CorporateGolfXtra 2023

View Poll Results: Make 2 selections, what do you guys/girls prefer?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • 52 Degree Wedge

10 23.26%
  • 60 Degree Wedge

15 34.88%
  • 5 Wood

14 32.56%
  • 2 Iron

4 9.30%
+ Reply to Thread
    Caddy beefstuf is on a distinguished road beefstuf's Avatar

52 or 60 and 5 wood or 2 iron

Hey Guys, I have been managing quite well with just a 56 degree cleveland wedge. Probably for the past 6 years. I now want to add to the bag, considering I can carry 3 more clubs. What does everyone think. A 52 or a 60 degree wedge? A 5 wood or a 2 Iron. Also I guess you cannot make 2 choices in the poll, ah well.

"Richard"
    this is a no brainer for me. 52 and 5 wood. I can't hit long irons and i just used to use my lob out of the bunker but now I just open up the sand it its just as good

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Well this is just my opinion, but I would go with a 52 instead of a 60 and definitely a 5-wood instead of a 2-iron unless you are a current member of the PGA Tour.

Ya you know that is what I was aiming at as well. I am very consistent with my 56 out of the sand, and am a bit of a traditionalist around the green using my PW a lot of the times..... So I think you are definately on to something. As for the 5-wood I am tired of hitting choked down, knock down 3 woods into par 5's. I guess maybe a 5-wood would prevent me from having to always hit my 3 wood from yardages between 215 and 250.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    I have a 52, a 60 and a 5-wood. That plus a putter, a 3 wood, a driver and 3-pw =14 clubs

Uber Poster LBH is on a distinguished road LBH's Avatar
    I prefer a 2-iron over a 5-wood. I had a bad tendency of hooking or skying my old 5 wood so I purchased a Taylor Made LCG 2-iron (to match my iron set) - I love it. I have tried only one 2-iron equivalent hybrid, didn't really like it - still prefer the feeling of my 2 iron.

As for the 52/60 wedge thing, I own a 53 deg Trusty Rusty wedge and it's once the best clubs in my bag. I find that I mis-hit 60 deg wedges (sculling them) more often than a 3/4 53 deg wedge shot (for the equivalent distance).
    Last edited by LBH; 06-30-2005 at 01:28 PM.

1 Iron Tanglegrip is on a distinguished road Tanglegrip's Avatar
    5 wood without a doubt over the 2 iron. It has become my favourite club and if I'm having problems with my driver or 3 wood I will even use it off the tee on long par fours and on par 5's. My usual FC's are always ticked off when they've used driver and I'm ahead of them with my 5 wood!

Off fairway or light rought it's the club I go to from 200 yards to 180. I am lucky that it's the straightest hitting club in my bag.

For the 52/60, I'd suggest the 52. I have 52/56/60 and use the 52/56 much more often than the 60.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    It depends what you gaps are. Are you a long hitter?, if so get rid of 3 & 5 wood and get a 4 wood. Still works for those par 5's but good for that par 4 you need to hit the fairway on. When you are 120 yrds in do you need a club that you can take a full swing with or can you contol distance with tempo and length of your back swing? How far do you hit your PW? I hit mine around 125-135 and needed a GW for the 110-125 yardage. If you have a gap in your distances then the 52 is a no brainer, but if you have good with wedges and need/like to play that high/short flop shot. A 60 works well. I have always been able to hit my 60 very well, even when I was shooting in the 100+ it was one of my go to clubs around the greens. Sure you can take a 56 and open in to 60, but I can take a 60 and open it to 64+ which is great when you have a short bunker shot with a high lip in front of you and no room to land the ball. I hav pulled of some pretty lucky shots with that little baby!
    Look at your yardage and go form there, I have never seen the need for a 3 wood and a 5 wood unless you are not a long hitter and use you 5 wood for 200 yrd shots.
    Denny

dbleber, you raise some really good points. I hit on average about 280-290 off the tee. I am a relatively long hitter. I have this three wood Callaway III that I absoulutely detest off the tee. That uniflex shaft causes me to pull my shots more often than not. It is however a clutch club from the fairway, go figure. I am kind of looking for a go to club for the tee box to hit on those holes that are tight and do not need a driver. Maybe a four wood (titanium) would be a good idea.

