+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Let's remember that it is still March!.. I was driving by Prescott and stopped by to take these photos on Friday and with some double digit days coming it will not be long before we can play. The rain melted a lot of snow yesterday, this fresh batch will soon be gone
    Attached Images
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    Let's remember that it is still March!.. I was driving by Prescott and stopped by to take these photos on Friday and with some double digit days coming it will not be long before we can play. The rain melted a lot of snow yesterday, this fresh batch will soon be gone
    Yes, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks Luc for the pics.

Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    It’s actually shocking how different Prescott is from Ottawa. Drove by Hylands this morning and there are almost no signs of grass. Hoping for nice weather to at least get out on the range by Master’s Sunday

Moderator Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 BogeyGolf is on a distinguished road BogeyGolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BogeyGolf View Post
    I will say April 11, 2019 and will be Prescott.
    My prediction may come true....

5 Wood LCM is on a distinguished road
    Internationnal 2000 open wednesday

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Yes, they mentioned they would open earlier than most, they usually do, I may have to head there next week for a game
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

You might be right Craiger, the traffic cameras show no snow around Prescott and there was very little there last Friday on the course. I am sure all the rain we got Saturday would have melted what was left and if they got any on Sunday it is surely gone now. Just needs to dry up a bit. There is always Syracuse, Foxfire is open for this weekend
    Lefty Lucas

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    It's obviously been a long winter but here is just a little bit of good news. Let's hope it comes to pass.

https://weather.gc.ca/saisons/image_...sfe1t_s&bc=det

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    We are currently at 141 days of consecutive snow on the ground....if we get to the weekend (and we will) It will officially be the longest EVER period of consecutive snow since records began...I think well get to 155 days....just let that sink in for a second lol...the longest winter on record.

Another point, I was chatting to some superintendents last week and they were say more than 120 days of snow cover and the risk of damage is great. I was at Camelot and they had shovelled off their greens and were just covering with tarp but trying to let them breath. Not all courses can afford the labour for that.

Fingers crossed that when we do eventually get to play there wont be too much damage/winter kill

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    The Marshes shovelled off their greens last week to try and get them uncovered early. They were clear before the snow on the weekend and are now clear again.

As far as damage goes snow isn't the issue as much as ice from what I have heard.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    The Marshes shovelled off their greens last week to try and get them uncovered early. They were clear before the snow on the weekend and are now clear again.

As far as damage goes snow isn't the issue as much as ice from what I have heard.
    Ice is the killer. Snow provides insulation but with the thaws and freezes this year there is worry about turf damanged. We received an email a couple weeks back from the superintendent indicating that they weren’t sure how things would turn out but that they had accessed the greens and had taken core samples from the nursery to evaluate. Yes, this has been a long winter. I am hoping we might be able to access the range after the Masters.

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Here is the message we got from the course superintendent at Metcalfe:

Finally, snow is melting. Most greens have 5-10 cm of snow and white ice. White ice is porous and allows the turf to breath. If there was solid ice, I would be beginning to smell the gases escaping under the ice, but I am not smelling anything yet, which is a good sign. Here's hoping for a good melt the first week of April.

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    It's obviously been a long winter but here is just a little bit of good news. Let's hope it comes to pass.

https://weather.gc.ca/saisons/image_...sfe1t_s&bc=det
    I've been tracking the accuracy of their monthly forecast for a while and it's less than encouraging. I think it was two summers ago they were 100%, wrong!
    "Only one man in a thousand is a leader of men...
    the other 999 follow women." - Groucho Marx

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    Here is the message we got from the course superintendent at Metcalfe:

Finally, snow is melting. Most greens have 5-10 cm of snow and white ice. White ice is porous and allows the turf to breath. If there was solid ice, I would be beginning to smell the gases escaping under the ice, but I am not smelling anything yet, which is a good sign. Here's hoping for a good melt the first week of April.
    Is this for ice over a septic system?
    "Only one man in a thousand is a leader of men...
    the other 999 follow women." - Groucho Marx

Bogie ladygolfer13 is on a distinguished road ladygolfer13's Avatar
    I drove by Nation yesterday and took picture of hole # 5 unfortunately I can’t seem to upload picture but all I see is like 3 feet of snow on fairway. Although they have cleared the greens

