100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Michelle Wie

Hopelessly Addicted fireice is on a distinguished road fireice's Avatar
    It was nice to see her salvage a decent round today. Nice second shot on #17, she missed the eagle putt though, she wanted it bad. She'll have to another one to make the cut tomorrow. Presently she's T73.

9 Iron putterking is on a distinguished road
    I think some of you guys are missing the point. Nobody's questioning her talent and yes she can hit the ball farther then a lot of the guys. BIG DEAL. My point is that other than the fact she's 15, a female and can pound the ball, she hasn't earned the right to qualify for men's events. Let's just say it for what it is. I'ts all about publicity and money.

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by putterking
    I think some of you guys are missing the point. Nobody's questioning her talent and yes she can hit the ball farther then a lot of the guys. BIG DEAL. My point is that other than the fact she's 15, a female and can pound the ball, she hasn't earned the right to qualify for men's events. Let's just say it for what it is. I'ts all about publicity and money.
    That would be consistent with virtually EVERY sponsors exemption given out. So why point it out?

It's a favour given to a pga tour player or club pro. Sometimes It's to a veteran like Paul Azinger or Mark O'Meara. Sometimes it's to an amateur like Ricky Barnes or Hank Kuene. Soemtimes it's to a celebrity like Mark McGuire. Sponsor exemptions are exactly that. A spot in the field for the person "the sponsor" (you know the one putting up the dough). Wants to see participate. it's one spot in the field at 2 of 46 tour events. This isn't a big deal.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'earned'. Is this a rule you're talking about? The last time I checked there's nothing to earn when it comes to exemptions.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Does anyone know for certain that the sponsor's can give an exemption to whoever they want?
    Does the PGA Tour have any say on the matter at all?

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stinger
    From my sources, she will be turning pro probably when she turns 16, which is in October, I think.
    Your sources are not good. She was on Dateline NBC last week and stated that she wants to go through the basic steps of life. She said she definitely what’s to go to collage. If she turns pro she will not be able to compete in collage golf.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by putterking
    You are 100% correct, she has not earned the right to play PGA events. Then again she has not "earned the rights to play LPGA events" either.

With that being said, bottom line is this. I am Joe Sponsor of a PGA event that falls the week before THE OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP. Now how many "Big Name PGA Pros" will be at my tournament? Hmmmmmmmmm let me think, uhhhhhhhhhh not too many. So what is the next best thing? Well give Michelle Wie an invitation. Why? Because she is 15 years old, good looking, hits the ball a ton and people like to see her play. So now I sell tickets which in turn helps me pay for the tournament I sponsored.

Bottom line here? MONEY. Plus is she really taking a spot from some PGA pro who could use the money to keep his card? Not really, there are extra spots open in tournaments for sponsors invites, local Pros etc.

Now everyone says she needs to win win win on the JR Amateur circuit so she can learn how to win. Well did you ever think that maybe, just maybe those events bore her somewhat? What about the PGA Pros who learned to win in Amateur Golf. Matt Kucher comes to mind. what has he done lately to make you think he is a superstar? Rickey Barnes, the list goes on and on.

I tend to think, (now I might be wrong about this) maybe some of the posters here are jealous of the fact this 15 year old girl is playing in a PGA event. If so get over it. You are posting here, she is driving it past PGA pros and out scoring them at the same time. If you were good enough to be out there then you would not be posting comments here I honestly feel she has the talent to eventually earn her PGA Tour Card, unless the PGA puts in a gender clause.

Let her play if she is invited. In all honesty, I wish she would finish high enough to earn an exemption into THE OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP next week, now wouldn't that be something!
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Barnie
    Quote Originally Posted by mberube
    Your sources are not good. She was on Dateline NBC last week and stated that she wants to go through the basic steps of life. She said she definitely what’s to go to collage. If she turns pro she will not be able to compete in collage golf.
    Speaking of school....I think it's spelt College

j/k

Quote Originally Posted by Barnie
    Speaking of school....I think it's spelt College

j/k
    You better line up if you want to check my spelling. English is a second language to me and I never took any English classes. What you see is what you get. Sorry if I offended you or anybody.