As for the wedge situation I thought about a 60 for some time. I would hate to just buy a club for around the green flop shots, and deep bunker shots are few and far between. I am torn between a 52 and a 60. I can hit a three quarter wedge in there when I am about 110. But this is a shot that I would like to have a full swing on. Playing all over the Ottawa area it is hard to determine if I hit from 110 or from 80 more. I really love the 56 so dropping that and getting a 52-58 is kind of out of the picture ($$$ is also a factor).

Atleast you guys have given me some really good points to think of.

Cheers.

3 Iron ros_bif is on a distinguished road ros_bif's Avatar
    i'd go for the lower deg. wedge (50 & 54 are perfect for me), and the 2 iron...nfotunatly when I got my 2iron they weren't making them for m set anymore (hogan apex edge pro), butI as able to get one from the nike pro combo set and love it...most recently I also picked p a 16 degree taylor made hybrid which is a great companion for my long irons since it can come out of any lie

much prefer the 2 iron to a 5 wood because it's so much easier to control off the tee box than the hybrid or a 5 wood... just a pain out of any bad lie, which is why I have the hybrid... I'd say my 2 iron comes off the tee on 1/3 of the holes I play in a round.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ros_bif
    i'd go for the lower deg. wedge (50 & 54 are perfect for me), and the 2 iron...nfotunatly when I got my 2iron they weren't making them for m set anymore (hogan apex edge pro), butI as able to get one from the nike pro combo set and love it...most recently I also picked p a 16 degree taylor made hybrid which is a great companion for my long irons since it can come out of any lie

much prefer the 2 iron to a 5 wood because it's so much easier to control off the tee box than the hybrid or a 5 wood... just a pain out of any bad lie, which is why I have the hybrid... I'd say my 2 iron comes off the tee on 1/3 of the holes I play in a round.
    Besides par 3's how many par 4's and 5's on your course? Let's say there are 5 par 3's on your course.That leaves you with 13 holes and 1/3 of that is 4.33. Are those 4.33 holes short par 4's? They better be or must be or otherwise it is a very tight course. I would much rather come into the green from 130 on down than having to hit another 2 iron or 5 wood to the green. Unless you hit the 2 iron 225 of course.

Quote Originally Posted by dbleber
    Sure you can take a 56 and open in to 60, but I can take a 60 and open it to 64+ which is great when you have a short bunker shot with a high lip in front of you and no room to land the ball. I hav pulled of some pretty lucky shots with that little baby!
    Look at your yardage and go form there, I have never seen the need for a 3 wood and a 5 wood unless you are not a long hitter and use you 5 wood for 200 yrd shots.
    Denny
    Denny. Personally I'd be afraid to open a 56 degree sand wedge with 12 degrees of bounce unless the lie was perfect and the ball sitting perty. Otherwise the likeliness of blading/skulling it are very high. I by far prefer your 2nd solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre Cantin
    Denny. Personally I'd be afraid to open a 56 degree sand wedge with 12 degrees of bounce unless the lie was perfect and the ball sitting perty. Otherwise the likeliness of blading/skulling it are very high. I by far prefer your 2nd solution.
    I agree, thats why I carry the 60°.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I've been playing four wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) for several years now.

I find that from 120 yards and in this combo gives the lots of options depending on lie, wind, etc. The 60* is especially good from the sand. For most shots just keep it square and swing. For really long blasts I can use the 56 or even the 52.

As to the 2 iron vs 5 wood, go for the 5W. It will give you a much higher, softer landing shot.

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent
    I've been playing four wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) for several years now.

I find that from 120 yards and in this combo gives the lots of options depending on lie, wind, etc. The 60* is especially good from the sand. For most shots just keep it square and swing. For really long blasts I can use the 56 or even the 52.

