CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Ace Travis is on a distinguished road

Pot Friendly Golf Course ??

So I’m at the Golf Expo yesterday and like many of you, I came across the Rolling Greens golf club booth which is touting itself as Canada’s first marijuana-friendly golf course. I had a little chuckle to myself and carried on with my day. After a little time to reflect I have a few thoughts as a professional marketer by occupation.

Full disclosure, I have no issues with pot usage whatsoever. Fill your boots! I just see a highly-flawed business model in several respects.

1. Growing the game- I believe I saw that they plan to not allow anyone under 19 to play; how does that make any sense?? Never mind the fact that booze is legal on every course and kids can play there no questions asked, this flies in the face of every attempt to grow the game and secure the next generation of your customers.

2. Pace of play- In a sport that already borders on the edge of being WAY too long, marketing yourself as the destination for pot-smoking golfers effectively encourages players to get high while playing. Call me crazy, but this is not likely to improve the pace of play. Think, “Dave’s not here man!”

3. Clientele- I for one would not hesitate to play if I was in the area at a cottage or something like that and I wanted to get out for a quick 9. Having said that, my recently-retired father and my father-in-law who play together 3 times a week would never go to a course that actively promotes itself as being weed-friendly. When they think marijuana, they immediately think criminal, ridiculous I know, but that is their first thoughts on it. It’s simply a generational thing. I’d have to think that there are others that share their opinion. I would also think that women would be even less inclined to play there given current marijuana usage demographics being heavily skewed towards males.

Liability- while I suppose every single establishment that sells alcohol has to assume some level of liability; for now, there is only one course marketing themselves as THE destination to come and get high and golf. Given the remoteness of Lombardy I would have to think that driving is pretty much the only way to get there and logic would dictate that a highly disproportionate number of customers will be coming to play to get high and presumably would still be high when they drive home. Good luck with that one in court if something goes south.

Lastly- If I’m not mistaken, you are able to smoke marijuana anywhere that you are able to smoke cigarettes so what is the value proposition here, what makes this course unique? Are they offering joint rolling workshops on weekends? Do you get a pot brownie from everyone in the clubhouse if you get a hole in one?

I have more thoughts but I’m probably running out of space and you have likely stopped reading by this point anyway... having said all of that, I wish them well!
    Last edited by Travis; 03-10-2019 at 10:39 AM.

Gap Wedge Maximus67 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis View Post
    Lastly- If I’m not mistaken, you are able to smoke marijuana anywhere that you are able to smoke cigarettes so what is the value proposition here, what makes this course unique? Are they offering joint rolling workshops on weekends? Do you get a pot brownie from everyone in the clubhouse if you get a hole in one?
    This was my first thought. I was there on Friday and saw the booth and I couldn't figure out what their actual value proposition was other than they were "open" about it. Every golf course I've played on for as long as I can remember I've seen guys light up a joint while playing.

So now Rolling Greens decides it's going to be "openly accepting" of it but so what? Are they going to sell marijuana in the proshop? No. Are they going to do anything different from any other golf course? Doesn't sound like it.

So I'm not sure what real difference it's going to make and like you said above, it will actually narrow down their possible customer base all for the sake of trying to jump on a trend-train.

Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus67 View Post
    This was my first thought. I was there on Friday and saw the booth and I couldn't figure out what their actual value proposition was other than they were "open" about it. Every golf course I've played on for as long as I can remember I've seen guys light up a joint while playing.

So now Rolling Greens decides it's going to be "openly accepting" of it but so what? Are they going to sell marijuana in the proshop? No. Are they going to do anything different from any other golf course? Doesn't sound like it.

So I'm not sure what real difference it's going to make and like you said above, it will actually narrow down their possible customer base all for the sake of trying to jump on a trend-train.
    Hunt club sent an email a couple months back advising that the use of marijuana on the property is strictly prohibited. Have other courses done anything similar?

