I don’t get around to many courses anymore but here is the review of what I’ve played this season;

Ottawa Hunt is in excellent condition. Layout has improved with the recent renovations but there are only a couple truly memorable holes. But the conditions are top 10 in the country equivalent to Hamilton, Weston or any of the elites. Despite a tough spring course really bounced back hard and remains the best in the city.

Laval sur la Lac Blue and Green. Played both courses about 4 weeks ago. The layouts are good to great and the conditions are very good but not as elite as they were when I was there last. This is the top course in Montreal and the property is something out of a movie. Greens are super difficult though. Crazy undulations and very quick. Almost unplayable at points.

Black bear ridge. Played it a couple weeks back for the third time. Quickly becoming a favourite of mine. Super cheap (paid $76 for 18 walking). But a great layout. Lots of great holes. Greens putted well. Very good shape. A notch below Laval and two notches below Hunt in terms of condition but like the layout and would play be a member if the course was closer.

Camelot. Finally played it for the first time today. Some great holes and some wonky ones. Course had some great vistas and reminded me of Tremblant. Not great shape to be honest and the greens were the worst I’ve played on this year. Definitely a course you’d benefit from playing with a member to get some help on lines off the tee but at no point was it unfair.