As to the 2 iron vs 5 wood, go for the 5W. It will give you a much higher, softer landing shot.
    That leaves you with 10 clubs. Mind telling us what"s in your bag.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre Cantin
    That leaves you with 10 clubs. Mind telling us what"s in your bag.
    Putter, Driver, 3W, 5W, 5i-9i, 4 wedges.

The last club is either a 3i or 4i. I'm currently experimenting with a short (4 iron length) 3-iron that I use for shots in the 205-185 range. That's my "nuke it" to "lay off it" range for the 3i.

I'm also going to bend the 4i strong a degree or two and see how that works.

I went with this mix because realistically, I'm not going to be trying to stuff it from 190+ out and I get pretty tight spacing from 5i down with this setup, which I like. The 5w (Wishon 515) is easy to hit high and I can also keep it low if I have to so it's good for a range of shots, e.g. 180 into a strong breeze or 215 with a soft landing required.

514_type r
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent
    Putter, Driver, 3W, 5W, 5i-9i, 4 wedges.

The last club is either a 3i or 4i. I'm currently experimenting with a short (4 iron length) 3-iron that I use for shots in the 205-185 range. That's my "nuke it" to "lay off it" range for the 3i.

I'm also going to bend the 4i strong a degree or two and see how that works.

I went with this mix because realistically, I'm not going to be trying to stuff it from 190+ out and I get pretty tight spacing from 5i down with this setup, which I like. The 5w (Wishon 515) is easy to hit high and I can also keep it low if I have to so it's good for a range of shots, e.g. 180 into a strong breeze or 215 with a soft landing required.

I have a similar setup, I also dont use a 3 irons and play 3-5 wood and 4 a wedges system, this is by far the best short game setup you can have. Im a long hitter off the tee (290+ drive) and i thus rarely use the 3 or 4 irons. On a 550 yards par 5, my second shot to the green will leave me about 250 yards on average if i hit a half decent drive..thus i can use my 3 wood. On long par 4, let say 470 yards, usually i hit driver-7 iron to the green. 5 wood will give you a higher trajectory orver your 2 iron and its prolly the hardest club to hit on the face of this earth!!

as for wedges, i play 4 wedges (45(pw)-50-56-60), I hit about 95-100yrd with my 60, 105-110yrd with my 56, 115-120yrd with 50 and 130-135 with my PW, 140-150 with my 9.. and so on. That way I have a 5-10 yards gap in between my club which give me more option depenting on the condition.

If your decent off the tee(240+), 75% of your shot will be under the 130 yards mark and you wont use your 2-3 irons much.

[QUOTE=514_type r 5 wood will give you a higher trajectory orver your 2 iron and its prolly the hardest club to hit on the face of this earth!! [/QUOTE]

Find yourself an old 1 iron, get some friends, beers and watch as half decent golfers become instant 36 handicappers!

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    I love my 60* Cleveland wedge. It's my 80 yard club. I also use it from the sand and anytime I have a short shot around the green where I need a high trajectory.

I'd guess it's probably the 4th most used club in my bag after the putter, pitching wedge and Driver.

MJF

3 Iron ros_bif is on a distinguished road ros_bif's Avatar
    Besides par 3's how many par 4's and 5's on your course? Let's say there are 5 par 3's on your course.That leaves you with 13 holes and 1/3 of that is 4.33. Are those 4.33 holes short par 4's? They better be or must be or otherwise it is a very tight course. I would much rather come into the green from 130 on down than having to hit another 2 iron or 5 wood to the green. Unless you hit the 2 iron 225 of course.
    i play mainly at manderley...

on the south 9 for ex. i would use the 2i from the blues on #1 to get out to ~110-130, #4 to get out to 100-130 (depending on blue or white), #5 to get to the turn ~100-130, #6 if playing from the blues, and #9 to get to the edge of the creek if playing from the whites...

i find it has so much more control than my hybrid, which i reserve for use off the fairway and out of rough, where the 2i can be a pain...definatly one of my fav. clubs off the tee though.

Thread Information