effectively have to shut down or have greatly diminished fields without any of the top players during the two to three weeks required for the Olympics (I'm assuming it would be some form of match play tournament). They would lose revenue during those weeks and their tournament sponsors for those weeks would not be happy. So they are not interested, and the IOC is not interested in a sport that will not make the accomodations necessary to allow their best players to compete (that is why baseball was kicked out).

In order to be an Olympic sport you must have an international association to represent the sport, establish the rules and essentially govern the running of the events on site. It would not be hard to set one up, but currently all of the national golf associations (including the USGA and R & A) are not interested in doing so. That could change if the pro tours decide to accomodate the Olympics, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    The countries who competed in baseball at the Olympics never had (or for as long as I can remember) their best players. The US team was made up of college kids. Baseball and softball were eliminated from what I gather for lack of competition. The US womens softball team was undefeated in something like 120+ games. And in baseball you could always count on Cuba being in the mix. For how many years in mens hockey were teams littered with also rans but it remained as a sport, even without each countries best players. I think golf is not a sport because of the organizational aspects. I think el tigre is right by saying the USGA and R&A don't want to take away the big draws from their tournaments. But a compromise would be to make it voluntary. If the golfer wants to compete he does so on his own time, going through his country's qualification rounds etc. I think you'd be surprised at how many would enter. I could see Tiger thinking " Well Jack never won an Olympic medal". And if not, like a previous post said, there would be alot of great amateur golfers (or even minor tour players) competing.

Thread Information