100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Raven irons

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar

Raven irons

Hey just wondered if anyone knows anything about Raven irons.. I see a set of left handed blades for sale but have never heard of them?? Price is damn cheap.... thanks.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    I have a set of the TM 102.i blades, and they feel as good as any blade I've ever hit. Well worth the money.

p.s. If you want a great performing, low price shaft to go with them, get the Mercury Savage Stepless steel fro Kona Golf.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Talk to Andre Cantin. He is a clubmaker and is familiar with the Raven line. I think The Saint might know something about them as well. Check out their site www.ravengolf.com .

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar

Raven

If you supply the model name I'm sure Jim Klassen will give you all the info about these.

My experience is only positive with the Raven line. They recently bought Kenneth Smith and I can say I haven't played a better blade. They also have wedges, drivers, woods utility woods and shafts.......

The Professional Clubmakers Society gives the Raven line high marks.

I'm putting together a set of Raven wedges this week with Savage stepless shafts.

Give the Raven's a try, then tell your friends how great they are You won't be disappointed.
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Caddy SGH is on a distinguished road SGH's Avatar
    They are the forged blades MB. I couldn't find these on the website, but they may be an earlier model. Any informatin on these irons is appreciated.

Thanks

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar

Wish I had the money for those.
    Last edited by Chieflongtee; 12-09-2005 at 05:28 PM.

Jim at Kona also has access to the Kenneth Smith blades.
    http://www.kennethsmithclubs.com/
    Just put up a set for a forum member and waiting for some feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by GJohnston69
    Talk to Andre Cantin. He is a clubmaker and is familiar with the Raven line. I think The Saint might know something about them as well. Check out their site www.ravengolf.com .
    Geoff. It is ravengolfclubs.com

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Good you cleared that up. Memory not what it used to be...LOL.

Bogie Kona Golf is on a distinguished road Kona Golf's Avatar
    Hi Andre'

I just built a couple of sets tof the Kenneth Smith Forged Milled Cavity Backs, including a set for myself. They are a third of the price of the RM's and play very similar. Distance etc. is the same. Very For giving!

Forged from Stainless Steel, they will not Rust.

The Blades are incredible too especially at $160 3 - PW

I got a special deal from Raven on these and they are selling like hot cakes. They are almost sold out though! They are Forged Carbon Steel!

Jim

SGH -

There are 2 Specials on Raven Near Net forged heads. I have both available.

The 102i ss is a MB Blade forged from Stainless Steel. It is identical to the ones on the website, but they are carbon steel. Carbon steel takes a lot more processing to finish and more care afterwards.

The 231i ss is a former Carbon Line - Cavity back - Satin Finish very attractive -

They too are Stainless Steel.

Hope this helps!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Andre Cantin
    Wish I had the money for those.
    Me too!

Say Jim, I think that it'd be a great idea if Andre and I get purchase points (like air miles) and cash them in. Then we'd might be able to afford a set of those RM's. Or at least buy your hand-me-downs....
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Chris. I believe the KS sell for $23.01 per head while the Ravens sell for $60 something per head.
    Jim. Could you post the specs on the KS and does the word "nearnet forged" have a special meaning?
    Also Monsieur Klassen I wish you would stop teasing me

Both are classy looking heads and would love to have either. The RM's would be softer since they are hand forged from 8630 Carbon Steel. Would like to demo both.

Quote Originally Posted by The Saint
    Both are classy looking heads and would love to have either. The RM's would be softer since they are hand forged from 8630 Carbon Steel. Would like to demo both.
    Could you honestly feel the difference in feel between 304 stainless(KS) and 8620 Carbon steel

Quote Originally Posted by Andre Cantin
    Could you honestly feel the difference in feel between 304 stainless(KS) and 8620 Carbon steel
    You know I don't play stainless steel.
    I don't even know what 304 stainless steel is.

I have hit 8620, 1025, 1030, and S45C carbon steel but have yet to hit 304 stainless steel. So I couldn't honestly make a judgement on that, but assumed that they would be softer. The KS I played were 1025. Aren't the Raven's you have made from 8620 or 8630 carbon steel? What if any difference do you feel? However, given the opportunity I'd love to make the comparison. hint, hint!

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    I've hit 304 stainless in in my opinion it is softer than most forgings. Almost too soft in fact as 304 stainless irons sure ding up easily.

Interesting ....Would you say that they ding up easier than 1025 carbon? What are your Hoffmans?

