CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    2 Iron Guzman is on a distinguished road Guzman's Avatar

Local Course conditions

I played Nation Sunday may 5th lots of bad spots on fair ways and greens, fairly dry overall.

Played Metcalfe 9 May 8th and a lot of winter kill on the fairways and greens, fairly dry overall.
    "Everyone is born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid" Ben Franklyn.

8 Iron manotick is on a distinguished road
    I played Casselview late last week and lots of winter kill on fairways and greens. Dry. Worst course conditions I have seen on this course

I have played Mapleview three times. Course in good shape and dry. Fairways are green and greens are good.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Thanks for the Casselman conditions, it was a terrible winter for golf courses to say the least.

Any idea of what conditions are like at Upper Canada?
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

2 Iron Guzman is on a distinguished road Guzman's Avatar
    Hammond had temp greens on saturday, greens are pretty bad
    "Everyone is born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid" Ben Franklyn.

2 Iron scrollerpete is on a distinguished road
    Played Mapleview just outside of Perth, very good condition for this time of the year and carts all over the course.
    scrollerpete

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Lefty---I decided not to play Casselview as I had a sneaky suspicion after I called them. Glad Manotick was able to help you out. Looks like it could be a brutal season
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

3 Iron eez is on a distinguished road eez's Avatar

Renfrew and Prescott

I played Prescott April 25 and May 6 and it was quite dry except near water hazards. A couple of holes had squishy fairways, but the majority were good. Greens were good, not as good as mid-season, but in good condition. By now I expect it's even better.

I played Renfrew yesterday and it was totally dry. Most greens were in good shape. A small number (4 -6?) had spots of winter kill, but were still pretty good overall. Some spots on some fairways required "winter rules" for ball placement, but generally good condition.

While at Renfrew another player said Whitetail was in equally good condition.

Until things get better locally, I think I'll be "going the extra mile" to play the outlying courses.

4 Iron SecondChance is on a distinguished road
    Has anyone played the courses in Aylmer? Probably wet ...Thanks

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Gatineau is a bit wet in spot. Greens are not the best so wait a few weeks until we get some sunshine.......maybe

Quote Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
    Gatineau is a bit wet in spot. Greens are not the best so wait a few weeks until we get some sunshine.......maybe

Thanks.

Ace KOKO72 is on a distinguished road KOKO72's Avatar
    Played Sorcier today....All greens were open but shouldn't have been. Back 9 greens were a bit better but not by much. Course very wet. In my opinion the course is at least 4 to 6 weeks away from being in good shape. No spring rates...full green fees ...not worth the money at this time.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KOKO72 View Post
    Played Sorcier today....All greens were open but shouldn't have been. Back 9 greens were a bit better but not by much. Course very wet. In my opinion the course is at least 4 to 6 weeks away from being in good shape. No spring rates...full green fees ...not worth the money at this time.
    Removed comment
    Last edited by Marcos; 05-19-2019 at 06:32 AM.

Lob Wedge Le sorcier is on a distinguished road
    In order to set the record straight, we do offer a discounted rate to our clientele in what has been a difficult and late start of the 2019 season for us but also for a lot of golf courses in the area. We will offer discounted rates until we will be able to provide a course up to the standards that we have accustomed our clientele over the past years. Has the GM and a long-time golf operator, I do understand that there’s no advantages to try to mislead clients and that is why I am replying in this thread. I would also disagree with the comment that we are 4 to 6 weeks away from being in good shape. With some decent or normal warmer spring weather, our golf course will be back to itself sooner than later. Please accept my comments as being friendly but mostly to be the words of an honest golf operator for over 25 years and that has its business and industry at heart.

Sincerely yours,

Guy Beaulieu PGA of Canada
    General Manager
    Le Sorcier golf course
    Last edited by Le sorcier; 05-18-2019 at 07:40 PM.

Please accept my apologies as I was not trying to be critical of the the course in an unfair way. I understand it has been a bad winter for every operator and you all are trying your best to get operations to the best conditions you can. My only issue was that some of the greens were not playable, and by opening them in the condition that some of them were in was only going to damage them further. there were visible deep footprints in some of the greens because they were so soft.

I like playing Sorcier as it is always in great shape...and I am sure that it will return to the shape that we as golfers and you as an operator expect. Hopefully sooner than later.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    KOKO72---I applaud your politeness in your apology. I also firmly believe that when a golfer has enough "smarts" to realize something is too wet; that maybe management would come to the same conclusion. By all means it is a rough start but don't ruin a course by opening before it's ready for play I would far rather pay full pop for a decently conditioned course. Patience can be a good thing ! OMG--did I just say that
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Putter rrottawa is on a distinguished road
    Has anybody been up to Timber Run or know of its condition?

Quote Originally Posted by Le sorcier View Post
    In order to set the record straight, we do offer a discounted rate to our clientele in what has been a difficult and late start of the 2019 season for us but also for a lot of golf courses in the area. We will offer discounted rates until we will be able to provide a course up to the standards that we have accustomed our clientele over the past years. Has the GM and a long-time golf operator, I do understand that there’s no advantages to try to mislead clients and that is why I am replying in this thread. I would also disagree with the comment that we are 4 to 6 weeks away from being in good shape. With some decent or normal warmer spring weather, our golf course will be back to itself sooner than later. Please accept my comments as being friendly but mostly to be the words of an honest golf operator for over 25 years and that has its business and industry at heart.

Sincerely yours,

Guy Beaulieu PGA of Canada
    General Manager
    Le Sorcier golf course
    Thank you Guy for clearing things up for us.

Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by KOKO72 View Post
    Please accept my apologies as I was not trying to be critical of the the course in an unfair way. I understand it has been a bad winter for every operator and you all are trying your best to get operations to the best conditions you can. My only issue was that some of the greens were not playable, and by opening them in the condition that some of them were in was only going to damage them further. there were visible deep footprints in some of the greens because they were so soft.

