CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Moderator Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 BogeyGolf is on a distinguished road BogeyGolf's Avatar
    CedarHill is wet with 3 temporary greens (down from 5).

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    WOW--this thread is killing me Heading out tomorrow to the Nations---my regular 4some. It will be the company that will keep me going---will probably have to resort to "you did not see that" and "do I get a do-over?" What the hell--my grass is cut-no dandilions and it's supposed to be 20 degrees
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

In the Zone 1800Duffers is on a distinguished road 1800Duffers's Avatar
    Hard to find dry courses, nothing worse than losing a plugged ball in the fairway.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    WOW--this thread is killing me Heading out tomorrow to the Nations---my regular 4some. It will be the company that will keep me going---will probably have to resort to "you did not see that" and "do I get a do-over?" What the hell--my grass is cut-no dandilions and it's supposed to be 20 degrees
    Agree Brian, be kind to yourself. Conditions are not the best and its bound to get better,i hope. Enjoy the game with you buddies.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Mapleview still very nice, greens fairly quick and rolling well
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Pitching Wedge BigDog is on a distinguished road BigDog's Avatar
    Played Greensmere Legacy yesterday, best greens I've played thus far this year. Fairways were quite wet, but quite playable (only 1 or 2 plugged balls). Carts on cart paths only and in the rough so it wasn't too bad. Very little/no winter kill on the greens and the same for the fairways. After having played Prescott a month ago (wet, but the greens were decent but probably not up to their regular standards for early season play), the Canadian about 3 weeks ago (bumpy greens but the fairways were playable but a bit wet/soft, carts were cart path only), the Meadows two weeks ago (fairly wet but playable, greens were bumpy), and Stittsville this past weekend (no comment.....I suggest they review their current fee structure for the conditions of the course as there was LOTS of winter kill on the greens and the fairways...not to mention the tee boxes), my early season dollars go to Greensmere. All in all, given the winter and spring that we've had, this is no big surprise. At the end of the day, we make a choice to get out and play a game that less than 1% of the world's population gets to play so in the grand scheme of things, it's not so bad.
    Few things in life help you find sanity in the process of losing it. Golf is one of them.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Meadows was a little rough last week. Fairways and greens have a fair bit of winter kill. Course was cart path only with some wet spots. No temp greens though
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Out of Bounds rancherJ is on a distinguished road rancherJ's Avatar
    Was out at Pineview on Monday. Made frequent use of ball retriever... in the fairways...Greens are struggling mightily.
    the Sunday overnight sure rain didn't help. Brutal..
    Played Gatineau on Friday(with cart) plenty of puddles in the fairways and the cart paths had washed out spots and major puddles.
    greens.. struggling, not much grass.
    Mapleview last Saturday May 11th was in best shape of all courses I've played so far that includes Canadian (coming along nicely) and Cedar Hill (spotty fairways and temporary greens)
    Last edited by rancherJ; 05-21-2019 at 02:40 PM.

Nationwide Player Mr. Chi is on a distinguished road Mr. Chi's Avatar
    Iroquois was wet this weekend, but still playable with slow greens. They did tell us upfront that the course was very wet, so no real complaints from me. I will be back there later in the year (as usual) when it's drier!
    "Be happy, but never satisfied." – Bruce Lee

7 Iron nezzie is on a distinguished road

Dragonfly

Has anyone made it out to Dragonfly?

5 Wood hx101 is on a distinguished road
    I would say we are a month behind where we should be. I feel bad for the course owners as this will be a tough year. I hope we have a long Summer that stretches into January.....

3 Iron eez is on a distinguished road eez's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nezzie View Post
    Has anyone made it out to Dragonfly?
    Played Dragonfly today, and it's quite good. As expected, #9 is a swamp ... well that's an exaggeration, but it's darn wet. A few other holes had areas roped off to carts, and some squishy areas, but overall quite dry and good. Fairways had bad areas, but again, pretty good.

Greens were quite good overall with only a couple of greens with any significant winter kill. No temporaries.

Overall, in good shape, and as long as they don't get any more serious rain deluges, it should be back to normal pretty quickly.
    You always hit a good shot on 18 to keep you coming back.

Ace KOKO72 is on a distinguished road KOKO72's Avatar
    From the courses that I have played so far this spring, in my opinion the best greens so far have been ( in no particular order):

Loch March - excellent shape
    Greensmere - very good shape
    Hawkesbury - excellent shape
    Smugglers Glen - very good shape
    Black Bear Ridge - Excellent shape and well worth the drive

No winter kill on the greens, fairways on all courses have been wet except for Black Bear Ridge where they were not as wet as the others.

Gap Wedge Kosmo is on a distinguished road Kosmo's Avatar
    Equinelle... overall the course is in great shape. Flagstick Open was held there May 18 and 19. All the greens were opened to accommodate the tournament. As of Monday, May 20, course has returned to 4 temp greens, 2,3,11,12. It is expected that these greens will be opened up again by the end of May, early June.

Ace KOKO72 is on a distinguished road KOKO72's Avatar
    Thanks for the update on Equinelle. Can't wait to get back there when the temps are opened.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    anyone know if Stonebridge is open or when they plan to open?
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Gap Wedge ipoh is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    anyone know if Stonebridge is open or when they plan to open?

They have the front-9 open currently...will have all-18 open May 24th.

