CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Michelle Wie

9 Iron putterking is on a distinguished road

Question Michelle Wie

Apparently some of the guys are getting fed up with Michelle getting sponsors exemptions. Does a 15 year old girl belong in a men's tournament? She still hasn't won anything on her own tour yet. Personally, I think she should stick with the ladies. Thoughts?

Andru
    When those guys start putting up the 5 million dollar purse money, people will actually care what they have to say.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar

Watch out

This young Lady better be careful, in fact whoever is managing her should be extra careful not to bring her up and put her against the best golfers in the world (men) at such a tender age. Let her be a kid for awhile, go to college, beat the pants off the competitors on the women's tour then she can come over to the dark side of the PGA. Otherwise, she can call Jennifer Cappriatti on how to come out of a severe depression.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Putter MPC is on a distinguished road
    it's too bad that she's taking these exemptions from possibly some really good up and coming guys out there. It's a circus side show IMHO. I'm sure it draws the crowds..but are we saying that the PGA is just as good as Michelle, vice versa? I think not.
    [url="http://www.myputtercover.com/"]www.myputtercover.com[/url]

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MPC
    it's too bad that she's taking these exemptions from possibly some really good up and coming guys out there. It's a circus side show IMHO. I'm sure it draws the crowds..but are we saying that the PGA is just as good as Michelle, vice versa? I think not.
    actually, she's probably taking the spot of some no name local pro who has no chance of winning.....

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MPC
    It's a circus side show IMHO. I'm sure it draws the crowds.
    I agree on both points. Just because someone can bring in gate revenue doesn't mean they should get exemption after exemption.
    Mario Lemieux is a good golfer & so is Mark McGuire, and both these guys would create huge publicity so why not give them exemptions?
    The PGA is dead in its tracks with this issue, probably because they don't know how to deal with it.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar

Non Issue!!

I'm sorry but as an avid golf fan i see absolutely no issue with this at all. Wie wants to play with the boys so why not give her a chance to step her game up to their level. If she can do it at this age i can't wait to see her kicking ass when she's twenty. I say more power to a 16 year old girl who can outdrive half the players on tour. She's already hit one 310 today...It's definitely a media draw/circus as well but if it's good for the tour then why not do it. Let Nick Price and Vijay cry their eyes out!

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    I'm sorry but as an avid golf fan i see absolutely no issue with this at all.
    I'm pretty sure most who post on this forum are avid golf fans.

Do you think there should be some kind of criteria for giving out exemptions, or should the sponsor's have carte blanche to hand them out to whoever will draw crowds?

Anyone who has a problem with this because she is a 15 year old female needs to get out of the stone ages.

It's irrelevant what I think. The sponsors put up the $ and have a right to do what they wish.

If Mario or McGwire can go out and shoot even part on a layout like this and wish to play, I say go for it. I doubt they can though.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    There must be some sort of criteria for giving out exemptions and i'm sure it just comes down to the bottom line CASH!! Why give an exemption to someone who won't drawa crowd when you could start a media blitz and bring way more fans in to the tournie.

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    USUALLY I'll watch golf on Thursday afternoons, but now that I know Wie is in it, I'll make SURE to watch it out of curiosity. This means John Deere has done their job in getting me to watch their event.
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc
    It's irrelevant what I think. The sponsors put up the $ and have a right to do what they wish.

If Mario or McGwire can go out and shoot even part on a layout like this and wish to play, I say go for it. I doubt they can though.

Exactly my point - you have just provided the criteria by saying IF McGuire could shoot even par then go for it.

Answer me this - instead of Michelle Wie the sponsor invites Paris Hilton - according to this logic that's fine because they're forking out the $$?

Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons
    Exactly my point - you have just provided the criteria by saying IF McGuire could shoot even par then go for it.

Answer me this - instead of Michelle Wie the sponsor invites Paris Hilton - according to this logic that's fine because they're forking out the $$?
    Is she playing topless?

