CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter birdie_putt is on a distinguished road

Hylands Golf Club Temporary Green Disaster - 30/36 temp greens for 6 weeks min.

As the title says.

Management claims to have only covered 6 greens this winter - blaming unpredictable fall weather for not being able to finish.

A lot of hearsay going around, but some think the greens are in worse shape than we are being told, could be gone for the season.

Sad to see this kind of mismanagement for a club that has hosted the Mackenzie tour.

Other courses in the area seem to be in fine shape. Played meadows the other day with zero temp greens. I know the hunt is pristine as well.

Maybe there are members on here who have more insight than I do....any feedback appreciated.

Gap Wedge Maximus67 is on a distinguished road
    I don't have any insight into Hylands but I've played on 4 different courses this year and all 4 were in the same shape - I definitely would not describe it as pristine but none of them had temporary greens either. They are all winter burnt but from what I've been told, they will make a recovery throughout the summer. The rain actually helps - although hurts the rest of the course which is still soggy.

For Hylands to have over 80% of their greens as temporary and claim that could last all year is shocking to say the least. If they were really that strapped for time to get the course in shape, did they try any options to speed it up? They could have sent out an emergency email to members asking for volunteers to come out and help one weekend to put down tarps and covers. Something surely could have been done.

I too would like to hear insight from anyone who is closer to the club and might have heard a thing or two.

Fairway Junkie Michael is on a distinguished road
    Hylands South opened with 11 temporary greens, North opened with all 18 temporary. Many courses in the area seem to be suffering from the winter we just had. Some better than others for sure but we need some warm weather to speed up some grass growth!!

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    wow. That's crazy. If I were a member I'd be pissed. I am pretty sure I saw the two greens that run along Leitrim covered this winter and noticed lots of kill on the fairway of the one running parallel to that road.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    There's no excuse for not getting the greens covered in time. It's not like we don't have long range forecasts these days.

Unfortunately there's nothing anyone can do about winterkill on the fairways. For that you're at the mercy of your soil conditions and local weather patterns (snow drifting, etc) at your location.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus67 View Post
    I don't have any insight into Hylands but I've played on 4 different courses this year and all 4 were in the same shape - I definitely would not describe it as pristine but none of them had temporary greens either. They are all winter burnt but from what I've been told, they will make a recovery throughout the summer. The rain actually helps - although hurts the rest of the course which is still soggy.

For Hylands to have over 80% of their greens as temporary and claim that could last all year is shocking to say the least. If they were really that strapped for time to get the course in shape, did they try any options to speed it up? They could have sent out an emergency email to members asking for volunteers to come out and help one weekend to put down tarps and covers. Something surely could have been done.

I too would like to hear insight from anyone who is closer to the club and might have heard a thing or two.
    Hunt is a 6 out of 10 right now by their standard. I’d say it’s good but certainly not pristine. Last July was the nicest I’ve seen the course in my ten years and we are a long way from that right now. Mind you I always feel like course condition on this forum is very subjective. This was a tough winter. Someone told me that 4 holes at Eagle Creek are currently unplayable. Has anyone else heard this or can comment from first hand knowledge.

1 Iron Bouboude is on a distinguished road
    I have played two courses so far this year and both of them could of had temp greens because of conditions.( Casselview and Pineview) This was the worst winter for golf courses that I can remember.( 40 years) Never seen Casselview like that and I know that manegement tries hard to maintain the course and prepare it.

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnyc View Post
    Someone told me that 4 holes at Eagle Creek are currently unplayable. Has anyone else heard this or can comment from first hand knowledge.
    Confirmed. I heard this from a club pro who had to move a tournament as a result of 4 holes being submerged.

5 Wood hx101 is on a distinguished road
    My neighbor is one the greens keeper and because the members wanted to play late into the season and we winter started on November 7th, the greens didn't get covered in time. I was told the type of grass on the greens can only handle 90 days of really cold/ty weather. So if they weren't covered in time they were destroyed.

Monday Qualifier 314314 is on a distinguished road
    Slowly coming back (that is, my game!) I'm glad to have the range and practice facilities (no putting at this time).

Lob Wedge S2H2Lover is on a distinguished road
    Any update on this? I have a tournament there in about a week and playing on 18 temporary greens would be extremely disappointing.

Putter Yowdriver is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by hx101 View Post
    My neighbor is one the greens keeper and because the members wanted to play late into the season and we winter started on November 7th, the greens didn't get covered in time. I was told the type of grass on the greens can only handle 90 days of really cold/ty weather. So if they weren't covered in time they were destroyed.
    Not so fast HX. In fact, one of the courses was closed for play a week earlier than the other, in order to prep it for winter. Hazard to guess how many greens were covered on that course? 0. How many temps? 18.

Rumour has it that the head greenskeeper was not even out to help his crew and volunteers apply any of the covers that did manage to make it. Lack of competence and the protection of a union are not a great combination when it comes to your greenskeeper.

Putter Yowdriver is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by S2H2Lover View Post
    Any update on this? I have a tournament there in about a week and playing on 18 temporary greens would be extremely disappointing.
    Last I heard, 18 temps on the North, 12 on the South, fairways not much better.

Thread Information