CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    5 Wood rossigm is on a distinguished road rossigm's Avatar

Course suggestions for Phoenix and Tucson

Hi,

I just booked an Arizona golf trip with Voyage Gendron for this coming April. On top of the courses included in our package we would like to play a few extra rounds. I’m looking for course suggestions in the Phoenix area and in the Tucson area. And yes the Stadium course at TPC Scottsdale falls in the mix but not all the guys are ready to pay the $300 U.S. green fee.

Thanks for your help.
    Ross

Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road
    Talking sticks has 36 nice holes. Red mountain ranch and las sendas in Mesa are both nice. Keep an eye on golfnow. Lots of deals in the 30-50% off range. Golf in Phoenix isn’t cheap. Even with the deals I’d budget $100 a game

Thanks John!!!

2 Iron scrollerpete is on a distinguished road
    In Phoenix I would suggest Lookout Mountain, lot’s of elevation and the scenery is out of this world. Just outside of Phoenix going east I’d Gold canyon they have two beautiful golf courses Dinosaur and Sidewinder you will not be disappointed with either course. As far as I’m concern Talking Stick is overrated for the price it is a resort golf course and too difficult for the normal golfers to enjoy.
    BTW I will be there from mid December to mid March. Snowbirds for the winter
    scrollerpete

Quote Originally Posted by scrollerpete View Post
    In Phoenix I would suggest Lookout Mountain, lot’s of elevation and the scenery is out of this world. Just outside of Phoenix going east I’d Gold canyon they have two beautiful golf courses Dinosaur and Sidewinder you will not be disappointed with either course. As far as I’m concern Talking Stick is overrated for the price it is a resort golf course and too difficult for the normal golfers to enjoy.
    BTW I will be there from mid December to mid March. Snowbirds for the winter
    In peak season there is very few options that aren’t grossly overrpriced. Rates in October can basically double in Feb-Mar

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Yep--Arizona is not cheap but there are deals if you hunt. I played Antelope Hills many years ago--it is near Prescott. It was a riot--35.00 with a cart. Amazing views and holes. I think there are 36 holes now and the prices have definitely risen. It was worth the play then and probably still is. When I visited TPC Scottsdale--it took me over half an hour to muster up the courage to ask for a logo ball
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

2 Iron scrollerpete is on a distinguished road
    Another very nice course is the Raven golf course on Baseline Road in Tempe/Phoenix area. You should be able to get discount at Grayhawk another very nice course. Sine you are going in April the rate start to go down in mid March, so you will get lot’s of good deal.
    scrollerpete

Golf Pig of the Year 07,08 rpangman is on a distinguished road rpangman's Avatar
    Quintero GC is a real treat. Prices should be reasonable in April. We have it booked for Nov 6th this year and got a good deal.

Bogie Kak is on a distinguished road
    In Tucson , I played many, here's two I recommend: #1: Ventana Canyon golf course, a real gem, beautiful scenery you can play it in the $60-$70US range on some days if you book with Teeoff.com or other online bookings,#2 Dove Mountain golf , where the PGA used to play the Accenture Match play Tourney, same as Ventana for price if you book online, if not it's in the $100US range for both

Hey Kak,

Thanks for the reply, actually both those course are on our radar. We are actually staying at the Ventana Condos and playing both Ventana courses, also part of our package are Quarry Pines, Arizona National and Sewailo golf courses.

I contacted the ProShop at Dove Mountain they told me that they could do a 90 days advance booking for us, the green fees would be $169 U.S. I told them not to bother, I'll take my chances with Golf Now and book 7 days in advance.

We should arrive in Phoenix around 11:00am local time so we are looking for a course located between Phoenix and Tucson to play on our drive over. Poston Butte Golf Club looks interesting ��

Thanks
    Ross
    Last edited by rossigm; 11-05-2018 at 02:38 PM.

Bogie Kak is on a distinguished road
    Enjoy Ross, Arizona, Sewailo and Quarry very nice too...

Paul

Golf Pig of the Year 07,08 rpangman is on a distinguished road rpangman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rossigm View Post
    Hey Kak,

Thanks for the reply, actually both those course are on our radar. We are actually staying at the Ventana Condos and playing both Ventana courses, also part of our package are Quarry Pines, Arizona National and Sewailo golf courses.

I contacted the ProShop at Dove Mountain they told me that they could do a 90 days advance booking for us, the green fees would be $169 U.S. I told them not to bother, I'll take my chances with Golf Now and book 7 days in advance.