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Can I get you anything ? Beer, soda,sandwiches, reefers?

Shagging Balls dmartin is on a distinguished road
    i'm 67 .. think it's outside the box thinking.. Good for them..

In our little community 4 people have already commented.. Hunt Club has issued an edict ...

booze and cigs fine..legalized pot NADA... reminds me of restrictions of old; collars, short hair, and those skirt issues for women..

Stodgy old farts!!

I don't smoke myself or do brownies but the potential for a fun time is causing great chuckles.
    Last edited by dmartin; 03-10-2019 at 01:07 PM.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    I really don't know what to say here ?????? If medical weed will help a medically ill patient, I am all for it. Using legalized pot is nuts !!!!!
    Yeah I am 74 years old but where the hell did common sense go ???? Just because booze and smokes are legal that does not mean that pot should be-------just look at the problems alcohol and nicotine has caused. It's simple really--------I just get the feeling that the lawmakers (politicians) are taking the easiest route to re-election. To quote my father " I am glad I am as old as I am" Yes I smoked weed---once--- and yes I have probably consumed some alcohol---a drink after a golf game with the guys and yeah I did smoke--pack a day for 35 years but a heart attack cured me of that. Amazing how age smartens people up
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Im a fixture here Leftymoose is on a distinguished road Leftymoose's Avatar
    Good for Hunt Club....if I knew a course was openly promoting the use of weed on the course I would never play there
    I like to call it a power fade

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Owners of private property can make whatever rules they like. Hunt Club is within their rights to restrict it so to say "anywhere you can smoke cigarettes" is not really true. Nor can you consume alcohol anywhere you like.

It is prudent for many reasons, including marketing purposes, to state a position regarding cannabis on the property.
    Cannabis friendly sure, but this is pretty odd.Then again, it's a course that isn't one of the most popular in the region, located near the biggest Cannabis corporation in the world so it may just be brilliant marketing.... or not lol, time will tell.
    Last edited by Kilroy; 03-10-2019 at 04:52 PM.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Consistently present SnazzyD is on a distinguished road
    Interesting thread in interesting times. I hadn't heard about the nuttiness of trying to keep minors off the golf course before....talk about short-term stupidity, if true. I have 2 or 3 young boys/men that I hope to bring the love of the game to, so that'd be a slap in my face for sure.

And then I'd have to justify having all those sets of clubs in the garage to my wife!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    Owners of private property can make whatever rules they like. Hunt Club is within their rights to restrict it so to say "anywhere you can smoke cigarettes" is not really true. Nor can you consume alcohol anywhere you like.

It is prudent for many reasons, including marketing purposes, to state a position regarding cannabis on the property.
    Cannabis friendly sure, but this is pretty odd.Then again, it's a course that isn't one of the most popular in the region, located near the biggest Cannabis corporation in the world so it may just be brilliant marketing.... or not lol, time will tell.
    Sorry to go sideways here for a minute but finding cigarette butts on the golf course might be one of the worst things I can think of. And you know what I find them from time to time when playing a couple of the private courses in Montreal that we have as reciprocals. I really don’t give a you know what if you smoke but don’t do it in my face and don’t leave your butts off to the side of the tee box, green, etc. Anyway rant over. Sorry to hijack the thread

In the Zone 1800Duffers is on a distinguished road 1800Duffers's Avatar
    I've always believed that weed and alcohol should be treated equalily and legally, but smoke travels and may offend non users.

Caddy Gofish2 is on a distinguished road Gofish2's Avatar
    Did I hear right that Bill Murray has some connection ?

Caddy Gofish2 is on a distinguished road Gofish2's Avatar
    “I don't care what the newspapers say about me as long as they spell my name right.”

― P. T. Barnum

This track has gone from unknown to being talked about across North America !

