CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Michelle Wie

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge
    Well, she's had 2 kicks at the cat and missed both times, even if it was only by a whisker. It's time for her to establish herself on the LPGA Tour and go take on Annika. It can only serve to increase the popularity and prize money in the women's game.
    Didn't Mike Weir miss a few cuts? And you're a golfer? From what I've read, you are pretty good at the game. Do you score your best every game? How about 2 in a row? I'd place $1000 at 2 to 1 that if Wie participated all year, she'd make the cut 5 times or more.

It amazes me that people who golf could think she wouldn't. All of Andru's points are valid: she's 15, she scored better than a lot of PGA pros, she's got many years to improve, and she's done really well her FIRST TWO EVENTS ON A PGA TOUR...imagine if she participated in 50.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flagolfnut
    Stick to the LPGA! Not doubting her abilities, but there'a a PGA for men and LPGA for women and there is a reason for that. Pointless to play in any event where you know you don't have a chance to win and all your trying to do is make the cut.
    The PGA does not have a men only rule. It is a tour that professes to be for the best players in the world regardless of their sex. If she shouldn't be there because she has no chance of winning at this time, then I can think of at least 60 players on the PGA Tour who also should hang up their clubs. But they continue to toil on the tour to develop their games. More to the point, Tiger had 8 cracks at the PGA Tour before he made his first cut. I don't recall too many fans suggesting that he did not belong there. I've said in before and I'll say it again. Michelle Wie has game - lots of it. If she continues to develop her game at her present pace, there is little doubt that not only could she qualify as a full time player on the PGA Tour, but she could, and most likely will, win. And who can really blame the sponsors for inviting her. Her presence alonge boosts attendance substantially and increases the number of hospitality tents and media presence. Professional golf is a business and Wie is good for business.

Birdie flagolfnut is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfpeasant
    Didn't Mike Weir miss a few cuts? And you're a golfer? From what I've read, you are pretty good at the game. Do you score your best every game? How about 2 in a row? I'd place $1000 at 2 to 1 that if Wie participated all year, she'd make the cut 5 times or more.

It amazes me that people who golf could think she wouldn't. All of Andru's points are valid: she's 15, she scored better than a lot of PGA pros, she's got many years to improve, and she's done really well her FIRST TWO EVENTS ON A PGA TOUR...imagine if she participated in 50.
    She would miss the cut almost every time if she played 50 times. How can missing the cut both times be doing really well? Is it because she's a girl? That's no excuse, and that's the whole debate. She's a girl playing mostly against men and therefore I think we should treat her as a man and missing the cut is not doing well. Doing well would be not missing the cut and actually having a chance. If she wants to play with the big boys then let her, but take it at face value, she wouldn't survive out there, not now at least

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar

If you had read further into my post you would have read that I agree that she does belong on the men's tour, if she proves herself. It's an insult to Mike Weir to compare him to her. Mike worked his ass off to prove himself on the Canadian and Nike tours, and had to go through Q-school a number of times to make it there, just as did many of the guys on tour did. Why should Michelle Wie be given free passes? If she wants to play on tour, let her do it like everyone else did. Or would you rather she just be given her card?
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    She would miss the cut almost every time if she played 50 times. ..
    And the proof of this is, Like St. Anselms's proof of God's existence, self-evident? I don't think so. While your assertion might (as a logical possibility only) prove to be correct if she played 50 times, I'd rather test its validity by seeing how she does after 50 attempts. I suspect that neither of us will have to speculate about this for long. My guess is that she will play 50 times and the proof will be there for all to see. I'd wager that she'll do quite well. A friendly wager, perhaps???

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mpare
    And the proof of this is, Like St. Anselms's proof of God's existence, self-evident? I don't think so. While your assertion might (as a logical possibility only) prove to be correct if she played 50 times, I'd rather test its validity by seeing how she does after 50 attempts. I suspect that neither of us will have to speculate about this for long. My guess is that she will play 50 times and the proof will be there for all to see. I'd wager that she'll do quite well. A friendly wager, perhaps???
    I'll take that bet Mike. Especially knowning that for her to play in 50 PGA Tour events, she will at some point have to qualify to do so, as well as keep her card (seeing as there are only 38 events that she would likely be exempt for, excluding majors and top 30/top 56 tournaments). There aren't 50 sponsor's exemptions to be had.

I'll be right there cheering for her if she earns her way on tour. I feel that right this minute she is not there yet, and is doing a great disservice to women's golf by not devoting more time to the LPGA Tour. There are a lot of young women and girls that aspire to play there. Annika still aspires to play there. Why shouldn't Michelle Wie? We all know that she wants to play on the men's tour. Why not use the LPGA as a practice ground, if she's that good? On the PGA Tour she's nothing more than a curiosity right now.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    On the PGA Tour she's nothing more than a curiosity right now
    = more sponsor's exemptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    = more sponsor's exemptions.
    But it shouldn't...

