CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    1dash1
    Hogeboom:

It seems that my answers are of no help. I'll withdraw.

Sand Wedge Hogeboom is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by 1dash1
    Hogeboom:

It seems that my answers are of no help. I'll withdraw.
    Actually, your answers (and most of the other responses here) have been quite helpful -- please don't get me wrong!

I'm just trying to get to the bottom of things, that's all. I feel like my situation isn't quite resolved, and so I keep prodding and prodding until that confused feeling goes away.

Gary Hill indicated in messages #9 & #13 that the Exception to Rule 24-2 prevented me from getting relief for a left-handed shot. However, the USGA disagreed with this.

I would like clarification on that.

So far, clarification has only come in the form of (and I'm paraphrasing here) "Different Rules Officials give different rulings" () and "The Exception to 24-2 only applies if you're deliberately circumventing the rules" ().

The whole thing just leaves me feeling

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogeboom
    Actually, your answers (and most of the other responses here) have been quite helpful -- please don't get me wrong!

I'm just trying to get to the bottom of things, that's all. I feel like my situation isn't quite resolved, and so I keep prodding and prodding until that confused feeling goes away.

Gary Hill indicated in messages #9 & #13 that the Exception to Rule 24-2 prevented me from getting relief for a left-handed shot. However, the USGA disagreed with this.

I would like clarification on that.

So far, clarification has only come in the form of (and I'm paraphrasing here) "Different Rules Officials give different rulings" () and "The Exception to 24-2 only applies if you're deliberately circumventing the rules" ().

The whole thing just leaves me feeling
    What the USGA gave you was the framework for making the ruling, not a ruling. What I believe Gary was saying, and I'm paraphrasing here, was that it is hard to make the ruling without being there and seeing the exact circumstances, knowing the skill of the golfer, etc, etc. The two were never in conflict.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

1dash1
    Hogeboom:

Thanks. And I think you'll have to get your answer from the source.

Post script:

I humbly suggest terminating the line of inquiry regarding why different rules officials see things differently.

Focusing on the second question regarding the exception to Rule 24-2 would more quickly resolve your dilemma.
    Last edited by 1dash1; 07-21-2005 at 01:59 PM.

Sand Wedge Hogeboom is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by 1dash1
    I humbly suggest terminating the line of inquiry regarding why different rules officials see things differently.

Focusing on the second question regarding the exception to Rule 24-2 would more quickly resolve your dilemma.
    Good point.

The Exceptions outlined in various USGA Decisions seem to fall into 2 categories:

1. Player invokes 24-2 to avoid unplayable lie. (e.g., Decision 24-2b/16, where the ball was stuck in tree roots)

2. Player takes abnormal stance solely to create interference. (e.g., Decision 24-2b/18.)

My situation falls into neither category. I decided that a left-handed shot was my best chance of advancing the ball forward. If such a shot is deemed to be "unnecessarily abnormal", then please tell me what, exactly, constitutes a reasonable, "normal" shot under these circumstances?

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogeboom
    My situation falls into neither category. I decided that a left-handed shot was my best chance of advancing the ball forward. If such a shot is deemed to be "unnecessarily abnormal", then please tell me what, exactly, constitutes a reasonable, "normal" shot under these circumstances?
    In a two word statement:

It Depends!

Without being there and seeing the exact circumstances of the drop, the lie, your stance, the ability to swing a club a certain way, the movement of the clouds and the sun and the gravitational pull of the earth, etc, etc, it cannot be determined by a Rules Official in the manner that you are trying to get it done. There are a bunch of circumstances that need to be looked at at the time it is occurring. The USGA Rules person gave you the procedure to get it done next time, it's just to hard to get back to it in this instance and come up with the definitive ruling.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    ♪♪♪ This is the thread that never ends, and it goes on and on my friends. Some people started typing it not knowing what it was. And they'll continue typing it forever, just because, this is the thread that never ends...♪♪♪

C'mon folks, sing it with me!
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

"Richard"
    so what was ever decided about this thread? Had it been tiger woods making the shot left handed he would have gotten relief from the cart path? But since it was a 40+ handicap he didn't get relief playing it left handed?

RulesNut Gary Hill is on a distinguished road Gary Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    so what was ever decided about this thread? Had it been tiger woods making the shot left handed he would have gotten relief from the cart path? But since it was a 40+ handicap he didn't get relief playing it left handed?
    The answer has nothing to do with the handicap held by the player.

The answer has everthing to do with whether or not the player would play the shot left-handed IF the cart path were NOT there.

Is the player playing a left-handed stroke because that is necessary under the circumstances OR is the player chosing to play left handed (from a list of other options such as a backhanded sideways chip, right-handed punch out, etc.) because he thinks he will get a favourable ruling?

"Richard"
    i thought in this case the player was playing left handed not because of the path but because of the fence...

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    But he was seeking relief from the path.

If the path was not there, would he have used a left handed stroke, is the defining question.

Par Kiwi battler is on a distinguished road

let me take a stab at this one

its a pet rule of mine ....

The balls on the fence side of the path ........so if the fence is close enuff to make a right handed shot impossible id have to play left handed , drop near the right hand side of the path "fairway side " then elect to play right handed , getting a 2nd drop further towards the fairway , then play a normal right handed shot

However , if the fence didnt make the right handed shot impossible the relief would be for a right handed shot , seeing me drop on the strip beside the fence , then id have to play left handed , and take the first 2 drops .....

wether you end up dropping 2 times or 3 ,you still end up fairway side playing right handed

be easier for the club to declare the path as the boundary on this hole huh........

Thread Information