100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    3 Wood Sab is on a distinguished road Sab's Avatar

Les Vieux Moulins

Looking for some quick help. I want to play Les Vieux next week but I have heard it has not been great this year. Anybody out there tell me what condition it is in?

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sab
    Looking for some quick help. I want to play Les Vieux next week but I have heard it has not been great this year. Anybody out there tell me what condition it is in?
    ???
    Where did youhear that?
    I've played it a few times this year and it was in decent shape for when I played it, (last time was May 19). I havent heard anything to the contrary
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Medalist faldo is on a distinguished road faldo's Avatar
    Excellent shape this year. One of my Fav's...

Enjoy,

3 Wood Sab is on a distinguished road Sab's Avatar
    Must be a bad rap from years past. Thanks for the help, I shall play.

Birdie flagolfnut is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Sab
    The Vieux is in great condition. I've heard that they are some of the best greens around this year.

Shagging Balls upanddown is on a distinguished road upanddown's Avatar
    played it last weekend - in very good shape

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    Bring your bug spray!!!!! Lotsa of bugs but the greens are roling great!
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

1 Iron Daft_driver is on a distinguished road
    I cannot imagine how Vieux Moulins deserves all the praise from previous posts...
    Well, the greens were in fantastic shape. The rest, meh.

Fairways were ROCK hard. My wrists and shins are still tender...Also took a couple of good gouges out of my irons from the thin soil.
    Either the sprinkler heads were the best hidden ever, or they rely on Mother Nature for their moisture??
    The bugs. The bugs. Absolutely unbearable.

I know this might sound like a rant...but the layout is great and I suspect a few years of maturing will do the course some great good. Not returning until then.

93LE
    Ditto, beautiful layout and great scenery. Greens were true and perfect, if a little fast and hard.

But the fairways, wow I think I've found one of the few courses without a sprinkler system and it shows. They really should invest in a sprinkler system, the course is suffering for it. Speaking of which I didn't see any sprinklers around the greens either so it makes me wonder if they water those by hand/hose.

Barnie
    Quote Originally Posted by Daft_driver
    I cannot imagine how Vieux Moulins deserves all the praise from previous posts...
    Well, the greens were in fantastic shape. The rest, meh.
    I agree.. When reading this thread I was amazied at the praise it received lol I haven't played it this year but it sounds like it's in the same shape it is every year.. Rock hard with quick greens that don't hold. I like quick greens but the course is only so so..

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Unless we get a lot of rain this course will always be pretty dry. Same as the Gatineau. Story has it that the original owners did not follow bylaws and just about emptied the neighbour's well. Then it went bankrupt and was managed by a trust company. I must admit though. The layout is beautiful and the course has a lot of potential.

Barnie
    Yeah it could for sure.. Aside from sprinkler system additions I think the course would need some work as well. There are a few too many easy holes in my opinion.. Not that I don't appreciate them to help out my score but some are pretty short. Par 5's especially. But overall the course layout isn't too shabby.

Played the Chateau Cartier 2 weeks ago and just could not believe the difference in fairway texture. It felt like walking on a cushion. Of course it is privately owned therefore money is invested back into the course. It is not only about sprinkler system.It is also about course grooming if there is such an expression. Kingsway has installed a sprinkler system couple years back and it shows. Yet and this is also true for other courses in this area the grass texture is so so. Whatever grows grows. All kinds of different types of weeds in the fairway. No reseeding. Skunks tearing huge patches of dead grass caused by white grubs. Allowing carts after a couple days of heavy rain. It's all about $. If you don't own the underground I don't see any reason why actual management would invest money back into the course aside from keeping the greens and tee boxes in good condition. Wouldn't you do the same? I know I would.

Barnie
    Les Vieux Moulins is gov't property like Champlain?

Quote Originally Posted by Barnie
    Les Vieux Moulins is gov't property like Champlain?
    Don't think so. I may be wrong but last I heard it belongs to creditors. I was also told that it is currently managed by the same people as the Champlain.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Karam
    ???
    Where did youhear that?
    I've played it a few times this year and it was in decent shape for when I played it, (last time was May 19). I havent heard anything to the contrary
    May was pretty wet. That could explain it.

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 93LE
    But the fairways, wow I think I've found one of the few courses without a sprinkler system and it shows. They really should invest in a sprinkler system, the course is suffering for it. Speaking of which I didn't see any sprinklers around the greens either so it makes me wonder if they water those by hand/hose.
    The entire course was built on solid clay. Drainage would be a major issue if they had a good sprinkler system. I think that originally, the course wasn't even supposed to be where it is because of the clay but that was the only location that they were allowed to build on.

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Played the course for the first time this morning. I like the layout - I can see where some holes are a little short from the whites or blues for the long hitters (alas, I'm not one of them) but they've added gold tees that look to be pretty challenging. And the hazards are well placed, so you can't always be aggressive on the shorter holes.

The greens are the best I've played this year - not a bare spot to be found and speedy fast. I had no problem holding them, but I could see where players with a lower ball flight would have a problem. The fairways ARE hard - but they are not nearly as bad as Gatineau (c'mon Andre, how could you mention this course and Gatineau in the same sentence?). If you take deep divots, play it in the spring or after it rains for a few days.

However, I had a 6:30 tee off time and I don't think I will ever do that again. The bugs make the course virtually unplayable at that time of the day. I had suntan lotion with bug spray AND Deep Woods Off and the mosquitos were still unbearable until I reached the back nine. I would hate to play the course on a cloudy day.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    I like the layout as well and find it has the potential to be a classy course.
    I could see in early June signs of it hardening up and that's too bad as it is close to the city and a good track. I just don't understand that if you plan on building a golf course why you wouldn't put in an irrigation system.
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Saint
    I just don't understand that if you plan on building a golf course why you wouldn't put in an irrigation system.
    Becuase of the $$$$
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Quote Originally Posted by The Saint
    I like the layout as well and find it has the potential to be a classy course.
    I could see in early June signs of it hardening up and that's too bad as it is close to the city and a good track. I just don't understand that if you plan on building a golf course why you wouldn't put in an irrigation system.
    It has an irrigation system, it just hasn't been used in years. This year they are digging up the sprinkler heads and starting to use them.

Quote Originally Posted by flagolfnut
    It has an irrigation system, it just hasn't been used in years. This year they are digging up the sprinkler heads and starting to use them.
    From which source. By source I mean from a well, a nearby river or what have you.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre Cantin
    From which source. By source I mean from a well, a nearby river or what have you.
    There's a pond on #8 in which alot of water drains into. Well at that pond there is now a very powerful pump that is pumping water into the other ponds that are usually dry at this time of season i.e # 18 pond. As far as where the water from that pond comes from I think that water just naturally drains well into that pond. I'll find out more in detail soon.

Thread Information