We should arrive in Phoenix around 11:00am local time so we are looking for a course located between Phoenix and Tucson to play on our drive over. Poston Butte Golf Club looks interesting ��

Thanks
    Ross
    You will enjoy Quarry Pines. We have played it many times. Fun, but challenging.

7 Wood strong49 is on a distinguished road strong49's Avatar
    I went to Tucson 7 years ago and played Arizona National and Quarry Pines as part of our package. Quarry Pines is a short course but a very special layout....the name says it all. Stayed at Ventana condos and they are awsome. Our backyard was giving on the 5 th hole if i remember. Didn't get to play Ventana course but we went to the resort and it is just spectacular. You'll have fun.

Thanks Strong49, now this winter is going to to be even longer :-( .....5 months to go!!!!!

Can’t wait

Lob Wedge 4eyedgoalies is on a distinguished road 4eyedgoalies's Avatar
    We usually go the the Phoenix area at least once each year and have been able to play quite a few of the courses, so here is my list.

Quintero ( probably the best public course in Az).
    WeKoPa (both courses).
    Boulders (both courses).
    Karsten course at ASU (it’s a Pete Dye course and it will be shutdown to build student residence in the near future. And it’s about 15 minutes from the airport.
    The Phoencian (just reopened).
    You can look at a Troon Card, if you want to play the courses they manage, for some real good discounts. They manage Troon, Quintero, Lookout Mountain, Kierland, Boulders and a lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedgoalies View Post
    We usually go the the Phoenix area at least once each year and have been able to play quite a few of the courses, so here is my list.

Quintero ( probably the best public course in Az).
    WeKoPa (both courses).
    Boulders (both courses).
    Karsten course at ASU (it’s a Pete Dye course and it will be shutdown to build student residence in the near future. And it’s about 15 minutes from the airport.
    The Phoencian (just reopened).
    You can look at a Troon Card, if you want to play the courses they manage, for some real good discounts. They manage Troon, Quintero, Lookout Mountain, Kierland, Boulders and a lot more.
    Great list. On an aside my in-laws live in Mesa so I’ve been three times in the last 8 years. Every time I go I play ASU and every time I play it they say the same thing; this will be the last year we are closing. It’s actually a beautiful course with some tremendous history with a who’s who in ncaa golf having played the track

3 Wood Jasonreg is on a distinguished road
    Noooooo! I have not been to Phoenix in a few years but used to go quite regularly. I always enjoyed playing the ASU course - very sad to hear it is closing. I really enjoyed the layout and conditions of the course and I found the rates very reasonable. Give it a play for sure.

Lob Wedge 4eyedgoalies is on a distinguished road 4eyedgoalies's Avatar
    Yeah, ASU will move to Papago course next year.

3 Wood jimrobin is on a distinguished road
    Through GolfNow we were able to play the TCP Scottsdale Champions course for $75 (tax included) in Dec 2017. This isn’t the Stadium course that’s $250USD+ but still a beautiful one. Guy we got paired up with said they are1a and 1b. The week just before we were there, they had a Seniors tour qualifying tournament play on the cheaper course.

In the Zone 1800Duffers is on a distinguished road 1800Duffers's Avatar
    I have golfed at Longbow a few times, situated in Mesa.

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    My wife and another couple were there about ten years ago in April.

We played Ventana - Canyon and El Conquistador - Canada in Tucson. Both very scenic and in fantastic condition.

We took a drive up to play Sedona and spent a night there. The Scenery is amazing. Course only opened a week before we got there due to winter but was in good shape in April.
    "Only one man in a thousand is a leader of men...
    the other 999 follow women." - Groucho Marx

Back from a wonderful week in in Tucson Arizona, to summarize in one word, WOW!!!! A must for any golfer. Booked this trip with Gendron Travel (Voyage Gendron) everything went smoothly. Accommodations are fantastic (The Greens at Ventana), condos with pools, BBQ’s, full kitchen, two bedrooms and baths, parking at the door etc…..well located, 2 minute drive from the grocery store where they sell everything including beer, wine and alcohol, multiple restaurants next to the grocery store. Golf courses included in the package were:

- Arizona Nationals
    - Quarry Pines
    - Sewailo (Home of the NCAA 2018 amateur champions)
    - Ventana Canyon course
    - Ventana Mountain course
    - We also added to our package Dove Mountain (Home of the PGA Dell match play championship up until 2015)

All courses were in mint condition and quite challenging, I’d been worn but I’ve never seen greens this fast and in immaculate condition!!!

I’d go back in a heartbeat!!!

Thread Information