Bogie mikelaurin is on a distinguished road
    No snow on ground at prescott and iroquois

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilster View Post
    April 4th courses will be open , you heard it here 1st
    What was i drinking ?
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    What was i drinking ?
    Will, your only off by a few days i suspect. Still hoping for next week.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goochy View Post
    We are currently at 141 days of consecutive snow on the ground....if we get to the weekend (and we will) It will officially be the longest EVER period of consecutive snow since records began...I think well get to 155 days....just let that sink in for a second lol...the longest winter on record.

Another point, I was chatting to some superintendents last week and they were say more than 120 days of snow cover and the risk of damage is great. I was at Camelot and they had shovelled off their greens and were just covering with tarp but trying to let them breath. Not all courses can afford the labour for that.

Fingers crossed that when we do eventually get to play there wont be too much damage/winter kill
    We will likely just come up short of the record or tie it tomorrow. It won't go past that. https://twitter.com/YOW_Weather
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Putter Cobra69 is on a distinguished road
    I messaged Prescott and they sent this message to me
    We are tentatively planning to open next Friday

3 Wood MarcArt is on a distinguished road MarcArt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra69 View Post
    I messaged Prescott and they sent this message to me
    We are tentatively planning to open next Friday
    Thank you Cobra, your first Forum message is perhaps the most positive one we've seen thus far this year... Fore!
    Last edited by MarcArt; 04-05-2019 at 06:56 PM.

Lob Wedge DJC is on a distinguished road

Napanee Golf and Country Club Open

Facebook post by Napanee Golf and Country Club last night (Thursday, April 4th): "We are hoping to open the course tomorrow, but no power carts will be available, only pull carts. Please call ahead just in case the overnight weather isn't in the course's favour. Thank you for your patience!"

Shagging Balls Dunny is on a distinguished road Dunny's Avatar
    Optimistic News from a little south east of us at Crooked Creek. Below is a Facebook post from yesterday...

Crooked Creek Golf Course. Athens,Ont.
    17 hrs ·
    Spring is in the air, no snow to be seen and the course is drying out, Weather permitting we will be open in the next few days. The course wintered well with greens ready for cutting in the next couple of days, Weather dependent we may be open this weekend. We will be posting the opening date on facebook. If your interested in green fee and membership rates, go to crookedcreekgolf.ca or send us a message. We look forward to seeing you!
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][/SIZE][/FONT]

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    What was i drinking ?
    Any other bold predictions?
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Shagging Balls Dunny is on a distinguished road Dunny's Avatar
    I meant south west
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][/SIZE][/FONT]

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Just drove by Pineview---still a foot of snow on the fairways---probably gone by next week and then a week to dry out ?????????? Probably looking at the 21st ???
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Sand Wedge golferwilliam is on a distinguished road

The course did open for play Saturday.

Yes the course did open for play on Saturday. I CALLED AND THEY ARE OPEN. NO SNOW DOWN THAT WAY. Only an hour drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    Optimistic News from a little south east of us at Crooked Creek. Below is a Facebook post from yesterday...

Crooked Creek Golf Course. Athens,Ont.
    17 hrs ·
    Spring is in the air, no snow to be seen and the course is drying out, Weather permitting we will be open in the next few days. The course wintered well with greens ready for cutting in the next couple of days, Weather dependent we may be open this weekend. We will be posting the opening date on facebook. If your interested in green fee and membership rates, go to crookedcreekgolf.ca or send us a message. We look forward to seeing you!

Cool news that courses an hour south of the city are opening (already opened or planning to open next week). But I don’t see how, when looking at the forecast and the amount of snow still on the ground we are playing here in Ottawa within the next two weeks. Hoping I’m wrong but this weather just isn’t getting better. Wa supposed to be 12 and sunny today and now calling for a high of 4 and freezing rain alert. Please end soon 🙏

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Any other bold predictions?
    I believe i will buy some more golf gear before i even hit a ball this season
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    I believe a "pace of play violation" is about to be issued
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Thread Information