CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7
    Scratch Player Gobble_It is on a distinguished road Gobble_It's Avatar
    19th tee driving range is packed

Scratch Player Gobble_It is on a distinguished road Gobble_It's Avatar
    It's only the 1st week of May...hopefully these courses will fill out by end of the month and everyone will complain that the grass is too high.

Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    Hawkesbury is claiming their greens are in perfect condition, a worthwhile drive to say the least.
    I’d be shocked if any course in eastern Ontario had greens in perfect shape right now. This was a very tough winter. This is the worst I’ve seen Hunt Club in my 9 years as a member. The course is still really good but there signs of winter stress that I’ve never seen before. Hopefully a coupe weeks of warm weather and a couple warm rains and we are back to usual.

Posting Sensei justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by cpal View Post
    Makes it tough to get in a round after work when everything in decent shape is 1+ hour away.

Was going to check out Manderly with the discounted price but I assume the conditions will be bad.

Anyone find anything within 'city limits' in decent enough shape to be worth it? And by decent, I'm mostly talking about fairways that aren't super soggy and greens that are at least somewhat respectable to putt on.
    I haven't actually played these courses this courses this year, but based on past experience and what I have seen passing by I would consider these options:

Emerald Links - looked very "emerald" from the road, with decent-looking greens and green fairways with no obvious casual water. They don't usually discount their rates in the spring, but it would probably be worth playing at a "twilight" rate and it never hurts to ask if they have a spring rate this year.

Anderson Links - did not look as nice as Emerald Links but still playable. It looked like the greens were good but it still had a little water in the fairways to deal with.

Raceview - This is the executive 9-hole course at Falcon Ridge and it is not a high-end course by any means. But unlike Falcon Ridge, it is built on an old sand quarry and so it is pretty dry in the spring. The greens are slow but are "somewhat respectable to putt on". It is a par-36 but I only use driver on one or two holes - I consider it a "practice course" that is perfect for early spring golf. I only play it after work when I know I don't have time to do 18 holes (it is only 5 minutes from my house). And it has a decent driving range and short-game practice area too.

Putter Thankstoo is on a distinguished road
    Was at Hawkesbury this past weekend. Every green is 100 % perfect, not a trace of damage. Shocking actually. However, the fairways are beyond rough with wide areas with no grass to hit from.

Ace KOKO72 is on a distinguished road KOKO72's Avatar
    Thanks for the update on Hawkesbury...love the course and its good to know that the greens are in good shape. You can always find a spot to hit from on a bad fairway but putting on a bad green is impossible.
    Going to head out to Hawkesbury this weekend.

Lob Wedge DunnyC is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    I haven't actually played these courses this courses this year, but based on past experience and what I have seen passing by I would consider these options:

Emerald Links - looked very "emerald" from the road, with decent-looking greens and green fairways with no obvious casual water. They don't usually discount their rates in the spring, but it would probably be worth playing at a "twilight" rate and it never hurts to ask if they have a spring rate this year.

Anderson Links - did not look as nice as Emerald Links but still playable. It looked like the greens were good but it still had a little water in the fairways to deal with.

Raceview - This is the executive 9-hole course at Falcon Ridge and it is not a high-end course by any means. But unlike Falcon Ridge, it is built on an old sand quarry and so it is pretty dry in the spring. The greens are slow but are "somewhat respectable to putt on". It is a par-36 but I only use driver on one or two holes - I consider it a "practice course" that is perfect for early spring golf. I only play it after work when I know I don't have time to do 18 holes (it is only 5 minutes from my house). And it has a decent driving range and short-game practice area too.
    I've played both and they are both in playable condition. Emerald West South had very good fairways which were mostly dry but greens need time, 14 out of 18 had large areas with no growth. Some on the west not puttable.

Anderson greens looked routing but we're all puttable. Lots of areas on the South in fairways with no growth yet.

Both very playable, but not necessarily at full price. Anderson at $31 after 3pm was the best option.

5 Wood gdwlkspld is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilster View Post
    Just got back from Renfrew , course is in good shape , not wet at all , lots of leaves around tho , which made finding golf balls a right pain in the arsenal.
    Greens aren't bad , not a lot of winter kill , but a few patches on some of the greens , $38 with a cart is well worth the drive.
    Wilster:

Other than the comment about leaves, you nailed it! I've got four rounds in at Renfrew and can't say that leaves have been an issue.

Greens crew, other than summer student hires, is now in place. Fairways were being cut yesterday.

Potions of the lowest areas of #10 and #18 are still soft but other than that the course is dry and green.

Renfrew has also been allowing power carts without restrictions since it opened a week ago.

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gdwlkspld View Post
    Wilster:

Other than the comment about leaves, you nailed it! I've got four rounds in at Renfrew and can't say that leaves have been an issue.

Greens crew, other than summer student hires, is now in place. Fairways were being cut yesterday.

Potions of the lowest areas of #10 and #18 are still soft but other than that the course is dry and green.

Renfrew has also been allowing power carts without restrictions since it opened a week ago.
    We lost 4 balls due to leaves on fairways and 1st cut , #5 & #15 were the problem holes , the rest were fine #nailedit
    Last edited by Wilster; 05-09-2019 at 01:14 PM.

4 Iron SecondChance is on a distinguished road
    Has anyone ventured out to Dragonfly, Arnprior. Perth courses ?

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Any reviews on Casselview--heading out on Wednesday
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Can anyone comment on the status of the greens at both Equinelle and Marshes lately....in earlier posts both had temp greens and I was just wondering if they have improved over the last week or so. both my favourite courses and dying to get out to either one.
    Thanks

Played Hawkesbury today, May 11th. The greens are absolutely spectacular. not a speck of winter kill on the greens. The fairways have a lot of kill on them but there are spots of green grass to hit from. Worth the drive for the greens.....and the green fees can't be beat....$25 walking after 2:30!!

9 Iron jjw99 is on a distinguished road jjw99's Avatar
    went to cloverdale on saturday it was $38
    and here a big surprises its was wet wet wet
    all greens sucks

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    Any reviews on Casselview--heading out on Wednesday
    I would be interested to know Big Mac once you play, heading to Upper Canada next week so I hope conditions are similar or better!!
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Played Greensmere Legacy today and the greens are in good shape. No winterkill on the greens to speak of. Just need a bit of warm weather to get them growing. Fairways on the other hand are very soggy. $34 walking at 2:30...not a bad deal at all.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    In another thread Casselview was said to be hurting from winter kill so best give it some time to recover
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Anyone know what Upper Canada is like?
    Lefty Lucas

Golf Nut justdoit is on a distinguished road justdoit's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondChance View Post
    Has anyone ventured out to Dragonfly, Arnprior. Perth courses ?
    played dfly today..was quite pleased with overall condition.greens very nice, couple of soft kind of wet fairways mostly #9 as usual..the biting flies were out in full force

Thread Information