CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    3 Wood MarcArt is on a distinguished road MarcArt's Avatar

Winter Conditions (at Simulators).

Hi all, I played at Pineview on Sunday. The second last simulator on the right had a pronounced rut in the carpet at the tee, and a bump on the putting carpet in line with the hole.
    My driver swing speed was 115 Mph, with a 284 yard drive... not likely, when I mentioned this to a friend who'd played on the same simulator recently, he said his club head speed registered at 130+ Mph (though he does hit it a mile).
    The first simulator on the right seemed alright on Sunday, when I watched some friends play their round. Just a few glitches with the ball flight turning right as if the ball had hit a bird (not a birdie).

Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road
    Has anyone tried the simulators at falcon ridge? Considering something to try and keep the game fairly sharp. Thought about the OAC as an option. I see the Falcon Ridge sells a 20 use package for the simulators. I welcome any feedback.

6 Iron Ian is on a distinguished road Ian's Avatar
    I played the sims at Falcon Ridge last year. I liked the numbers (seemed to fit fairly well with my summer length, etc), but what I didn't like was that each hole is isolated. In other words, if you hit it outside the "bounds" of the hole, it gave you an unplayable lie and a 1 stroke penalty. You couldn't hit it on to the next fairway and then play it back from there.

The obvious solution is to hit it straight and keep in in your own fairway, but that is easier said then done! (=:

YMMV but I hope this helps.

3 Wood MarcArt is on a distinguished road MarcArt's Avatar
    Glad you mention Falcon Ridge... it is my favourite location. It is quiet (not a bar scene, just two simulators) the HD System used is quite accurate. I have played there for four years and enjoy it most of all. I hear Irish Hills has simulators, perhaps a similar alternative, but I have never played there.
    Last edited by MarcArt; 11-29-2018 at 04:53 AM.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnyc View Post
    Has anyone tried the simulators at falcon ridge? Considering something to try and keep the game fairly sharp. Thought about the OAC as an option. I see the Falcon Ridge sells a 20 use package for the simulators. I welcome any feedback.
    I used the Falcon Ridge simulators last season and I'm doing it again this year.

I only use the driving range mode. It isn't the most accurate simulator but give you a good idea about contact quality based on ball speed.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Posting Sensei justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    I'm pretty sure I have used every simulator that it is out there, including the ones at Falcon Ridge, Pineview and of course Golf-O-Max. Each simulator calculates things a little differently but you should never get fooled into thinking that the results you get on a simulator are always going to resemble your actual summer game. You must ALWAYS remember that every simulator is a GAME.

I'm sure that each and every one of us knows when we have hit the ball perfectly within a second of contact, regardless of whether we are on the golf course or at a simulator. Most simulators reward those shots appropriately, although they each have their individual tendencies. It is the shots that are not quite perfect that can mess you up on a simulator.

From my experience most simulators tend to reward low, boring drives for distance because the ball speed into the screen is higher (but if you hit it too low then it will be interpreted as a worm burner and you get nothing). The "sweet spot" for most simulators tends to be around 3 feet off the floor - hit it hard there and the ball will go a mile.

I have also found that most simulators do not read spin well (if at all), so if you hit normally a draw then it will often read it as a push because your ball flight into the screen was to the right. Since most simulators have this bias, then if you do not adjust the aim point so that the middle of the fairway is directly in front of your tee, then this bias can be worse and significantly affect the result of your shot. You should always remember that the computer only has about 6 feet of ball flight to calculate your end result.

The simulators at Pineview and Golf-O-Max are totally based on graphics, while the ones at Falcon Ridge are based on course photography. That is why the ones at Falcon Ridge tend to give you more OB results - if they don't have a photograph for your position on that particular hole then you are considered OB.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    I'm pretty sure I have used every simulator that it is out there, including the ones at Falcon Ridge, Pineview and of course Golf-O-Max. Each simulator calculates things a little differently but you should never get fooled into thinking that the results you get on a simulator are always going to resemble your actual summer game. You must ALWAYS remember that every simulator is a GAME.

I'm sure that each and every one of us knows when we have hit the ball perfectly within a second of contact, regardless of whether we are on the golf course or at a simulator. Most simulators reward those shots appropriately, although they each have their individual tendencies. It is the shots that are not quite perfect that can mess you up on a simulator.

From my experience most simulators tend to reward low, boring drives for distance because the ball speed into the screen is higher (but if you hit it too low then it will be interpreted as a worm burner and you get nothing). The "sweet spot" for most simulators tends to be around 3 feet off the floor - hit it hard there and the ball will go a mile.

I have also found that most simulators do not read spin well (if at all), so if you hit normally a draw then it will often read it as a push because your ball flight into the screen was to the right. Since most simulators have this bias, then if you do not adjust the aim point so that the middle of the fairway is directly in front of your tee, then this bias can be worse and significantly affect the result of your shot. You should always remember that the computer only has about 6 feet of ball flight to calculate your end result.

The simulators at Pineview and Golf-O-Max are totally based on graphics, while the ones at Falcon Ridge are based on course photography. That is why the ones at Falcon Ridge tend to give you more OB results - if they don't have a photograph for your position on that particular hole then you are considered OB.
    That explains a lot of my shots where we play in Hull. I knew that there was something wrong when i cant hit a hook or draw to save my life on these. Thanks for the info.

2 Iron gentles is on a distinguished road
    The HD golf sims are photo based (rather than radar like a Trackman) and often struggle to get a good read of spin...that's why you often get a 7 iron that comes out like a rocket and flies the green by 30 yards, and your thin strikes go as far as the good ones.

Last year at Pine View they had some metallic stickers that you could put on the ball to get a much better spin reading which really helps to get a more accurate estimate of how your ball is flying. I wonder if a metallic sharpie would do the trick too?

As for the "juiced" simulators...seems like everyone has the same issue with them, and they just need to be calibrated properly!

I was really surprised at how little info I could find about HD golf sims on their website - seems they are less focused on the technology of the launch monitor and more focused on offering a complete simulation package. I would stick to a place with a more reputable launch monitor if you want accurate ball and (especially) club data...like a TrackMan, Foresight GC, or Flightscope

6 Iron EagleEagle is on a distinguished road
    Played Pineview yesterday evening and they have added 2 new HD simulators and I believe screens.The graphics are the best I have seen on a simulator,very clear and bright.The distance calibration seem very good.I heard they will be replacing the other 2 soon as well.
    The rut under the hitting Matt in simulator 2 still needs to be levelled, but we just moved the ball a bit left or right to level ground.This issues should be addressed.a little leveling concrete under the Matt or new Matt depending on cause would fix it fast and cheap.
    Really enjoyed my game,can’t wait to play again.

5 Wood Pine View is on a distinguished road Pine View's Avatar
    We have replaced all 4 of our projectors and recalibrated the simulators. Software is fully up to date and the sims are running smoothly.

The image is crisp and clear. Full high definition visuals you only get from HD Golf.
    This is not the Pine View you remember from years gone by. Come back and see what we have done and what we have in store for the future - www.pineview.com

Thread Information