"No one ever made a difference by being like everybody else"

P.T. Barnum
    Last edited by Gofish2; 03-11-2019 at 12:22 PM. Reason: more info

Medalist cleek is on a distinguished road
    funny thing is that there is an OPP station a couple of km's down the road.
    Prediction....rounds will be + 4.5 hours & lots of snacks will be sold.

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Given the theme of the golf course, I actually thought it was a compliment. Folks on Ottawa Golf can form their own impressions. Here's a link to the Sun article with the photo to which I was reefering:
    https://ottawasun.com/sports/other-s...r-smiths-falls
    Last edited by MikeRaganold; 03-17-2019 at 01:00 PM.
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Consistently present SnazzyD is on a distinguished road
    • They renamed the course to "Rolling Greens"
    • Their frontman looks like he just came off a bender
    • He's wearing a custom green "Leaf" jersey

I think it was an apt description, but the link has more mileage behind it...

Putter McDuff is on a distinguished road
    Gives a whole new meaning to "pot bunkers".

Amateur BullDog is on a distinguished road BullDog's Avatar
    My thoughts exactly. I live nearby and have played the course countless times over the years but I will never set foot on the property again.

I guess being 44, I am officially a stodgy old fart. ..

Quote Originally Posted by Leftymoose View Post
    Good for Hunt Club....if I knew a course was openly promoting the use of weed on the course I would never play there

Posting Sensei justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    At the Metcalfe member's meeting on Saturday, they stated that it was prohibited on tee boxes, greens and common areas (i.e. parking lot, near proshop and restaurant, etc.), and anyone under 19 smoking weed would be expelled from the course. Adults having a toke walking down the fairway would be OK.

I got the feeling that they consulted a lot of other golf courses in the area, and this is very much a work-in-progress for all of them. I would not be surprised if something similar to Metcalfe became the norm at most semi-private courses, but whatever policy courses start with will definitely be monitored and possibly changed as the season progresses.

In the Zone 1800Duffers is on a distinguished road 1800Duffers's Avatar
    Not sure the course is approaching this with common sense. Golfers drink beer, smoke cigarettes or cigars in all of those prohibited areas.

Posting Sensei justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by 1800Duffers View Post
    Not sure the course is approaching this with common sense. Golfers drink beer, smoke cigarettes or cigars in all of those prohibited areas.
    I believe their thinking was to minimize the exposure to kids, as we have a very strong kids program at Metcalfe. Personally I don't really get the tee boxes and greens restriction (other than perhaps the first tee of each course). But as I said, I think it is a work-in-progress.

Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    I believe their thinking was to minimize the exposure to kids, as we have a very strong kids program at Metcalfe. Personally I don't really get the tee boxes and greens restriction (other than perhaps the first tee of each course). But as I said, I think it is a work-in-progress.
    I respect their decision but have no clue as to how you police these rules. No I wasn’t on the tee box I had just stepped off when I lit up... I think either you permit use or you don’t. Like smoking you could say it can’t be used within so many feet of an entrance but I don’t know how you go about managing such a rule.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1972Apex View Post
    the photo to which I was reefering:
    nicely played
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

8 Iron manotick is on a distinguished road
    Played the course last week. They have not changed the name of the sign yet. Still Lombard Glen. No mention anywhere of using or selling marijuana and I didn't see anyone with it on the course, and the course was very busy. May be just a big advertising hoax to get business?

Medalist cleek is on a distinguished road
    or they realized they did not have a sustainable business plan, make golf the primary reason for going there. I would bet there were a number of members who were not thrilled with the new concept. Have not played the course in a couple of years , decent layout , some shorter holes but you have to play all clubs in your bag. This is the course I first saw Brooke Henderson practicing at when she was 7-8 years old.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    They where on the evening news again last night CJOH. Wonder how all these people gonna get back home after?

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I think they were waiting for an official opening, heard on the radio this morning but not sure if they just did the signage.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Bogie ladygolfer13 is on a distinguished road ladygolfer13's Avatar
    i read that there grand opening is this Saturday

Thread Information