CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar

Playing Hunt Club tomorrow

for the first time. Any advice?

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Yes. Invite me to play with you.

Shotmaker spidey is on a distinguished road spidey's Avatar
    Well, I've played it a few times. Here are some tidbits.

1. There are some blind tee shots. If you don't see the landing area, you'll want to be sure to ask what is up ahead. I have made some "perfect" drives that have ended up in some horrible lies, while the members have made some "strange" drives that ended up in the perfect spot in the fairway.

2. The greens will be fast. If you don't play fast greens, then get there early to use the practice green.

3. Don't be short. The course doesn't play short. Make sure you have enough club to get to the pin. If in doubt, take a bit more until you get used to it.

4. Chipping and lag putting are more important than driving.

5. Smell the flowers. You may not get back there for a while.
    [color=blue]s[/color][color=red]p[/color][color=blue]i[/color][color=red]d[/color][color=blue]e[/color][color=red]y[/color]

[color=seagreen]"Got more dirt than ball. Here we go again."
    Alan Shepard, Apollo 14 Commander, Amateur-Golfer, preparing to take another swing during his famous moon walk in 1971.
    [/color]

Lol....

Quote Originally Posted by Proforged
    Yes. Invite me to play with you.

Quote Originally Posted by spidey
    Well, I've played it a few times. Here are some tidbits.

1. There are some blind tee shots. If you don't see the landing area, you'll want to be sure to ask what is up ahead. I have made some "perfect" drives that have ended up in some horrible lies, while the members have made some "strange" drives that ended up in the perfect spot in the fairway.

2. The greens will be fast. If you don't play fast greens, then get there early to use the practice green.

3. Don't be short. The course doesn't play short. Make sure you have enough club to get to the pin. If in doubt, take a bit more until you get used to it.

4. Chipping and lag putting are more important than driving.

5. Smell the flowers. You may not get back there for a while.
    thanks for the tips.

I'll make sure to ask if I am not sure. As for the fast greens, I am sure they will be my nemisis all day.

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    It is my dream to play that course...

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    The greens at the Hunt are terrible this year so you may have trouble with putts. The south course opened only 3 weeks ago so that will give you an indication of the what kind of condition it's been in.
    Pretty much all the greens are elevated so be sure you take plenty of club on your approach shots.
    Generally even if you spray the ball off the tee you won't lose it (you'll almost never lose a ball ast the Hunt unless you hit into the one & only pond on the course) however, because evey hole is tree lined if you're not hitting it straight you'll give up at least one shot.
    Spidey is bang on - the course plays long. Make sure you're sand play is up to par - you're almost guaranteed to hit a few bunkers, there's lots.
    Last & least don't wear any clothing with non-golf logo's on them. e.g. - no labatt's blue ball caps etc.
    Good luck & enjoy.

so here's the results....

played south and west. (gold).

Course was in immaculate shape, lust and green though a number of the greens on the south were pretty spotty, though with respect to most other courses around, still pretty good. It took me awhile to get used to the elevated greens, as they seemed a bit subltle. I eventually got used to taking an extra club into a lot of the greens. I thought it played a bit long but not incredibly long (we played the blues). Funny thing is, I was only in one bunker all day, and it was a fairway bunker! The greens were well guarded with lots of bunkers and the rough was thick but not that long and quite playable. Not a lot of trouble overall to get into but I found a lot of uneven lies, possible because I didn't know where to hit it or just unlucky. Fairways were perfect, as were the tee boxes. The staff were as friendly as anywhere I have been and the other members were also quite nice as well (no snootyness whatsoever). Pace of play was 4 hours bang on, and that included a slight wrong turn where we played a hole that wasn't on the south/west set-up, doh! I played with my dad and some of the private clubs in Ontarion have a reciprocal agreement to play other clubs courses during off peak times. I hit the ball solidly all day, though my putting and short game were pretty ordinary. Shot 47-46 for a 93, not great for me but there is definitely some course knowledge required to know where to hit it and where to miss it. A great experience playing this beautiful course.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    You dog.
    You even got 19 holes in!

Thread Information