Mike

Barnie
    ahh I was just joking Bored at work

Shotmaker spidey is on a distinguished road spidey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flagolfnut
    That's understandable, but what about having a PGA player play on the LPGA for a few tournaments, to spice things up?? I mean put a lower class player i.e Duval who in my opinion stiil has the talent to get to where he used to be but is obviously struggling right now and I feel bad for him, but put him in a LPGA event to boost ratings ect... and see how he does.
    ...think about what you're saying, man.

Fans love to cheer underdogs. Duval is a former #1 in the WGR. Ooooh. He beat all the girls.... how exciting. How unpredictible.
    [color=blue]s[/color][color=red]p[/color][color=blue]i[/color][color=red]d[/color][color=blue]e[/color][color=red]y[/color]

[color=seagreen]"Got more dirt than ball. Here we go again."
    Alan Shepard, Apollo 14 Commander, Amateur-Golfer, preparing to take another swing during his famous moon walk in 1971.
    [/color]

Andru
    Cut line -3

Michelle Wie -4

What a golfer.

Pitching Wedge laiec is on a distinguished road
    -4 after the 18th. I believe she'll make the cut

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    she's still got the front to play...she played the back first....

better turn the TV back on .... thanks

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Hmm, so she's making you watch, after the boys are basically done. I'm watching too.

I am sure the sponsors are happy. Excemption used very well it seems.

Too bad she missed the cut. I have no doubts that she can play in the PGA event.
    ABC broadcaster was saying she is the star for this event. The station will stop airing this event after Wie finishes her last hole

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by laiec
    I have no doubts that she can play in the PGA event.
    I am in no way putting down her abilities as a golfer, she is a great player. But she cannot compete with the big boys, om a week to week grind. She played really well but aginast the bottom half of the PGA. IMO I think Anikka would have faired better

Quote Originally Posted by laiec
    ABC broadcaster was saying she is the star for this event.
    You're right about that, it was all about the $$$$$$$
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Karam
    I am in no way putting down her abilities as a golfer, she is a great player. But she cannot compete with the big boys, om a week to week grind. She played really well but aginast the bottom half of the PGA. IMO I think Anikka would have faired better

I agree completely but I wished she had made the cut.

Mike

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    She played really well but aginast the bottom half of the PGA.
    Yeah. And a year and a half ago she missed the cut by 1 in a terrible field with Goosen, Singh and Els? She tied with bottom half players like Furyk, Appelby, Kenny Perry and Maggert. She beat even worse players like Adam Scott and Todd Hamilton.

Tell me about a 15 year old boy who has competed as well in one off PGA tour appearances. She will make MANY cuts on the PGA tour.

Andru

She's 15. I think everyone is forgetting that. She's still a teenager and has over 30 years of golf left. She's going to get better. Much better.

That being said. I'm fairly confident in her ability to make cuts on the PGA tour. Win? I'm not sure about that. She's going to dominate that LPGA tour though.

You never know for sure. She's improved so much in the last year. Truly awesome.

I Wish

I wish I had her talent! That's all I can say

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    Wie made me watch the telecast on CNBC which I have never done before, job well done Wie and John Deere.
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons
    Does anyone know for certain that the sponsor's can give an exemption to whoever they want?
    Does the PGA Tour have any say on the matter at all?

From the PGATour rules...

12. Sponsor exemptions (a maximum of eight, which may include amateurs with scratch handicaps of 0 or less), on the following basis:

A. Not less than two sponsor invitees shall be PGA TOUR members not otherwise exempt for the event.

B. Not less than two of the top 30 finishers and ties from the last Qualifying Tournament, as well as 2-20 from the 2004 Nationwide Tour money list, if not all of them can otherwise be accommodated. (Note: PGA TOUR members may receive an unlimited number of sponsor invitations. Non-TOUR members may receive a maximum of seven per year).