There will be temporary greens though.
    Last edited by ipoh; 05-22-2019 at 02:59 PM. Reason: spelling

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    OK finally got out to Nations today. It was better than I expected. There has been considerable winter kill but fairly dry overall. I noticed a couple of damp spots but that was it. It is not the fault of mismanagement for the conditions. It will of course take time to recover. Extremely busy but got in a 4 hour round. 56.00 is a little pricy for the conditions
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Posting Sensei justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    The Metcalfe 18-hole course is fairly dry, with only a few wet spots on a couple of holes. Cart path only for 1 to 6 and 16-18, and most of the fairways and tee boxes on these holes are in rough shape. The newer holes (7 to 15) have some dead grass in the fairways but are mostly good. About a third of the greens have significant winter kill - with the 14th being especially bad and should probably have a temp green there instead. Another third have some bad spots but are still playable (especially if you stick it close to the pin), and the last third are in good spring condition. All greens have been punched, but the holes are small and do not impact play very much.

Like most courses in the area Metcalfe has had a tough winter, but overall the 18-hole course is playable - although certainly not "pristine" by any means. The back nine overall is in much better shape that the front nine. I think they're discounting rates for the spring, but I'm a member so I'm not sure about that. From experience I would not recommend it the day after a significant rainfall if I was paying a green fee, but a couple of days later (like today) and it should be mostly dry. And it is 15 minutes from my house in Findlay Creek...

OTOH I played the Metcalfe 9-hole course on Monday and it was totally soggy and not worth playing. Cart path only on 1 to 8 - only the 9th hole is in good shape. Not worth paying a green fee right now.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Oh good. More rain on the way. Just what all the courses need not to mention people who are flooded in our area. Crappy start to the season.

8 Iron manotick is on a distinguished road

Glengarry (Alexandria)

I like this course and try to play it at least once a year

this year, sadly, I chose the wrong time

first, it just opened and there are NO SIGNS UP for any the holes; so it was easy to get lost especially #1 and #10 and playing #3 and #18 which are inexplicably right beside each other. #4 was also a bit of a challenge to figure out. So if you don't know the course lay out you are stuck. There are pictures of individual holes on the score card, but not the entire course. I had to go to the next fairway three or four times to find out where the next hole was

there are wet spots on parts of the course and we got are cart stuck in the mud in one

lots of winter kill on the greens and some of the fairways, as per a lot of Ottawa course this year; several greens were not worth putting

I will wait until we have a lot better weather before heading back to this course.
    Last edited by manotick; 05-25-2019 at 05:58 PM.

I played Pakenham today, Lake and Island 9's.

Lake 9 had a number of totally destroyed greens. Maybe 4 decent ones, and of those, only a couple were without winter kill. Fairways were their usual farmers’ field, and had some roped off areas. We were the only ones on the course (5 cars in the parking lot at 11 am), so we still enjoyed ourselves, but only because of the lack of other players and we missed the rain except for some sprinkles at the end of the round.

The Island course greens were a lot better overall, but the fairways were in similar condition with more roped off wet areas.

At nearly $50 with cart it's a bit overpriced.

Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road
    I actually feel for the golf courses locally. This winter was horrible and the spring is only slightly better. They are anywhere from a month to 6 weeks behind right now and that’s not only condition, but also in revenue. It’s a rock and hard place situation. People expect discounted rates because of poor conditions but the business model can’t sustain this for long as salaries and operating costs only continue to escalate. I will be shocked if we don’t see anywhere from 1-3 courses fold up shop in the next year. I can’t think of a worse business to be in right now, at least locally.

Scratch Player Gobble_It is on a distinguished road Gobble_It's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnyc View Post
    I actually feel for the golf courses locally. This winter was horrible and the spring is only slightly better. They are anywhere from a month to 6 weeks behind right now and that’s not only condition, but also in revenue. It’s a rock and hard place situation. People expect discounted rates because of poor conditions but the business model can’t sustain this for long as salaries and operating costs only continue to escalate. I will be shocked if we don’t see anywhere from 1-3 courses fold up shop in the next year. I can’t think of a worse business to be in right now, at least locally.
    or the other way around..some courses whose have slightly better condition will cash in. Some has changed to summer rates and it is around 40-50$/round on average with plenty of golfers itching to play with their regular courses struggling .

Anyone have an update on Sand Point or Mountain Creek ??

Lob Wedge Scorpion43 is on a distinguished road

Upper Canada

In pretty good shape. Only 1 temp green. Greens were ok and minimal winter kill on fairways.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Played Renfrew last night, during and after the rain. The course is completely dry, carts everywhere, greens in great shape, and free golf today. Get yourselves up there if you want to play in good conditions.
    Andrew

Lob Wedge Morgan585 is on a distinguished road
    Pineview is a disaster - from Wednesday, May 22, no grass on any greens and hardly any on the fairways.

Greensmere Legacy (from May 18) was in decent shape considering the comments about pother courses and the difficult winter.

Gatineau will take a while, took a beating this winter.

4 Iron SecondChance is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba View Post
    Played Renfrew last night, during and after the rain. The course is completely dry, carts everywhere, greens in great shape, and free golf today. Get yourselves up there if you want to play in good conditions.
    Does the LRT go all the way there ?

8 Iron manotick is on a distinguished road

Renfrew

Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba View Post

Agree with Sakuraba. Renfrew is the best course I have played in the area this year so far. Greens and fairways and rough were dry and in very good condition. Had no complaints about the course, only my playability.

Thread Information