For the same reason that the PGA Tour raised it's minimum age to 18 for qualifying (the Ty Tryon rule), as well as the NHL, NBA, NFL, etc. These kids are gettng chewed up and spit out at the expense of corporate and personal greed.

Can't argue with that. Good point Lobbie. I had not thought much about the fact that the corporate bean counters can abuse her popularity.
    However her viability as a PGA player is still valid.

BTW Green rules

However her viability as a PGA player is still valid.
    Agreed. As long as she earns it.

BTW Green rules
    You wish. See ya tomorrow.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by powerlefty
    From the PGATour rules...

12. Sponsor exemptions (a maximum of eight, which may include amateurs with scratch handicaps of 0 or less), on the following basis:

A. Not less than two sponsor invitees shall be PGA TOUR members not otherwise exempt for the event.

B. Not less than two of the top 30 finishers and ties from the last Qualifying Tournament, as well as 2-20 from the 2004 Nationwide Tour money list, if not all of them can otherwise be accommodated. (Note: PGA TOUR members may receive an unlimited number of sponsor invitations. Non-TOUR members may receive a maximum of seven per year).

Thank you.

"Richard"
    I wonder if they will have to "Michelle proof" the courses on the LPGA tour in a few years. They did it for tiger, and she is much more impressive compared to the women pros than tiger was compared to the men back when he was 15. Does that mean she is going to be better than Anika? I think so but only time will tell.

You know what would be AMAZING... If she won the amatuer even coming up next week because in winning that you get an invite to the masters. I'm sure Hootie Johnson would love that. But she has no chance to win that tourney either.

I still have no idea who Ty Tryon is

I still have no idea who Ty Tryon is
    Yah, but you are certainly learning. Try googling "Ty Tryon" and grab a coffee. Learn why not jumping in with both feet is important to a young PGA hopefull.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Could we say that Ty is golf's A Daigle?.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

"Richard"
    wow, did some reading. Read some articles from before he started to suck and they were saying he would be the one to push tiger and even beat him more than not!!! But wie is still an amateur and says she is going to college, going to be college golf and not rush into anything. Hope she is going to stick with it because it sounds like the right way to go.

I deffo not turning pro man!!! Going to stay an amateur forever like bobby jones. Speaking of which, if anyone has TMN on demand, they just added the bobby jones movie, check it out. Its really good

Yes grasshoper. Now go hug your clubs and repeat the mantra... "It's only a game" several hundred times.

Thotho, you are a real "keener".

"Richard"
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee
    Could we say that Ty is golf's A Daigle?.
    Daigle wasn't to good in OTT but he was doing pretty well before the lock out. I was acutally looking forward watching him play.

Andru
    Yah, but you are certainly learning. Try googling "Ty Tryon" and grab a coffee. Learn why not jumping in with both feet is important to a young PGA hopefull.
    Yeah but Michelle has the LPGA to fall back on not really the same comparison. Ty Tryon had no choice his grades were terrible. The PGA and the Million dollar contract with Callaway was his best option.

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    [QUOTE=LobWedge]. But do it through Monday qualifying or take your shot at Q-school like everyone else. QUOTE]

Then we should kick Tiger off the tour and send him to Q school and make him Monday qualify because he never did either of these.

Can you believe it, the world's greatest player now actually "snuck" onto the tour through sponsor's exemptions. He made enough money (and I believe, won an event) in the events following his last US Amateur win so he NEVER WENT TO Q-SCHOOL. And HE NEVER MONDAY QULIFIED ANYWHERE. Oh, and by the way after he got his Tour exemption he then snubbed an event the next week (Milwaukee I think) by not showing up to use his sponsor's exemption.

She would miss the cut almost every time if she played 50 times. How can missing the cut both times be doing really well? Is it because she's a girl? That's no excuse, and that's the whole debate. She's a girl playing mostly against men and therefore I think we should treat her as a man and missing the cut is not doing well. Doing well would be not missing the cut and actually having a chance. If she wants to play with the big boys then let her, but take it at face value, she wouldn't survive out there, not now at least

Actually, its because she's 15. From what I've seen, her problem is experience, not skill ... every time she's in contention for something, she "greg norman's" a bit. In contention for women's US open, 15, amateur. In contention to make cut at 2nd PGA event ever, 15, amateur.

Guys, give me a break. This sounds so sexist, its hilarious. "Stick to the PGA, theres an LPGA and PGA for a reason." LOL. Thats right. There were whites only for a reason too.

Birdie flagolfnut is on a distinguished road
    Actually, its because she's 15. From what I've seen, her problem is experience, not skill ... every time she's in contention for something, she "greg norman's" a bit. In contention for women's US open, 15, amateur. In contention to make cut at 2nd PGA event ever, 15, amateur.

