Quote Originally Posted by spidey
Perhaps you should just tell us your credentials?
See my Profile.

The situation in this case has already been established that relief from the original condition may be taken. I'm not changing that.
As has subsequently been made clear, there was a misunderstanding of the original situation. The original author was not talking about 6", he was talking about 16" to 21" away from the boundary fence.

...as I said in my post, it's on the 6" swath of grass. Now, think, man. 6". How long are your shoes? How wide are your shoes. If you try to stand on the fence side of the ball, the ball at address will be between your feet. You cannot swing at it without taking a divot out of your FootJoys.

You must either play to the fairway or to tee. Those are the only reasonable choices. If you play to the tee, your feet are now on the path and and you are taking a different shot than that of the original relief. If you play to the fairway, then at least one shoe will have to be on the path, again a new shot different from the original one and dictated by circumstance. So why, since you are taking the only reasonable shot in either case and either one is interfered with by the immovable obstruction, can't you get relief?
I've never argued that the player was not entitled to relief. I've questioned the process in which such conclusion was drawn. If the process was valid, the conclusion (most likely) was valid. :checkered