Just kidding. Of course there has to be some sort of golfing criteria, this is a golf event afterall.

BTW, she just fired a -1 70 for the first round. Not bad for a 15 year old, regardless of gender.

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    Apparently Wie can hold her own because she fired a 1 under par 70 and is sitting in T57th right now. I don't think there is any doubt that she can play with some of these guys.

I just think she should learn how to win like Tiger did. This can't do much for her confidence to play awesome and be tied 57th

9 Iron putterking is on a distinguished road

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons
    I'm pretty sure most who post on this forum are avid golf fans.

Do you think there should be some kind of criteria for giving out exemptions, or should the sponsor's have carte blanche to hand them out to whoever will draw crowds?

Anyone who has a problem with this because she is a 15 year old female needs to get out of the stone ages.
    The fact that she's fifteen and a female is not the issue. It's the fact that as far as I'm concerned she hasn't earned the right to play on the men's tour. At least when Annika tried, she was the number one woman golfer on the planet. Let her earn her stripes first.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc
    BTW, she just fired a -1 70 for the first round. Not bad for a 15 year old, regardless of gender.
    This is amazing, and don't get me wrong, I'll watch Wie as well, but to my knowledge the PGA has been very silent on this issue since Annika played in a PGA event.

Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk
    I just think she should learn how to win like Tiger did. This can't do much for her confidence to play awesome and be tied 57th
    Good point, hopefully she come away feeling good about her game & go lower tomorrow.

Birdie flagolfnut is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk
    Apparently Wie can hold her own because she fired a 1 under par 70 and is sitting in T57th right now. I don't think there is any doubt that she can play with some of these guys.

I agree I think she should learn how to win like Tiger as well, boost up her confidence by winning on the LPGA and once she's done that then go play more PGA events. Anwser me this though. Why are the ladies wanting to play on the PGA when you have Annika who practically beats everyone of them every week she palys? Also, if it's all about $$ then why not let Tiger or someone from the PGA play a few events on the LPGA to boost their ratings and crowds?

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by flagolfnut
    Anwser me this though. Why are the ladies wanting to play on the PGA when you have Annika who practically beats everyone of them every week she plays?
    Because people, regardless of gender, want to conquer new mountains...

Quote Originally Posted by Golfpeasant
    Because people, regardless of gender, want to conquer new mountains...
    That's understandable, but what about having a PGA player play on the LPGA for a few tournaments, to spice things up?? I mean put a lower class player i.e Duval who in my opinion stiil has the talent to get to where he used to be but is obviously struggling right now and I feel bad for him, but put him in a LPGA event to boost ratings ect... and see how he does.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Tiger's first PGA appearance as an amateur was age 16 at the Nissan Open where he shot 72-75 and missed the cut by 6 strokes. Michelle Wie's first appearance was at age 14 at the Sony Open where she shot 72-68 and missed the cut by one. Two years younger and she played 5 strokes better than Tiger relative to the field. At this year's Sony, she shot 74-75 and missed the cut by 6. Today she shoots a 71. At this point in Tiger's career, he hadn't even played in a PGA tournament, Michelle Wie has shot par or better in 3 of 5 rounds. I think her parents are charting her career just fine.

I can't wait for the PubLinx next week. I would LOVE to see her win the Masters exemption.

Andru
    I agree I think she should learn how to win like Tiger as well, boost up her confidence by winning on the LPGA and once she's done that then go play more PGA events. Anwser me this though. Why are the ladies wanting to play on the PGA when you have Annika who practically beats everyone of them every week she palys? Also, if it's all about $$ then why not let Tiger or someone from the PGA play a few events on the LPGA to boost their ratings and crowds?
    I don't think Michelle has an issue with confidence.

Dude we're talking about a very very talented 15 year old getting a chance to experience a pga tour event. She's holding her own at 1 under par. Tiger going to the LPGA to bully and embarass the ladies is just insane and not a good comparison.