I like playing Sorcier as it is always in great shape...and I am sure that it will return to the shape that we as golfers and you as an operator expect. Hopefully sooner than later.
    In all honesty from the pictures I’ve seen of some local courses they simply shouldn’t be open. I saw pictures of Stonebridge last night and I was shocked. I had no idea how bad it was. I get that every course needs to be open now to help generate revenue but my goodness some are in rough shape and would be much better served to be closed as they simply can’t handle any stress right now.

Medalist cleek is on a distinguished road
    first round of the year yesterday and decided to head out to Mapleview for the first time in 15 years based on all the positive remarks. The course was in nice shape, 4.5 hour round , will go back. I like what they have done with the 7th hole remodel,not sure when that happened ?
    I will be driving a bit more distance to the play the courses that are in good shape this spring & summer. Renfrew is next on the list.

Putter GolfTrotterQ is on a distinguished road

Conditions at Loch March, Marshes and eQuinelle?

Hi!

Looking for a golf weekend in the Ottawa region in two weeks and things doesn’t look good, condition wise.

Any info about these three courses?

Thanks,

Eric

Played Loch March today and the greens are fantastic! No winter kill on the greens with only a bit on certain holes around the collars...They were firm and rolling very smoothly. As per usual the fairways are soaking wet everywhere, so cart path only rule today for those who cart.
    Kudos to the greenskeeper at Loch March....greens are almost mid summer condition!

Please see my post below about Loch March. I cannot comment on Equinelle or Marshes as I have not played them yet this year, but I did hear that they both had some temporary greens to start the season.

Gap Wedge Maximus67 is on a distinguished road
    Played Greensmere Premier (the links style one) Front 9 only today. I thought I'd be smart and go with the part of the property that was highest and would most likely be driest - I was wrong. It was soggy and soaked everywhere. My shoes were soaked and the bottom 8 inches of my pants were drenched.

Greens rolled very nicely and had very minimal winter kill, although were a bit on the slow side which is understandable. The fairways were in great shape, if it wasn't for how soft and squishy they were they would have been a lot of fun to hit off of.

I have no idea how the other 27 holes are but if the top of the property was that soggy, I can only imagine what the lower holes are like. If we can manage to go a week or 2 with good sun and heat and minimal rain, Greensmere will be pristine.

3 Iron eez is on a distinguished road eez's Avatar

Greensmere

A couple of years ago I played Greensmere Premier early in the season when it was still wet and made the same (wrong) assumption. It turned out that while the back 9 (lower, but through the woods) of Premier was still a bit damp, it was much, much better than the links style front 9 which was soggy.

Legacy opens later, so I'm assuming that it's wetter.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus67 View Post
    Played Greensmere Premier (the links style one) Front 9 only today. I thought I'd be smart and go with the part of the property that was highest and would most likely be driest - I was wrong. It was soggy and soaked everywhere. My shoes were soaked and the bottom 8 inches of my pants were drenched.

Greens rolled very nicely and had very minimal winter kill, although were a bit on the slow side which is understandable. The fairways were in great shape, if it wasn't for how soft and squishy they were they would have been a lot of fun to hit off of.

I have no idea how the other 27 holes are but if the top of the property was that soggy, I can only imagine what the lower holes are like. If we can manage to go a week or 2 with good sun and heat and minimal rain, Greensmere will be pristine.

Thanks! Heard about the temporary greens at Marshes and eQuinelle but still looking for more precise infos.

Have a great golf season!

Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by GolfTrotterQ View Post
    Thanks! Heard about the temporary greens at Marshes and eQuinelle but still looking for more precise infos.

Have a great golf season!
    Not much more to say. Nothing has been spared. Buddy of mine was at Rideau View yesterday for a junior event and he said the course was soaked and the fairways were in rough shape with tons of winter kill. He said the greens were nice but the course was nothing like it normally is. It’s just been a tough winter. The area desperately needs some warm days with 10+ hours of sunshine. And we need it now!!! 😎

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Johnyc View Post
    Not much more to say. Nothing has been spared. Buddy of mine was at Rideau View yesterday for a junior event and he said the course was soaked and the fairways were in rough shape with tons of winter kill. He said the greens were nice but the course was nothing like it normally is. It’s just been a tough winter. The area desperately needs some warm days with 10+ hours of sunshine. And we need it now!!! 😎
    Thanks!

3 Wood lastplace is on a distinguished road
    I played Rockland and it's in pretty good shape, considering the spring we've had. It's by far the best of the courses I've seen or played so far. It's wet in areas, as you'd expect, but the greens are in good shape, except for a couple.

5 Wood hx101 is on a distinguished road
    Played Manderly today (Central/North) and it's really not worth playing as it's way too wet.You're better off going to a range as the course is a disaster from winter kill and mucky fairways. I would say 2 weeks of dry and sunny weather would help all of the courses in Ottawa. It's been a t# winter for the golf course industry in Ottawa. Maybe June will bring more promise to the golf courses in the region.

Gatineau

Quote Originally Posted by Marcos View Post

I played today and it is as Marcos described - a few greens with winter kills and need some times to fill out. Slow but putting and rolling ok at certain spots

The fairway are still wet especially after the rain last night. Zero roll and a few plugged balls today. However my feet was not wet after the round so it's not too bad walking around today. Carts are out today but cart path rule only so it was slow if you have players riding in front of you.

3-4 fairways (2,9,11,14th) will large section of brown wet grass. It will be at least 2-3 weeks before those can heal and grow with warmer weather. Probably same condition with most courses inside the city now.

Discounted for spring - 35$+tax weekend , 30$+tax weekdays

Thread Information