100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Loch March

Barnie

Loch March

I played Loch March the other day after reading much fanfare about the course. Everyone I seem to talk to really likes it but I was kind of dissapointed with it although to be fair I did only play the front nine. The front nine took us 2hrs and 40 mins to play which I'm told is a regularity there and it was hot as hell so we decided to get some money back and break off. I don't know, for $60 there are much better options to choose in my opinion. I played Stonebridge today for the Twilight rate of $35 and it was amazing. Loved it!! Fescue mixed in with lots of water and some trees (not many but some) In my opinion Loch March is overpriced and over complimented. I don't think there was a hole on the front nine that stood out in my mind as being memorable. The conditions are nice and staff are friendly but other than that am I the only one who thinks it's not that special? I'd take Stonebridge any day of the week!!

Medalist faldo is on a distinguished road faldo's Avatar
    " In my opinion Loch March is overpriced and over complimented."

Bang-on buddy. I've no great desire to ever get back there either.

1 Iron Tanglegrip is on a distinguished road Tanglegrip's Avatar

Back 9 is Better

I've only played Stonebridge once last year (playing it again this Sunday), so I'll have a better opinion after this weekend.

IMHO the back nine at Loch March will give you more of a challenge than the front. Each hole on the back presents a different challenge and all but once I've found #15 a killer. Looking at the land they had to work with I do think that they could have brought the water into play a bit more often.

The one thing about Loch March is its great early season conditions. I played just after it opened this year and there was virtually no winter kill on the greens, virtually perfect. Compared with other courses in the area this year that was amazing.

You are right though, Loch going from $55 last year to $60 this year does bring into question how many times I will play it. Eagle Creek is just a bit futher drive away and has a more interesting layout IMHO, and I'm looking forward to Stonebridge on Sunday.

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnie
    I don't think there was a hole on the front nine that stood out in my mind as being memorable.
    Sure you played the front nine???? How can number 7 not be memorable? Loch March is a tough test of the game and is normally in great condition. However since they do not have members they rely on tournaments to make $$$. Unfortunately it is not a good golf course for non-golfers in general -- the price for missing a fairway is too high there -- so you are looking at long round especially if you play after noon.

GarthM

Barnie
    Was number 7 the par 3 semi island hole? It was pretty nice but I wouldn't say memorable.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GarthM
    so you are looking at long round especially if you play after noon.
    Not always.

Teed off yesterday at 3:40 and was finished just after 7PM. It was hotter as stink, and my game sucked *****, but the course was in good shape as always.

Andru
    I think Loch March is kind of nice. I'm still curiopus about all the fan fare for stonebridge. Personally I think it sucks, but to each his own.

Barnie
    I guess it is to each his own.. Stonebridge to me is far better than Loch March but I guess I am a fan of the fescue grass. Something about the way it makes a golf course appear.

Andru
    I guess it is to each his own.. Stonebridge to me is far better than Loch March but I guess I am a fan of the fescue grass. Something about the way it makes a golf course appear.
    I agree fescue has a nice look to it for sure. I'm a big fan of links style courses and how beautiful they are. I'm just not impressed with the layout at stonebridge. I'm no expert in course design or layout. However I have been reading quite a bit on the subject and have taken an interest in the design aspect. I also stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    I played Loch March the other day after reading much fanfare about the course. Everyone I seem to talk to really likes it but I was kind of dissapointed with it
    While I like Loch March, I'd always rather play Eagle Creek first, Packenham after and Le Sorcier...all better value

Now a Stonebridge Fan

Played Stonebridge today (Sunday) and found it more challenging than Loch March. Maybe its because I've played Loch March 18 times in the past 2 and a bit years since I started golfing again, and this is only my second time at Stonebridge. IMHO Stonebridge ranks up there with Eagle Creek as far as difficulty, maybe its just the different type of course, but I found that I really had to play well. Greens are also very fast and devilish. I'm glad that we were out early (06:50) as they must be murder when they dry out.

Stonebridge has more strategically placed bunkers than Loch March (so I found out), but I love the light sand. Water comes into play much more often and even when it doesn't you're thinking about it on the forced carries. Being a high handicapper (23.3) it really forced me to think my way around the course and pick a spot to hit to, even if just to set-up a good approach.

Love the course and will be back next weekend.

AftOf245
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanglegrip
    Played Stonebridge today (Sunday) and found it more challenging than Loch March. Maybe its because I've played Loch March 18 times in the past 2 and a bit years since I started golfing again, and this is only my second time at Stonebridge. IMHO Stonebridge ranks up there with Eagle Creek as far as difficulty, maybe its just the different type of course, but I found that I really had to play well. Greens are also very fast and devilish. I'm glad that we were out early (06:50) as they must be murder when they dry out.

Stonebridge has more strategically placed bunkers than Loch March (so I found out), but I love the light sand. Water comes into play much more often and even when it doesn't you're thinking about it on the forced carries. Being a high handicapper (23.3) it really forced me to think my way around the course and pick a spot to hit to, even if just to set-up a good approach.

Love the course and will be back next weekend.
    I played Stonebridge this morning as well. The course was in great shape, however the starters let this guy on the course that didn't know how to hold a golf club, he was holding it backwards watching it really screwed up my game Next weekend at 06:40 I won't watch his swing

Quote Originally Posted by AftOf245
    I played Stonebridge this morning as well. The course was in great shape, however the starters let this guy on the course that didn't know how to hold a golf club, he was holding it backwards watching it really screwed up my game Next weekend at 06:40 I won't watch his swing
    Guess I just want to be a lefty

Caddy beefstuf is on a distinguished road beefstuf's Avatar
    I enjoy lochmarch a lot. I have not been there this year, but the greens always roll tru and the course has a nice variety of holes. The only hole I do not like is 8. But there are bad holes at every course.

I think that this course is one of the better ones in Ottawa.

Gap Wedge gronker is on a distinguished road
    Wow. I must be in the minority. I LOVE Loch March. And I don't really like Stonebridge (although I had my best round of 77 there! ;-). I don't know how #1, #7 #15 (I think that's the par 3 entirely over water) are not memorable. I don't know of any memorable holes on Stonebridge? Maybe #2 (par 3 over water).

I guess it's just preference. I love trees (hey, I'm not a tree-hugger! ;-) and I don't like open courses (like Stonebridge, Marshes). And I love changes in elevation, which Loch March gives you a bit more.

The one thing that is good about SB is the average round time. Although they don't always get that round under 4.5 hours.

Just my 2 cents. Maybe not even worth that...
    gronker

Hybrid oldmaninblack is on a distinguished road
    Played Loch March again yesterday with some friends who were under the impression it was expensive.

They all came away planning to play there again and agreeing that it is one of the best courses around.

My 2 cents ... I don't like Stonebridge or Kanata because I don't like playing in people's back yards (not literally because I mostly play in the fairway)
    My 3 favourite public courses are Eagle Creek, Marshes and Loch March.
    At $60, Loch March is a bargain.
    Played in 3:45 ... and we were dawdling

Thread Information