What is the problem. She's playing well and she's drawing a crowd. It's win win for everyone, except the insecure males who can't stomach a 15 year old beating them on the golf course.

Quote Originally Posted by Andru
    I don't think Michelle has an issue with confidence.

Dude we're talking about a very very talented 15 year old getting a chance to experience a pga tour event. She's holding her own at 1 under par. Tiger going to the LPGA to bully and embarass the ladies is just insane and not a good comparison.

What is the problem. She's playing well and she's drawing a crowd. It's win win for everyone, except the insecure males who can't stomach a 15 year old beating them on the golf course.
    Yeah but I still think that winning would give anyone more confidence, and Tiger was a bad example let's say a lower class player, but you're right I don't think any male would play an LPGA event incase he got beat by a female, that's a good point.

Par stinger is on a distinguished road
    First of all, I am not the biggest Wie fan but...

...Anybody who can shoot under par at a PGA event deserves to be there. Let's cut the b(*&^%$t. This may offend some, but we are in 2005. Michelle Wie is probably taller than 70% of the men on this board. And you know what, she is also a probably lot longer than 70% of the men on this board. For her, gender is a none issue in golf and she is about to prove it on a special case. There will probably not be another phenom of her capacities for quite some time coming from the female athlete side of things.
    The sponsors are not stupid folks. They know their marketing better than us. I am sure that they add an extra exemption spot so the guys understand that she isn't taking anybody's exemption... She brings revenue to the game. The game isn't in amazing shape right now. And, guys you know what, she is a gifted athlete. From my sources, she will be turning pro probably when she turns 16, which is in October, I think.
    I say be patient and enjoy the show and the benefits that she brings to the game. Either she becomes a permanent presence on the PGA or she fades away.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Yeah but I still think that winning would give anyone more confidence, and Tiger was a bad example let's say a lower class player, but you're right I don't think any male would play an LPGA event incase he got beat by a female, that's a good point.
    Unless Tiger has been fooling us it would be a challenge for him to have his entry accepted in the next LPGA Tour event as the LPGA has a female at birth clause.

I must be getting old but if I had the chance to watch Michelle Wie play in the John Deere instead of Craig Van Horn, Scott Chipokas, Nick Whatney and John Shawyer, I would actually prefer Wie. Admittedly though, if she finished last in the field then she belongs elsewhere, but seeing that second shot on the 550+ par five run up fairly close to the hole, makes me wonder how anyone can actually question whether or not she belongs in the field, as a sponsor's exemption. When her SE's run out and she wants to qualify for the Tour full time, then she can do it following the traditional route. But until that happens, I would suggest that we all just sit back and enjoy the show, cheer her on and watch history in the making 'cause I believe that in a few years this kid is going to make a lot of you eat your words.

Par stinger is on a distinguished road
    Oh yeah - 5 birdies after a shaky start!

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    FWIW I think that if she can keep up with the men from the same tees... You go girl!
    Quote Originally Posted by stinger
    I am sure that they add an extra exemption spot so the guys understand that she isn't taking anybody's exemption...
    Really? I highly doubt that. I'd love to see you back that one up.

Pitching Wedge laiec is on a distinguished road
    Is there any articles out there as to why her dad is no longer her caddy? when did that happened and the reasons ?

cheers

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by laiec
    Is there any articles out there as to why her dad is no longer her caddy? when did that happened and the reasons ?

cheers
    I seem to recall there was issue with him not behaving properly in a tournament. After that they made a decision, the correct one, to have her use a professional caddie in the PGA events going forward.

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    When I was 15, I was watching too much TV, day-dreaming too often, and not doing anything constructive.

This girl has talent, guts and drive...why shoot her down? There's a million bits of advice (play the LPGA first, do amateur first)...how about this one: do what you want to do.

If YOU were her, and someone said "We will give you an exemption to play on a PGA tour event", would you pass it up? Ya, right.

Thread Information