As for taking someone's spot... check out David Duval at a cool T140. Michelle Wie scored better than him on both days. Maybe some other deserving person should have his spot.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by powerlefty
    As for taking someone's spot... check out David Duval at a cool T140. Michelle Wie scored better than him on both days. Maybe some other deserving person should have his spot.
    But his was his last warm up before the Open next week. Wonder how he will do there.
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Well, she's had 2 kicks at the cat and missed both times, even if it was only by a whisker. It's time for her to establish herself on the LPGA Tour and go take on Annika. It can only serve to increase the popularity and prize money in the women's game.

Do I think Michelle Wie should have the opportunity to play on the men's tour? Absolutely. But do it through Monday qualifying or take your shot at Q-school like everyone else. If anything, it will improve her mental toughness.

You want to impress me Michelle? Go take on Annika while she's still in her prime and validate your talent.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Birdie flagolfnut is on a distinguished road
    Stick to the LPGA! Not doubting her abilities, but there'a a PGA for men and LPGA for women and there is a reason for that. Pointless to play in any event where you know you don't have a chance to win and all your trying to do is make the cut.

there'a a PGA for men and LPGA for women and there is a reason for that.
    Not true.
    There is a Professional Golf Association for professional golfers
    There is a LPGA for Lady professsional golfers
    There is no MPGA that I know of.
    But do it through Monday qualifying or take your shot at Q-school like everyone else.
    She qualifies as a scratch player who draws viewers (see above). A no brainer for a sponsor's exemption.
    She plays from the same tees as the men at PGA events.
    She beats almost half the field.
    She is only 15.

I bet there are a lot of men (58 or so of them) feeling a bit sheepish today, having been beaten by a 15 year old girl. They may have to work harder.

I agree with Dan. Anyone who complains about Michelle playing in a PGA event should start footing the bill for that event.

Bottom line here is the almighty dollar. She sells tickets, sponsors like that. Did she take a spot from a struggling PGA member? No she did not . The field is set at 150 entries. There is room for 156, leaving 6 spots for the sponsors invites. If you could sell tickets you would be there, you can't so you are not. Simple math isn't it?

Admit it, she can play. For someone who is 15 to have that kind of talent is awesome. Remember guys she played a 7200 yard course, and was under par for two rounds. Not too shabby.

Look at the number of people who followed her group, you think they were there to watch Nick Watney? Hardly.

Maybe the RGCA should invite her to the BCO next year in Ancaster, I know I would go watch her play.

I really hope she goes to college, then after she finishes I hope she tries to qualify for the PGA Tour. Hey I work in an auto factory, there were women hired there before I was hired. They work right along side the men on the line. If Michelle is as good as the men then she should play beside them. Maybe, just maybe she wants that challenge in life.

Birdie flagolfnut is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    Not true.
    There is a Professional Golf Association for professional golfers
    There is a LPGA for Lady professsional golfers
    There is no MPGA that I know of.
    She qualifies as a scratch player who draws viewers (see above). A no brainer for a sponsor's exemption.
    She plays from the same tees as the men at PGA events.
    She beats almost half the field.
    She is only 15.

I bet there are a lot of men (58 or so of them) feeling a bit sheepish today, having been beaten by a 15 year old girl. They may have to work harder.
    No but there aren't any male players on the LPGA so therefore I don't think there should be any female players on the PGA which is 99.999% men. What it comes down to is males are normally better than women in sports that's why they are seperated. Now I'm not demising any women proffessional sport because most of us if not all of us would get wooped if we played an LPGA event, but when it comes to pro's there is a major difference. Then again if Wie does paly again and makes the cut and is challenging for the lead I will eat my words and accept it.

I don't think it matters if we accept it. It's happening.

Thread Information