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    The Hoffmans are forged carbon steel. I'd have to look them up again to remember exactly which one as I can't remember. They're soft though.
    I had a set of Top-Flite Tour Pro Grinds for a season that were 304 stainless and were stupid soft. They were great sticks but looked old after two weeks in the bag and were really dinged up after a full season. I've had a couple of other 304 sets that were the same way, so I would say that yes they seemed to ding up even easier than forged sets. Only other irons I've had that dinged almost as easily were MP-33s.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    The Hoffman's are 8620 carbon. I have a pair of Ray Cook Milled wedges that are 304 stainless. The softest feeling wedges I've ever had.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

You know I don't play stainless steel.
    I don't even know what 304 stainless steel is.

I have hit 8620, 1025, 1030, and S45C carbon steel but have yet to hit 304 stainless steel. So I couldn't honestly make a judgement on that, but assumed that they would be softer. The KS I played were 1025. Aren't the Raven's you have made from 8620 or 8630 carbon steel? What if any difference do you feel? However, given the opportunity I'd love to make the comparison. hint, hint!
    The set I have is 431 stainless steel(undercut) I also put up a set of Nearnet forged. They are made of 304 stainless steel

http://www.konagolfsales.com/raven231.htm

Along the same line i once put up a set of quick strike snake Eyes made of 3 different materials. Material: 3-5 17-4 Stainless. 6-7 431 Stainless. 8-LW 304 Stainless
    http://www.golfsmith.com/products/SE2900S

Head Covers, Head Covers, Head Covers

Any clubs not looked after properly will get dinged up.

If you are going to let the clubs bounce around unprotected, and want them to look prestine, you should find the Hardest head material you can find and play with nothing but steel shafts, since your graphite shafts are also getting dinged with all the abuse that clubs naturally get.

Head Covers will eliminate damage, protect your shafts, and help retain resale value for your set!

Carbons will Rust if they are not looked after. Sometimes even if they are!

If you play a lot of different clubs you can tell the difference between Carbon and SS in the same model, but mostly on solid contact. But not nearly as much of the difference you experience when comparing CAST stainless heads to Forged Carbon or Stainless heads.

Like Carbon Steel the Forged Stainless Club heads should be loft and lie checked annually, and adjusted if necessary!

"Stupid Soft" well I guess that too is an opinion.

Is it worth the extra Money ????? If you want the best yes!

RM 101's are not for everyone. Neither are BMW's!
    RM 101's are awesome, but the average buyer we deal with will not pay the price. Our customers, with no disrespect to anyone, are looking for deals and have difficulty comparing Apples to Apples. If the price is over $80 for a set it seems to be too much.

RM 101's need to be compared to heads along the lines of Mizunos. They are hand forged, CNC Milled (Face and Cavity Back), hand ground and polished, triple chrome plated!

They are made in limited runs (do to machine time) and are only available in full sets at this time. They are not for the faint of heart, but if you will pay big bucks for cast Callaways or Pings, the quality forgings, Big name brand or not, are better value.

These are irons that should be fitted and sold in the $150 per club range!

Again IMO.

After building the Forged KS MCB's for myself, I feel that the difference is minor or will not be noticable to the majority of golfers. I have had a few people waiting for the RM's to come in and have, in all good faith switched them into the KS MCB.

Sorry for rambling on!

BTW - What is a "HINT,HINT"

Jim

I Just Won't Leave big easy is on a distinguished road
    WOW! The KS muscle back look soooooooooooo nice. Is the hosel taper or parallel? I consider asking my good buddy André to built me a set. Maybe this will give him some money to buy the Raven Prototypes.....juste pour tourner le fer dans la plaie!!!

BTW - What is a "HINT,HINT"

Jim[/QUOTE]

The Saint wants demos i.e freebies.

No freebies.. No handouts. Just would like to try the 304 SS. I'm curious on how the the SS and CS compare.

Quote Originally Posted by big easy
    WOW! The KS muscle back look soooooooooooo nice. Is the hosel taper or parallel? I consider asking my good buddy André to built me a set. Maybe this will give him some money to buy the Raven Prototypes.....juste pour tourner le fer dans la plaie!!!
    The KS is parrallel tip. I have made a set and they are really nice sticks.

No freebies.. No handouts. Just would like to try the 304 SS. I'm curious on how the the SS and CS compare.
    ¸

I' ll take all the freebies I can get.

Talk to Jim about a demo program.

The Demo program sounded interesting. I talked to Jim and he said no problem and to expect my demo's tomorrow.

Thanks Andre
    Last edited by The Saint; 07-07-2005 at 11:50 AM.

Thanks Buddy!

Thread Information