100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Barnie

Apache Web Server/MySQL etc etc

I'm fooling around trying to set up a website using Apache Web Server and MySQL but am running into some problems.. It's been years since I've looked into this stuff and could use some help.. Does WinXP support Apache web server? I ran it on a Linux box like 5 years ago and never on a NT based system. If anyone knows how to get this thing installed ( I think I can configure it myself) then I'd appreciate it.. Also if htere are any other web servers that are more frequently used that Apache I'd also look into those.. Thanks Steve

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    There is a version of Apache that runs on the Windows platform, check out the Apache web site:

http://httpd.apache.org/download.cgi
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Barnie
    Yeah I know there is one that runs on Windows but they generally only list Win NT, Win 98 and Win2000.. I seemed to have figured it out though.. Now I just need to associate my IP with a domain name.. I'll try googling it to figure it out

What ISP are you using? You can try the dynamic DNS guys
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Barnie
    I'm using rogers and I also have a router set to my comps. The dynamic DNS guys associate a dynamic IP to a fixed www.address ? I already have a Domain name purchased but I need to associate it to my IP at home.. I know it's a dynamic IP but it only changes every few months or so.. This is more a learning experience than anything so for the mean time I don't care if I need to update my IP to my domain name every so often.. Do I have to register my IP with my Domain Name Service provider to update for the web? I'm not sure how to do this.

Barnie
    Would this do the job?

http://www.no-ip.com/services/manage...namic_dns.html

I know my ip is delivered through DNS servers which people access using DHCP.. How do I add mine to a DNS server though?
    Last edited by Barnie; 07-04-2005 at 04:06 AM.

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    If you're using PHP-Nuke or Mambo or Xoops or something like that, there are usually pre-configured installation packages that you should be able to download for free. Then you're patch it with this No-IP thing once you have your domain name registered through a registrar.

Quite frankly, I would always recommend having your site professionally hosted. It only costs $153 per year including initial domain registration. Last time I hosted my own, I ran into constant problems...

Any "YES" XP supports Apache Server.

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    You will have nothing but trouble without a static IP address.

Barnie
    Quote Originally Posted by broken27
    If you're using PHP-Nuke or Mambo or Xoops or something like that, there are usually pre-configured installation packages that you should be able to download for free. Then you're patch it with this No-IP thing once you have your domain name registered through a registrar.

Quite frankly, I would always recommend having your site professionally hosted. It only costs $153 per year including initial domain registration. Last time I hosted my own, I ran into constant problems...

Any "YES" XP supports Apache Server.

Dan
    It's more of just something I want to screw around with than anything else so on my comp is fine for the meantime.. Howerver what does $153 get you? That doesn't sound like much for a year..

As for getting a static IP will Rogers give one if requested.. My thinking is probably No right?

If Rogers catches you with a server they may disconnect you...
    Colby

Thread Information