Guys, give me a break. This sounds so sexist, its hilarious. "Stick to the PGA, theres an LPGA and PGA for a reason." LOL. Thats right. There were whites only for a reason too.
    Bad take on the "whites only" bit. Almost every sport has a men's and women's division, that's the fact, don't break it down to comparing it to races because that's totally off topic.

SInce discussion is subjective, what I'm hearing SOUNDS sexist to me. Prejudice can white, gender or anything based on "pre judgement". Thats what I'm talking about, and its not off topic.

Andru
    SInce discussion is subjective, what I'm hearing SOUNDS sexist to me. Prejudice can white, gender or anything based on "pre judgement". Thats what I'm talking about, and its not off topic.
    Agreed suggesting the PGA exclude people based on Sex and not ability is sexist. We're not talking about a male trying to bully the women on the LPGA. We're talking about a special case here. A very talented young lady with enough game to play on the PGA tour. So she gets 2 sponsors exemptions so what did you see what the other sponsors exemption did this weekend? She did very very well.

She's getting a chance to play and learn from the best and the sponsors are filling their seats. It's a win win for both parties. I still don't get why this is such a big deal to some people.

Barnie
    Bad take on the "whites only" bit. Almost every sport has a men's and women's division, that's the fact, don't break it down to comparing it to races because that's totally off topic.
    I don't think it's off topic.. I think he's making a point that people will understand.. Think about how f'd racism seems to you know. Well it didn't to people back in the day.. Same with this.. So what if she's a girl... If she can compete which obviously she can then let her play with.. I'm sure she's not getting broken up by not winning or making the cut.. I would think she would realize she's only 15 and to be playing with the people she's playing is astonishing in itself. I think everyone should chill. She said she wants to go to college. Who cares if she plays with the boys every once in awhile. Personally I think the PGA respresents the best golfers in the world. If one happens to be a female. Kudos to her!

BTW I have no idea what the answer is but what place did the other exemption players come in?

3 Wood wopstergolf is on a distinguished road wopstergolf's Avatar
    [QUOTE=powerlefty]
    Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge
    . But do it through Monday qualifying or take your shot at Q-school like everyone else. QUOTE]

Then we should kick Tiger off the tour and send him to Q school and make him Monday qualify because he never did either of these.

Can you believe it, the world's greatest player now actually "snuck" onto the tour through sponsor's exemptions. He made enough money (and I believe, won an event) in the events following his last US Amateur win so he NEVER WENT TO Q-SCHOOL. And HE NEVER MONDAY QULIFIED ANYWHERE. Oh, and by the way after he got his Tour exemption he then snubbed an event the next week (Milwaukee I think) by not showing up to use his sponsor's exemption.

It's a little bit different, Tiger had won three straight US Amateurs and basically dominated college golf. Michelle has won next to nothing, aside from a womens publinx tournament. That should get her into LPGA events for sure, but mens events, I don't think so.

And after he got his win, he didn't really need a sponsors exemption.

Andru
    [QUOTE=wopstergolf]
    Quote Originally Posted by powerlefty

It's a little bit different, Tiger had won three straight US Amateurs and basically dominated college golf. Michelle has won next to nothing, aside from a womens publinx tournament. That should get her into LPGA events for sure, but mens events, I don't think so.

And after he got his win, he didn't really need a sponsors exemption.
    I dont' get that comparison either, Michelle's not old enough to go to college yet. And she was the youngest to wiun the public Links in history. That's more than a 'big deal'

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road

Everyone Is Missing The Main Point Here

It seems that a lot of people are missing the main point here. I said it once, I'll say it again.
    If I am a PGA Tour Event Sponsor and I think Michelle Wie can help sell tickets to my event then I am inviting her to my event. Bottom Line, I need to sell tickets and if the Big 5 are not entered then why not invite her? She draws a crowd, she can golf. It is not like she is a 15 handicap hack. She can play the game.
    Comparing her to Woods or anyone else on the PGA Tour is a waste of print. Saying she doesn't belong in a PGA Event is a waste of print. The way I look at it, anyone outside the Top 100 on the money list do not belong on the PGA Tour. But they are there and allowed to enter tournaments.
    Come on guys get over the fact that Michelle Wie will continue to be invited to PGA Events. Whether she plays in them is entirely up to her to decide.

BOTTOM LINE? $$$$$ CHA CHING, MONEY TALKS.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum
    The way I look at it, anyone outside the Top 100 on the money list do not belong on the PGA Tour.
    ???????

Now what kind of Tour is ideal for you then?

Andru
    Hmmm maybe anyone in the top 100??

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road

Top 100

Ideal Tour? Anyone in the Top 100 retains his card. Anyone from 100-125 is automatically in the finals at Q School.
    Let's face it, there is enough money on tour now that if you perform well you can easily stay in the Top 100. If you can't earn enough to stay there then back to Q School.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Thread Information